• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Persona 5 Spoiler Thread | Steal your heart; steel yourself

I was actually kinda surprised because I didn't know where Atlus was going with it. They put him on the boxart so I kind of expected them to go straightforward and make him seem bad, but then join you. Turns out they made him evil. I actually thought that was a cool twist, if not executed very well.

I agree it's a cool twist. He is animated and voice acted very well. I just wish there was maybe two less scenes that made it so obvious.

Don't get me wrong though. Very cool story

Yeah, now that you mention it, it was a bit odd that the news never mentioned his death. It could be that Shido confessed to it as part of one of his many crimes.

The game doesn't really have the time to bring it up though, because after Shido's confession you immediately go into Mementos Depths.
I think his body vanished after Shido's palace collapsed. No one but the phantom thieves even knows what happened to him.

kwabi

Beat the game a week ago and I'm already reminiscing about my 80 hours with it. Listening to the soundtrack at work is seriously tempting me to start another play through, but I really should move onto my backlog.

Question: During a few cutscenes, (late game), I remember seeing some hazy-red effects fill the screen as Morgana and Futaba were talking in the attic. I think its when they were talking about Akechi, but I'm not sure. Did they ever address this? What was up with the screen going all hazy? I think I might have missed some dialogue or something.

Spoilers are free-reign in here. If you want to talk about the fact that Akechi was obviously evil, then feel free to discuss.

I was actually kinda surprised because I didn't know where Atlus was going with it. They put him on the boxart so I kind of expected them to go straightforward and make him seem bad, but then join you. Turns out they made him evil. I actually thought that was a cool twist, if not executed very well.

I wasn't 100% sure where they were going with Akechi. Given that there were 9 silhouettes, 9 characters on the loading screen, 9 characters on the box art, and yet only 8 characters show on the title sequence, it flagged him even before I'd started the game.

When they told me after ten minutes there was a traitor, and Goro Akechi was instantly high on the list. If you're going to have a traitor in your party, it's more likely to be a man than a woman (because waifu reasons), and more likely to be someone that joins later rather than earlier.

Honestly though, going into the post-palace 6 sequence, I thought he been over-cooked to the point he was a bait and switch. I thought they'd go with Haru as the traitor (having seen her dad die, and with the principal's fake calling card she'd be pretty vulnerable to doubting them with Sae as the true culprit (judge, jury and executioner).

So when it was Goro Akechi, it felt like a double bluff.

Forgive my ignorance, what is Persona 5: Arena and Persona 5: Q2, are these expansions?

Persona 4 had three spin off games: Arena (fighting game), Dancing all Night (Rhythm game), Q (dungeon crawling)

Beat the game a week ago and I'm already reminiscing about my 80 hours with it. Listening to the soundtrack at work is seriously tempting me to start another play through, but I really should move onto my backlog.

Question: During a few cutscenes, (late game), I remember seeing some hazy-red effects fill the screen as Morgana and Futaba were talking in the attic. I think its when they were talking about Akechi, but I'm not sure. Did they ever address this? What was up with the screen going all hazy? I think I might have missed some dialogue or something.

The drugs from the police were affecting Joker's memories, those were basically discussing their Ocean's Eleven plan to outplay Akechi.

Yes, the sections where they plan to outwit Akechi are deliberately blurry, and they replay and fill in those scenes post palace 6.

The Smoking Man

Neo Member
I wasn't 100% sure where they were going with Akechi. Given that there were 9 silhouettes, 9 characters on the loading screen, 9 characters on the box art, and yet only 8 characters show on the title sequence, it flagged him even before I'd started the game.

When they told me after ten minutes there was a traitor, and Goro Akechi was instantly high on the list. If you're going to have a traitor in your party, it's more likely to be a man than a woman (because waifu reasons), and more likely to be someone that joins later rather than earlier.

Honestly though, going into the post-palace 6 sequence, I thought he been over-cooked to the point he was a bait and switch. I thought they'd go with Haru as the traitor (having seen her dad die, and with the principal's fake calling card she'd be pretty vulnerable to doubting them with Sae as the true culprit (judge, jury and executioner).

So when it was Goro Akechi, it felt like a double bluff.

This. I thought the "traitor" element was going to be a red herring or some elaborate ruse to get MC into a room with Sae. I honestly thought the twist was going to be they "staged" an arrest in her palace in order to somehow change her heart or something and that Akechi was just playing the part of the traitor.

Bladenic

I mean, i dont think it was supposed to be a "twist" in any way. That's why the characters knew too. The big twist was probably that they knew and had a plan. Or Igor.

Wow this is very cool. A dungeon crawler sounds like it would be fun for P5. Thanks for the info.

Before that we are also expecting a P5 expansion of some sort.

P3 had P3 FES and then P3P (Portable)

P4 had P4 Golden on Vita so maybe we'll have a P5 "Crimson" at some point.

