• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Persona 5 Spoiler Thread | Steal your heart; steel yourself

sjay1994

Haru doesnt get those good individual scenes with the rest of the group. That was disappointing. I really liked those scenes, like when Makoto and Ann are apologizing to eachother.

However I do think she adds a strong foundation to the larger group scenes after she joins. Everyone has a sense of just feeling bad for her and worrying about their situation being their fault, but Haru is like, nah, lets fix this shit. I'm not going to dwell on my dad until we solve this problem, and I know his death wasnt caused by us.

I was so damn sure we were going to get an anime ass drawn out "haru blames the thieves for her dad's death when its obvious it wasnt their fault." Which would drag on a week or two until they can find proof of another culprit. Her defying those expectations was so great.

The game as a whole really plays with your expectations.

Hell, I had forgotten Akechi noticed Morgana speaking about Pancakes, and since none of the characters mentioned it at that moment it felt like it was just a coincidence, but them using that moment to find out he was a traitor. "going, yeah we knew all along".

And then them using Igor's new voice because the original Japanese VA passed away to actually make him the true villain was such a huge surprise. Like I didn't see it coming at all, and the hints were there from the beginning. Because the twins were the ones doing the fusing, and because I skipped the "death screen" I never saw him go "what a foolish end".

And I really enjoyed his new voice since I would always quote him going "My My" whenever I needed a fusion.

Like damn, even though some of the plot points didn't go where I expected, I feel really satisfied.

LiK

Hopefully Persona 5: The Crimson manages to incorporate her into the earlygame narrative more (beyond getting into a car and looking sad).

I feel this would def be something they will do in an expansion. Maybe you'll have more scenes with her gardening the school's plants or something before the car scene.

Aki-at

And then them using Igor's new voice because the original Japanese VA passed away to actually make him the true villain was such a huge surprise. Like I didn't see it coming at all, and the hints were there from the beginning. Because the twins were the ones doing the fusing, and because I skipped the "death screen" I never saw him go "what a foolish end".

And I really enjoyed his new voice since I would always quote him going "My My" whenever I needed a fusion.

Like damn, even though some of the plot points didn't go where I expected, I feel really satisfied.

Neat thing, when you enter the Velvet Room, fake Igor goes "Welcome to my Velvet Room" but when the real Igor is restored, he goes "Welcome to the Velvet Room"

It was right under our noses all this time.

sjay1994

I feel this would def be something they will do in an expansion. Maybe you'll have more scenes with her gardening the school's plants or something before the car scene.

Or reduce the proficiency requirement to interact with her. Do I really need maximum proficiency to garden? Hell, Sojiro even says her crops aren't even that great to begin with.

It made me not able to use Haru in battle for a while, because I couldn't baton pass with her.

sjay1994

Neat thing, when you enter the Velvet Room, fake Igor goes "Welcome to my Velvet Room" but when the real Igor is restored, he goes "Welcome to the Velvet Room"

Aw man. This reveal was so fucking good.

I doubt a lot of my friends will realize it since P5 is their first persona, but man I have to tell them about this stuff when they beat it.

LiK

Igor reveal was the fucking best. One of the best plot twists cuz the devs and publishers fucked with us about his voice too.

PK Gaming

I can't believe I forgot about "This place exists between dream and reality, mind and matter..." which is something True Igor brings up in the end

I can't call myself a true Persona fan anymore

sjay1994

I can't believe I forgot about "This place exists between dream and reality, mind and matter..." which is something True Igor brings up in the end

I can't call myself a true Persona fan anymore

Its ok. I am just going to say "I was just so excited to be playing P5 and that his voice was velvety smooth".

Because man, I don't know what audio track most of you played with, but the english VA for Jalbadoth was so good.

LiK

Its ok. I am just going to say "I was just so excited to be playing P5 and that his voice was velvety smooth".

Because man, I don't know what audio track most of you played with, but the english VA for Jalbadoth was so good.

English VO for the true boss was just amazing. I'm curious if the JPN voice was just as good.

RalchAC

Damn, such a detail.

The butterfly is Lavenza too. At various times she tells you that "this is a truly unjust game. However, if my voice can be heard there may still be a possibility open to you" or something along those lines.

The only other person that talks about a game is Igor.

In any case, seeing Igor standing is really funny.

Welcome to MY velvet room was such a hint from the beginning. I mightve suspected things anyway but hard to know for sure since I was fucking spoiled on it.

sjay1994

English VO for the true boss was just amazing. I'm curious if the JPN voice was as good.

I wanted to watch the finale again, because Sinful shell was so god damn hype. The version I watched was the Japanese one, and its not as deep as the English VA's portrayl.

I might download the Japanese audio for my NG+ run, but I like the english cast a lot. I think Prompto did a good job as Akechi.

And I want to hear more of Iwai (whom I am sad I couldn't finish his confident) Should have eaten more burgers.

Thud

Yep and the welcome felt really forced as opposed the regular one. That's the first moment where felt something was off.

LiK

I wanted to watch the finale again, because Sinful shell was so god damn hype. The version I watched was the Japanese one, and its not as deep as the English VA's portrayl.

I might download the Japanese audio for my NG+ run, but I like the english cast a lot. I think Prompto did a good job as Akechi.

And I want to hear more of Iwai (whom I am sad I couldn't finish his confident) Should have eaten more burgers.

Same, I want to play NG+ in JPN but I didn't finish all the Confidants and I don't wanna miss out on those performances. Maybe I'll watch a JPN LP later on just to hear the voices. There should be plenty out there by now.

Igor reveal was the fucking best. One of the best plot twists cuz the devs and publishers fucked with us about his voice too.

Really smart use of having a new voice actor and going somewhere else. I had to pause thinking this isn't how persona is meant to be. The last dungeon wasn't the best but from Igor? Showing his true colours to the finale brought the quality back up.
I'm surprised how consistent persona is from 2 to now 5 with having epic endings and all of them feeling unique. Was hoping for a Philemon cameo to fix some stuff.

sjay1994

I find this "people need to die for a story to be good" thing to be kindve creepy

I can understand where you are coming from. Character deaths can feel like a way something was lost, or the stakes of a story was raised, but one could equally make the argument that its "lazy writing for the sake of generating emotions".

Persona 3:
I just remember how impactful Shinjiro's death was in 3.

I felt sad when Morgana faded away, but when he came back I thought it was a cop out (but I forgave the game, because of Morgana's "I made this big speech, and if I came back immediately, it would have been awkward")

LiK

Please don't spoil P3 for me. I never finished it. Sigh

Damn guys, use tags. I was thinking of actually going through it later this year.

Thud

I'll do an English playthrough when I want to experience the game in full again.

Not like the next game will come anytime soon lol.

sjay1994

I'll do an English playthrough when I want to experience the game in full again.

Not like the next game will come anytime soon lol.

Well, who knows. The gap between P3 and 4 was 2 years. Now that they have a solidified engine, maybe P6 will come out sooner.

FluxWaveZ

I find this "people need to die for a story to be good" thing to be kindve creepy

No, but tragedy does lead to heightened emotions and pay-offs. Makes stuff like Junpei's awakening scene or some other P3 moments that much more impactful.

P5 kind of avoided any of that, in the end, which can feel like a cop-out, at times. Like, someone previously mentioned how it would be bittersweet if Morgana returned at the end and everyone was happy to see him alive, but they found out he no longer had the ability to speak.

I think P5 wanted to avoid those negative feelings at the end, in order to emphasize its theme of freedom.

Please don't spoil P3 for me. I never finished it. Sigh

Damn guys, use tags. I was thinking of actually going through it later this year.

Spoilers for pretty much the whole Persona series are being posted openly in here. Might want to tread carefully.

Guess Who

Banned
P5 is so oppressive and depressing for most of the game that I am completely fine with it having arguably the most plainly happy ending in the series. The Phantom Thieves have been through some shit. They've earned it.

LiK

Should I still bother checking out the rest of P3 knowing a character's death? I played 10 hours and stopped.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Morgana returning was hilarious because he admits he could've swung by to let the others know earlier but that would've been weird because of his dramatic goodbye scene.

No, but tragedy does lead to heightened emotions and pay-offs. Makes stuff like Junpei's awakening scene or some other P3 moments that much more impactful.

