• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #2) - One Thumb Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Loved the movie.

Only weird thing was that it doesn't make any effort to show the strength of the factions. The ironically-named Resistance is in control, yet they don't seem to notice that the First Order has not only taken over an entire planet, but turned it into a superweapon. That'd be like a bunch of neo-Nazis taking over New York and building a bunch of ICBMs without the government noticing that something's up.
More like Neo Nazis taking over some random island in the Arctic circle or the Pacific

giga

From the book. JJ left out the most important line.

Jjc7EDV.jpg

diE6bMT.jpg

shoreu

Maybe in terms of combat. However, Darth Vader never was able to extract information and memories from peoples minds. Otherwise he would have done that to Leia.

True Ren does have powers similar to that of Vos. Even still his brute force abilities are still not even Close.

sphagnum

Banned
That's why it could be Rey seeing what her mother saw.

I'm still confused about whether or not the guy who gets killed was going to club the viewer, or is waiving for her/him to run :/

Well, like I posted earlier, here were the earlier versions of the vision before it got changed around:

MakingStarWars said:
◾Interior Day Roses’s Pub – There is a secret underground chamber and Rose begins her tale to Han, Rey, and Finn. They hold hands.
◾Flashback: Interior Night at Academy – Dead bodies are on the ground. Luke turns up.
◾Flashback: Exterior Dusk at the Afkcademy – It is noted it is peaceful now. Artoo-Detoo is saddened as his master departs.
◾Flashback: Exterior Day at the Savannah – A hand that takes the sword at the start of the film is revealed to be Naka’s hand.
◾Flashback: Exterior on the Savannah – A peasant’s hovel where the peasant drops the sword, starts a fire, panics and then returns.
◾Flashback: Exterior Desert – Local trader is seen leaving. (I believe it then cuts to Finn and Rey’s faces as the story unfolds).
◾Flashback: Exterior Day Desert – Local trader makes a sale to a wealthy man.
◾Flashback: Exterior Night Battlefield – Fierce battle! Sword is being use by the CLAN against THE SEVEN.
◾Flashback: Exterior Night: the last man is down and Kylo Renn approaches Rey!
◾Flashback: THE SEVEN are looting and we see Rose in the foreground taking “the object.”
◾Interior Day Roses’s Pub: In the underground chamber, Rose presents the saber and Rey is revolted by it while Finn is attracted to it.
◾Interior Day Roses’s Pub: Rey moves past aliens in an uproar as she leaves the establishment.
◾Interior Day Roses’s Pub: Courtyard: Rey runs away from the castle.
◾Exterior Day: Woods near Roses’s pub Rey runs into the woods.
◾Interior Day Roses’s Pub: Rose now knows why the saber “came to her.”
◾Exterior Day: Woods near Roses’s pub BB-8 finds Rey but suddenly the villains are overhead.
◾Interior Day Roses’s Pub: In the corridors undernearth the pub they notice Rey and BB-8 are missing as massive shaking begins.
◾Exterior Roses’ Pub Plate Shot: From Rey’s point of view we see the destruction of the Castle.
◾Exterior Day Rose’s Pub – From Rey’s Point of view we see Rose’s pub is chaotic.
◾Exterior Day Woods Near Rose’s Pub – From Rey’s perspective we see Rose’s Pub ruined. Kylo Ren arrives with Stormtroopers in tow.
◾Note: This pertains: “Interior Day: Roses’ Pub hallways beneath the pub, Rose “users her special skills” to defeat Stormtroopers.

MillenniumFalcon said:
EXT DAY - 190 - LANDING PAD JOURNEY • Plates as required for Maz Kanata journey to Maz Kanta's Castle

EXT DAY - 192 - SAVANNAH • Reprise Hand takes sword, we reveal Naka

EXT NIGHT - 193 - SAVANNAH - PEASANT'S HOVEL • Peasant is using the sword as a firestarter

EXT DAY - 194 - SAVANNAH - PEASANT'S HOVEL • Local trader buys sword off of Naka

EXT NIGHT - 195 - SAVANNAH • Local trader already has sold the sword on

EXT NIGHT - 196 - BATTLEFIELD • A battle rages. The sword is being used.

EXT DAY - 198 - ACADEMY • Leia and Han Solo hand over Young Kylo Ren to his Uncle for training

EXT DAWN - 200 - ACADEMY • Young Kylo Ren being trained by his Uncle

INT NIGHT - 202 - ACADEMY • Bodies left behind - Young Kylo Ren is gone

EXT DAY - 203 - JAGGED TERRAIN/PALACE • Kylo Ren joins The Knights Of Ren

EXT DUSK - 204 - ACADEMY • R2-D2 upset as his master leaves

EXT NIGHT - 205 - JAGGED TERRAIN/PALACE • Kylo Ren joins The Knights Of Ren

EXT DAY - 207 - CASTLE • Reveal Maz Kanata's spectacular Castle

INT DAY - 208 - CASTLE • Maz Kanata walks the group through the Castle interiour

EXT NIGHT - 209 - CASTLE • Kylo Ren and his Knights at campfire. Maz Kanata steals sword

INT DAY - 210 - CASTLE STAIRCASE • Walking down stairs, Maz Kanata reveals she stole it.

EXT NIGHT - 211 - MOUNTAIN SIDE • Reveal Maz Kanata on Speeder, she has the sword

INT DAY - 212 - CASTLE - UNDERGROUND CHAMBER • Finn is drawn toward the object, Rey repelled by it. She bolts

INT DAY - 213 - CASTLE - STAIRCASE • Rey climbs the stairs in need of escape

EXT DAY - 214 - CASTLE • Rey exits castle, head for the woods

INT DAY - 215 - CASTLE - UNDERGROUND CHAMBER • Maz Kanata explains her journey through many lives

EXT DAY - 216 - WOODS - NEAR THE CASTLE • BB-8 finds Rey in the woods. Suddenly bad guys overhead

I've been assuming that guy was supposed to be the "clan leader".

greepoman

Kylo should have left his mask on. After he did that I couldn't take him seriously, lol.

Maybe the whole reason he wears a mask is cause he's an ugly mofo that got made fun of a lot. Not sexy, but a valid reason why people turn into psycho killers in the real world.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
phasma is the jihl nabaat of TFA

also, the one thing that really bugged me in the movie was the fact that not only was a normal able to fight a force user with a lightsaber, but actually land a hit. like, that fight should have been over before it started. ren could have yanked the saber right out of fin's hands before he even turned it on, or strangled him, or just blew him away. i mean, the stormtrooper fighting him with an energy-tonfa made more sense, but since he's not a jedi...why not just shoot him? egh

good movie though

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Okay after mulling it over for like 4 days I've decided that I actually loved the movie and I can boil down my complaints to a really clean list.

i dont think the flashback sequence where she goes downstairs was needed, I think it would have been fine if the flashback was triggered during the interrogation scene.

I don't think we needed finn to want to run as much as he did that little character arc dragged on a bit too long,

I dont think the starkiller base needed to primarily be an "oh shit if we don't blow it up we're gonna get blown up!". I think it would have been better if the tension had been primarily from the rescue mission and being sneaky.

I dont think we needed the han solo vs 2 smuggler gangs scene with the beasts escaping, It felt fluffy and an unecessary way to reestablish han solos character but we do that anyways in maz's palace.

Finally I would have liked for luke to say something at the end.

Everything else was damn excellent, everything leading up to the Jakku escape being the absolute highlight of the movie.

Petty much everyone agrees that it took a very safe route and followed the OT.

All right cool I did see some of that discussion I just know that I left the film with buddies and joked with one that "did you enjoy episode 7? Where the nobody in the sand planet gets jettisoned into an intergalactic plot due to plot droid, she meets friends, finds a mentor/father figure who ends up related to the bad guy, the mentor dies, and then they destroy the NOT Death Star."

Seriously what's the next death star going to be.

He read Luke's mind in RotJ.

They just didn't make up Force mind reading yet

I'm sure he could have, but Leia was subconsciously strong-willed with the Force and was specifically trained to be able to resist mind probes (see: The Princess, The Scoundrel, and the Farm Boy). Poe is not Force-sensitive, and Rey wasn't trained in anti-interrogation techniques (unless she was and doesn't remember, but even then she would've been like...5).

That's true. I just figured with Luke it was due to their connection as Farther & Son. Leia being able to resist makes sense too.

Kylo still has a lot of training to do according to Smeagol so we'll see if he does get better.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
From the book. JJ left out the most important line.

Jjc7EDV.jpg

diE6bMT.jpg

Yep, makes me think Ren knew Luke or another Jedi had a daughter who they never found.

So could be that the vision is:

Rey's mother gets killed.

Kylo never finds her daughter, gives up on her.

Luke drops off Rey on Jakku.

In his fight against Rey, he realizes it's her.

You quoted me in multiple posts. Check who you are quoting next time, I guess?

Forget it! I told someone why they would probably not let VII's reception influence their plans for VIII. You read better next.

Supper disappointed. It's basically a copy past job of the first film. And when they started trench run 2.0 it totally jumped the shark for me.
It's annoying because I thought most of the original stuff was quite good.

sphagnum

Banned
Where were the Y-Wings when they had to do a bombing run on the oscillator?

JJ cut out any other type of fighter except X-Wings and TIEs because he thought the audience would get confused, somehow, despite the rest of the franchise always having multiple types of ships involved in battles.

I also liked how Finn was not Han Solo who kept trying to leave but then comes back for his friends. And Rey what the fuck. Can someone here who is super into Star Wars explain to me what happened there? All of a sudden she knows shit like jedi mind tricks and how to do them even though in shows that are canon in Star Wars a padawan tries to do the same and gets told that it requires training?

And she can resist interrogation with no training to control emotions/your mind? Was she just like that because protagonist?

Saw it. I liked it. Jedi has stronger highs, but it might be 3rd best for me atm. While I enjoyed it, it's not near the original 2.

Some thoughts: liked FInn, Rey and Kylo (Rey was op as fuck). The red head General dude was a cartoon, but I didn't mind him. Also, the pacing was a bit off at times.

It is indeed sort of a greatest hits compilation. It suceeds at it. 7/10

And I don't think it might have the general appeal something like Avatar had.

MisterHero

I also liked how Finn was not Han Solo who kept trying to leave but then comes back for his friends. And Rey what the fuck. Can someone here who is super into Star Wars explain to me what happened there? All of a sudden she knows shit like jedi mind tricks and how to do them even though in shows that are canon in Star Wars a padawan tries to do the same and gets told that it requires training?

And she can resist interrogation with no training to control emotions/your mind? Was she just like that because protagonist?
Rey is a super-powerful pure blood witch. She learned Occlumency and the Cruciatus curse in 5 minutes each

Then the script reveals via Rey that even she doesn't know what's going on, and handwaves it by giving the dialogue a humorous tone

Forget it! I told someone why they would probably not let VII's reception influence their plans for VIII. You read better next.
LOLOLOL dude - you said JJ wasn't writing the next one and all I said was that JJ and Rian both spitballed Ep8. I never agreed with the other guy - just pointed out that JJ and Rian both tossed ideas or for Ep8.

Literally that's it.

I don't need to read better, you need to understand I made an addition to your post, completely unrelated to any influence of Ep8 by Ep7s reception in the effect of: JJ and Rian both spun yarn on Ep8. Lmfao!

Okay after mulling it over for like 4 days I've decided that I actually loved the movie and I can boil down my complaints to a really clean list.

i dont think the flashback sequence where she goes downstairs was needed, I think it would have been fine if the flashback was triggered during the interrogation scene.

I don't think we needed finn to want to run as much as he did that little character arc dragged on a bit too long,

I dont think the starkiller base needed to primarily be an "oh shit if we don't blow it up we're gonna get blown up!". I think it would have been better if the tension had been primarily from the rescue mission and being sneaky.

I dont think we needed the han solo vs 2 smuggler gangs scene with the beasts escaping, It felt fluffy and an unecessary way to reestablish han solos character but we do that anyways in maz's palace.

Finally I would have liked for luke to say something at the end.

Everything else was damn excellent, everything leading up to the Jakku escape being the absolute highlight of the movie.

Haven't you just described 90% of the plot?

I really really enjoyed the movie, and I think I like it better than Return of the Jedi at the moment simply because Jedi was so uneven.

But man, I rewatched Empire Strikes Back on Friday night, and what a great movie that was. The drama, the emotion, the stakes. It's a perfect movie.

shoreu

Like, even then I'm pretty sure we'd notice if an island in US waters was crawling with dudes dressed like Wermacht and had a bunch of unauthorized nukes set up.

The fact that the republic didn't notice stars going missing or a planet sized weapon pissed me off. Why didn't they go to total war because of this.

Why did 20 x-wings take it down that is complete and total bullshit.

Which is actually a much cooler set up. Heroes and villains are on a similar level playing field and starting to grow at the same rate is actually really cool.

Oh yeah totally I don't mind that part at all but I don't like that a trained knight got wounded by a non force sensitive person, and a newly blossomed one it makes no sense. The lack of Lethality in their fight was annoying.

ironmang

I agree it's too safe, but to be fair it was J J Abrams first shot at Star Wars, so he didn't want to be super hated like Lucas was. I think they took a safe route first to kinda test the waters, see what people loved/hated then improve on that in the next movie. That's the hope I'm clinging onto.

The movies are always going to make crazy money so they don't need to take it safe at all. Having potential negative fan reaction change how they would make the movie is such a coward move.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Just saw it a second time (out of five).

Simply fucking amazing. Noticed lots of shit that I was too emotional to notice on my first time.

saw it for the 3rd time tonight

didn't notice it before, kylo leaves his mask on the bridge

so i hope he's gonna be a scarred mfucker now, i don't want another mask

Estocolmo

Was chatting with my friend who also saw this movie and we came with a couple of interesting theories.

- What if Rey is the Chosen One? The one that Anakin was supposed to be, which could explain Rey's ability to do Jedi stuff without training.

- Snoke is actually the same size as Yoda, and thats why they made Snoke CGI because he is actually the same size as Yoda. Everybody thinks he is a giant but the hologram might just be scaled a couple of levels.

- Kylo Ren isn't the son of Leia and Han. He is adopted, which explains why he doesn't look his biological parents (black hair, different face features). And may explain why he went bonkers in the Jedi academy with Luke.

sn00zer

Uggh, I'm not buying it.

Both Kylo and Voldemort are lame villains. Their motivations are flimsy. He wants to "live up to his lineage"? Please...

Kylo should have left his mask on. After he did that I couldn't take him seriously, lol.

Really? I thought it was scarier that he just a guy. Not some sort of deformed scary looking creature as siths tend to be. Its easier to think that "oh some scarred up freak or red eyed monster guy is a bad guy", but him just being a normal looking person hits that nerve of the darkside can get to anyone.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Haven't you just described 90% of the plot?

Maybe but I feel like i only had an issue with like 15% of it really.

Jakku and Maz's palace were great, which is about half the movie. Same with the resistance base scenes, I didn't say I disliked star killer base either I just said that I would have rather it have been handled slightly different.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
saw it for the 3rd time tonight

didn't notice it before, kylo leaves his mask on the bridge

so i hope he's gonna be a scarred mfucker now, i don't want another mask

I expect that to some extent, he would become his own thing now having "surpassed" Vader, and also because you don't have a lead actor wear a mask all the time. Plus he's scarred now, etc. Although for plastic crap selling reasons, he'll probably wear an helmet in some occasion.

JJ cut out any other type of fighter except X-Wings and TIEs because he thought the audience would get confused, somehow, despite the rest of the franchise always having multiple types of ships involved in battles.

Finn accidentally starting up Dejarik for 5 seconds. Not confusing.
Spaceships used for bomb running. Confusing.

JJ pls.

jstripes

Banned
Which is actually a much cooler set up. Heroes and villains are on a similar level playing field and starting to grow at the same rate is actually really cool.

This, and we didn't need another Vader. It's a different situation.

Vader was confident as fuck, and had an all-powerful Galactic Empire around him. They fit each other.

Kylo is mentally unstable, and he's part of the cast-off remains of the Empire trying to fight back from the edges of the galaxy. They fit each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom