• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*SPOILERS* The Walking Dead TV show, leaks, and comic book SPOILER discussion thread

Jeananne Goossen only lasted one ep.

I think the "vampire bat' is thirsty and needs more than one victim to really shock the audience. For me it's not about race it's about who dies. I think everyone would be more upset about Maggie getting to meet lucille and we kind of got a taste when Chelle took a stab at Maggie's stomach last week

Maggie would be too much. The internet would be in an uproar if a pregnant woman is beaten savagely to death.

That reads to me like a writer making his case for why they should do it, knowing how Negan operates.

I'd say Negan wouldn't do that but from what I remember he has strict limits about specific things (rape) but is not adverse to brutally killing anyone who crosses him (Michonne was an option in issue 100, and then the woman who he zombified later on).

Surfinn

Daryl is definitely a candidate but the actors and crew say stuff like this all the time and try to leave it open, keep people guessing.

If there's any reason I think it'll be Daryl is because he's going to have a lot of screen-time in these next three episodes.

I think that's gunna be the case. They tend to telegraph deaths before they happen, and I expect to see much more of Daryl before it's over.

God I hope they don't do it, that would be absolutely heart wrenching to watch. Love that man.

Main reason I don't see it being Daryl is because I think the show already built the foundation of a conflict between Daryl and Dwight, when he took the crossbow

"We're sorry."
"You're gonna be."

That wasn't in the comics, and I think the show would want that story to pay off.

Surfinn

Main reason I don't see it being Daryl is because I think the show already built the foundation of a conflict between Daryl and Dwight, when he took the crossbow

"We're sorry."
"You're gonna be."

That wasn't in the comics, and I think the show would want that story to pay off.

I forgot about that, good point. However, there's still enough time for this to be addressed before the final episode. They could also have Rick/the entire group "make them sorry" in memory of Daryl (once they see he's wielding the crossbow).

No way its Maggie or Darryl imo.

Glenn looking at his fate (Lucille pics) a couple of episodes ago sealed it for me. Its obvious at this point.

Glenn looking at his fate (Lucille pics) a couple of episodes ago sealed it for me. Its obvious at this point.
The people who I talk to, who don't read the comics, think Glenn is totally safe. "They already tricked us once, and then we thought they were really going to kill him again," in sum and substance.

So the reactions will be even more incredible

Effect

The people who I talk to, who don't read the comics, think Glenn is totally safe. "They already tricked us once, and then we thought they were really going to kill him again," in sum and substance.

I am curious if that could backfire on the show though. Killing a loved character to invoke a reaction is one thing. Leading up to that death is one thing. Actively toying with viewers and putting them through that much grief, considering how invested a lot of people are in these characters, might be to far for some. It could just straight up piss people off and be a step to far. We talk about how killing Daryl could be a blow to the shows ratings. I do wonder if toying with viewers like this could have the same effect when it comes to certain characters.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Maggie seems safe, just because they're planting the seeds for her to be leader of The Hilltop. I wouldn't put it past them to have it be Glen and also have Negan take the bat to Maggie's stomach, as an extra bit of cruelty.

Whatever happens, I'm preparing myself for Red Wedding 2.0 levels of Internet reactions. Facebook posts, Twitter, reaction videos, the whole 9 yards.

Surfinn

Yeah, like the show isn't afraid to throw in some misdirection with Glenn. :p

At this point, killing Glenn in this way (same as comic) just seems silly, considering everything they put viewers through with his fake death/strung everyone along for so long. People would really hate it, and with good reason.

Maggie seems safe, just because they're planting the seeds for her to be leader of The Hilltop. I wouldn't put it past them to have it be Glen and also have Negan take the bat to Maggie's stomach, as an extra bit of cruelty.

Whatever happens, I'm preparing myself for Red Wedding 2.0 levels of Internet reactions. Facebook posts, Twitter, reaction videos, the whole 9 yards.

Negan doesn't hurt Women or Children though if I remember correctly.

At this point, killing Glenn in this way (same as comic) just seems silly, considering everything they put viewers through with his fake death/strung everyone along for so long. People would really hate it, and with good reason.

True, but the show also does alot of foreshadowing.

IMO, that makes it work even more. Glenn has escaped death so many times, not just in this season but the entire series. He's the survivor. He saved Rick in the second episode. He was the scout who'd go into dangerous places and emerge unscathed. He survived the Governor and disease and Terminus.

In that last second before his fate is sealed, people are probably going to be waiting for the last-second save. On the road to Terminus, it was Maggie and the others showing up. In Terminus, it was Carol's assault. In this season, it was Nicholas' body and later, Abe and co saving him

But that moment won't come

And the reactions will be amazing

Effect

I do think Carol is a big enough death to cause the Internet to explode and be surprising enough given people think she's invincible. You wouldn't be going back to the Glenn and killing off the show's only Asian character. Where is she going plot wise? Everyone else major seems to have significant things they're going through or being setup to go through but her. Granted I haven't seen all of the latest episode due to things getting in the way but I doubt something was shown there.

UberTag

It probably won't help matters that they seem to be planning for a "does Daryl get shot" fakeout for the end of Episode 15. So they'll have officially faked out both leading contenders for Lucille before finale night.

I still would love them to switch it up and have it be Maggie suddenly for a fresh shock for comic readers.

Now that would be amusing to me.

I still would love them to switch it up and have it be Maggie suddenly for a fresh shock for comic readers.

Now that would be amusing to me.

It would be amusing to see honestly if they switch it up, I still think it'll be Glenn. I do think that Negan should take Carl and Judith.

"We're sorry."
"You're gonna be."

We all expected an interesting arc between T-Dog and Merle, and ultimately he just died saving Carol and nothing got resolved or addressed with that.

Surfinn

True, but the show also does alot of foreshadowing.

Right, but keep in mind the episode where Glenn "died" had a a shit ton of "foreshadowing" of his demise and ultimately nothing happened (in the end).

IMO, that makes it work even more. Glenn has escaped death so many times, not just in this season but the entire series. He's the survivor. He saved Rick in the second episode. He was the scout who'd go into dangerous places and emerge unscathed. He survived the Governor and disease and Terminus.

In that last second before his fate is sealed, people are probably going to be waiting for the last-second save. On the road to Terminus, it was Maggie and the others showing up. In Terminus, it was Carol's assault. In this season, it was Nicholas' body and later, Abe and co saving him

But that moment won't come

And the reactions will be amazing

Meh, gunna have to disagree with you here again. People will be surprised but in the worst way possible. What they did with Glenn was incredibly cheap, and I would have agreed with you if it wasn't for the massive cop out that felt like a pot shot to the nuts.

People are going to hate being jerked around so much, considering the dishonesty of how "Thank You" was filmed in regard to Glenn and Nick (I loved the episode as a whole, though). If it weren't for the shitty shock stunt that made no real sense and was done primarily to fuck with people (in the cheapest way possible), I'd say hell yeah, go for it, it makes sense.

Given what will have led up to the finale, this is not the way to go.

Daryl feels right, as much as I love him and would hate to see him get it. His development has been stagnant for a LONG time now.

Right, but keep in mind the episode where Glenn "died" had a a shit ton of "foreshadowing" of his demise and ultimately nothing happened (in the end).

Yes, and I would agreed with you up until Glenn looked at his fate in the pictures. That makes it pretty certain to me :p

I think his "death" earlier in the season was just to throw off show-watchers. Now everyone has this "Glenn will always be safe mentality". Now that Maggie is pregnant, his death will have even more relevance with fans.

Yes, and I would agreed with you up until Glenn looked at his fate in the pictures. That makes it pretty certain to me :p

I think his "death" earlier in the season was just to throw off show-watchers. Now everyone has this "Glenn will always be safe mentality". Now that Maggie is pregnant, his death will have even more relevance with fans.
Yeah, there has just been too much foreshadowing. The happy ending with the baby picture, Maggie's "It's going to cost us", Glenn finally killing, the pictures. Daryl may have had some focus this season, but nothing like that

Surfinn

There was a LOT of obvious death foreshadowing in "Thank You", such as "hey asshole" to Rick. It was very clear he was going to "die", even my GF and I knew it was coming because it had been telegraphed so blatantly.

It's not about him always being safe, it's more that they've placed a new, unrealistic precedent (essentially rising from the dead) that's going to ultimately feel really cheap when he does eventually die. So I think him being brutally murdered only a handful of episodes later is (rightfully) not going to sit well with the majority of fans.

I don't think so because even non-comic book readers kind of know about Negan and Glenn so it's expected.

someday

Banned
After the fakeout with Sam saying, "mom" during the zombie walk, I have no faith that the show cares about setting up anything properly. This show will do whatever they want, regardless of how it fits tonally, and they'll be proud of themselves. You can look at the history of this show and honestly, it could be Daryl, Glenn, Carol, Maggie, or Heath for that matter. Using logic to guess who is going to die to Lucille is a wasted effort.

Surfinn

After the fakeout with Sam saying, "mom" during the zombie walk, I have no faith that the show cares about setting up anything properly. This show will do whatever they want, regardless of how it fits tonally, and they'll be proud of themselves. You can look at the history of this show and honestly, it could be Daryl, Glenn, Carol, Maggie, or Heath for that matter. Using logic to guess who is going to die to Lucille is a wasted effort.

While I agree the show constantly pats itself on the back for doing pretty much anything (sensical or not) at this point, where was the "fakeout" with Sam? Did he not get a shit ton of people killed and hurt, as suggested?

If I remember correctly, the only thing Negan won't go with is sexual assault.

During issue 100 he gave reasons on why not to kill any of them [such as being pegged as a racist, a sexist] as he went down the line. However, he ended up including all the characters in his "eeny meeny miny moe" game anyway.

How was that a fakeout?

dustyherb

I'm still going with my theory that Glenn has used 8 lives so far and isn't going to be so lucky on is 9th.

Glenn's saves
Season 1: struggle with vatos guys in alley and gets captured
Season 2: well walker
Season 3. Tied in chair, Merle sets walker on him.
Season 4: should've been in the bus that crashed
Season 5: throat almost cut at terminus/ Nicolas and walkers almost get him in season finale.
Season 6: dumpster dive/ last minute save by Sasha and Abe.

Sorry but it's time for Glenn to go. Daryl might have the biggest impact overall on the audience and the group in the show but Glenn has survived too many close encounters up to this point. I don't see him getting lucky with Lucille like all the other times.

someday

Banned
While I agree the show constantly pats itself on the back for doing pretty much anything (sensical or not) at this point, where was the "fakeout" with Sam? Did he not get a shit ton of people killed and hurt, as suggested?

How was that a fakeout?

Ending the mid-season finale with him saying "mom" and then the premier completely ignores this happened. So, we spent the entire break assuming this was leading to the comic book scene, but instead they make up an entirely different way for Sam to cause exact same deaths. I mean, he was talking in the middle of the horde and the walkers were looking at him in the finale but we're suppose to forget that happened by the premier which was supposed to have picked up right where the last episode ended?

They also don't seem to care about daylight turning to night in the blink of an eye, or the fact that lighting the lake on fire should have only created walking fire sticks and even more danger, going by their own show logic. I enjoy the show, honestly, but trying to figure out the future going by anything they've done in the past is impossible.

Surfinn

Ending the mid-season finale with him saying "mom" and then the premier completely ignores this happened. So, we spent the entire break assuming this was leading to the comic book scene, but instead they make up an entirely different way for Sam to cause exact same deaths. I mean, he was talking in the middle of the horde and the walkers were looking at him in the finale but we're suppose to forget that happened by the premier which was supposed to have picked up right where the last episode ended?

They also don't seem to care about daylight turning to night in the blink of an eye, or the fact that lighting the lake on fire should have only created walking fire sticks and even more danger, going by their own show logic. I enjoy the show, honestly, but trying to figure out the future going by anything they've done in the past is impossible.

I still don't see how that's a fakeout. All they did was imply that Sam was going to get everyone killed, and that's exactly what happened. We assumed that he was going to get the walker's attention by freaking out, and that's exactly what happened. Just because he didn't alert them when he first started talking doesn't make it a fakeout.

Let's not lose sight of what a REAL fakeout is (see: Glenn's "death").

someday

Banned
I still don't see how that's a fakeout. All they did was imply that Sam was going to get everyone killed, and that's exactly what happened. We assumed that he was going to get the walker's attention by freaking out, and that's exactly what happened. Just because he didn't alert them when he first started talking doesn't make it a fakeout.

Let's not lose sight of what a REAL fakeout is (see: Glenn's "death").
And see I think it was manipulative to include the iconic comic book panel and then completely ignore it, while still giving yourself the same outcome. It was a fakeout to me because it ultimately didn't mean a damn thing and yet they purposely ended the first half of the season that way so we could talk about and anticipate it for 2 months.

Surfinn

And see I think it was manipulative to include the iconic comic book panel and then completely ignore it, while still giving yourself the same outcome. It was a fakeout to me because it ultimately didn't mean a damn thing and yet they purposely ended the first half of the season that way so we could talk about and anticipate it for 2 months.

Alright, but that's not even close to being a fakeout. I agree that it was a HORRIBLE mid season finale (the worst ever, by far) and that the ending was awkward and abrupt, but all they did was continue RIGHT where they left off and Sam proceeded to fuck everything up. Just because he spoke a few lines right before the end of the episode doesn't mean everyone not being immediately devoured upon return is a fakeout.

TimeKillr

I very very highly doubt they would kill Daryl this season for one reason alone:

He's their biggest moneymaker. He's their face on countless licensed material (games, clothes, etc) that if they do end up killing him they would essentially lose out on all this external source of revenue.

Nobody is that stupid at AMC.

someday

Banned
Alright, but that's not even close to being a fakeout. I agree that it was a HORRIBLE mid season finale (the worst ever, by far) and that the ending was awkward and abrupt, but all they did was continue RIGHT where they left off and Sam proceeded to fuck everything up. Just because he spoke a few lines right before the end of the episode doesn't mean everyone not being immediately devoured upon return is a fakeout.
Somehow, while we weren't looking, Sam shut up completely and they continued walking. They made it safely to that clearing where Gabriel took Judith and they all had a conversation. There are no repercussions from Sam calling for his mother. No one ever mentions that Sam had been talking just a while before. It's like it never happened. I consider that a fakeout since in the comic book, that moment directly causes their deaths. Maybe there is a different word you'd prefer I use but that change struck me as cutesy as all the nods towards Glenn and baseball bats we've been seeing.

Surfinn

I very very highly doubt they would kill Daryl this season for one reason alone:

He's their biggest moneymaker. He's their face on countless licensed material (games, clothes, etc) that if they do end up killing him they would essentially lose out on all this external source of revenue.

Nobody is that stupid at AMC.

After the Glenn fakeout, anything is possible (and I don't mean that in a good way).

Somehow, while we weren't looking, Sam shut up completely and they continued walking. They made it safely to that clearing where Gabriel took Judith and they all had a conversation. There are no repercussions from Sam calling for his mother. No one ever mentions that Sam had been talking just a while before. It's like it never happened. I consider that a fakeout since in the comic book, that moment directly causes their deaths. Maybe there is a different word you'd prefer I use but that change struck me as cutesy as all the nods towards Glenn and baseball bats we've been seeing.

I took it as a "next time on The Walking Dead, Sam kills everyone", and that's what happened, even if not immediately. I agree that it should have been filmed differently and not so obviously (maybe a zoom in on Sam's terrified face) and without him verbally panicking. But I think you're REALLY nitpicking at this point (in terms of it being a fakeout).

I will agree with the criticism that the group CONSTANTLY has a ton of time to sit back and think while they'res a goddamn zombie invasion. One of my major gripes. Even though zombies are pouring in from every direction, we have time to stop and talk about the meaning of life in a house or huddle and come up with a plan being OUTSIDE right next to them.

Sadist

I'm pretty sure. Its been awhile since I read the comics so I could be wrong.
Well as mentioned in a few posts above, Holly was killed by him. And man oh man, while he didn't physicly didn't hurt Carl, there was some mental fuckery going on there. It's still one of the reasons why Carl would still kill Negan if he ever had the chance.

I'm still going with my theory that Glenn has used 8 lives so far and isn't going to be so lucky on is 9th.

Glenn's saves
Season 1: struggle with vatos guys in alley and gets captured
Season 2: well walker
Season 3. Tied in chair, Merle sets walker on him.
Season 4: should've been in the bus that crashed
Season 5: throat almost cut at terminus/ Nicolas and walkers almost get him in season finale.
Season 6: dumpster dive/ last minute save by Sasha and Abe.

Sorry but it's time for Glenn to go. Daryl might have the biggest impact overall on the audience and the group in the show but Glenn has survived too many close encounters up to this point. I don't see him getting lucky with Lucille like all the other times.

Yup. Glenn and only Glenn. I don't buy Daryl and I certainly don't buy Maggie.

In issue 100, Negan was yes, cruel, but he was also making a point and sending a message. Like he said, he didn't WANT to kill any of them. He wants them in line and working for him, so whoever he killed had to hurt the group and establish his dominance vs. making them dig in and fight him even harder.

Beating Maggie to death (or even hitting her in the stomach) in the show wouldn't be consistent with Negan's character since he sees himself as a magnanimous leader that has to break a few eggs to make an omelette vs a total monster.

So, I say Glenn, not Maggie, and definitely not Daryl since Glenn will hurt more in the show (vs hurting the audience) what with all the times he's narrowly escaped, and his pending fatherhood, just like the book.

Well as mentioned in a few posts above, Holly was killed by him. And man oh man, while he didn't physicly didn't hurt Carl, there was some mental fuckery going on there. It's still one of the reasons why Carl would still kill Negan if he ever had the chance.

Ah shit thats right. I completely forgot about Holly.

Surfinn

Yup. Glenn and only Glenn. I don't buy Daryl and I certainly don't buy Maggie.

In issue 100, Negan was yes, cruel, but he was also making a point and sending a message. Like he said, he didn't WANT to kill any of them. He wants them in line and working for him, so whoever he killed had to hurt the group and establish his dominance vs. making them dig in and fight him even harder.

Yeah, that's BS, though. I get that he was sending a message, but he enjoyed every bit of beating Glenn to death and even taunted him all the way down to the last swing. If he was simply trying to send a message, he very well could have just shot him and be done with it (if you cross me you die), but he takes both pleasure and pride in murdering with Lucille (with "whom" he exhibits a strange "relationship" with throughout the comic).

More reasonable than the governor, sure. But every bit as twisted, just in a different way.

someday

Banned
I took it as a "next time on The Walking Dead, Sam kills everyone", and that's what happened, even if not immediately. I agree that it should have been filmed differently and not so obviously (maybe a zoom in on Sam's terrified face) and without him verbally panicking. But I think you're REALLY nitpicking at this point (in terms of it being a fakeout).

I will agree with the criticism that the group CONSTANTLY has a ton of time to sit back and think while they'res a goddamn zombie invasion. One of my major gripes. Even though zombies are pouring in from every direction, we have time to stop and talk about the meaning of life in a house or huddle and come up with a plan being OUTSIDE right next to them.
I probably am but it really bothered me. I'm sure the Glenn fake death thing that lasted for several episodes didn't help either and made it worse.

I also agree with your second point. That doesn't help me to forgive the way Sam ultimately kills everyone since it was so dumb that the group found a safe spot to chat in the middle of that huge horde of walkers anyway. That scene never should have happened.

Yeah, that's BS, though. I get that he was sending a message, but he enjoyed every bit of beating Glenn to death and even taunted him all the way down to the last swing. If he was simply trying to send a message, he very well could have just shot him and be done with it (if you cross me you die), but he takes both pleasure and pride in murdering with Lucille (with "whom" he exhibits a strange "relationship" with throughout the comic).
Its the only bitch he's ever loved

Surfinn

I probably am but it really bothered me. I'm sure the Glenn fake death thing that lasted for several episodes didn't help either and made it worse.

I also agree with your second point. That doesn't help me to forgive the way Sam ultimately kills everyone since it was so dumb that the group found a safe spot to chat in the middle of that huge horde of walkers anyway. That scene never should have happened.

In a show with less huge problems (i.e. Breaking Bad), something like this would have bothered me more, but I can see what you're saying about Sam suddenly no longer being an immediate threat in the beginning of the episode and how it felt awkward. They should have just never put themselves in a "to be continued" moment with Sam vocally freaking out. I also agree that the huddle scene was bad and that it should have been done inside of the house before they left.

Talk about killing the fear of threat and intensity of a total, all out zombie invasion.
The shit with Dianna was absolutely absurd too (let's all say goodbye and have her give life advice to each and every survivor), I mean my god.. they just put the show on hold for whatever they want regardless of the situation at hand. Once those walls come down, there's no time to do shit but run and survive. That's what it should have been about. Instead we get this stalling bullshit where it feels like it's just another day in Alexandria. Did not like the way it was handled (not to say there weren't fantastic moments, but the impact was softened because of the tension-breaking filler in between).

UberTag

It's so nice to get proven right in my assumptions...

TSDF OFFICIAL Q&A Episode 614 "Twice As Far"

Who are the two groups that are out looking for supplies?
Eugene and Abraham (Eugene looking for a place to make ammo)
Denise, Rosita and Daryl (Looking for medicine)

Does anyone in Team Family die this ep? If so, who and how?
Denise, crossbow through head

What is Rick's reaction to Morgan's jail cell? Do we find out what the cell is for?
Rick just asks what's it for. Morgan says it will give some choices next time.

Why is Carol on Tobin's porch?
It's a 1 second shot. She kisses Tobin quickly as he leaves. She appears to be just waiting for him

What's Carl up to this ep?
We don't see Carl this episode.

Will Dwight make an appearance and if so, is his face ironed?
Yes he does and his left side is burned

Does Daryl get his crossbow back? If so, how?
Yes, after a fight with Dwight and his group

Does the group run into any other Saviors besides Dwight?
Yes there is a group with Dwight

Is Jesus in this episode?
We don't see Jesus this episode.

Does anyone go missing by the end of the episode? If so, who?
No

Top Bottom