• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spotify coming to PS3 and PS4; Music Unlimited shutting down.

btkadams

Listen to music while raiding in Destiny? That'd be great if Bungie allowed to us to modify sound/music settings WHATSOEVER (in-game music cannot be muted).

This is great though!

GTSweet

Neo Member
This is genuinely cool, specifically the background play. I use snap play for music frequently, but it would be amazing to do it in the background.

Very nice!

Hoo-doo

Banned
How will background play work- is it like a system level thing? Or do games need to support it?

There's apps that keep running in the background while gaming already, like youtube or Netflix. This will be no different aside from the fact that i'll keep playing your tunes I guess.

Hexa

Wait what? PlayStation Music? Powered by Spotify? How does this work exactly? This sounds bigger than just a Spotify App. o_O

Azzawon

Great feature, I am jealous as I don't have a PS4 yet! This is terribly frustrating for those who have been wanting this on Xbox One however, Xbox Music really just doesn't cut it...

Floridian

My 2 year spotify premium is finally about to pay off!
tumblr_mn3qy5dDt81s3lj4ho1_500.gif

MARNEY

I wonder if my playlists from music unlimited will carry over to a spotify... All my wedding music playlist are on music unlimited... Hope my wife doesn't hear about this!...

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Relative to what they had up until now (MU) definitely a positive move, but I really hope they're ultimately moving towards supporting multiple music services. The way keep saying "exclusively" about Spotify in this PR makes me very concerned though.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Wow. Awesome news, although honestly, that came out of left-field. That's the sort of announcement they'd usually reserve for a conference of some sort (CES, E3, etc).

curb

Banned
I'm going to assume Premium is required for this. I doubt the ad support Spotify "subscription" will work on PS4.

Goldrusher

Sounds fishy.

Why not Spotify itself?
Will this only have a selection of Spotify's content?
Why is it called "PlayStation Music" and not "Sony Music"? The latter would make more sense imo. Especially on phones and tablets.

Is this the beginning of PlayStation as a standalone brand?

Jonnax

Damn, wish Google Play got more traction. They seem to have more stuff that I want to listen to, but this combined with Uber support may make me switch.

I'm guessing the onus is on google to want to partner with others but they don't seem want to move beyond mobile and web browsers.
Seeing how long it took to even get a YouTube app.

GTSweet

Neo Member
Great feature, I am jealous as I don't have a PS4 yet! This is terribly frustrating for those who have been wanting this on Xbox One however, Xbox Music really just doesn't cut it...

Xbox Music doesn't cut it and no background play for you DLNA/Plex/USB or even Pandora.

Background play better jump way up that priority list for Xbox Monthly Updates!

Top Bottom