• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Persona 5 Spoiler Thread | Steal your heart; steel yourself

ZServ

A news report mentioned Rise turning 20 in the game, so it's like 5 years after P4.

In addition to this, the calendar only fits 2016.

After many long discussions with a buddy of mine, we came down to 2 conclusions regarding the whole "where were the P3/P4 crew if this shit went down so publicly?"

Either A; the game takes place in 2013 and the calendar is wrong, or B; it takes place in 2016.

A: Shadow Operatives wouldn't be dealing with the P.T. incidents because of Labrys/TV world.

B. Investigation Team likely joined Shadow Operatives by 2016. By default, Narukami Yu is likely in charge of the whole of SO. P3 cast respects him, and sees similarities between him and Makoto Yuki. Logical conclusion would be that after hearing about Makoto (which would surely happen at some point), they determine that wild card users are important, and shouldn't be influenced by outside forces. Makoto was crucial to stopping Nyx, Aegis was key to mending the S.E.E.S. crew, and Narukami was important to stopping the murders.

Should be a lot sooner since they've nailed the engine they're probably going to stick with for the next few years. Will be curious where they go since it felt like joker was done with the velvet room permanently by the games end. Question really is which game will they be crossing over with.

I think the difference between P1/P2 and P3-P5 is that the guests get keys. Even after the Velvet Room "disappears," you can still see the door when you say goodbye to Lavenza. This ties into my upper post as well, as for YEARS I've had this manic theory that the end-game is to free Makoto Yuki from the Great Seal.

Narukami's journey was over, but he would return to the Velvet Room twice more later on. And considering that Aigis still has the wild card as of P4U, I wouldn't be shocked if she's revisited it behind-the-scenes. We know from P4 that Elizabeth left the velvet room to save Makoto Yuki. As of P4U, she's no clue how, yet. Erebus returns yearly, and continues to attempt to summon Nyx, if my recollection is correct. But why is Nyx summoned?

Because people yearn for it. Because of the distorted desires of man. I don't know if Shadows/Gods/Whatever can have a Palace, but if they can.. Who better to steal Nyx's treasure than the Phantom Thieves? I'm still of the impression that the Dark Hour, TV World, and Metaverse are all windows to the same reality, so.. it can't truly be erased. Merely their entry point.

THIS POST IS SO SCATTER-BRAINED I should sleep goodnight

RalchAC

In addition to this, the calendar only fits 2016.

After many long discussions with a buddy of mine, we came down to 2 conclusions regarding the whole "where were the P3/P4 crew if this shit went down so publicly?"

Either A; the game takes place in 2013 and the calendar is wrong, or B; it takes place in 2016.

A: Shadow Operatives wouldn't be dealing with the P.T. incidents because of Labrys/TV world.

B. Investigation Team likely joined Shadow Operatives by 2016. By default, Narukami Yu is likely in charge of the whole of SO. P3 cast respects him, and sees similarities between him and Makoto Yuki. Logical conclusion would be that after hearing about Makoto (which would surely happen at some point), they determine that wild card users are important, and shouldn't be influenced by outside forces. Makoto was crucial to stopping Nyx, Aegis was key to mending the S.E.E.S. crew, and Narukami was important to stopping the murders.

I think the difference between P1/P2 and P3-P5 is that the guests get keys. Even after the Velvet Room "disappears," you can still see the door when you say goodbye to Lavenza. This ties into my upper post as well, as for YEARS I've had this manic theory that the end-game is to free Makoto Yuki from the Great Seal.

Narukami's journey was over, but he would return to the Velvet Room twice more later on. And considering that Aigis still has the wild card as of P4U, I wouldn't be shocked if she's revisited it behind-the-scenes. We know from P4 that Elizabeth left the velvet room to save Makoto Yuki. As of P4U, she's no clue how, yet. Erebus returns yearly, and continues to attempt to summon Nyx, if my recollection is correct. But why is Nyx summoned?

Because people yearn for it. Because of the distorted desires of man. I don't know if Shadows/Gods/Whatever can have a Palace, but if they can.. Who better to steal Nyx's treasure than the Phantom Thieves? I'm still of the impression that the Dark Hour, TV World, and Metaverse are all windows to the same reality, so.. it can't truly be erased. Merely their entry point.