Lunar15

Yeah, I really don't think Akechi's reveal is supposed to be jarringly shocking. The pancakes thing was a pretty clear giveaway, to the point where even the main characters picked up on it.

I'm actually kind of glad the main characters picked up on the pancakes thing. I feel like that's something P4's cast would not have gathered.

Is this normal with Persona games, spinoffs after the initial "main release?"

If so, are they usually as fleshed out as the main game?

P3 and P4 were milked to hell and back with re-releases, anime adaptations, and spinoffs over the past several years and P5 is a bigger success than both of those two combined, so yeah, I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that P5 will get the same treatment. It may not be milked as hard as P3/4 was only because the time between 5 and 6 will probably be lower than the time between 4 and 5, so there'll be less time for them to milk 5 before 6 becomes the new cool thing.

Gameplay-wise they're all pretty solid for their genres, but story-wise I think the general consensus on the spinoffs ranges from "decent but nothing special" to "bad" depending on who you ask and what game you ask them about. If you want to see more of the characters from the main games they'll satisfy you well enough, but don't expect anything amazing either.

Before that we are also expecting a P5 expansion of some sort.

P3 had P3 FES and then P3P (Portable)

P4 had P4 Golden on Vita so maybe we'll have a P5 "Crimson" at some point.

P3 and P4 were milked to hell and back with re-releases, anime adaptations, and spinoffs over the past several years and P5 is a bigger success than both of those two combined, so yeah, I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that P5 will get the same treatment. It may not be milked as hard as P3/4 was only because the time between 5 and 6 will probably be lower than the time between 4 and 5, so there'll be less time for them to milk 5 before 6 becomes the new cool thing.

Gameplay-wise they're all pretty solid for their genres, but story-wise I think the general consensus on the spinoffs ranges from "decent but nothing special" to "bad" depending on who you ask and what game you ask them about. If you want to see more of the characters from the main games they'll satisfy you well enough, but don't expect anything amazing either.

Oh, I see. Thanks for the replies, very helpful.

I would love an expansion and a dungeon crawler type game. Rhythm and fighting aren't my style but this cast in P5 is so charming to me that I would probably happily consume anything they put out.

Well, I clearly have a lot to learn about the Persona series but this has been very helpful getting me started. I can't adaquately express how much I enjoy P5.

Guess Who

Banned
Oh, I see. Thanks for the replies, very helpful.

I would love an expansion and a dungeon crawler type game. Rhythm and fighting aren't my style but this cast in P5 is so charming to me that I would probably happily consume anything they put out.

Well, I clearly have a lot to learn about the Persona series but this has been very helpful getting me started. I can't adaquately express how much I enjoy P5.

Honestly, if you'd only be in it for the story... don't play the spinoffs. (Unless the P5 spinoffs are somehow way better written than P4's were, I guess.)

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Honestly, if you'd only be in it for the story... don't play the spinoffs. (Unless the P5 spinoffs are somehow way better written than P4's were, I guess.)

Aha.

Ahahaha.

Hahhhhhh.

I wonder what traits will get really exaggerated for each.

Will Haru become anti-chie?

Will Ryuji become even more annoying?

Guess Who

Banned
Aha.

Ahahaha.

Hahhhhhh.

I wonder what traits will get really exaggerated for each.

Will Haru become anti-chie?

Will Ryuji become even more annoying?

ryuji will become yosuke

ann will be the fanservice bait

makoto will be a tsundere

futaba will speak in nothing but memes

haru will say horrible things in a cute voice

akechi will STAY FUCKIGEHND DEAD I S WEAR TO OGD

Bladenic

ryuji will become yosuke

ann will be the fanservice bait

makoto will be a tsundere

futaba will speak in nothing but memes

haru will say horrible things in a cute voice

akechi will STAY FUCKIGEHND DEAD I S WEAR TO OGD

Ryuji can't become Yosuke because that means he's required to grow half a brain (Yosuke was annoying but he wasn't that dumb, he's practically the leader and smartest of the team until Naoto)

Ann already is that

Makoto will probably become "YOU NEED TO STUDY LOL"

And Haru will become nothing but a giant oversized pink sweater with eyes

Guess Who

Banned

you know, it'd actually be kind of cute if they did to haru what they did with chie's design in pq, where she is more jacket than human

tumblr_mzlwlazSc11qzp9weo1_500.gif

ckohler

I'm playing New Game + in order to get the Platinum and I have.a question:

How do the Rank 10 Confidant rewards work? How do I use them?

Also, the game said something about having a persona of the same arcana with me to improve my relationships with those confidants I maxed before but wasn't that always the same? I don't understand what's different this time. Do I still need to give all the right anawers?

Ryuji can't become Yosuke because that means he's required to grow half a brain (Yosuke was annoying but he wasn't that dumb, he's practically the leader and smartest of the team until Naoto)

Ann already is that

Makoto will probably become "YOU NEED TO STUDY LOL"

Yosuke intelligent?

You literally met him for the first time inside a trash can...

Yosuke intelligent?

You literally met him for the first time inside a trash can...
Persona 4 often uses physical comedy and uses Yosuke as the butt of the joke (having to piss really badly, crashing his bike and landing in a trash can, Chie kicking him the nuts) but Yosuke also shows his intellegence throughout the game as he usually plays the mouthpiece for the protagonist during the the investigation discussions

Also, the game said something about having a persona of the same arcana with me to improve my relationships with those confidants I maxed before but wasn't that always the same? I don't understand what's different this time. Do I still need to give all the right anawers?

The effects of the confidant gifts for NG+ activates the moment you start their slink. So like you can only use Yoshida's negotiates bonus when you start his story. Read the description on the items carefully because not all of them unlock all the abilities- Hifumi's only gives you the ability to instant retreat.

The gift you get for Valentines let's you rank up with the confidant every time you spend time with them. I think it makes them like Sun/Moon.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I like Ryuji a lot but it feels like they went out of their way to make him dumb. Then again he got the best lines because of that, especially his interactions with Akechi.

My best bro cant possibly be this dumb

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I'm trying to think of an intelligent thing yosuke did or said and I'm coming up nada.

How about swinging around replica weapons like a dumbass in public which gets him and Yu arrested? That not intelligent enough for ya?

At least Ryuji slides you weapons on the down low.

How about swinging around replica weapons like a dumbass in public which gets him and Yu arrested? That not intelligent enough for ya?

At least Ryuji slides you weapons on the down low.

while screaming "THIS'LL BE GOOD FOR WHEN WE - RYUJI SAKAMOTO AND AKIRA WHATSHISFACE - STEAL HEARTS AS THE PHANTOM THIEVES! WHICH WE ARE!"

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
"HEY, YOU KNOW HOW WE'RE WANTED BY THE POLICE AND STUFF, HOW ABOUT WE TELL SOME CHICKS WE'RE THE PHANTOM THIEVES.

LET'S GET SOME BRO."

Though to be fair on Ryuji, MC isn't exactly great at hiding his phantom thieviness to the chicks he gets with.

Althane

Temperance:
Use the phone in Le Blanc in the night after being in a Palace or Mementos to get the Evening time slot back. Also, all prior services are now free.

Heirophant:
You now make better curry. Oddly, so does your homeroom teacher.

Fortune:
Go see her. This one sucks.

Those are the ones that stick out to me, everyone else is fairly explanatory.

I believe that that just adds an extra multiplier which will eliminate any Spend Time events, but I haven't really noticed an effect since I just use Chihaya for everything. ^^;;

Edit: Derp. You meant the items you get from them at the end of the game. Sorry. -_-;;

Bronetta

"HEY, YOU KNOW HOW WE'RE WANTED BY THE POLICE AND STUFF, HOW ABOUT WE TELL SOME CHICKS WE'RE THE PHANTOM THIEVES.

LET'S GET SOME BRO."

Though to be fair on Ryuji, MC isn't exactly great at hiding his phantom thieviness to the chicks he gets with.

Ryuji did nothing wrong.

If anything MC blew their cover by getting real cozy with women.

sasliquid

While I consider myself a Yosuke defender he's not smarter than Queen Yukiko.

I'm 99% P5 is getting an Anime and 92% it's getting an arena spinoff but I'm not as convinced about a Q-esque spinoff.

While I consider myself a Yosuke defender he's not smarter than Queen Yukiko.

I'm 99% P5 is getting an Anime and 92% it's getting an arena spinoff but I'm not as convinced about a Q-esque spinoff.

There's not really a lower budget portable that will be around for a Q-esque thing. But I guess they could do a lower budget thing for say the Switch. Also if Etrian Odyssey disappears as a series the chances drop substantially​ given how much it borrows.

I would expect some kind of RPG-ish spinoff if there's a huge gap between 5 and 6 though.

sasliquid

There's not really a lower budget portable that will be around for a Q-esque thing. But I guess they could do a lower budget thing for say the Switch. Also if Etrian Odyssey disappears as a series the chances drop substantially​ given how much it borrows.

I would expect some kind of RPG-ish spinoff if there's a huge gap between 5 and 6 though.

Well now that Hasino has moved on and Persona is Atlus' biggest money maker they can push for a quicker turn around on the next game. On the other hand they may also play it cautiously as they seem more eager than most to keep their games up to a certain standard.

I expect we will see P6 in 3/4 years depending on how much it shifts away and the new team. Plus I don't want it too soon, if they can recreate what Hashino does I need more time to emotionally heal between games.

Top Bottom