P5 kind of avoided any of that, in the end, which can feel like a cop-out, at times. Like, someone previously mentioned how it would be bittersweet if Morgana returned at the end and everyone was happy to see him alive, but they found out he no longer had the ability to speak.

I think P5 wanted to avoid those negative feelings at the end, in order to emphasize its theme of freedom.
I find far more emotional impact the vast majority of the time in interpersonal relationships and personal struggles than tragedy most of the time.

Nier Automata is about the only game I've found where the pay-off from tragedy reaches the pay-off that P4 and P5's more personal moments reach.

I find that most emotional moments fueled by death really fail to earn it. Its one of the reasons Danganronpa 3 sucks so bad compared to the games.

LiK

I might just need to hold off until I forget the P3 spoiler. I like the advantage of having bad short term memory. It'll just nag at me which is why I try to go into most things spoiler-free. I haven't played the spin-offs cuz of possible spoilers.

RalchAC

I find far more emotional impact the vast majority of the time in interpersonal relationships and personal struggles than tragedy most of the time.

Nier Automata is about the only game I've found where the pay-off from tragedy reaches the pay-off that P4 and P5's more personal moments reach.

I find that most emotional moments fueled by death really fail to earn it. Its one of the reasons Danganronpa 3 sucks so bad compared to the games.

For me, death in media needs to have a meaning besides rising the stakes. Like, serve a purpose. It may be opening new plot threads and possibilities, pass the baton to a different character, be the best ending to a redemption arc, or whatever.

Just don't do it for shock value. Because when the shock is gone there is little value left in that death.

There might be some exceptions to that rule, but generally that's my take.

Guess Who

Banned
Hey, they've held fast on (P3 spoiler)
P3MC
staying dead even when some really stubborn parts of the fanbase begged from them to come back. Maybe there's hope for Akechi staying down.

FluxWaveZ

P3MC
staying dead even when some really stubborn parts of the fanbase begged from them to come back. Maybe there's hope for Akechi staying down.

Akechi's was an off-screen death and can be retconned extremely easily. Hell, I wasn't convinced he was dead the moment it happened.

Well, we just have to wait and see for whatever P5 spinoff or sequel happens. Because as of now, I am saying he's dead.

Nope. Akechi will be back, I guarantee it.

sjay1994

Also, another way the game plays with previous persona players expectations with Akechi is some students on the way to school going " Aw man! Akechi is so cool! People are saying like its the second coming of the Detective Prince (Naoto)"

So you get this impression Akechi is going to be like Naoto and help you find the true culprit.

Nope.

P3MC

(P3)
They went back on Chidori and Shinji in certain re-releases though.

Plus they already have to retcon Morgana losing his monster cat form and the metaverse disappearing for any future spinoffs, what's one more retcon :p

Eylos

Banned
(P3)

Plus they already have to retcon Morgana losing his monster cat form and the metaverse disappearing for any future spinoffs, what's one more retcon :p
What? Where and How this happened? (p3 part)

LiK

Ok, I'll be back once people stop talking about character deaths in other games. This is just hell for me, lol

sjay1994

Akechi's was an off-screen death and can be retconned extremely easily. Hell, I wasn't convinced he was dead the moment it happened.

Nope. Akechi will be back, I guarantee it.

True. But I am going to wait for something to follow up P5 first. Hell, I'd think it would be cool for some DLC of Akechi's perspective of the P5 story.

But considering how P5 handled death, you can be right since you need to see a body before you confirm.

Because when Ryuji "died" I was going "there is no fucking way Ryuji is dead, he is going to stroll on into the scene now".

RalchAC

(P3)

You know,
FeMC isn't canon so Shinji being in coma shouldn't be either. After all, he only survives if you fill some specific stuff in the FeMC route right?

Dunno about Chidori.

Unless I'm missing something. I haven't played Arena, Q and Dancing.

Since the real world is made out of people's cognition too, they could get back their thieve forms in the real world if enough people feel they need the PT or something like that.

Setsu00

P3MC

Maybe P5Crimson (or whatever they call it) includes a Goro bonus scenario that tells the story from his perspective. It would also create an opportunity to show Wakaba's and Kobayakawa's Palaces.

Top Bottom