THIS POST IS SO SCATTER-BRAINED I should sleep goodnight

Considering that the end of Persona 5 says that there is no such a thing as a real world since people's cognitions can change how it works, it pretty much explains the inner workings of both the Dark Hour and the TV world. Wakaba's researching of the Cognitive World could be tied nicely to them since she had probably researching the whole thing way before P3 and P4. And if they are truly going to switch the formula from the ground up, a last game where the cast of the 3 games meet up and do something could definitely happen.

Which could be kind of cool if done well. They could try to add some elements of the future Persona 6 if they plan to shake up the formula and see the reception it gets. It'd be cool having 3 different but shorter storylines (SEES, Investigation Team, PT) that all lead up to the same last few hours.

I'd be surprised if they really make a Persona 6 set in the world of P3-5. Honestly, the Phantom Thieves' doings were too big to not be remembered. By the end of the game, the survey has 50% of people believing in the PT too.

If they're going to make a game that wraps up the whole P3-5 trilogy, I just wish the don't take for granted that people has played the spin-offs.

Considering that the end of Persona 5 says that there is no such a thing as a real world since people's cognitions can change how it works, it pretty much explains the inner workings of both the Dark Hour and the TV world. Wakaba's researching of the Cognitive World could be tied nicely to them since she had probably researching the whole thing way before P3 and P4. And if they are truly going to switch the formula from the ground up, a last game where the cast of the 3 games meet up and do something could definitely happen.

Which could be kind of cool if done well. They could try to add some elements of the future Persona 6 if they plan to shake up the formula and see the reception it gets. It'd be cool having 3 different but shorter storylines (SEES, Investigation Team, PT) that all lead up to the same last few hours.

I'd be surprised if they really make a Persona 6 set in the world of P3-5. Honestly, the Phantom Thieves' doings were too big to not be remembered. By the end of the game, the survey has 50% of people believing in the PT too.

If they're going to make a game that wraps up the whole P3-5 trilogy, I just wish the don't take for granted that people has played the spin-offs.

It would be an ideal place to soft reboot since the director from past games has left his spot for someone to take lead. Still think the best goodbye to 3-5 would be to resolve Elizabeth's quest. Don't care the manner of how it ends but wrap it up because some it's left too open ended and I'm not a fan of unresolved events.

A Persona game with the Birth By Sleep structure sounds like a nice idea to me.

LiK

Due to being inadvertedly spoiled about something major in P3 yesterday, I am now watching the rest of a P3 LP that I've been watching off and on for a while. Finally got to the part where I quit the game years ago.

Weebos

Banned
Due to being inadvertedly spoiled about something major in P3 yesterday, I am now watching the rest of a P3 LP that I've been watching off and on for a while. Finally got to the part where I quit the game years ago.

The thing you got spoiled on yesterday (P3:
Shinji's death
) isn't a huge deal if you wanted to play the game. I knew about it going in and really enjoyed it.

Also,
it happens midgame if I recall correctly.

LiK

^ not gonna read the spoiler tagged stuff but now it's just a bummer either way. Same with knowing about Goro before I even met him in P5. In any case, gonna try to get through it and finally I can stop hiding from P3 spoilers after all these years.

The reason I quit the game was because the Tartarus dungeon bored me to tears. Currently just skipping through all that and sticking with the story and SLink parts in the LP.

edit: I forgot how good the boss music was in P3. I might have a better appreciation of the OST because of this.

RalchAC

It seems Akechi is in the game starting screen. It's quite far from the camera, near a pillar. If you move between New and Load Game, it's easier to notice the shape of his Robin Hood mask.

They really wanted to sell him as the last party member, it seems :p

FluxWaveZ

It seems Akechi is in the game starting screen. It's quite far from the camera, near a pillar. If you move between New and Load Game, it's easier to notice the shape of his Robin Hood mask.

They really wanted to sell him as the last party member, it seems :p

Yeah, though Crow had a weird presence in P5 marketing for a long time, ever since they showed him off for alternate costume DLC, but then decided to hide his face and erase him from the same picture in subsequent releases.

His presence in the main menu is what brought about rumors of his Phantom Thief appearance about a month before the game came out: http://personacentral.com/persona-akechi-plague-doctor-mask-rumor-demo-details/

robotrock

Banned
edit: I forgot how good the boss music was in P3. I might have a better appreciation of the OST because of this.

