• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Persona 5 Spoiler Thread | Steal your heart; steel yourself

sjay1994

Can't be any worse than what they did in Persona Q or Dancing All Night.

Now I want to know how they will boil down and simplify the characters in P5.

Ryuji: HEY GUYS! ISN'T BEING PHANTOM THIEVES JUST GREAT?
Ann: MAN I LOVE CAKE! ITS DELICIOUS
Morgana: I LOVE TREASURE!
Makoto: JUSTICE! JUSTICE MUST REIGN FROM ABOVE!
Yuskue: I HAVE TO DRAW NAKED WOMEN! Although, its not perverted in intent! I assure you
Futaba: "Insert Internet Lingo here"
Haru: "Anyone want my vegetables?"

FluxWaveZ

The former is acknowledged in Arena Ultimax

Well, not quite.

(PERSONA 3 SPOILERS):
Canonically, Chirdori's status is still unknown. The necklace Junpei wears is from her, and he daydreams about her, but that doesn't inform anything about whether she's alive or dead. Soejima sketches jokingly showed her in P4AU Junpei concept art, though.

Eylos

Banned
FES added a way to save Chidori, and the FemC route in P3P had a way to save Shinji. Although neither are acknowledged by spinoffs.
Didn't knew about chidori i played only p3p, as shinji i remember now that i saved him in the FemC route, i forgot that

Thud

Well, who knows. The gap between P3 and 4 was 2 years. Now that they have a solidified engine, maybe P6 will come out sooner.

Well for starters they lack the manpower and they're missing their lead designer, producer and probably main composer.

While they could benefit technically from Persona 5, it's still something that starts from scratch. It's a perfect chance to show they can make something different. Breaking some of the conventions Hashino created.

Would you be okay with a new game emulating previous personas without the key people in charge? I wouldn't.

Aki-at

Welcome to MY velvet room was such a hint from the beginning. I mightve suspected things anyway but hard to know for sure since I was fucking spoiled on it.

I got spoiled in it 40 hours in so I know how you feel, though I thought he was corrupted rather than an outright fake from how he was talking beforehand :p

I find this "people need to die for a story to be good" thing to be kindve creepy

Nothing creepy about it, depending on the themes or situation, death can be very meaningful or the only proper end for a character. Even though I mentioned Akechi's death itself falling flat for me, it itself is the only logical outcome for his character. He thought he was the protangonist of the story but instead he dies, offscreen, willing to accept he was nothing like that in the events that unfolded. It's a very fitting realisation and makes peace with it in the end. Now imagine if he survives? It'll just hurt that segment of the game even more for me.

Like Flux mentioned, as the game plays on our emotions for both Ryuji and Morgana, it does feel like a cop-out the whole team of heroes and their friends survived when it tries to play with our feelings of "Will s/he won't s/he die?"

daveo42

Banned
Now I want to know how they will boil down and simplify the characters in P5.

Ryuji: HEY GUYS! ISN'T BEING PHANTOM THIEVES JUST GREAT?
Ann: MAN I LOVE CAKE! ITS DELICIOUS
Morgana: I LOVE TREASURE!
Makoto: JUSTICE! JUSTICE MUST REIGN FROM ABOVE!
Yuskue: I HAVE TO DRAW NAKED WOMEN! Although, its not perverted in intent! I assure you
Futaba: "Insert Internet Lingo here"
Haru: "Anyone want my vegetables?"

No Makoto would all about telling Joker how smart she is while constantly blushing. Akechi would be raving about his justice and have a fondness for pancakes.

sjay1994

Well for starters they lack the manpower and they're missing their lead designer, producer and probably main composer.

While they could benefit technically from Persona 5, it's still something that starts from scratch. It's a perfect chance to show they can make something different. Breaking some of the conventions Hashino created.

Would you be okay with a new game emulating previous personas without the key people in charge? I wouldn't.

Missing?

Does that have something to do with that Fantasy RPG atlus is working on?

But if thats the case, I would agree with you.

Setsu00

Missing?

Does that have something to do with that Fantasy RPG atlus is working on?

But if thats the case, I would agree with you.

Hashino, this game's director and main creative lead, left P-Studio to develop that Fantasy RPG. Soejima and Meguro are seemingly still working on Persona, but at the same time mostly involved with the Fantasy RPG

Well, who knows. The gap between P3 and 4 was 2 years. Now that they have a solidified engine, maybe P6 will come out sooner.
Yeah, I don't see the gap being eight years this time. I don't see it being two years either, but it'll be much closer to two than eight.
FES added a way to save Chidori, and the FemC route in P3P had a way to save Shinji. Although neither are acknowledged by spinoffs.

Hell, The Answer, an extra scenario they added in the exact same re-release that they
let you bring Chidori back in
, didn't even acknowledge it, IIRC.

