• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

ore monogatari should be at the top tbh

e: no bones, arslan senki and lupin is atrocious

I'm somehow doubt we'll be seeing Lupin anytime soon, but where the hell is Blood Blockade Battlefront? That's easily the most anticipated show of the season and has been for quite some time.

Spring is looking to be a really promising season.

That new KyoAni show looks all right.

I'm kinda interested in that Plastic Memories show.

Gintama is freaking Gintama. (I really gotta finish that show).

And Ore Monogatari is apparently a really good manga being adapted by Madhouse, which is always a plus (yes, I hear Parasyte wasn't all that great in the end but they did Hunter X Hunter 2011 so they're all right in my book).

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I'm somehow doubt we'll be seeing Lupin anytime soon, but where the hell is Blood Blockade Battlefront? That's easily the most anticipated show of the season and has been for quite some time.

apart from the nice background art, it looks bland as hell
PVs haven't impressed
synopsis doesn't sound appealing

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Assassination Classroom Episode 11:

Must......Read.........Shonen.......Jump! RIght, obvious advertising aside, this certainly feels like a major turning point in the series as we head to cour two. Some things have been revealed and the classroom gets its very own Naruto.

Cornbread78

Hey, I'll be there from the start this time!

Trying to figure out my next series on Crunchy, so I might have to experiment.

jbug617

Banned
Will Watch:

Baby Steps S2
Fate/Stay UBW S2
Ace of Diamond S2
High School DxD S3
Hello!! Kiniro Mosaic
Shokugeki no Souma
Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru Zoku
Danna ga Nani o Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken 2-sure-me

Everything else I will give it a shot.

Jarmel

Banned
Minor rumor according to ep 1 previews but supposedly Matsumoto has a credit as sound director for the show.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I am not seeing anything especially compelling in the previews here but then again my approach is to sample a whole bunch of series and drop the ones that falter.

Quasar

First Tamayura movie in less than a week according to Anichart.

How dare reality deny me the opportunity to watch.

Quasar

I am not seeing anything especially compelling in the previews here but then again my approach is to sample a whole bunch of series and drop the ones that falter.

Even though I create a list, in the end I tend to try every #1 on CR aside from those obviously things I'd dislike.

Garo - 24:

Fine finale. Maybe perhaps bit safe but I like happy endings so fine by me. Can't wait for season two (I wonder if it's continuation for this season in some form or completely new series. We shall see).

Absolutely criminal that it's not even selling 1000 copies per volume. Best show I've seen coming out of MAPPA.
2b5.gif

Sometimes it makes me little depressed how awful the taste of otaku market is. Luckily second season and movie have been announced already.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Even though I create a list, in the end I tend to try every #1 on CR aside from those obviously things I'd dislike.

Indeed only exceptions are sequel series, I am watching Vivid and Tri because I know those series ans staying the hell away from Gintama because I have never watched it. Staying away from NIsekoi because I hate it and want it to die in the flames of hell.

javac

These are all of my reviews from the previous thread, I know they aren't very good but humor me :)

RahXephon: Link
Summary: As you can tell, I really loved the show and it’s one of my favorites for sure. All my reservations were uncalled for as by the end the show exceeded my expectations by a huge margin. The show revolves around sound so the audio was amazing as you’d expect. The voice acting was immaculate. Everyone delivered their lines with conviction. The cinematography was actually pretty amazing and the art is amazing throughout. Awesome character and mechanical designs also present throughout. The story and show is actually really well thought out as it takes you on this journey, and I didn’t expect that. It surprised me a lot. I’m super glad that I watched it. The more I think about it, the more emotional I get. When I think about it, the weaker moments were far and few between and the show overall was super strong in its delivery with a few absolute standout episodes. The amazing cast of characters are what ultimately make this a show I won’t forget anytime soon.

Watch it for the:
Amazing Art & Unique Designs
Beautiful Cinematography & Imagery
Great Soundtrack Full Of Emotional, Touching & Unforgettable Pieces
Amazingly Well Orchestrated Cast of Characters
Top Voice Acting
Satisfying & Interesting Story
10/10

Boogiepop Phantom: Link
Summary: The show should not be seen as just a bona fide horror romp. This show evokes every emotion imaginable. My heart sank, I shed tears, I smirked, I was happy and I was sad. Disgust, anger and confusion, words that accurately describe the full gamut of emotions that I felt during the shows welcomed 12 episode run. I felt emotions that I didn’t expect to feel watching Boogiepop Phantom. But it’s not just the variety but the ferocity displayed in how the show hits you with these emotions. One moment in particular had me with tears and a smile on my face during the majority of the episode only for it to vanish entirely in a matter of seconds as I sat gazing at the screen in shock.

