• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Persona 5 Spoiler Thread | Steal your heart; steel yourself

nOoblet16

Well, they could have done it this title. But now they have specifically drawn attention to the continuity of the voice actor.
Not really, while they used his voice as a deception it wasn't specifically the voice that differentiates him from old Igor. And it's matter even less if the new voice actor sounds the same.

ok, lets talk about the actual what the fuck things about this game

Like, how does hanging out with Ohya give you charm

I'm surprised you were shocked by that as opposed to building your charm points by bathing with old men. Talking to an older (albeit mostly drunk) lady can certainly help one build their charm.

Anyone knows if there is a reason for futaba codename to be changed from navi in Japanese to Oracle in English?

Abbreviating "Navigator" to "Navi" isn't really a thing that's done in English (if anything it's usually just abbreviated to "Nav," which sounds even worse as a code name,) so it made sense to change it rather than constantly make the audience think of the OoT fairy.

FluxWaveZ

I think Oracle is because of Batman isn't?

People keep referring to that as the obvious cultural touchstone, and it could indeed be a reference to that considering who Futaba is. But "oracle" inherently is a perfect term for one who guides and oversees, akin to Futaba's role. I mean, the name of Batman's one came from somewhere, and it's from that.

robotrock

Banned
3 and 4 had the same VA, they mean "5 is different than 3 and 4s".

P5 sounded like someone was doing their best impression of P3/P4's Igor.

Ahhh alright yeah, totally misread that post.

P5 def sounded off but I couldn't be sure. At least they knew to make both voices sound as different as possible

PK Gaming

So I finally finished my Persona 5 review. I think I wrote down just about everything I could think of, haha. Let's do this.

Gameplay

eYDnLHO.png

Gameplay has never really been a selling point for the Persona games, but P-studio has succeeded in making the act of playing Persona 5 as fun as possible. The battle system received a major overhaul, injecting some much needed life and balance into what was previously a basic experience. The Baton Pass feature and Guns add a speedy new dimension to battles, the balance curve is noticeably better, and the game is actually fairly challenging. Your party members feel distinct and powerful, especially when compared to previous games, to the point where your party members sometimes feel just as capable as the protagonist. The fusion system is significantly better, with more options across the board (with the best feature being the gallows execution, hands down). Negotiations are a blatant improvement over Shuffle Time, even if you get unlucky. Sadly, the game hides a crucial tutorial behind menus most players won't see, which can lead to some frustration. Once you start progressing and unlocking confidant abilities, negotiating becomes easier and more rewarding. Bosses have improved tremendously, most notably via the "mission" system, which changes up the pace of the fight. They're still fairly straightforward, but it's actually fun to experience a boss in Persona 5.

Also, for a game concerned with making the characters experience "true freedom", it was great how that was reflected in the actual gameplay as well. Compared to typical Persona games, Persona 5 is a game where:

• You can fuse Demons above your current level
  • Recruit demons that are higher leveled than you
  • Extort demons for a ridiculous amount of money
  • Continue night activities after dungeon crawling
  • Instantly knock down enemies
  • Quickly boost your social stats
  • Switch party members during battles
  • Baton Pass to another teammate
  • Instantly run away
  • Keep any Persona relevant for the entire game
These are things i'd kill to have in previous Persona games, and I was glad that Atlus broke conventions to deliver a fun, unconventional and memorable experience.

Dungeons were fun and unique, and a huge departure from previous Persona games. Exploring them was an absolute treat, since you could find treasure, trash enemies, sneak around and perform heists. Most of the time, I was absolutely lost in the fantasy of being a Phantom Thief. Occasionally, I was frustrated at some of the repetitive puzzle design and wonky pacing in some of the dungeons. Overall though, i'd say Persona 5 was easily Atlus's best take on dungeon crawling outside of the Etrian Odyssey games.

Tokyo is a significant departure from Inaba offering way more options; you can study at a diner, read, go fishing, dungeon crawl, discount dungeon crawl, watch movies, play video games, watch DVDs...There are a wealth of things to do in Persona 5, and the game is incredibly generous when it comes to the daily life segments; you have tons of opportunities to boost stats, progress through Confidants, and engage in various distractions. The game encourages you to experiment and at your own pace, and you're allowed to play it any number of ways. Aggressive players can expect max out all Confidants on their first playthrough, though even more laidback players should be able to max out most of them in their first run. Unfortunately, P5 is particularly heavy on stat gates, and while I understand that they were placed in order to prevent players from effortlessly maxing all confidants due to how lenient the game is, there are some particularly egregious examples gatekeeping that can damper the experience. Still, it's a blatant improvement from Persona 3's implementation, and not all that far behind from Persona 4 all things considered.

Characters

At first glance, the characters are about what you should expect from a Persona game. Great designs, solid voice acting, fun personalities... the usual stuff. The difference is that in Persona 5, the writing on them is generally much better. Consider the following:

• Mitsuru: A high school student can run a huge company
  • Haru: A high school student who can't run a huge company
Something that doesn't get brought up enough is how natural the P5 characters feel when compared to the previous casts. Sure, they occasionally indulge in anime tropes, but they're generally more grounded than the previous Persona characters. The game is filled with moments that sell this, from the various LINE-style text chains, to the errant dialogue in Mementos. There's also a whole new level of independence that the Phantom Thieves have as a group, when compared to previous casts. The individual members of the Phantom Thieves feel competent, offering differing viewpoints and reacting to things in varied ways, instead of always just agreeing with each other and relying on Joker. I also greatly appreciate how they tend to have individual moments outside of their establishing arcs. My only real disappointments in the group are Morgana, who after having a standout performance for most of the game game, has an incredibly disappointing resolution to his character. I have similar problems with Akechi who I feel was mishandled, though overall, Atlus took a best of both worlds approach with P5's main cast. They're not as protagonist-centric as the Investigation Team was, and they have a stronger dynamic group than P3's cast, resulting in what is arguably the strongest cast in the Persona series to date.

Story

Persona 5's plot is filled with ambition. It immediately hooks you an intriguing set up, then slowly feeds you the rest of the story piecemeal. It's at times, a brutal examination of the issues that plague Japan and modern society in general. Other times, it's plodding and overly drawn out, and at its very worst, obnoxious. Persona 5 is a game with a lot to tell, and while I appreciate it for the most part, it could have used with some trimming down. The serialized first half of the game is fairly solid, each with solid self-contained stories that have good conclusions. The 2nd half, dives into the meat of the story, and it's at this point where the story flow changes.The 2nd half is filled with some of the series highest highs, but it also has some unfortunate lows. Unlike Persona 3 and Persona 4, Persona 5 just doesn't seem to know when to end, and it ends up feeling a bit too long in the tooth. While I appreciate all of the things it tried to show, I wish it was more concise. That said, the ending message is especially powerful, and I think its narrative easily eclipses that of Persona 3 and Persona 4, even if its flaws run deeper.

Visuals & Music

The game looks gorgeous. It sounds gorgeous. It feels gorgeous. Characters look good, with realistic proportions (TFW Sae is 6'0). Tokyo is faithfully recreated, character portraits are lovingly crafted, Attacks and Skills look superb, and the various enemies have great designs. Probably my favorite game to look at, ever. The music is godlike.

Just top class stuff. What else needs to be said?

Verdict

Overall, Persona 5 was the Persona experience dialed up to eleven. Its gameplay is the best the series has ever seen, with excellent characters, and an ambitious story to back it up. Its visuals and soundtrack are amazing, and it's lovingly crafted game overall. It has clear flaws though, with some story and pacing issues that become more apparent in the latter half. The localization is honestly, aggressively mediocre, and Persona 5 is absolutely backwards when it comes to LGBT representation. Its insistence of forcing fanservice is also jarring and obnoxious, oftentimes leading to situations where it feels like it's selling out own characters. But even in spite of all that, Persona 5 is an excellent RPG and easily one of the Atlus's best games to date.

9/10

It still doesn't sit right with me that Philemon is pretty much gone, due to his thematic relevance as a guide who appears in dreams. Elijah could even fill the same role if they wanted a substitute other than Igor.

Unrelated, but it would've been great if Soul Hackers' Nyx and NINE's Izanami were included as Personas.

I've finished the game.

People weren't kidding when they said there'd be major post-Persona depression when you complete your journey. This game has been my life for the past three weeks. 99:07 is my final playtime. I bought a PS4 just for this game - this was my first Persona game.

Entire last 2/3 hours of the game I had tears running down my eyes intermittently. This was a magical game, and it's most certainly on my "favorite games ever" list.

I want to go back...

I've finished the game.

People weren't kidding when they said there'd be major post-Persona depression when you complete your journey. This game has been my life for the past three weeks. 99:07 is my final playtime. I bought a PS4 just for this game - this was my first Persona game.

Entire last 2/3 hours of the game I had tears running down my eyes intermittently. This was a magical game, and it's most certainly on my "favorite games ever" list.

I want to go back...

Lol I've experienced the same. Lucky for you since this was your first Persona game, you can at least go try 3 and 4 if you are itching for some more.

Sayad

Between Futaba and her friend's story, is just dropping out of high school and not pursuing other forms of education a thing in Japan! I thought education until high school was mandatory! Think I saw that in a manga too(Onani Master).

wapplew

I've finished the game.

I want to go back...

Wow, never played a Persona and you bought a PS4 for it? That's some leap of faith.
Glad you end up loving it.

RalchAC

I remember when I finished Persona 4 Golden I was super depressed, then I found out about the true ending, reloaded a save 10 hours earlier and rushed Marie's SL. Got 20 extra hours of the game. It wasn't enough.

For a week I couldn't hear Nevermore without crying. I still get emotional when I hear it.

I lent my Vita to a friend just so he could experience the game. I just love too much hearing his impressions about the game. He loves it too.

Persona 4 is such a unique game...

Sciel

I've finished the game.

I want to go back...
Glad you enjoyed it so much (that leap of faith!).
The Persona games truly are very special, unique experiences that few games can match.

Wow, never played a Persona and you bought a PS4 for it? That's some leap of faith.
Glad you end up loving it.
Glad you enjoyed it so much (that leap of faith!).
The Persona games truly are very special, unique experiences that few games can match.

Heh, it wasn't too much of a leap of faith - I tried it out at a friend's house first. After I hit about three hours, I was like "I need to get a PS4 right now".

slash3584

I remember when I finished Persona 4 Golden I was super depressed, then I found out about the true ending, reloaded a save 10 hours earlier and rushed Marie's SL. Got 20 extra hours of the game. It wasn't enough.

For a week I couldn't hear Nevermore without crying. I still get emotional when I hear it.

I lent my Vita to a friend just so he could experience the game. I just love too much hearing his impressions about the game. He loves it too.

Yeah I was devastated when I finally beat P4.

I remember hanging on into anything that had to do with persona for at least a month.

I watched both of the animes for P4 and the P3 movies that were out at the moment.

But for P5 while I still feel kinda sad that's over I don't feel the same way I did when I finished P4, but I think it's because of two things:

1) In P4 the goodbye scenes felt like real "We are never going to see each other again" kind of goodbyes. Probably because I think the P5 cast feels way more adult than the P4 one. With the P4 cast It felt more like some childhood friends that won't ever meet again, while in P5 with the whole driving the guy home and all that makes it seems a lot easier for them to meet and keep in touch.

2) When I finished P4 (P4G to be exact) it was probably 5 years after the original game came out and I didn't think that is was possible to get that many spin offs as it did and that I probably wasn't going to see the cast anywhere else for a long time if ever. And while there's nothing anounced right now I think it's incredibly likely we'll get at least an enhanced version of P5 and some spin offs too, so I'm just kinda waiting to see what new adventures await the P5 cast.

Aki-at

It still doesn't sit right with me that Philemon is pretty much gone, due to his thematic relevance as a guide who appears in dreams. Elijah could even fill the same role if they wanted a substitute other than Igor.

Unrelated, but it would've been great if Soul Hackers' Nyx and NINE's Izanami were included as Personas.

I knew the Igor twist beforehand so part of me thought when they started to mention game that both Philemon and Nyarlathotep were about to make their return and there was another twist for fans who know the backstory of the series... alas it wasn't meant to be :(

I've finished the game.

I want to go back...

When the game ended I didn't quite feel so sad, sort of a well it's done now feeling.

But listening to Persona 5's credit song from time to time does makes me feel melancholy. Then I recall the ending scene with "Wake up, Get up, Get out there" and it's so perfect I can't help but smile. Those kids are finally free.

Sayad

There's a bit of that sad feeling(and emptiness) when the game ends which is why I jumped into NG+ the next day, but it's nothing compared to Nier:A, that game broke me for weeks. :(

RalchAC

Heh, it wasn't too much of a leap of faith - I tried it out at a friend's house first. After I hit about three hours, I was like "I need to get a PS4 right now".

Sounds like a friend of mine lol.

He played Persona 5 for like 3 hours and a week later sent a video with him unboxing the steelbook edition.

He didn't have a PS4 when I showed him the game.

carlsojo

Still in the beginning of my second playthrough.... tbh Kamoshida is probably the most evil to me of all of the villains. Even Shido never skeeved me out as much as Kamoshida.

Most of the villains aren't any less evil than Kamoshida, many of their crimes just aren't as directly affecting to the main cast. Plus he gets more buildup since Joker, Ann and Ryuji all have their awakenings tied to him.

Sure Madarame let Yusuke's mother die and drove one of his students to suicide and beat his students and let many of them go to live on the streets and plagiarised work, and used his influence to destroy careers, but Joker, Ann and Ryuji aren't really affected by any of this, and Yusuke won't accept that he's a victim until a good way through the dungeon.

I've finished the game.

I want to go back...

I've never gotten post Persona depression but I usually get super obsessed with the game for weeks, even months after reaching the ending. I played the Japanese version of P5 and wanted to play a second run so badly, but I managed to refrain myself from doing so until we got the English version this month, I was even jealous of the people who got it early even though I had already played it. xD

But now that you have a PS4 you could play other games like The Last Guardian, Bloodborne and Nier: Automata.

Goldboy

I've finished the game.

I want to go back...

I remember this feeling well after finishing Persona 4 Golden. My first playthrough was 70ish hours long and I still didn't want it to end.

Just finished the game at just under 100 hours and I wanna write down my thoughts.

The strongest element of this game is how much it felt like a journey you went with your friends. The writing and dialogue aren't flawless, I can easily name several other games that have better and more naturally-written dialogue than P5, but I don't know how Atlus does it, by the end of the game, you really feel a connection with your party members and genuinely feel sad once you see the credits rolling. Maybe it's because of how much time you spend with these characters doing relatively mundane activities (just like with friends in real life), that you end up developing an actual bond with the characters. I felt empty after the title screen popped up again, the journey was over but I want more. I wanted to hang out with Haru just for another in-game week even if it's to hear her talk about vegetables. Taken individually, it's hard to pinpoint exactly what makes these characters (oftentimes stereotypes or anime tropes) so engaging, but it's the overall package and the daily life sim that ties everything all up together oh so well. The social-sim aspect is definitely the strongest point of the game.

I did enjoy the plot a great deal as well. The political and societal commentary, while mostly referring to Japanese society, can be perfectly applied outside, and while it does get a little on-the-nose at times, the underlying message is ultimately inspiring.

Going from the bland dungeons in 3 and 4 to real dungeons crafted by real people with real puzzles and real scenery was a treat. The setpieces for the boss battles are impressive as well.I don't see how future games can top fighting Japanese Armstrong on top of the Diet Building amidst a sinking Tokyo.

When Akechi was first introduced, I was initially worried how they'd reveal him as a traitor to the party members considering how obvious he was the traitor to the audience even if you missed his pancake comment. The actual plot twist where it's revealed that ALL the party members knew in advance and was actually luring him into a trap, was brilliant.

The style and presentation of the game is simply impeccable. I've never seen a more stylish game before and even playing with the menus to see Joker make slightly different poses while crossing his legs is fun.

Lots of minor quality of life changes makes the game so much better. Changing party members on the fly or restarting boss battles immediately are welcome changes to the series. I do wish the game had a quick-load button you can use in cutscenes though. And a cutscene viewer.

One of the criticisms I have on the story and its themes is how Joker, despite the story making him out to be this badass rebel of society, still meekly takes orders from a cat to tell him to go to bed. Railroading is definitely a major issue I have with this game, but at least they could've have Joker express his tiredness in thought bubbles instead of having him slavishly follow his cat, it wouldn't solve the railroading, but at least Joker doesn't seem like a wimp.

And speaking of Joker, it's disappointing how little he has to contribute in most dialogue scenes. Most group discussions end up with the rest of the group making up plans and discussing among themselves, ignoring Joker unless they want him to say one of 3 variations of "yes". You can remove Joker from the scene and there wouldn't be much of a difference. Even in anime cutscenes he speaks a bit, but not enough. Let him talk, Atlus, he has a great voice.

I think this is the one of the few games (another being 4) where upon completing the game, I just sat for several minutes staring at the title screen, just reminiscing on the times I spent in Tokyo. Summoning Satan with the power of friendship to save Christmas had me at the edge of my seat. I eagerly await anything the Persona Team comes up with next (that doesn't flanderize the characters or is clearly a cash grab).

I guess writing this down eases the pain of completing P5.
(Also minor thing that amused me: I named my character with the last name "Usami" in reference to an entirely different character from another series, and was mildly amused when I found out the Maths teacher is named Ms Usami. I actually went and checked another video to see whether your Maths teacher is supposed to be related to you.)

dukie85

I think​ the main thing that pisses me off in P5 is no matter how many questions in class you answer right, the shitty perception of you is still the same from the students lol. They should've added more dialogue to those little sections IMO. You can be top of the class, and they don't say anything different lol.

Ultimadrago

I think​ the main thing that pisses me off in P5 is no matter how many questions in class you answer right, the shitty perception of you is still the same from the students lol. They should've added more dialogue to those little sections IMO. You can be top of the class, and they don't say anything different lol.

lol. Agreed, it's like "Damn! This shouldn't surprise you all anymore!"

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
The writing and dialogue aren't flawless, I can easily name several other games that have better and more naturally-written dialogue than P5, but I don't know how Atlus does it, by the end of the game, you really feel a connection with your party members and genuinely feel sad once you see the credits rolling.

That's on the localization though and everyone really should speak up that this shouldn't happen again.

MrS

Banned
Credits rolled at 81 hours for me. I enjoyed it. Nowhere near GOTY quality to me but I enjoyed the twists and turns of the plot though I feel the game overstayed its welcome a little. I shall miss my bae Kawakami. The sections where you couldn't do anything but watch story and go to sleep really fucking irked me and felt at odds with the rest of game. Late boss battles were tough but fun.

The chalk throw pisses me off more. Why the hell do you need a 5 in Proficiency to dodge it. Hell it would be more awesome if you could catch it and it gives you a bonus on charm, guts and proficiency.

It would be better than the shitty baseball thing they added.

kadotsu

Banned
Credits rolled at 81 hours for me. I enjoyed it. Nowhere near GOTY quality to me but I enjoyed the twists and turns of the plot though I feel the game overstayed its welcome a little. I shall miss my bae Kawakami. The sections where you couldn't do anything but watch story and go to sleep really fucking irked me and felt at odds with the game.

The parts leading up to a palace are easily the worst part of the game. They should have put in some days where you explore mementos for clues to mix stuff up. I hope that the Persona team, which has now a good template for dungeons, will go back to the life sim part of the game and do another pass on it. The Atelier games are an order of magnitude better at that aspect.

LotusHD

Banned
Credits rolled at 81 hours for me. I enjoyed it. Nowhere near GOTY quality to me but I enjoyed the twists and turns of the plot though I feel the game overstayed its welcome a little. I shall miss my bae Kawakami. The sections where you couldn't do anything but watch story and go to sleep really fucking irked me and felt at odds with the rest of game. Late boss battles were tough but fun.

Pretty much how I can't help but feel even though it's been a few days. Basically everything past the twist that we were prepared for Akechi's betrayal fell kind of flat for me, with the Igor twist being slightly interesting. I was enjoying it a lot before then (Futaba/Palace 4 was the pinnacle for me, with the mystery of finding out who betrayed me driving me), even with the tedium present in the palaces and such. To put it bluntly, at some point I was just ready for it to end.

Also I should've been a pimp lol, don't see myself replaying this anytime soon.

Top Bottom