• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon and Sunset Overdrive are the most important games this generation

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Grimløck;135552940 said:
sunset overdrive, while potentially awesome, looks like a mishmash of your popular, over-the-top action games such as ratchet and clank, dead rising, infamous, jet-set radio, etc. nothing i have seen demonstrates novelty.

That's Insomniac's MO since forever. With Resistance they were chasing that COD2 money. Then they went after Gears with Fuse and now Infamous+Dead Rising. None of their games are bad (well Fuse was), but they are never really original.

Lowmelody

While I can't say if it's going if it's going to be THE most important game of the entire generation, I do feel that Splatoon is a veritable powder keg of potential that if handled properly would become as big of a draw to Wii U as could be expected. I have a feeling that as the game gets further a long and Nintendo refines the gameplay that it's going to be something really special. The hype could easily get out of control for this game if Nintendo handles it right.

I am as excited for Splatoon as I am for Zelda and Mario.

3bdelilah

Banned
Sunset Overdrive? I don't think so even a little bit. It's Infamous plus Tony Hawk from the looks of it. I think one of the previews said pretty much exactly that. Who knows though. We'll see in a week or so.

Yeah, I'm really digging its art style and humour can be funny as well, but in terms of gameplay it's a knock off. I don't see anything special at all in the gameplay department.

JP

Looking forward to playing Sunset Overdrive and the more I see of it the more I see it as a prelude to an open world Ratchet & Clank. :)

Is it weird that the first game to come to mind here was the original Geometry Wars?
I kind of get what you mean but not fully. Why do you think of it?

Point taken. I still don't think that'll be a game-changer worthy of the OP's hyperbolic claim, but it's definitely something I can't recall seeing before
I agree. I think Splatoon will be really unique but not generation defining.

Silky

Banned
That's Insomniac's MO since forever. With Resistance they were chasing that COD2 money. Then they went after Gears with Fuse and now Infamous+Dead Rising. None of their games are bad (well Fuse was), but they are never really original.

What? Where did you get that from with Resistance? I could probably give you FUSE but CoD hasn't reached its popularity boon until 4.

Sunset Overdrive is creative?

It is Dead Rising with Ratchet and Clanks rail grinding thrown in and Insomniacs knack for imaginative weapons.

I would call a game like No Mans Sky far more important, or Star Citizen, or Bloodborne, etc.

Splatoon I can agree with.

Tomorrow Children and WiLD both have both of these criteria whilst also sounding a lot more unique from a gameplay perspective.

Can we get those added to the list?

Synth

I kind of get what you mean but not fully. Why do you think of it?

It always felt like my movement options could be summed up by "you can go where you've just cleared" lol. Like I was constantly trying to paint a path around the arena.

I get that it's a loose/strange comparison... it was just the first game I thought of when reading your description.

Sunset Overdrive is creative?

It is Dead Rising with Ratchet and Clanks rail grinding thrown in and Insomniacs knack for imaginative weapons.

I would call a game like No Mans Sky far more important, or Star Citizen, or Bloodborne, etc.

Splatoon I can agree with.

Bloodborne is pretty much a spiritual sequel to what's basically become From's standard output.

How well they will actually turn out is anyone's guess since they are not out yet but depending on how successful they are, it could have serious implications for this generation. Why do I think this? The answer is 2 fold:

1) Creativity
Both Splatoon and Sunset Overdrive seem to fall into familiar territory with their respective genres but both games breathe new life into it either by unconventional travel methods, unconventional weaponry or in the case of Splatoon making the goal NOT to kill the other player but to claim the majority of the map.

2) Art direction
These games are rich with style and both are not afraid at all to be colorful. This is nothing new for Nintendo but the fps genre for them is. For Sunset Overdrive this game is bold enough to have color and style whereas most other third person shooters are some spectrum of brown.

So, the first person and third person shooter genres I believe could seriously use some shaking up and I think these games are the ones to do it. If these fail we could be hiding behind brown waist high objects or running through yet another military campaign for a long, long time.

OkaTF8i.jpg

It always felt like my movement options could be summed up by "you can go where you've just cleared" lol. Like I was constantly trying to paint a path around the arena.

I get that it's a loose/strange comparison... it was just the first game I thought of when reading your description.
Oh I see what you mean! That kinda makes sense. Never heard Splatoon compared to Geometry Wars before though lol.

Tomorrow Children and WiLD both have both of these criteria whilst also sounding a lot more unique from a gameplay perspective.

Can we get those added to the list?

Those 2 titles along with No Man's Sky look far more promising and potentially important games this gen. The games in the OP, not even.

I kind of get the impression that SO is being forced upon me which is never a good sign. Having seen some of the later vids, I'm completely underwhelmed with what's been on show. They seem a million miles away from the official trailers of E3 or at least how I remember them.

TunaLover

I'm curious if Splatoon will be a multiplayer arena only game, or it will have some sort of story solo campaings? Because I don't have local friends to play with :c

ratchet was their most original series mechanically/stylistically, and it's also the best thing they've worked on.

SO is not fucking important, though. maybe for MS holiday lineup, but not for the generation/industry

Bgamer90

Banned
"Most important" is pretty overboard but I will say that I hope the games do well so that we can get more colorful big(ger) budget games in the future.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
What? Where did you get that from with Resistance? I could probably give you FUSE but CoD hasn't reached its popularity boon until 4.

Then you must be a young man. COD2 was a very important an popular game. It was the peak of the Medal of Honor era shooters, which in their day were the most popular FPS out. COD2 was a launch games on the 360 and a first for a game typically associated with the PC. I don't think any of that was missed by Insomniac who was developing Resistance at that time. Hence their sci-fi shooter went back to the 50s and suddenly looked a lot like a WW2 shooter.

"Most important" is pretty overboard but I will say that I hope the games do well so that we can get more colorful big(ger) budget games in the future.
Yeah, this is how I feel.
Although this generation is off to a good start with Pikmin 3 and Garden Warfare being very colorful games.

I kind of get the impression that SO is being forced upon me which is never a good sign. Having seen some of the later vids, I'm completely underwhelmed with what's been on show. They seem a million miles away from the official trailers of E3 or at least how I remember them.
You aren't wrong really. They dulled the color for one.

Then you must be a young man. COD2 was a very important an popular game. It was the peak of the Medal of Honor era shooters, which in their day were the most popular FPS out. COD2 was a launch games on the 360 and a first for a game typically associated with the PC.
Yup. Still had friends on my friends list back when I still had my 360 that still played Call of Duty 2 after Modern Warfare 2 came out.

Servbot24

Banned
What's so important about Bloodborne? It's a lovely game but important? Ehh...

It's not. People are confusing "important to industry trends and overall creative progression" and "important to me".

Of course by the latter definition, Bloodborne may very well be the most important game of the gen for a lot of people (myself included).

Yeah, this is how I feel.
Although this generation is off to a good start with Pikmin 3 and Garden Warfare being very colorful games.

Thankfully the piss filter and brown haze trends seem to be dying down. Color won't be an issue this gen I think.

Those 2 titles along with No Man's Sky look far more promising and potentially important games this gen. The games in the OP, not even.

I personally think the same. Just didn't want to be rude to the OPs opinions :p

But then I love the concept of open world survival style games. Up till now I've only really been able to try Minecraft and DayZ. Neither were up to a standard that I could actually stand playing for long though. Now that the genre is actually marketable, I'm actually going to get games in the genre that I can actually stand playing for more than 20 minutes at a time.

n.b. the reason I couldn't get into DayZ and Minecraft was mostly due to very basic and buggy feeling combat that was hard to get the swing of. Hoping the other games don't suffer from this.

Splatoon will be an ongoing franchise for Nintendo if it does well, since they've been lacking in any "shooter" games up until this point to an extent. It's a really good fit when you think of "shooter" and "Nintendo" combined, so I hope it does well on the market, and I hope it lives up to expectations critically.

Synth

Then you must be a young man. COD2 was a very important an popular game. It was the peak of the Medal of Honor era shooters, which in their day were the most popular FPS out. COD2 was a launch games on the 360 and a first for a game typically associated with the PC. I don't think any of that was missed by Insomniac who was developing Resistance at that time. Hence their sci-fi shooter went back to the 50s and suddenly looked a lot like a WW2 shooter.

Weren't they already showing Resistance off as I-8 before all that became obvious though?

EDIT: Just realised you accounted for that... I should take more time to read stuff.

EDIT 2: Wait.. no... the setting was roughly the same at that point.

Nzyme32

Of the next year or two - maybe

Of the generation - absolutely not

What I would like to see this generation, as far as important games go, is something that really innovates - whether that is through gameplay, mechanics, tech that then effects the gameplay, new game types / paradigms etc

Splatoon and Sunset Overdrive demonstrate none of these things, and I think it is extraordinarily short sighted to think this is all that the next half decade or so can offer that will be pivotal this "generation"

Servbot24

Banned
Splatoon will be an ongoing franchise for Nintendo if it does well, since they've been lacking in any "shooter" games up until this point to an extent. It's a really good fit when you think of "shooter" and "Nintendo" combined, so I hope it does well on the market, and I hope it lives up to expectations critically.

I definitely hope it's a big success for them. They really need a new character in their roster and a new high profile franchise. I don't think Splatoon has enough widespread appeal to accomplish the latter, but it can at least add some diversity.

No, not really.
Especially Sunset Overdrive isn't.

Splatoon looks fun as hell! Art Direction? Not so much.

Creativity? Put WiLD and The Tomorrow Children on your list.

Freeman

Banned
Colorful game = creative game
Colorful game = good art direction

I don't agree with those notions and Sunset Overdrive seems like an awfully boring game.

As of Splatoon the gameplay does look interesting indeed, Nintendo might be into something with this one, we'll see. I don't know how ambitious Splatoon is, it might end up being too basic.

Jesus H Christ that OP title is hyperbolic! If it's bright and colorful doesn't make it supremely important.

Yeah I'm sure we are all tired of the grey and brown games heavily prevalent in games today. They'll probably be awesome games but OP is vastly overestimating things.

If anything we've yet to see a game to claim that mantle. NMS is close imo

It's not. People are confusing "important to industry trends and overall creative progression" and "important to me".

Of course by the latter definition, Bloodborne may very well be the most important game of the gen for a lot of people (myself included).

Thankfully the piss filter and brown haze trends seem to be dying down. Color won't be an issue this gen I think.
It's difficult to know now what will be important. For example, in hindsight we can say that Dark Souls was very important because it changed the direction of and influenced many games in the fantasy RPG genre (Lords of the Fallen being one good example). Minecraft is another obviously important game that changed the direction of and influenced many developers. Also, Amnesia. It put forward the idea that a horror game doesn't need to include combat. Now we have a pretty good flood of similarly influenced games like Outlast and most recently Alien: Isolation.

Those are some pretty significant examples. I'm not so sure Splatoon is necessarily positioned (at least from the extensive hands-on impressions thus far) to sit among those mentioned. I can't comment on Insomniac's game because I just haven't looked into it at all.

Hoo-doo

Banned
A bright color palette is apparently all it takes to be the most important game of the generation.

I wonder why the rest was even trying.

shandy706

Sunset Overdrive? I don't think so even a little bit. It's Infamous plus Tony Hawk from the looks of it. I think one of the previews said pretty much exactly that. Who knows though. We'll see in a week or so.

The guy said Art Direction and Creativity.

How does Sunset Overdrive breath new life in it's genre? Sunset Overdrive is just a wacky Infamous.

image.php

On subject, I don't know that it will impact this generation much importance wise. I do want to see some more color though.

