• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon and Sunset Overdrive are the most important games this generation

weird. if i wanted to praise creativity and art direction for being important, I'd think more indie games would be a better fit

though splatoon is quite creative, sunset is looks pretty iterative of insomniac

Blobbers

Wishful thinking, OP. Noble, but wishful. I don't predict either of those games will sell that much and certainly not enough to shake the conventions of their respective genre to the core.
But then again, I don't make predictions for a living. I'm not, as you say, a "predictionator".

weird. if i wanted to praise creativity and art direction for being important, I'd think more indie games would be a better fit

though splatoon is quite creative, sunset is looks pretty iterative of insomniac

Iterative indeed. Everything about it reminds me of Ratchet & Clank on PS3, which is by no means a bad thing.

No way. I think a game like Shadow of Mordor will be. SoM isn't the best, but the Nemesis system is going to be ripped and put into a bunch of games.
Ugh if that does indeed happen I hope it is in other genres at least. Batman and Assassins Creed are damn boring to me now.

Stare-Bear

Banned
Nah...

ve7slzlvrg15jxudlew5.jpg

tanooki27

hope sunset's good, no way i'd define it as generation defining from what I've seen. looks fun but stacked next to Splatoon it's cookie cutter

FloatOn

This game looks rad as hell but I doubt many other games will even attempt something like this.

It doesn't work within the confines of a popular genre like the games I mentioned in the first post which limits it's potential impact and influence.

hope sunset's good, no way i'd define it as generation defining from what I've seen. looks fun but stacked next to Splatoon it's cookie cutter

I'm not talking generation defining. I'm talking influence and impact on popular genre.

Dark Souls was my game of last generation and that has only just a few games that are similar to it now.

Synth

This game looks rad as hell but I doubt many other games will even attempt something like this.

It doesn't work within the confines of a popular genre like the games I mentioned in the first post which limits it's potential impact and influence.

I'm not talking generation defining. I'm talking influence and impact on popular genre.

Dark Souls was my game of last generation and that has only just a few games that are similar to it now.

All of the bolded are why people don't consider the two games you've chosen to be amongst the most important either.

Let's be honest, neither of them is going to influence other games going forwards. I'd be surprised if combined the had as much impact as Dark Souls.

Sesha

I think throughout this generation we will see a lot more games with colorful graphics and more over-the-top, cartoony settings. All the popular mobile games all have colorful graphics and wacky zaaaany scenarios and designs. We seem as a general audience to be moving away from the drab grey/brown modern war and military scifi settings

I'm predicting by the end of this generation everyone will be sick of pastel, neon or saturated colors, and will be wishing for grey, futuristic environments or more nature-based environments with more natural colors and little saturation.

FLEABttn

Banned
Sunset Overdrive is similar to Jet Set Radio in the sense that Sunset Overdrive is as important to this generation as Jet Set Radio was to two generations prior.

Jet Set Radio at least had cell shading going for it. I'm not sure what SO has to offer the industry at large.

I'm predicting by the end of this generation everyone will be sick of pastel, neon or saturated colors, and will be wishing for grey, futuristic environments or more nature-based environments with more natural colors and little saturation.
It honestly annoys me that we cannot have a balance. The PSX/N64 era balanced out the realistic and colorful games. We had Goldeneye, MGS, Perfect Dark compared to B-K, Crash, and Spyro.

Those games might actually turn out very good, perhaps even great. But when I think of important games, that will influence others...those 2 titles do not come to mind. Imo, they, especially SO, will not have the impact of WiiSports, COD 4 MW, Minecraft, Dark Souls, Skyrim, Mass Effect, or Journey to name a few.

Dr. Buni

I own a wiiu I just don't see the appeal with splatoon. I might need to see more maybe I missed something.
That is fine, to each their own. I own a Wii U but I don't see the appeal of Hyrule Warriors nor I am excited for the future mainline Legend of Zelda.
Not even close being relevant... Titanfall is more relevant than those games...
A damn shame that is.

While I do think Splatoon actually is a creative and different kind of game, Sunset I just view as another 3rd person action game that actually has color.

Klart

You're giving WAY too much credit to these games. Look up some gaming history.

Possible great games? Sure.

Most important this generation? Never.

If we'd get a benchmark title that (for example) uses the new VR-technology in a really good way, now that would be "important this generation".

Insomniac has been very creative and has had great art direction since Ratchet and Clank so, no I don't think Sunset is the MOST IMPORTANT GAME OF THIS GENERATION.

Hope it don't suck.

Splatoon is literally Battle Painters
lmao

It honestly annoys me that we cannot have a balance. The PSX/N64 era balanced out the realistic and colorful games. We had Goldeneye, MGS, Perfect Dark compared to B-K, Crash, and Spyro.

Nah man one console needs to dominate every other one. Or something. I don't know I do not think its good either way.
*Splatoon gifs*

Thanks Flash, I am on my phone and have no access to these gifs, at least not easily.

SykoTech

Disagreed. Neither of these games are important, or even that original, for the generation.

Ratchet & Clank has been doing the colorful, creative TPS/platformer thing since 2002. Sunset Overdrive in particular is largely borrowing from that franchise. Which is absolutely fine, especially since it's the same developer, but still. There's also Garden Warfare. So yeah, making a colorful TPS isn't anything new at all.

Neither is claiming territory. That's had to have been done a million times over. Even by...well, Ratchet & Clank. If you want to try and claim that the original part comes from painting instead of capturing a base/node fine, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear that some other game beat Splatoon to that punch as well (Graffiti Mode in one of those Tony Hawk games comes to mind). And regardless, I don't think such a small gimmick can elevate a game to being "the most important of the generation".

Sunset Overdrive does look pretty fun though. Not perfect, but nice. Should definitely be Insomniac's best since the masterful A Crack in Time, and would be the first game I would get if I got a Xbox One.

Splatoon...not so much. Never been big on multiplayer-centric shooters. They quickly burn out for me. And Splatoon in particular looks like one that will get boring after a few hours.

I don't disagree with your opinion of these two games but I think you're being very dismissive of alot of other games out there.

Additionally, if both of these games bomb, it won't suddenly be a disaster for other games fitting your criteria.

They are important, yes. But let's not pretend they are the only games that are creative. Games like The Wonderful 101 and Captain Toad are very unique takes on their respective genres with great art direction. We all know how TW101 fared though. And more unique games are on the horizon... The Witness, No Man's Sky, etc. are looking to shake up conventions. I'm not trying to diminish the importance of SO and Splatoon, but rather pointing out that it's not really accurate to single out those games as the most important of this generation.

EGM1966

Extremely unlikely OP and that's just going by other titles already known never mind what's going to appear before the generations ends.

SO for example looks fun but is pretty much Ratchet & Clank the teenage version with Resistance for design influence from what I've seen.

Splatoon looks fun too but hardly hugely different from similar great games like Plants vs Zombies.

Neither look hugely creative though and while their art direction is nice it's hardly new either.

Rime for example looks easily as interesting even as it borrows from Ico in some ways - and it looks to have arguably more risky mechanics (zero combat etc).

SO has an awesome and unique art direction but gameplay wise I don't think it's really anything earth shattering. Haven't played it so I'm not the best to make the judgement, but just off videos it looks a lot like infamous to me with a lot more rail grinding. Do love infamous though so Id have picked it up if it was multiplat.

If you want to try and claim that the original part comes from painting instead of capturing a base/node fine, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear that some other game beat Splatoon to that punch as well (Graffiti Mode in one of those Tony Hawk games comes to mind).
The claiming the territory part isn't what makes it unique. It's the traversal through the ink.

domlolz

Banned
if sunset overdrive flops it isn't indicative of anything and it isn't an important game at all

I think throughout this generation we will see a lot more games with colorful graphics and more over-the-top, cartoony settings. All the popular mobile games all have colorful graphics and wacky zaaaany scenarios and designs. We seem as a general audience to be moving away from the drab grey/brown modern war and military scifi settings

you only have to look at upcoming games to see this isn't true at all. the majority of the big budget games are still going to be shooting for photorealism. lower budget/mobile games being more colourful isn't a new thing at all??????

Top Bottom