Regardless, I don't see them doing a similar thing with Akechi in a re-release- you can't have him survive without drastically changing the remainder of the story, regardless of if he re-joined the party or immediately turned himself in or whatever else. A spinoff doing that could work (and in fact his death was probably explicitly set up to allow the possibility of him surviving in case they did want to use him in a spinoff,) of course, but you can't really pull a "he survived but in a way that doesn't obligate us to actually change anything else that happens" with him.

Aki-at

With Sega pouring money in Atlus, I don't expect there to be such a long delay like there was between Persona 4 and 5. It'll still be longer than 2 years, but I wouldn't imagine it being more than 5 years for Persona 6 to release.

As Promised

LJO6xzm.png

bigedole

Hey all, I just finished the game yesterday. Loved it, great journey from start to finish. One question I'm left with is the game never really addresses why Soijiro took in the MC in the first place. It was hinted that someone asked him to, but I don't think I ever saw that brought up again? Did I miss something?

Aki-at

Hey all, I just finished the game yesterday. Loved it, great journey from start to finish. One question I'm left with is the game never really addresses why Soijiro took in the MC in the first place. It was hinted that someone asked him to, but I don't think I ever saw that brought up again? Did I miss something?

Nope, other than he's friends with a friend of the MC's family and he sees a bit of you in him, there's no real reason otherwise.

Young Magus

Greetings, i'm here to preach the good word about Goro Akechi.

He died like a fiddle: played.

I do feel some sympy for him, not enough to overlook the shit he did but sympy none the less. I was thinkin I'll be a dick to him in ng+ but I heard he legit cries when the dialog options are picked. And I already feel sorry for him enough

I just hope he don't get Adachi'd in future installments.

LotusHD

Banned
I just rolled my eyes basically the entire time, no way was I feeling sorry for him lol

Felt bad for Ryuji at the end.

Dude saves the group and they thought he died but he was knocked out for a few minutes and rejoined them and they beat him up for it.

Morgana does the same thing but waits 2 months for no reason other than to make people think he was gone for good and he gets off free from the group.

Fuck Morgana.

Well, Futaba did pinch his cheeks. :p

Zyrox

Dude's an ISIS level terrorist. He derailed a subway train with children in it ffs. No sob story could make me sympathize with him, especially not the weak one he delivered. His death scene was very lame.

Young Magus

Let's all pour one out for the party member with the best all out attack sequence

l3p9Z_s-200x150.gif

That feel when you realise that the a.o.a was the happy time he felt happy.

Should I still bother checking out the rest of P3 knowing a character's death? I played 10 hours and stopped.

Yes, dear YHVH yes.
The gameplay is miffy, the time system is rough around the edges, the female slinks need a friend option but the good in the game is GOOOOOD.

Like someone said P3 has good ideas and concepts but the excusation leaves a lot more to be desired. But its still would be worthy of a playthrough.

p3 p2 remake one day pls

Young Magus

Pretty sure his AoA is an extension of his fake persona as well as his actual haughtiness and self-righteous nature. Like everything that motivated him, it was a cry for attention.

I know ;_;, I was trying to believe ;_;

Also, from the getgo he always reminded me more of Adachi rather then Naoto. It was the name that made me go "......hes up to no good"

PK Gaming

Let's talk about Satanael

Satanael is Joker's ultimate Persona, but unlike Izanagi no Okami, it wasn't created from the achievement of the "World" Arcana, but rather, the outpouring support received from the citizens of Tokyo. I bring this up because it could be argued that Satanael is as much as a Persona for the Joker as it it is for the Phantom Thieves as a whole. So why isn't that reflected in its design?! Their should totally be a Phantom Thief logo somewhere!!

It's the one thing keeping Satanael from being a top tier Persona, because while it's certainly cool looking and it has an amazing moment, it lacked the impact that Izanagi-no-Okami had due to the latter's amazing design quirks (it has a goddamn tie to represent adulthood).

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Dang I'm so stupid I somehow never registered that Satanael is indeed part of the Fool Arcana. I somehow assumed for months that he was also a world arcana creation. Well that certainly throws a lot of assumptions I had about where the overall meta story of Persona might go out of the window.

I think they mentioned how that system works in Japan in an in-game TV program. When a kid is in probation a citizen must volunteer as a some sort of "legal guardian" (I don't remember what's the term they used in the game). They have to keep in contact with the police and they don't receive any money as compensation. I assume the only money he said he received was from MC's as a way of thanking him for what he's doing.

A.J.

Banned
Let's talk about Satanael

Satanael is Joker's ultimate Persona, but unlike Izanagi no Okami, it wasn't created from the achievement of the "World" Arcana, but rather, the outpouring support received from the citizens of Tokyo. I bring this up because it could be argued that Satanael is as much as a Persona for the Joker as it it is for the Phantom Thieves as a whole. So why isn't that reflected in its design?! Their should totally be a Phantom Thief logo somewhere!!