Persona 3 OST is incredible.

Also, I get that spoilers suck, but seriously if that's the only thing you know about Persona 3 you should consider yourself #blessed after all these years. Tons of more stuff to spoil in that game. I would still take the opportunity to play another really damn good Persona game.

RalchAC

Yeah, though Crow had a weird presence in P5 marketing for a long time, ever since they showed him off for alternate costume DLC, but then decided to hide his face and erase him from the same picture in subsequent releases.

His presence in the main menu is what brought about rumors of his Phantom Thief appearance about a month before the game came out: http://personacentral.com/persona-akechi-plague-doctor-mask-rumor-demo-details/

Persona 5 has a long story of trolling its players. I'm going to assume they did it on purpose and tried to act as if they made a mistake.

Beat the game last week at 125+ hours (lots of reload-saving, so add 10+ hours to this if you want lol), lvl 99, all confidants maxed out, all social links maxed out, 90% compendium complete, max money, 85% trophy completion.

Major gripes: End-game DRAGGED on for way too long. Late-game dungeons were a total slog and uninspired and boring. This game is definitely is too long to its own detriment sadly. It's very poorly paced especially end-game. Overall, 9/10 lol.

Music: God-like. Best soundtrack for a game, aside from Bloodborne

Gameplay: Won't go into details, have a lot of gripes with the combat that only become apparent near end-game.

Characters: All great aside from Haru. No offense to her as a character, but all offense goes to Atlus because she gets the least amount of character development + usage. Ryuji can get a bit annoying and so can Ann.

Best waifu: Makoto (The real answer are the Niijima sisters!)

Finished the game. My thoughts:

-That traitor business with Akechi was some Light Yagami Death Note shit.

-That Shido Boss Fight was some Metal Gear Rising Revengence shit.

-That final boss was some Gurren Lagann shit.

-This game was good shit.

I find it interesting that Morgana's nightmare really was just a Nightmare born of his self doubt. They play it up like hes having memory flashbacks. Another instance of the game trying to toy with expectations born from the franchise

Elephant

Neo Member
I would like some more development of Igor, maybe an origin story of some description. I don't know whether that ruins his mystique, as an ever-present character throughout the series, though.

RalchAC

Created self-doubt on who and what he is. Pretty much what caused the rift between him and the gang in the story when he left everyone for feeling "useless".

People have fucked up dream that mean nothing in the bigger scheme of things. It's just your subconscious running wild after all.

I would like some more development of Igor, maybe an origin story of some description. I don't know whether that ruins his mystique, as an ever-present character throughout the series, though.

I think in Persona 1/2 there is background info about him.

As much as I hated Akechi, I just couldn't hate his all out attack dance.

Anyone have a gif of it?

latest

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
What dragged on was definitely Shido's dungeon coz of the rat-human puzzles x 4. :/

Rodin

I find it interesting that Morgana's nightmare really was just a Nightmare born of his self doubt. They play it up like hes having memory flashbacks. Another instance of the game trying to toy with expectations born from the franchise
I didn't like that honestly, it felt like a cheap way to create doubts around where the storyline wanted to go. It was also unnecessary because i didn't see the final twist until a few hours before it actually happened, they fooled me with that one in a way that they couldn't with Akechi so from my perspective it was useless.

About Akechi, i read in the other thread that his battle quotes are "evil". I played the game in japanese, what does he say?

What dragged on was definitely Shido's dungeon coz of the rat-human puzzles x 4. :/
Yup. 2 was enough.

Zafir

Agreed. I thought the 'negotiation' bits were amusing enough but the rat corridors killed it. Two was enough not four.

FluxWaveZ

C895WveXkAE2-1S.jpg

Perhaps they're talking in the past tense (ie: her sex appeal really took off after turning 20)

There's probably a previous statement where her actual name is mentioned, and that might be where the contradiction lies. If not, then there's nothing contradictory about this.

RalchAC

I watched the harem valentines day scene since I'm not really going to trigger it myself and the Ryuji message is pure comedy material lol.

The "take my chocolate before I crush it" was quite amusing too.

But you made Futaba cry, MC. You're a monster.

Griss

Beat the game last night. What started off so confidently and promisingly in the first 10 hours (Kamoshida's arc) starts to plod by halfway. By the end of the game the poor pacing and repetitive story beats (rescue new teammate, steal their antogonist's heart) has really screwed everything up. They needed to really stick the ending, but then the treatment of Goro was absurd, the explanation of the cold opening was both somehow utterly predictable and yet stupidly labyrinthine in explanation, and of course it all leads to the exact same old final battle against a god who knows what humans need more than they do vs your 'power of friendship and free will' team spirit - the same fucking thing every time - which was just awful.

Overall it left me feeling like I invested a ridiculous amount of time for no payoff whatsoever. I feel like I wasted my time, and that sucks.

I far preferred the story in Persona 4. The team had worse characters but far more group interplay, and the murder mystery was far more intriguing than the palace infiltrations. What's more, with Dojima and Nanako it had an emotional heartbeat that Persona 5 simply lacked. The confidant stories were far better in P5, I'll give it that.

As for gameplay, the battle system is the exact same as it ever was in P3 and P4 pretty much, and its still braindead for the first half of the game. The day-to-day gameplay is still little more than a visual novel, one that desperately needs editing. The silent protag continues to suck any emotion out of the relationships. And I consider 'gameplay' to be 'meaningful choices', but almost nothing you choose in your day to day life really matters, unless you're min-maxing using a guide to do everything in one run.

And for a text-based story game, the lack of any cross-pollination of story lines at this stage is unacceptable. The confidants and your romantic decisions having absolutely no effect on the story at all is just super lame when the story and your relationships are the point of the game. I don't think a Mass Effect game or equivalent would get away with that kind of lack of narrative interactivity.

Ultimately the game felt like a more stylish retread of prior games but with poorer pacing and a less engaging story.

Aki-at

That makes things tricky, since she'd turn 20 in 2015, which doesn't match the in-game calendar (which only fits 2016).

Clearly time in Persona 5 is a lie.

Nanomachine Cognition, son.

I watched the harem valentines day scene since I'm not really going to trigger it myself and the Ryuji message is pure comedy material lol.

The "take my chocolate before I crush it" was quite amusing too.

But you made Futaba cry, MC. You're a monster.

Haru's line is that of a killer but seeing Futaba cry and holding her Mona box for you broke my heart.

Then you Sojiro doesn't seem phased by it one bit and covers for you in the end lol

ZangBa

I just watched the scene since I was curious and could never bring myself to do it. Ryuji's message is hilarious, that's the best scene in the game! The game could have really used more moments like this with the group. It feels like what used to be fun group moments were replaced by text messages that lack the personality and charisma of the characters. It hurts the players ability to get closer to the characters by the end, poor Haru could have used it.

Thud

Igor was a puppet created by Philemon. He's a god that watches over humans and gives them the power to wield a persona. Igor manages the velvet room where he fuses personas with the tarot cards you obtain from demons.

He got a more active role in Persona 3 and onward. Philemon takes a step backwards, but the butterfly motif is still present in the game.

The game between Igor and Yaldabaoth closely resembles the one from Philemon and Nyarlathotep from Persona 2.

So people that played P2 (including myself) thought he might be back lol.

daveo42

Banned
The Valentine's Day Massacre video is I think the only way I want to experience that. At least Joker gets what he deserves this time around from being a playa. Yu just got sob stories from everyone. Joker got his ass handed to him by a murder of women.

The Valentine's Day Massacre video is I think the only way I want to experience that. At least Joker gets what he deserves this time around from being a playa. Yu just got sob stories from everyone. Joker got his ass handed to him by a murder of women.

Yu also got
the chocolate of death

the sob stories are the most brutal of punishments...Watching their trust in you flutter away through sadness instead of anger.

Though I havent watched P5's valentine's day massacre, from everyone elses impressions only Futaba makes you feel like shit in the way the P4 girls do.

daveo42

Banned
The stories were rough for sure and I felt bad all the way down, but being confronted and then beaten by a bunch of women at the same time while also disappointing them seems worse to me. Not a one-on-one
"I don't want to know who it is and I don't want to think about it because it makes me sad and depressed"
but getting that and a beat down all at the same time from everyone.

Burbeting

Banned
Fighting the twins, both had 1hp left or so. Last aoe attack missed one, and killed the other. Cue recarm and my loss.

Felt quite unfair.

Top Bottom