• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #2) - One Thumb Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I agree it's too safe, but to be fair it was J J Abrams first shot at Star Wars, so he didn't want to be super hated like Lucas was. I think they took a safe route first to kinda test the waters, see what people loved/hated then improve on that in the next movie. That's the hope I'm clinging onto.

JJ isn't making the next one.

Confirmed. They're near identical. And Williams always tells stories through his music.
I'm having a hard time seeing how people aren't connecting these dots, tbh. Its either him or a red herring but its not coincidental.

If Disney wants to end the Skywalker story with Ep9 then it has to end with Plagueis. If they want to milk it, then it won't. That's my theory.

Brakke

Banned
I think it's easy to infer that Ben either killed or turned the other pupils. They're not around, so I'm assuming he killed them. Again, I don't need the movie to tell me that because it's not crucial information. So as I stated, the movie does answer the question of why Luke left. Not sure what else is missing or needed here.

How do you know they're not around? Maybe they (or some of them) are the Knights of Ren?

It's not crucial but it is frustrating. Without knowing anything at all about why Luke left it's hard to care about seeing him again. If he was afraid he was only capable of training Dark Siders then I sympathize with his pain and exile. If he made one mistake and flitted off, abandoning his sister and best friend and his duty to revive the Jedi, then he's a coward and fuck him.

I hope we get to meet these kind souls in the sequel.

lk8Oxaz.jpg

How do you know they're not around? Maybe they (or some of them) are the Knights of Ren?

It's not crucial but it is frustrating. Without knowing anything at all about why Luke left it's hard to care about seeing him again. If he was afraid he was only capable of training Dark Siders then I sympathize with his pain and exile. If he made one mistake and flitted off, abandoning his sister and best friend and his duty to revive the Jedi, then he's a coward and fuck him.

That one mistake happens to be his nephew...

Henkka

Banned
How is the Looper? I'm pretty excited that the person who directed the Ozymandias episode of Breaking Bad is doing VIII, but I haven't seen any of his other work.

Brakke

Banned
The movie implies both likely happen. The scene they show of Kylo in the rain has a lot of bodies around him and the group he's with. So he likely turned others to his side and killed the rest. Which leaves us with the question of where are they now?

Yeah that's my impression. It's funny to characterize a four-second sequence of shots set in ambiguous time / veracity a "scene". The force vision also included a premonition of Kylo in the snow, maybe that Knights of Ren (?) scene is also set in the future?

Loved the movie.

Only weird thing was that it doesn't make any effort to show the strength of the factions. The ironically-named Resistance is in control, yet they don't seem to notice that the First Order has not only taken over an entire planet, but turned it into a superweapon. That'd be like a bunch of neo-Nazis taking over New York and building a bunch of ICBMs without the government noticing that something's up.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
JJ consulted with Rian on Ep8. JJ isn't directly involved but they did spin some yarn together.

The movie is out, sure they might adapt things here and there no doubt, but VIII's production has started.

sn00zer

JJ isn't making the next one.
This scares the crap outta me

Also Rian Johnson is one of my favorite directors (Brick was my favorite movie for a looong time) but Im kinda worried as he does really small films and small stories, dunno how that will translate in Ep8.

Loved the movie.

Only weird thing was that it doesn't make any effort to show the strength of the factions. The ironically-named Resistance is in control, yet they don't seem to notice that the First Order has not only taken over an entire planet, but turned it into a superweapon. That'd be like a bunch of neo-Nazis taking over New York and building a bunch of ICBMs without the government noticing that something's up.

Yeah this was my major complaint

Brakke

Banned
How is the Looper? I'm pretty excited that the person who directed the Ozymandias episode of Breaking Bad is doing VIII, but I haven't seen any of his other work.

I go back and forth on whether it's good but it's definitely worth a watch. That movie has a lot of good ideas and executes good style.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

Also Rian Johnson is one of my favorite directors (Brick was my favorite movie for a looong time) but Im kinda worried as he does really small films and small stories, dunno how that will translate in Ep8.

Yeah this was my major complaint

If he has a good script it should be fine, he's well backed up by the studio and the production crew, so I think the only big risk would be the script.

Which is why I used past-tense, the same way JJ said it in an interview.

Not my words, his.

My point was they would probably not rely on VII's reception to figure anything out.

The movie? It's not the greatest. Their whole explanation of time makes no sense at all, it doesn't work very well. It's okay to pass the time or if you're bored, but I wouldn't say it's something you should watch when there's other great films out there.

Boke1879

Loved the movie.

The resistance isn't being aided by the New Republic. Leia organized the resistance to fight The New Order on her own accord. The only mystery to me seems to be how big the FO truly is, but they seemed to have wiped out a good portion of New Republic planets with the weapon.

shoreu

Interesting that Hux survives his deathstar being destroyed while his counter point Tarkin went down with his. Even as Kylo was able to kill his father and succeed where Vader, his counter part, couldn't.

Either Snoke really did learn from the fall of the Galactic Empire and hand picked his cultists more wisely, or JJ wants these guys to stick around for awhile so he can keep a throwback thread alive

Vader is on a whole other level than that pitiful duelest kylo.

sn00zer

Awesome. Brick is also really good and Id almost advise watching it over looper. Cool character dramas with really strange set ups and universes.

jstripes

Banned
I really liked the movie, but the constant nostalgia pandering really bothered me. A lot of the movie felt like a rethreading of Episode IV, down to the new "Death Star". While I truly enjoyed the trip, it felt like it somehow lacked an identity of its own.

It starts with the desert planet, and the droid entrusted with some schematics (A map, in this case) who meets with the desert kid, who in turn starts a journey.

Oh! And here's Han Solo! But old! And Leia! But old! Hey! Is that the ball drone that Obi-Wan used to train Luke on board the Millenium Falcon?

I won't lie, I was on the edge of my seat the whole time, and I had goosebumps all over my skin. But after the hype died out a little I felt like the movie, aside from killin Han, played everything too safe. Like it was too much pandering.
I've got a feeling they got the majority of the throwbacks out of the way in the first movie so it could function as a link to the next two movies standing largely on their own.

I also resented the fact that we don't get explanations for a lot of things, and the universe/galaxy seems kind of unimportant now. Sure, it's great that they are focusing on the characters, but I would also like for them to expand on this new Republic. We are told they exist, and they get blasted to pieces.
Most of us take for granted the fact that we never saw the OT in their original theatrical run, so we didn't have to wait for answers.

There was plenty left unsaid in those too. Especially in the first, with references to Luke's father and the Clone Wars.

Star Wars is at its best when things are left unsaid. It lets your imagination fill in the blanks.

The lightsaber fights were AWESOME, however. Not as slow as in the OT, not as fancy as in the PT, but a nice middle ground. I loved the anger and fury on each slash and clash.
I was sooo happy that they got rid of the flashy kung-fu style swordfights. The fights had weight and tension.

In the vision it looks like Kylo does get to her, unless she's seeing what her mother saw.
The thing that makes establishing what her connection to Luke is so difficult is that Kylo never appears to have any clue who she is.

This is obviously going to be revealed in the next movie, so we'll have to wait until then.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The thing that makes establishing what her connection to Luke is so difficult is that Kylo never appears to have any clue who she is.

This is obviously going to be revealed in the next movie, so we'll have to wait until then.

That's why it could be Rey seeing what her mother saw.

I'm still confused about whether or not the guy who gets killed was going to club the viewer, or is waiving for her/him to run :/

so uh to clarify since there's 50 pages and I don't wanna read through them, who else really enjoyed it but felt they copied a bit much from the original films with the basic premise?

sphagnum

Banned
Maybe in terms of combat. However, Darth Vader never was able to extract information and memories from peoples minds. Otherwise he would have done that to Leia.

I'm sure he could have, but Leia was subconsciously strong-willed with the Force and was specifically trained to be able to resist mind probes (see: The Princess, The Scoundrel, and the Farm Boy). Poe is not Force-sensitive, and Rey wasn't trained in anti-interrogation techniques (unless she was and doesn't remember, but even then she would've been like...5).

Not me, I'm glad. Abrams can make a good popcorn movie, but he has no sense of pacing and doesn't know how to let a scene breathe (both things Lucas was actually quite good at). I'm hoping we'll get an ESB type of film in Ep. 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom