• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Persona 5 Spoiler Thread | Steal your heart; steel yourself

I'll never get why they call her Queen. Doesn't line up with her at all.

Meanwhile, Hifumi over here saying she sees herself as a queen while playing shogi...

I figured she was following the playing card motif that Joker has. It's actually kind of cute if she wanted to match.

I get that, I just think they could've done more to give her a more distinct look given her inspirations. If not a leather jacket, maybe a cool custom helmet rather than her simple thief mask?

I think her costume is just a little too vague/generic overall and could use another design element to make her more distinct.
I can agree with that. You'd think a queen would have a little more presence, too.

Yeah anime cutscenes looks bad and weird sometimes,

I dont understand why Makoto armor is blue in the anime

Part of her armor is blue in the all-out cut-in and victory screen. I think her outfit looks best here, though we obviously can't see very much of it:

CTg3Ptr.png

Haru pretty much has the best Phantom Thief costume.
Haru has the best of the girls for sure. I like most of the boys, but especially Joker and Goro (Goro because he looks like a dork.)
It may seem needless or obsessive, but ever since looking into it and being bothered by it while playing Persona 5, I can't help but look into & analyze text & localizations for the games I play more than I did before.

Watching the first section of FE:SoV feels like a higher quality localization than what we got in P5, for example.

I understand they're different games, but NieR: Automata was the same way - it flowed and felt natural, heck, I even laughed un-ironically at points.

Maybe I have a bias for 8-4? dunno.
As far as I'm concerned, you're preaching to the choir. I don't even think you have to look outside Atlus for good scripts; some other Atlus games have great dialogue. Though The Legend of Heroes is notable to me because it makes a (relatively) by-the-numbers story and elevates it so much.

.JayZii

Banned
I can agree with that. You'd think a queen would have a little more presence, too.

Part of her armor is blue in the all-out cut-in and victory screen. I think her outfit looks best here, though we obviously can't see very much of it:

CTg3Ptr.png
That's definitely Makoto's design at its best in my mind. Dem eyes doe.

Renekton

I'll never get why they call her Queen. Doesn't line up with her at all.

Meanwhile, Hifumi over here saying she sees herself as a queen while playing shogi...
This lines up with the theory that MakoTogo were originally one person.

Maybe there is secret content to merge them like the Strength twins.

PK Gaming

Joker and Akechi have my favorite costumes, though I love pretty much all of the Phantom Thief costumes. Even Ann's. I know I shouldn't, but it's so... red and the tail works.

The butt zipper was unnecessary

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Joker and Akechi have my favorite costumes, though I love pretty much all of the Phantom Thief costumes. Even Ann's. I know I shouldn't, but it's so... red and the tail works.

Oh man.

Never noticed that.

I mean you gotta imagine that it's hard to take off in case of an emergency.

.JayZii

Banned
Oh man.

Never noticed that.

I mean you gotta imagine that it's hard to take off in case of an emergency.
At least it's one garment. Makot's outfit seems to be three layers of skin tight leather.

Thankfully Phantom Thieves aren't bogged down with things like practicality.

How else is she supposed to go to the bathroom in the middle of Mementos?

Meciu

Finally finished after 103 hours of playing. Maxed out all of the stats and every Confidant except Futaba (level 4). There's still time till STORMBLOOD so maybe I'll push for platinum and romantic route for every girl as I only choose Makoto as a girlfriend during this playthrough. Great game nevertheless.

Figure I would ask here instead of the OT due to spoilers. At the Holy Grail boss and I'm getting my ass kicked. I don't have any SP items to replenish my SP during battle so as a result I can't really beat the second form. Am I fucked? Is there a way to buy new equipment and/or items?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Figure I would ask here instead of the OT due to spoilers. At the Holy Grail boss and I'm getting my ass kicked. I don't have any SP items to replenish my SP during battle so as a result I can't really beat the second form. Am I fucked? Is there a way to buy new equipment and/or items?

Its not possible to be "fucked" in p5. For the last area you can grind levels and/or fuse personas. The warden at the start will replenish your hp and mp and you can save there at your leisure.

Just finished the game. The last portion of the game definitely felt kinda rushed. After stealing Nae's heart, that's where I saw a story/writing quality drop off.

But overall, I found the game to be one of the best I have ever played. Need to let the game sit a bit more to decide if I like it more than 2, 3, or 4. Something did feel off with the game. I didn't have that excitement and overwhelming emotions when playing it like with 3 & 4. Anyone else feel this way too?

Anyways, I really liked the concept of how Mementos was the final dungeon and the Holy Grail/society as a whole was the last heart the Phantom Thieves had to change. But it came out of nowhere and it didn't have a good lead up to it which is why I feel kinda meh towards it.

Also, was it on purpose some Persona 5 characters took design inspirations from previous games?
Off the top of my head, Jun Kurosu -> Yusuke and Adachi -> Akechi (hell, those two are almost identical).

I really hope we get another Persona soon. It was too long of a wait between games.

Antiwhippy

Anyways, I really liked the concept of how Mementos was the final dungeon and the Holy Grail/society as a whole was the last heart the Phantom Thieves had to change. But it came out of nowhere and it didn't have a good lead up to it which is why I feel kinda meh towards it.

Eh really? I saw it coming at around the 5th palace.

Also every persona game since 3 is you going up against the manifestation of the public's will.

Eh really? I saw it coming at around the 5th palace.

Also every persona game since 3 is you going up against the manifestation of the public's will.
I knew Mementos was going to be the last dungeon as soon it was introduced. It seemed way too important to be just a Tartarus side quest generator. I guess I didn't think about it hard enough to understand the true meaning of Mementos.

For some reason, I completely forgot about that about in 3 & 4. It's been so long since I have played those games, I forgot that's how those games ended.

Antiwhippy

Yeah, that was one of my complaints about the game lol. I felt this was the last time they can use the same conceit.

Especially seeing that it's pretty similar to 4. 4 at least was different somewhat different from 3's, even though I still think 3 did it best.

sasliquid

And done. After 76 hours.

Great game. Almost certainly my GOTY.

BUT I still prefer P4. Hell I strarted replaying 4 when I started to feel a bit to connect to this one and damn do I love that game.

End of the game definetly felt very combat focused and there were some weird plot decisions but I feel satisfied. Also while the dungeons are a obvious massive improvement I also feel far less inclined to replay them anytime soon.

I am wondering, is there any repercussions for romancing several girls ala the valentines rejection scenes in P4G? I only romanced Makoto and likely only ever will.

Mendrox

Just finished the game. The last portion of the game definitely felt kinda rushed. After stealing Nae's heart, that's where I saw a story/writing quality drop off.

But overall, I found the game to be one of the best I have ever played. Need to let the game sit a bit more to decide if I like it more than 2, 3, or 4. Something did feel off with the game. I didn't have that excitement and overwhelming emotions when playing it like with 3 & 4. Anyone else feel this way too?

Also, was it on purpose some Persona 5 characters took design inspirations from previous games?
Off the top of my head, Jun Kurosu -> Yusuke and Adachi -> Akechi (hell, those two are almost identical).

I really hope we get another Persona soon. It was too long of a wait between games.

There were many many things leading to the whole end and there were also school questions about which implied there being more. :p it's really not out of nowhere

Ambient80

I'd prefer one with the line from when the game doesn't even try to justify it anymore and just says, "Let's not do that."

God that drives me crazy. Like, I wanna make some damn lockpicks, back the hell off!

Oh yeah, and Joker's costume is rad. Easily my favorite.

I am wondering, is there any repercussions for romancing several girls ala the valentines rejection scenes in P4G? I only romanced Makoto and likely only ever will.

Yeah, any girl you're in a relationship with, but don't spend Valentine's with turns up to berate you on Feb 15th.

I've only seen it on Youtube, and Futaba's is particularly crushing.

sasliquid

Yeah, any girl you're in a relationship with, but don't spend Valentine's with turns up to berate you on Feb 15th.

I've only seen it on Youtube, and Futaba's is particularly crushing.

Good. Honestly one of my main gripes about the game is how little people comment on your relationships in the story and vice versa. Like no one ever seems to comment that mc and Makoto are in a relationship.

Also tbf I think romancing Futaba is a bit weird. Tho I didn't get far into her Social link

Setsu00

Why does the opening show 9 sins on futabas screen? Furthermore, why does this game have Vanity but not Sloth?

Sloth is embodied by the people of Tokyo. It's their apathy and wish for security that gave birth to the Holy Grail in the first place.

Just beat the game to completion.

I was so sad when Morgana disappeared, seriously so sad.

And then when he came back it was literally the complete opposite.

After the road trip I'm so happy he'll stay with the MC....wonder if he'll ever become a human.

For my first Persona game I loved every single second of it, truly an incredible game. The last RPG to make me truly feel like this was FFXII, just an absolute blast to play.

Haganeren

all the anime cutscenes in p5 suck ass. if all of them could be replaced with equivalent in-engine scenes it would be a tremendous improvement.

I didn't understood at first, i thought stuff the scene like w
hen everyone disappear
was really cool with a good use of expressions..... In general they were really cool.

.... But then i forgot it was 3D cutscene and not anime one. I actually completly forgot there were anime cutscene in this game ! That's how bad they are...

Just finished P5 a little while ago for the first time. I have a lot of thoughts on the matter but I figure I'll just list some of the things that come to mind. I know it's a spoiler topic but... yeah, spoilers and all that:

1. Thought the whole thing with Akechi was a bit of a miss. His betrayal was way too obvious, although I did love how it turned out that the group was aware of it the entire time and came up with a counter measure that was surprisingly thought out. The final confrontation with Akechi in the 7th Palace felt like it could have been expanded upon waaaay more, however, and Akechi going out the way he did just seemed... lame. I was really hoping there was going to be more to it than just that.