In the end this is a show that surprised me in ways in which I hadn’t contemplated prior to my viewing. It was without doubt an experience that I will never forget. Boogiepop is a show that looks and like no other, and one that plays like no other. Expect to smile, to cry, to scratch your head in confusion, to understand everything completely and to understand nothing during its 12 episode run. But most importantly, expect Boogiepop Phantom.

"How can you say you are a phantom?"
10/10

Tenshi no Tamago (Angel’s Egg): Link
Summary: Like I said earlier, the movie has its prerogative, its motivations and its messages however delving too deeply into that rabbit hole is missing the point. This is a film that requires you to capture those fleeting feelings and hold onto them. It requires you to savor those moments and to grasp tightly onto that fragile and brittle egg, protecting it from the outside world. Narrative can and is told through different methods, and just because Angel’s Egg decides not to follow the standard template for story telling doesn’t mean that a story can’t be formed from your viewing. In the end it really comes down to one question, and instead of trying to figure out just what Angel’s Egg is about, the real question is how did Angel’s Egg make you feel?

“Keep precious things inside of you, or you will lose them.”
10/10

Perfect Blue: Link
Summary: Perfect Blue is a deep movie, one tackling the issues surrounding identity and the fragility of it all, especially for a person who is in the limelight of sorts. Does your work define you? How do you make sense of yourself when the lines blur? The use of both mirrors, puddles and reflections are used in order to visually articulate such ideas in a way that only animation would be able to do. The question is often brought up, why is Perfect Blue animated? Well it’s true that a live action adaptation was released years later, with Perfect Blue itself originally slated to be a live action itself back in 1993. Throughout the years, many films have also tried incorporating themes and images from the film into their own as well, however I’d make the argument that Perfect Blue, the story told here in its animated incarnation uses the medium to its full advantage, and does so masterfully.

Whether it’s the use of a nonlinear, non-chronological layout, the ghosts of the main character representing her former image, dancing mockingly around her current self or the depiction of this innocent animated image being marred and muddied as its carried through this fascinating story, Perfect Blue is without doubt a movie that is not only a master class, but no doubt genre defining. Not for the faint of heart, but given that you’re ready to open your mind and appreciate this artistic take on a girl struggling to find her identity, you’ll have something to think about for a long time with the meandering plot, powerful imagery and many twists that will have you satisfied by the end.

10/10

Memories (1995 Film): Link
Summary: These three shorts are phenomenal alone, each delivering something worth watching, but together as a compilation they truly complement each other and work together in order to create an astonishing visual/audio tour de force. The music blew me away in each of the three shorts, as did the art and visuals. It’s all remarkably high quality, undoubtedly so but truly distinct and gripping in presentation. You truly won’t be forgetting any one of these shorts any time soon and I without a doubt recommend you all to take 2 hours out of your day to watch these as soon as you get the chance. You’ll be left spellbound, you’ll laugh, and you’ll cry but one thing is for sure, you’ll be left with some great memories.

10/10

Neo Tokyo (Meikyū Monogatari/Manie-Manie): Link
Summary In the end, these shorts are truly worth your time. They're short, but full of life with beautiful animation, imaginative characters and scenarios and a very fitting soundtrack. It's under 50 minutes for the whole lot, and there's a lot worse you could watch in that amount of time. Don't come here for the story, come here to be whisked away by a word full of excitement and imagination. As the poster for the theatrical release (which was shared with Silent Mobius: The Motion Picture as a double feature)states, Neo Tokyo...it's not just a city...it's a state of mind.

Beautiful animation
Great soundtrack
Short, straight to the point but also imaginative
Great character/mechanical designs
9/10
*This review is longer than I expected it to be, but I was listening to Gymnopédies No. 1 on loop during the whole thing, so that might have had an impact on things :p

Flag (2006 ONA): Link
Summary: Beautiful animation, a nice if somewhat bombastic soundtrack, amazing attention to detail and a myriad of visual effects and lenses from black and white photography to thermal vision all set in a 'seen it all before' setting that doesn’t really go anywhere at times, but is told in such a unique way that for many it will be engrossing enough with or without the aforementioned blemishes.
8/10

Everything was 10.

The iDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls 11

60559b3c8f.png

At least best girls were together but wtf is wrong with Anastasia's hands.

Rock. Nyaa. Rock. Nyaa. Rock. Nyaa. Rock. Nyaa. Rock. Nyaa. Rock. Nyaa. Boy am I glad they put the two most one-note characters in a group together.

Rock Girl fails her design. And she's a poser. To think I liked her in the first episode. Boo myself.

Also I feel like Decim and the Producer are the same person.