In the realm of RPGs for example...It's why I like The Witcher, 2 and the upcoming 3 have a lot of color to them. I'm not a big fan of drab/colorless games.

barit

Expect to see more "colorful" and "bright" games on Xbone. There are great to hide the weak hardware. Just ask Nintendo.

SerTapTap

Okay, so, I love how both games look, and how they sound like they play.

But there is no way the most important part of this generation is applying a readily abundant cartoon style to one of two twists on readily abundant third person "shooting things" gameplay. They are cool art styles and changeups in a fairly stale genre, but let's not pretend they're the second coming.

Expect to see more "colorful" and "bright" games on Xbone. There are great to hide the weak hardware. Just ask Nintendo.

That's MS's call though, and they've definitely been focusing on advertising mostly realistic games regardless. SO's art style is because of Insomniac not Microsoft I'm sure.

-Horizon-

I'm curious if Splatoon will be a multiplayer arena only game, or it will have some sort of story solo campaings? Because I don't have local friends to play with :c

I thought there was an interview with the developers saying they were working on a single player for it. I might be misremembering though.

Popnbake

Why put those games above such titles like No Man's Sky or Star Citizen?

They are just as colorful and creative as well as being far more ambitious.

Splatoon has potential to be another Smash depending on how Nintendo promotes the multiplayer but that along with SO are far from being called important GotG this early in.

FloatOn

Jesus H Christ that OP title is hyperbolic! If it's bright and colorful doesn't make it supremely important.

Yeah I'm sure we are all tired of the grey and brown games heavily prevalent in games today. They'll probably be awesome games but OP is vastly overestimating things.

If anything we've yet to see a game to claim that mantle. NMS is close imo

It is important with regards to how few shooters employ this kind of art direction.

There is very little "important" about either game.

Splatoon is basically like that graffiti game mode from Tony Hawks Pro Skater but with guns. Sunset Overdrive looks very much like a ton of games we already have but with a bright art style. Adding to this there has been many games with far better art styles than both down the years. Weird OP.

RK128

While I wouldn't call them the MOST important games of this generation (as many other colorful/creative games are coming from companies big and small; Ubisoft just put out Child of Light not to long ago and Indie developers are making creative things every day).

I do agree that they are important games though; Sunset for being the most Insomniac tittle in a very long time without working with Sony and Splatoon being a new IP from Nintendo.

Both look like a ton of fun, so I can't wait to see how they do :D.

Less color palette and dulled colors = More taxing on hardware.

Nailed it

Seriously though did you mean more cartoony? Even then you could make that demanding.

I get that you're probably excited about these games... But boy are you overselling their importance.

Sunset Overdrive looks to be Jet Set Radio grinding mechanics paired with shooting. Cool idea? Yes. Revolutionary? No. As for its art style, yes, it's nice, but once again, nothing revolutionary. Other games have done color and style in crazy ways before this one. SO isn't doing anything so special that it'll have an effect on the industry as a whole. (It looks like it might be a fun game though.)

Splatoon is an interesting suggestion, and I'm certainly more inclined to hear you out on that. A shooter where the main goal isn't, "Shoot that guy," is an interesting idea. The movement mechanics as directly connected to the art and color are likewise quite novel. IF it reviews well and others debs take notice, I could see something like this getting integrated into other more popular games in the future. In that sense, it could be important. More than likely though, I bet the game gets very little media attention, is blown off by most outlets even if it is good, and quietly disappears. That's probably the pessimist in me, but it wouldn't be the first time it's happened to a Wii U title (ZombiU).

So I guess I strongly disagree.

NAPK1NS

What? Just because a TPS gets all snazzy 'n garish doesn't mean anything. This is another graphics vs. fun argument. Borderlands, one of the FPS monsters is plenty colorful.

Splatoon... We know nothing about that game. If you had said "this is why these are important," sure, I'll bite. Wording at present makes this post a stinker.

Top Bottom