2. Same with Shido, really. Taking him down was pretty satisfying, second only to Kamoshida, IMO, but they could have done a better job at not making it so painfully obvious that he was the guy who screwed the MC over at the beginning of the game.

3. That said, the twist with IGOR really took me by surprise. I had read somewhere that there was an actual story explanation for why his voice was different, so I knew it was going to come up at some point... when Igor first starts talking doom and gloom and Caroline and Justine react in surprise I knew something was wrong. When I finally encountered the Holy Grail and heard it speak, things started clicking but I had trouble comprehending as to why. Really interesting twist to see Igor actually get targeted by the bad guy and was playing me for a fool (pun not intended). Biggest disappointment with real Igor returning is his old VA didn't greet me.

4. Glad that this game didn't try any bullshit with getting the good ending unlike P4. Not gonna lie--I got pretty soured on P4 because of that.

All in all, good game. I'd probably rank it higher than P4, but under P3. Perhaps. I plan to replay P4 sometime in the near future and maybe P3 again later so I can get a second opinion. I do think P5's villains were overall much weaker than the ones in 3 and 4 which is probably the biggest gripe I have with it.

Oh, I also managed to get all but three Confidants maxed, being Ohya (rank 9), Iwai (rank 8), and Shinya (rank 6). I'd say I didn't do too bad for a blind run.

Young Magus

I just realised the the two best links from both p3 and p5 that also tied in well with the themes of both games were the sun links.

......I missed p3s sun link ;_;

Lunar15

Did P4 actually have any link that does?

I can't really think of any now that I think about it.

All of them were about coming to terms with who you were instead of how society dictated you should be. All of them dealt with some kind of lie they were telling themselves and accepting the truth of their situation.

Antiwhippy

I mean more overtly like the sun links.

I guess quite a number did deal with obscuring the truth because people preferred being lied to, but it seemed more general? I dunno how you do a more overt one actually.

You didn't like Trombone Girl of Morally Dubious Stature or Girl With the Hospital Thing I Don't Remember?

Her dad had run off with another woman, and now had a terminal illness. His lover had left him, so his ex-wife was having to nurse him.

The choice at the end definitely wins my "But both of these choices are wrong" award.

I finished the game last night. It's my first Persona game and I was absolutely blown away in almost every way. Some minor gripes aside, this game is a masterpiece to me.

I am starting my NG+ run to try and Plat it. I am shocked and almost embarrassed that it took me this long to discover these games.

The charm and polish of this game just make it such a special experience. My eyes actually watered a little at the end. I cared about all the characters, I was fully invested.

I need to try P4 next.

I don't know how to spoiler tag things on GAF, I'm pretty new, but I'll generalize my one and only gripe with the story. I think one of the twists near the end is pretty predictable. It's hinted at pretty heavily a couple times throughout the story.

The actual end sequence was unexpected and fantastic.

Bravo to the dev team. A truly masterful RPG experience.

Lunar15

Spoilers are free-reign in here. If you want to talk about the fact that Akechi was obviously evil, then feel free to discuss.

I was actually kinda surprised because I didn't know where Atlus was going with it. They put him on the boxart so I kind of expected them to go straightforward and make him seem bad, but then join you. Turns out they made him evil. I actually thought that was a cool twist, if not executed very well.

Anyway, I constantly have thoughts of this alternate universe where this game actually came out in Winter 2014. The game would have an entirely different context because I feel like the 2016 election painted everything with Shido in a completely different light for me. I probably would have found this game's premise of everyone not caring about shido's confession way more ridiculous than timely.

I wasn't even thinking about the rise of nationalistic populism in 2014.

Melkaz

Well..108 hours later and it's over! Got 69% completion so I might come back one day for the plat but for now it's time to play some shorter games haha. This is all I did gaming wise since the game releases. Feels like nice to be done with it but...i'm sure whatever I play next won't be as good.

I just realised it, I went from BoTW > Horizon > P5. That's some impressive streak! Maybe I should stop gaming for now and pick it up again once Mario Odyssey releases haha. (ok I also did play Inside in between BoTW and Horizon ZD but not like that was a bad game!).

In short, I really enjoyed the ride, think I'll still put P4 over it but that might be a bit of nostalgia so let's see how I feel about it in some months from now..
Also, Makoto is best girl and they better move to in-game cut scenes instead of anime for the next game.

Another thing worth noting, I found Akechi's death quite jarring? Everyone was shocked when it happened and then...nobody really mentioned it? Not even the media mentioned it but days before his death he was all over the news. Did I zone out or something or was it really nothing?

Lunar15

Yeah, now that you mention it, it was a bit odd that the news never mentioned his death. It could be that Shido confessed to it as part of one of his many crimes.

The game doesn't really have the time to bring it up though, because after Shido's confession you immediately go into Mementos Depths.

Top Bottom