-----------------------------------

Well I guess I should make the Shokugeki no Soma OT so it's ready, if Senran Kagura and Yuri Kuma Arashi can have OTs this can to

Midonin

Video sales aren't everything. Not to mention Garo's been running as a toku franchise since 2005. The money for it is surely coming from more places than video sales.

WHOA. WHOA WHOA WHOA.

I just found out that the writer for Plastic Memories is Hayashi Naotaka, the scenario writer of Steins;Gate.

Hype has now been significantly raised.

WHOA. WHOA WHOA WHOA.

I just found out that the writer for Plastic Memories is Hayashi Naotaka, the scenario writer of Steins;Gate.

Hype has now been significantly raised.

Yup. This and Kekkai Sensen are what I'm hanging my Spring hopes on.

Hey, I'll be there from the start this time!

Trying to figure out my next series on Crunchy, so I might have to experiment.

Shin Sekai Yori, bud.

apart from the nice background art, it looks bland as hell
PVs haven't impressed
synopsis doesn't sound appealing

The PVs make it look like a cool action series. I mean, aside from the backgrounds and general art design they also show excellent effects/action/character animation as well as skilled storyboarding and some snazzy jazz. I'm not sure what else you want from a PV.

JoJo - 07

JoJo overflowing with juice, breaking the chains and declaring that nothing of Tarkus would remain was great.
I think I would've liked to see something more than just the finishing move though. One down, three takes his place. I hope Zep's master delivers some good fights.

cajunator

Banned
Lol, they play the commercial for it on Cruchy 24/7, so why not.

Looking forward to many more Anime adventures this spring, be gentle everyone. .

You have been properly initiated so Im sure more legitimate recs will follow. I can list a lot of older shows you might enjoy too though they arent on CR or streaming (maybe netflix)

Quasar

Indeed only exceptions are sequel series, I am watching Vivid and Tri because I know those series ans staying the hell away from Gintama because I have never watched it. Staying away from NIsekoi because I hate it and want it to die in the flames of hell.

Yeah. Gintama is on the same pile as other long (or old) shows that have been given sequels recently. Such as Durarara this season. Maybe one day I'll get to them, but the longer they are the less likely I am to touch them.

Jarmel

Banned
The PVs make it look like a cool action series. I mean, aside from the backgrounds and general art design they also show excellent effects/action/character animation as well as skilled storyboarding and some snazzy jazz. I'm not sure what else you want from a PV.

I was actually rewatching the 3rd PV and one thing that struck me was how well edited the PV itself was compared to other PVs for Spring and Summer shows. There's a lot of cuts that go with the music.

I completely disagree with the notion that it was a fairy tale type ending.
Ed lost his alchemy and Hohenheim is gone.
Ultimately it's not consequential because of Ed's character growth but he did sacrifice in the end. Also at the bolded, that's called a good ending when you don't leave open plot threads. For a conclusion you don't want unresolved issues.

I am actually in amazement that you actually consider that a loss.
Winry doesn't use alchemy and neither does many other characters in the show.
It's like saying your obvious Mary Sue isn't so because you tacked on one lousy trait. Cleaning up everything at the end and making everyone happy is for fairy tales. A story about the Iraq war would still have plot points relating to things occurring today. Reality doesn't have these fixed endings where the enemy is defeated and the world is saved. There are unresolved issues in every conflict and I believe it is far better to leave some characters on their quest and in their own story, rather than unrealistically making everyone's battle culminate at one arbitrary point.

Vecks

Didn't care much for last season, but I'm super hyped for this season.

Definitely Watching:
Shokugeki no Souma
Gintama
Ore Monogatari
Nisekoi

Will probably check out some others like Ninja Slayer and Digimon, but those are the ones I'm gonna try and stick with.

Jarmel

Banned
I am actually in amazement that you actually consider that a loss.
Winry doesn't use alchemy and neither does many other characters in the show.
It's like saying your obvious Mary Sue isn't so because you tacked on one lousy trait. Cleaning up everything at the end and making everyone happy is for fairy tales. A story about the Iraq war would still have plot points relating to things occurring today. Reality doesn't have these fixed endings where the enemy is defeated and the world is saved. There are unresolved issues in every conflict and I believe it is far better to leave some characters on their quest and in their own story, rather than unrealistically making everyone's battle culminate at one arbitrary point.

I already responded but I'll repost it anyway. :

Come on.
Alchemy is a defining trait for Ed, hell it was his primary trait. The speech to Rose makes this crystal clear. I think you missed the whole point of the Truth segment. Ed has progressed as an individual and doesn't need alchemy anymore compared to when he was younger because he has friends and doesn't think so highly of himself anymore. He damn near compared himself to God in his introduction.

Well a strong point of fiction is that it's not reality. Having unresolved plot points for the sake of having unresolved plot points is disgusting in my book. That's on the level of Mac Walter's "Speculation for Everyone".

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yeah. Gintama is on the same pile as other long (or old) shows that have been given sequels recently. Such as Durarara this season. Maybe one day I'll get to them, but the longer they are the less likely I am to touch them.

I know, I would love to see what the hype is about but I do not have the time to devote right now.

wonzo

Banned
Ill be watching the following (assuming they are on streaming services)

Arslan Senki
Battle Spirits: burning soul (if Crunchyroll streams)
Ace of Diamond Second Season
Digimon Tri
Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?
Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works 2nd Season
Futurecard Buddyfight 100 (EngDub)
Gunslinger Stratos: The Animation
Hibike! Euphonium
Kekkai Sensen
Kyoukai no Rinne
Mikagura Gakuen Kumikyoku
Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu
Nisekoi: Second Season
Ore Monogatari
Seraph of the End
Food Wars!
Show by Rock!!
Uta no☆Prince-sama♪ Maji Love Revolutions
My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU 2
Yamada and the Seven Witches

Continuing
Assassination Classroom (sub and dub)
DRRR!! x2 (engDub)
Gundem Reconguista in G
Gundam Seed Destiny HD
Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC-V
Naruto Shippuden
Tribe Cool Crew
One Piece
Sailor Moon Crystal
JJBA
Cardfight!! Vanguard G (engDub)
Comical Psychosomatic Medicine
World Trigger
Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's

Mitch

Banned
I'll check out Digimon. Currently catching up with a lot of shows I didn't watch from last year/earlier this year.

Narag

Japanese Fans Recommend Their Personal Favorite Overlooked Anime

Kind of interesting.

Manga is also included on here. One thing that surprised me was S-CRY-ED being that high up, what? I mean I watched it and it was fine, but I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone unless they want to watch people punch each other. Not that there's anything wrong with that!

Utena is on there too. I wouldn't really call that overlooked. Baccano as well.

Kill Me Baby! #2? BGBW vindicated.

Crocodile

The problem was that it was a typical anime ending. The good guys won, the bad guys lost. The main character got the girl. The world was saved, all the bad guys were completely defeated so there is no chance of them coming back, there are no unresolved tensions or issues to deal with. It's a fairy tale, a "they lived happily ever after", and a complete disregard of the beginning of the show/manga which is very much about coming to terms with loss. After years of war, everyone goes home happy as friends. And you ask me what is wrong with it?

Ok you're going to have to outline exactly what you wanted to see because I'm still not seeing the bad parts yet.

The good guys won: This is bad why? They earned their victory with hard work, sacrifice and plans that were established long before the final battle took place. How is the ending improved by Father winning? Everybody dies the end? The show was about the story of the Elrics and their quest to regain their family and eventually save Amestris. From a narrative perspective what does Father winning accomplish? It's not like the show was trying to be Eva or Berserk or something.

The guy got the girl:
Ed and Winry had a relationship that had been developing for the entire series. They had slowly but clearly been getting closer together over the course of the series. Sure they didn't HAVE to get together but how is it an improvement if they don't? Just so you can say they threw a swerve? Did you think there relationship wasn't built up enough over the course of the series where them becoming a coupe is hard to believe?

The world was saved, all the bad guys were completely defeated so there is no chance of them coming back: Why do we need the bad guys to live? Just to scream "I'll get you next time Edward Elric?" Evil still exists in the world and the knowledge on how to create a Philosopher's stone still persists. If somebody really wanted to try again they absolutely could.

No unresolved tensions or issues to deal with: Huh? Ametris has to be totally rebuilt, the Ishvalians need to be paid back (and relationships between them and the rest of Amestris need to be repaired), Mustang is still working towards becoming Fuhrer, Baby Pride could still go nuclear at any moment, Alphonse is questing in Xing, etc.

Unlike real life, this story needed to come to a conclusion but that doesn't mean the future is all sunshine and gumdrops and there is no potential avenue for conflict. However as a closed fictional narrative, leaving completely open plot threads hanging is usually a really bad idea. The series accomplished what it set out to do.

Like I'm having a hard time seeing where the ending really fumbled. Many characters saw significant development over the course of the show. New directions are outlined and issues remained to be resolved. What exactly do you want? I'm trying to not assume you wanted a "Kill em all Tomino" ending but otherwise I can't figure out what you want.

Japanese Fans Recommend Their Personal Favorite Overlooked Anime

Kind of interesting.

Manga is also included on here. One thing that surprised me was S-CRY-ED being that high up, what? I mean I watched it and it was fine, but I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone unless they want to watch people punch each other. Not that there's anything wrong with that!

Utena is on there too. I wouldn't really call that overlooked. Baccano as well.
Aside from Fractale and S-CRY-ED this is a pretty good list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom