• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Persona 5 Spoiler Thread | Steal your heart; steel yourself

all the anime cutscenes in p5 suck ass. if all of them could be replaced with equivalent in-engine scenes it would be a tremendous improvement.

this sakuga blog did a good write-up about the anime scenes

I feel like if the eventual handheld/crimson version includes something like a FeMC, that's how they'll do it. It'll be cheaper to create the currently animated scenes in-engine and swap out the male/female protag than to create a second version that uses a female protagonist instead, right?

It'd also help for new scenes too.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Someone's got to help futaba brush her teeth while she sleeps.

Seriously though, the opening felt like something shaft would do.

Lunar15

Most of the Anime cutscenes involve multiple locations or a lot of character movement. There's a reason they didn't do in game cutscenes for those scenes.

Guess Who

Banned
Most of the Anime cutscenes involve multiple locations or a lot of character movement. There's a reason they didn't do in game cutscenes for those scenes.

There's plenty of in-engine cutscenes with lots of character movement (or even environments changing, like the scenes before the Wakaba and Shido boss fights), so I don't buy that as a reason. I can imagine rapidly switching locations with no load screen is a problem, but there are a number of anime cutscenes that doesn't apply to.

Haru seems kind of off model (particularly her hair) in the cutscenes. Combined with the pose in the opening that has 0 to do with her (unlike literally everyone else), I wonder if they did a bit of a transition with her character late in production somewhere.

PK Gaming

all the anime cutscenes in p5 suck ass. if all of them could be replaced with equivalent in-engine scenes it would be a tremendous improvement.

this sakuga blog did a good write-up about the anime scenes

The first cutscene was pretty good, but it's all down hill from there. You can feel their passion drain after the opening.

The lategame cutscenes in particular... yeugh

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I don't know why they keep doing it. P4's was off model a LOT too.

Catherine's was actually pretty good from what I've remembered.

PK Gaming

1475838-guyfromcatherine.jpg

Guess Who

Banned
I don't know why they keep doing it. P4's was off model a LOT too.

Catherine's was actually pretty good from what I've remembered.

p4's anime cutscenes were mediocre but the in-game graphics were total shit, so it was still better than doing pivotal scenes in-engine.

catherine's anime scenes were solid, but i ultimately still preferred the in-engine look there as well.

Catherine looked way better than P5 as far as animated scenes go. It doesn't even look like they bothered finishing the character models in most of them. If an anime exists by the time of the release they should just stick those in there.

Just finished the game, 96 hours logged.

I honestly was starting to feel that the game was sagging during the Shido arc, which took me probably around 15 hours alone to finish. Once I finished it last week, I dang near just shelved the game, but a friend of mine reached out and said I should just make one final push, which I did tonight.

Everything from the Satanael summon to the end was fantastic, and I don't regret putting the time in to cap things off.

I was definitely saddened to see max social link kinda come into play when it came to saying goodbyes. I get that most of them directly reference closing moments of social link storylines, but even then, I felt horribly deprived since I didn't manage to max out too many of them. I really wanted to kind of get a 1-on-1 wrap up with all of the confidants and party members.

Still, the proper roadtrip scene send-off to the game felt great, and I'm glad the game sort of simmered down in the closing sequences to a more grounded setting with Sae vouching for adults having to carry the torch from then on in making society and the world a better place.

All of that said, I'm still relieved to have this one off my shoulders for now -- I have so many huge games backlogged because I decided Persona 5 was going to be my main game until I finished it. As I stated before, I was starting to kind of regret that feeling as I began to burn out during the Shido arc, but the climax and closing sequence pulled me back. I'd like to do a new game+ and aim for a Platinum trophy in the future, but I'll wait until very solid guides start to surface -- I know NG+ provides some shortcuts like not having to worry about social stats and fast-tracking your previous game's max confidants, but I think I will still follow a detailed guide to ensure that I don't have to go through this VERY lengthy game a third time, as much as I like it. :p

Curufinwe

I did not see the Akechi turn coming, just assumed it was Shido killing people in the Metaverse. As a character my main impression of Akechi was thinking it was kind of weird for Atlus to go back to the detective prince well after Naoto, and thinking of him as the new Naoto meant I didn't ever consider him as a possible bad guy like
Adachi.

But if Persona 6 has a detective character whose name begins with
A and ends with chi
, then I'm going to be very suspicious of him or her.

I put P4 spoilers in tags just in case.

Lunar15

Several of my friends clocked out at the Shido arc too. That dungeon's just too long for where it is in the story.

It doesn't help that dialogue gets intensely repetitive at that part too: "I can't believe people trust Shido, we'll show them!"

The calling card is great and I enjoyed the boss battle, but there needed to be a more immediate jump from you pulling a fast one on akechi to taking down Shido/Akechi. You also don't get a release from beating Shido since it rolls into the endgame setup. P4 at least concluded the Killer's arc and let you move on before bringing up the final endgame boss. It's one too many climaxes.

On one hand I liked that it made the final endgame boss less of an afterthought, but it also wrecked the pacing of Shido's arc. Thankfully the epilogue is stellar and I felt it made up for it.

Catherine looked way better than P5 as far as animated scenes go. It doesn't even look like they bothered finishing the character models in most of them. If an anime exists by the time of the release they should just stick those in there.
If it's anything like the P4 anime, they will not be an upgrade. Maybe even a downgrade.

Bluecondor

Several of my friends clocked out at the Shido arc too. That dungeon's just too long for where it is in the story.

It doesn't help that dialogue gets intensely repetitive at that part too: "I can't believe people trust Shido, we'll show them!"

The calling card is great and I enjoyed the boss battle, but there needed to be a more immediate jump from you pulling a fast one on akechi to taking down Shido/Akechi. You also don't get a release from beating Shido since it rolls into the endgame setup. P4 at least concluded the Killer's arc and let you move on before bringing up the final endgame boss. It's one too many climaxes.

On one hand I liked that it made the final endgame boss less of an afterthought, but it also wrecked the pacing of Shido's arc. Thankfully the epilogue is stellar and I felt it made up for it.

I agree - this is my first Persona game and everything from Shido's palace on has been a slog. I had played the entire game on normal difficulty, but I have to admit that I dropped the difficulty down to easy and sat back playing defense in the Rangda persona just so that I could survive the long gameplay sequences with sparse save points. I couldn't wait for 12/24 to finally be over.

This was such a negative contrast to the earlier palaces and bosses in which I would go all out and try the different personas that I had fused and acquired along with different combinations of teammates.

Lunar15

I actually liked Mementos Depths and the final boss rush leading up to Yaldabaoth. It's a really fun part. They just needed to conclude Shido's arc a little better, but the story doesn't allow for that.

What's interesting is that the pacing didn't really bother me at all, I'm just upset that it IS a bother to some people because I completely get why it is. I think the problem is that after the big reveal that you fooled Akechi, the game feels like it should be tracking towards a conclusion. But then Shido's dungeon is long and it's actually only a setup for the true ending.

In my opinion, the game only has two lulls: the setup to Palace 5 and the time during Shido's dungeon. Palace 1-4 is incredible and I enjoy all the character building they do during the summer. Then Hawaii just seems kinda frivolous and the drama with Morgana/Haru feels rushed while everything surrounding Okumura just feels off. Then the setup to Palace 6 is absolutely wonderful resulting in arguably one of the best dungeons in the game. Once you pull off your plan against Akechi, you're like "alright, let's do this!" But then you've got a whole month of "let's do this" followed up by "well, we didn't do it, guess we have to go down to mementos". The Igor reveal is pretty great, although the horrible translation at that part kinda dulls the impact. The lead up to yaldabaoth and the summoning of Satanael is completely rad and it finishes pretty strong with the epilogue.

If they could just re-work the end of summer and Shido's arc, this game would be really, really powerful.

Also, Yaldabaoth's theme is really growing on me.

It may seem needless or obsessive, but ever since looking into it and being bothered by it while playing Persona 5, I can't help but look into & analyze text & localizations for the games I play more than I did before.

Watching the first section of FE:SoV feels like a higher quality localization than what we got in P5, for example.

I understand they're different games, but NieR: Automata was the same way - it flowed and felt natural, heck, I even laughed un-ironically at points.

Maybe I have a bias for 8-4? dunno.

Bladenic

I actually liked Mementos Depths and the final boss rush leading up to Yaldabaoth. It's a really fun part. They just needed to conclude Shido's arc a little better, but the story doesn't allow for that.

What's interesting is that the pacing didn't really bother me at all, I'm just upset that it IS a bother to some people because I completely get why it is. I think the problem is that after the big reveal that you fooled Akechi, the game feels like it should be tracking towards a conclusion. But then Shido's dungeon is long and it's actually only a setup for the true ending.

In my opinion, the game only has two lulls: the setup to Palace 5 and the time during Shido's dungeon. Palace 1-4 is incredible and I enjoy all the character building they do during the summer. Then Hawaii just seems kinda frivolous and the drama with Morgana/Haru feels rushed while everything surrounding Okumura just feels off. Then the setup to Palace 6 is absolutely wonderful resulting in arguably one of the best dungeons in the game. Once you pull off your plan against Akechi, you're like "alright, let's do this!" But then you've got a whole month of "let's do this" followed up by "well, we didn't do it, guess we have to go down to mementos". The Igor reveal is pretty great, although the horrible translation at that part kinda dulls the impact. The lead up to yaldabaoth and the summoning of Satanael is completely rad and it finishes pretty strong with the epilogue.

If they could just re-work the end of summer and Shido's arc, this game would be really, really powerful.

Also, Yaldabaoth's theme is really growing on me.

Fighting the angels was awesome and epic despite kind of out of place. I laughed thinking about the fact that SMT4 locked the angels behind DLC while Persona 5 had them kind of out of nowhere haha

PixelatedBookake

If the Thieves meet Haru in Hawaii and do some fun adventure their to introduce her character, that might make the trip not seem pointless. They even see a Okumura Foods franchise there and Haru is even on the class trip with them and yet...nothing.

If the Thieves meet Haru in Hawaii and do some fun adventure their to introduce her character, that might make the trip not seem pointless. They even see a Okumura Foods franchise there and Haru is even on the class trip with them and yet...nothing.

... That would really help introduce her actually - I'd love this.

PK Gaming

It may seem needless or obsessive, but ever since looking into it and being bothered by it while playing Persona 5, I can't help but look into & analyze text & localizations for the games I play more than I did before.

Watching the first section of FE:SoV feels like a higher quality localization than what we got in P5, for example.

I understand they're different games, but NieR: Automata was the same way - it flowed and felt natural, heck, I even laughed un-ironically at points.

Maybe I have a bias for 8-4? dunno.

No, I agree with you. A mediocre localization like Persona 5's is noticeable, but an exceptional one is also noticeable. I went back and played Trails in the Sky: Second Chapter, and that game's localization sings. The dialogue is so natural you'd think it was originally written in english. Imagine Persona 5 with a localization of that caliber. Imagine that Akechi/Shido scene but rewritten to not be be completely terrible.

Like double Chie is a bad thing, pffffffft

(but seriously, the episode this screencap comes from is totes adorbs)

Is it the episode where Nanako pretends to be a detective? Because that one kicked ass.

Renekton

Maybe better just hang out without any PT business, since creating content for Hawaii heist cycles would be too much.

.JayZii

Banned
I really like Makoto, but I kind of wish her phantom thief costume had an actual leather jacket with the spiked shoulders, or something. I like her look, but having almost all of the female party members' thief costumes being skin-tight catsuits is a bit much.

I really like Makoto, but I kind of wish her phantom thief costume had an actual leather jacket with the spiked shoulders, or something. I like her look, but having almost all of the female party members' thief costumes being skin-tight catsuits is a bit much.

I feel like everyone should've gotten a skin tight catsuit. Even the boys.

Especially the boys.

This is partially why I love Haru's so much - it's stylish, while not being completely overdone or fanservicey.

I get where you're coming from, but I think the idea was for Makoto to be a cross between a sentai and a biker for the "rider" pun
that they completely squandered by giving her the worst codename seriously P-Team fuck you
. The bodysuit and cape are references to the sentai half.

Lunar15

I'll never get why they call her Queen. Doesn't line up with her at all.

Meanwhile, Hifumi over here saying she sees herself as a queen while playing shogi...

.JayZii

Banned
I get where you're coming from, but I think the idea was for Makoto to be a cross between a sentai and a biker for the "rider" pun
that they completely squandered by giving her the worst codename seriously P-Team fuck you
. The bodysuit and cape are references to the sentai half.
I get that, I just think they could've done more to give her a more distinct look given her inspirations. If not a leather jacket, maybe a cool custom helmet rather than her simple thief mask?

I think her costume is just a little too vague/generic overall and could use another design element to make her more distinct.

Top Bottom