• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon and Sunset Overdrive are the most important games this generation

Azlan

They both have the potential to be memorable games when looking back at this generation - but most important games of the generation? I rather doubt it myself.

siah

Banned
I'm not exactly sold on Sunset Overdrive, but for those saying that it's simply a more colorful Infamous crossed with Tony Hawk, please consider one thing. The cars function as jump pads. Why? Because they need to for gameplay purposes, and it doesn't have to make sense.

Now how many games do that? Even in stuff like Jet Set Radio, when you see a car... it's a fucking car. I appreciate just how much Sunset Overdrive is willing to accept that it's a game, and things aren't required to match the expectations we would have of their real-life counterpart. Infamous, Tony Hawk, Dead Rising, Saints Row, Jet Set Radio etc... simply wouldn't do these things.

Very true. I think that is a big deal when discussing SSOD is that it doesn't try to take itself seriously, which happens too much these days.

gelf

I don't get Sunset Overdrives art direction. I'm a Sega blue skies man for life and yet I don't like Sunsets look for whatever reason. I love Jet Set Radios style but don't like this, I can't put my finger on why though, its just missing something.

The most important game will be Bloodborne and The Witcher 3. If these games outsell everything till Batman arrives, then the shift will go back to adventure games. We need more swords/magic and less guns.

I honestly don't think Bloodborne will be a massive seller, no matter how good it is.

It's too niche.

SmokyDave

What a strange pair of games to pick.

I'd imagine the most important games this generation will be on PC or iOS, certainly not two console shooters.

Platy

Sunset Overdrive is important because it is an Xbox exclusive that looks like a B tier Nintendo game, which is RIDICULOUSLY cartoony and colorfull and "kiddy" for an Xbox exclusive =P

...which is kinda sad because is that kinda of game that I expected Microsoft to have WAY MORE when they bought Rare =/

JaseMath

I can kind of get behind this from an art direction perspective. The only reason I'm even mildly interest in SO is because the color palette is so full.

"most important" is quite a bold and dramatic statment.

I completely agree that Splatoon's gameplay looks unique, and game's art style is ace. I am really looking forward to it. I have my fingers crossed that it maintains an active community. I intend on playing the shit out of that game.

As for SO, art syle is a bit grotesque, graphiclly i think it looks great. Gameplay wise it just looks like Ratchet and Clank, but with a douchebag instead of Lombax. Which is not a negative in my book, I LOVE R&C, so anything that plays like it is always gonna be DAY 1 purchase. But yeah, i think i will love it, but "most important"? No, its nothing new.

Since the ps2 era gray/blue/brown graphics became a thing in AAA games. Slowly, we saw some efforts by different studios to avoid that trend.

I'd love SO an Splatoon became a trend in terms of art direction, that way we'd see the return of the best game series of all time
Jet Set Radio

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
To people downplaying Sunset Overdrive:

How many games like Jet Set Radio has there been since Jet Set Radio?

But it's not Jet Set Radio!

Sure the game's colorful, but do you buy a game based on how colorful it is, or actual gameplay and design?

1) Creativity
Both Splatoon and Sunset Overdrive seem to fall into familiar territory with their respective genres but both games breathe new life into it either by unconventional travel methods, unconventional weaponry or in the case of Splatoon making the goal NOT to kill the other player but to claim the majority of the map.

There's nothing unconvential about Sunset Overdrive's travel methods. We've alreay seen wall running, power line surfing, and rail grinding. And Ratchet and Clank already brought us the wacky weapons.

I disagree.

While Splatoon might be the most original of the two, I see it as little more than a shooter with cool gimmick. It's far more interesting than most shooters are, but that isn't to say Splatoon is very strong in terms of creativity, it just means that in most shooters very little creativity has been put to make a unique experience.

Sunset overdrive from what we've seen so far seems like it's little more than something like Infamous/Prototype but with an aesthetic that is closer to something like Jet Set Radio. Sure, it's colorful and quite an attractive fan, and given the developer, it's likely that it will have satisfying gameplay and hopefully witty writing.

But most important? I haven't seen a single publication who's holds either of those titles in as high regard as you do. If you were to ask me which games will be the most important of this generation right now I'd put my bets on No Man's Sky, Xenoblade Chronicles X and possibly the new Legend of Zelda. Those are games that aim to expand their respective genre either with massive scopes or redefining what the genre or franchise has been until now.

I'm fairly sure Sunset Overdrive will be a nice title and one of the better, if not the best, reason to own an Xbox One, but in the scope of this entire generation which has barely begun, I don't think it will be very relevant and Splatoon, while seemingly fun has yet to prove itself. The reasoning you're using to justify your opinion doesn't make them important, just different.

siah

Banned
There's nothing unconvential about Sunset Overdrive's travel methods. We've alreay seen wall running, power line surfing, and rail grinding. And Ratchet and Clank already brought us the wacky weapons.

I can't remember a game like it that let me bounce on cars, etc.

Sunset Overdrive is important because it is an Xbox exclusive that looks like a B tier Nintendo game, which is RIDICULOUSLY cartoony and colorfull and "kiddy" for an Xbox exclusive =P

...which is kinda sad because is that kinda of game that I expected Microsoft to have WAY MORE when they bought Rare =/
B tier Nintendo game. Lol

Agree on Splatoon. I've played some multiplayer demos of SO already. While it can be fun, it's very repetitive. Good game? Probably. Important game? I don't think so. It reminded me more of Crackdown + Tony Hawk + Borderlands.

Sami+

I'm convinced that all the people whinging about "brown and grey" have at least some degree of color-blindness.

In terms of art style and direction definitely. I think I will enjoy Sunset but it isn't my sort of game.

I really hope we see less gritty games this gen and more games in the vein of Banjo, Viva Piñata, Sunset, Jet Set Radio, every Nintendo game in existence.

Getting sick of seeing so many games going for realism as I much prefer to watch a movie than play a realistic game. (It is also why I am worried about the graphical direction Uncharted is going in as I liked the art style of previous games).

Sure the game's colorful, but do you buy a game based on how colorful it is, or actual gameplay and design?

Actually art style is very important to how much you may enjoy said game, the more realistic a game is the less I generally enjoy them. Obviously it needs gameplay and good game design to back it up too.

There's an absolute 0% chance either game will be important to the generation as a whole. I'm really not sure how someone can even come to that conclusion.

fernoca

Synth said:
I'm not exactly sold on Sunset Overdrive, but for those saying that it's simply a more colorful Infamous crossed with Tony Hawk, please consider one thing. The cars function as jump pads. Why? Because they need to for gameplay purposes, and it doesn't have to make sense.
Well, you could do that in Second Son too.I remember doing it by accident many times for both civillians and enemies, while just trying to jump around. The car exploding after that didn't helped either. :p

More games should have it.

After seeing the sunset overdrive commercial it looks like infamous with a different color palette, not very creative from that perspective. Art direction i would agree.

Splatoon's take on the multiplayer shooter is pretty interesting, but even if it's succesful I doubt it'll have much impact besides maybe giving Nintendo more incentive to delve in the genre some more.

Nothing about Sunset Overdrive seems truly new. It's a lot of elements we've seen in other games in a slightly different package.

One thing I've noticed on my short time here at GAF is that people will always consistantly downplay and talk negatively about even the most fun-looking games, if those are part of the console/system that isn't the current status quo. It happened last generation, it is happening this generation and it will happen next generation.

They're just games. Instead of being so critical and judgmental, just relax and have fun with it for a change.

Log4Girlz

I don't get Sunset Overdrives art direction. I'm a Sega blue skies man for life and yet I don't like Sunsets look for whatever reason. I love Jet Set Radios style but don't like this, I can't put my finger on why though, its just missing something.

Its missing high quality, tasteful art design.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Splatoon is definitely hitting the right creative notes all around, but SO only on art style, and barely at that.

FloatOn

I disagree.

While Splatoon might be the most original of the two, I see it as little more than a shooter with cool gimmick. It's far more interesting than most shooters are, but that isn't to say Splatoon is very strong in terms of creativity, it just means that in most shooters very little creativity has been put to make a unique experience.

Sunset overdrive from what we've seen so far seems like it's little more than something like Infamous/Prototype but with an aesthetic that is closer to something like Jet Set Radio. Sure, it's colorful and quite an attractive fan, and given the developer, it's likely that it will have satisfying gameplay and hopefully witty writing.

But most important? I haven't seen a single publication who's holds either of those titles in as high regard as you do. If you were to ask me which games will be the most important of this generation right now I'd put my bets on No Man's Sky, Xenoblade Chronicles X and possibly the new Legend of Zelda. Those are games that aim to expand their respective genre either with massive scopes or redefining what the genre or franchise has been until now.

I'm fairly sure Sunset Overdrive will be a nice title and one of the better, if not the best, reason to own an Xbox One, but in the scope of this entire generation which has barely begun, I don't think it will be very relevant and Splatoon, while seemingly fun has yet to prove itself. The reasoning you're using to justify your opinion doesn't make them important, just different.

Other than No Man's Sky the games you mentions are merely refinements of what has come previously. I'm looking forward to all of them and they might even sell better but for most potential impact on the most popular genre of video games they are most certainly not.

I'm not saying that Splatoon and Sunset Overdrive will even be my favorite games of the generation. I'm saying if they are received well they have the potential to change the direction of two very popular genres.

I'd love that Jim Sterling see this thread and make a video about the topic XD

He made a similar video claiming that Viva Piñata was the best looking game of the previous generation!!!

OP is putting to much importance on color. Just because a game is colorful doesn't make it good, and just because a game is dark doesn't mean it can't be visually striking.

I see Splatoon as far more important to Nintendo than to the wider industry. That game is at the vanguard of a new generation of designers coming through the company, and if it's even a minor success we might see a significant change in how Nintendo develops its games in the aftermath. Unfortunately, being on the Wii U kneecaps any chance it has of directly influencing the rest of the industry.

Sunset Overdrive... it looks really fun, but it's far more evolutionary than revolutionary. It's picking up influences from many games (Infamous, Ratchet and Clank, Jet Set Radio, etc) and wrapping them up in an appealingly colourful package. May well be successful, but not the stuff that turns the industry on its head.

stryke

Splatoon's chances of being impactful is already greatly diminished just by virtue of the platform it's on. So yeah, good luck with that.

Auctopus

Having a bright colour scheme isn't brave or bold, it's just art direction. If these are gonna be the most important games for the generation then count me out.

I'd love that Jim Sterling see this thread and make a video about the topic XD

He made a similar video claiming that Viva Piñata was the best looking game of the previous generation!!!
Viva Pinata was one of my favorites in the last generation.
No Man's Sky also looks really good.
That being said, I do agree realistic games can look good indeed. It just does not excite me personally.

JP

Not played either yet. Both seem decent not seeing anything special them in comparison to the other games that we know about I this generation so far.

I'd be willing to put money on the fact that over the next 7 or 8 years of this generation there will be more than a few games on each console that do more than these.

Another one I haven't played but I wouldn't be surprised if No Man's Sky beat the living crap out of these two!

Einbroch

Banned
No way. I think a game like Shadow of Mordor will be. SoM isn't the best, but the Nemesis system is going to be ripped and put into a bunch of games.

Sunset Overdrive? I don't think so even a little bit. It's Infamous plus Tony Hawk from the looks of it. I think one of the previews said pretty much exactly that. Who knows though. We'll see in a week or so.
exactly...

why through sunset overdrive in this conversation is what I don't agree with. It's literally a combination of recent games we've played with a a bunch of color.

Other than that...the market will go where the money is...

Synth

Well, you could do that in Second Son too.I remember doing it by accident many times for both civillians and enemies, while just trying to jump around. The car exploding after that didn't helped either. :p

More games should have it.

I haven't played Second Son (only played some of the original Infamous), but I'd be very surprised if what you're describing bare any real similarity to my example. The top of the cars aren't just some platform with some flexibility, They are legitimately jump pads... like jumping on a spring in Sonic. You can't stand on the top of one for example.

It's complete nonsense, but the game does it anyway, because it's the best purpose they could find for cars you can't drive.

Top Bottom