It's the one thing keeping Satanael from being a top tier Persona, because while it's certainly cool looking and it has an amazing moment, it lacked the impact that Izanagi-no-Okami had due to the latter's amazing design quirks (it has a goddamn tie to represent adulthood).

He has a sash which probably represents authority in the world

daveo42

Banned
Okay, this is real amazing. I notice Makoto for the first time on 5/31 as she starts stalking me around. Running into her on the next day and I totally broke her AI by having her follow me towards the bathroom. She's basically walking between the bathroom and the end of the hall on the first floor over and over again. This is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwYeWhCfHCY

Welcome to MY velvet room was such a hint from the beginning. I mightve suspected things anyway but hard to know for sure since I was fucking spoiled on it.

I've never played a Persona game so I got super swerved by the Igor reveal. I just thought that was how the character was and never thought about it further...until he popped off about how I fucked up and ruin was inevitable. Then when we got to the core of Mementos I fully realized what was happening.

Guess Who

Banned
This seems like a really huge thing, but I honestly don't remember: does everyone (besides the Phantom Thieves) remember how Tokyo got turned into a hellscape for like half a day until the Thieves saved the day? Does everyone but the Thieves forget after Morgana "dies"? How does that whole situation play out?

I was completely surprised by the Igor revelation, I hated the new voice so I loved that he went back to his more traditional sounding voice. One of the coolest parts of the game for sure in a game filled with many cool moments.

A-V-B

This seems like a really huge thing, but I honestly don't remember: does everyone (besides the Phantom Thieves) remember how Tokyo got turned into a hellscape for like half a day until the Thieves saved the day? Does everyone but the Thieves forget after Morgana "dies"? How does that whole situation play out?

It seems so. After that whole ordeal everything's back to normal, except now the public is really sketchy about people like Shido.

filthymitts

Neo Member
I don't think anybody besides the thieves remember because none of the other confidants even mention it? They didn't really show Sojiro or Mishima mentioning it so I assume nobody besides the thieves remember.

Anyway the Igor twist is probably my favorite Persona twist because of how well it was just set up. You don't get a velvet key either like all the other protagonists but you're like "oh it's a prison why would I have a key" so you think nothing of it.

I'm Team I Hope Akechi Stays Dead because I feel no sympathy for him and I don't need Atlus pulling an Adachi on him. When they tried to push him as the second coming of Naoto I was immediately dismissive of him because of how much I enjoyed Naoto as a character so in my mind there was no way in hell this dude was replacing her in any aspect.

RalchAC

He probably took pity on him.
Or he didn't want more suspicion on him

Better plan.

1. Go to Palace 6
2. Engage a fight
3. Set him to Direct Commands.
4. Wait until he is knocked out.
5. Run away from battle.

Problem solved. I'd be lying if I said I didn't do it once.

RalchAC

I think I already said I'm doing a NG+. This are some of my early impressions (just went to the Clinic for the first time):

- Shiho has totally been sexually abused. There is no room for error here IMO.
- I love how you can be an asshole to fake Igor.
- I wasn't sure, but in general Ryuji is quite nice to Morgana in this first few weeks. However, he still badmouths him. I think he's called him an idiot for no reason at least three times. That doesn't count the times he just doesn't get something about the cognitive world. Which, I dunno, would be kind of fine if he didn't go from a condescending tone to "Oh, don't worry sweety, this is too much information for anybody to handle at once!". If you choose the "Oh, I don't get it either" options, he isn't as mean to you either.

If there is a Persona 5 Ruby / Crimsom or whatever, I think they should do the following:

- Create a Shiho Confidant. You can work in the Hospital as a Janitor and you meet her there. I just want more Shiho. The fact that she is the first normal person that doesn't buy into those rumours touched my heart, I guess.
- Create a Mika Confidant too. She suddenly texts you after you meet her for the first time during Ann's. She starts hitting on you because she thinks you're Ann's BF. Flesh out how competitive the modelling world is and all that.
- Rewrite Ann's SL so it's more about her than about a lot other stuff.

You could have scenes where the different characters meet and everything.

I don't think Shiho should be romanced though. Unless the romance is started early and deals in a respectful way with the trauma people that's suffered from abuse go through. That could be nice. But it'd be a disaster if done wrong or with fanservice in mind. I guess that's the reason why she isn't a Confidant.

Five years later, and still just a suspect.

We don't know if the game is set 5 years after Persona 4. After all, it's 20XX you know.

Just finished the game, what a great ride. I hope we don't have to wait a long time before seeing that crew again.

Should be a lot sooner since they've nailed the engine they're probably going to stick with for the next few years. Will be curious where they go since it felt like joker was done with the velvet room permanently by the games end. Question really is which game will they be crossing over with.

Top Bottom