• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 | The 'Verse Awakens

Some impressions:
1. They really really needed to give the exact reasons why SQ42 mission was not shown, in spite of the clear intent that they wanted to given all the information we had.
2. In place of the mission being shown, if they could not due to bugs, they should have just shown off a tiny vignette / supercut trailer of what that looked like. Heck, even just a few images of the old man talking at the screen would not be bad.
3. Planet 2.0 looks really really great. I was really happy to see AI and hints at weather and faun / flora.
3. Planet 2.0 was awesome, but at the same time it was heavily scripted and lacked the multiplayer element, making it seem like it was supposed to actually just be a "side show" for the main SQ42 presentaiton. Which is obvious now.
4. I really hope they show off SQ42 within the next 3 weeks. It would do them well to follow up on this quickly, as another SM situation where we are told we will see it - but never do - would be just silly as all hell.
5. Why not show off a bit of 2.6 SM? I think that would have been nice to downset the lack of SQ42.

ryousuke

Some impressions:
1. They really really needed to give the exact reasons why SQ42 mission was not shown, in spite of the clear intent that they wanted to given all the information we had.

Didn't CR said that they would show it only when it'll look like the final game ? Since they haven't polished it completely, they don't want to show it if it's still a little rough.

This thread is noticeably quiet after Citizencon, doesn't it usually get multiple pages?

It was pretty boring and bad, I can't imagine paying for entry and being happy to sit through a 2 hour powerpoint presentation on social media.

Why are they developing their own !Discord when Discord exists anyway for free and is game-agnostic? With a worse interface where every element is holographic blue, like they didn't get enough complaints about that already?

The homestead and crashed javelin demos both looked much more scripted than normal - ships being introduced by cutscene camera pans, and the "procedural, dynamic" sandstorm disappearing pretty much instantly in a scripted manner (it didn't pass over, because it couldn't be seen on the other side). Then the scripting bugged out at the end.

Didn't CR said that they would show it only when it'll look like the final game ? Since they haven't polished it completely, they don't want to show it if it's still a little rough.

I find that to be reasonable, and I want to see SQ42 gameplay when it looks very very polished, but at the same time I think they should have appeased by just showing off some tiny tiny cinematic highlights. Surely there is 1 or 2 sections of SQ42 (not even 30 seconds long) where the character models, lighting, and etc. look really nice and polished?

KKRT00

Some impressions:
5. Why not show off a bit of 2.6 SM? I think that would have been nice to downset the lack of SQ42.

Yeah, i understand everything, but not this. Why wasnt 2.6 there? :/

---
sandstorm disappearing pretty much instantly in a scripted manner (it didn't pass over, because it couldn't be seen on the other side). Then the scripting bugged out at the end.

Actually you can see sandstorm on the other side for a brief second:
https://youtu.be/XuDj5v81Nd0?t=6723

Burny

So you expected to game of this format to be released in a year with no dev team assembled. And additionally spent 1000$ just because you found it interesting.

Nope, not salty cause of the money. The lion's share went to hardware which serves me well in projects that aren't driven into a wall like Star Citizen. And some I never would've found without Star Citizen.

Pissed at the lack of progress, the blatant eyewashing (Star Citizen was sold as an MMO/SP campaign hybrid, not as a set of scripted fetch quests that blatantly won't work in an MMO context), the general ongoing charade of selling theory crafted .jpg-s, the excuses, excuses, excuses and some more excuses for dessert made by backers to fill in all the blanks left by CIG.

After now 4 years, 125$Mio. of backer money they are showing some shooty gameplay that doesn't even match the semi open world gameplay of Crisis 1, imply that there are boss fights against monsters (were they part of the kickstarter or did Roberts wanted to have them on a whim), none of all that is particularily impressive, as it's being superseded and has long beend trounced in terms of FPS gameplay and other aspects by other games concentrating on the individual aspects. But in the name of having the game of everything with the most fappable 4k face textures it's given a free pass, although the playable alpha reality has anything but everything. They haven't even gotten a bloody cargo mechanic to work! Yet, they now have the most janky ass hover bike implementation that you can get for 125$Mio., bumping spastically across their high res field, although that does not a single thing to bring closer the kickstarter promises of the cinematic single player campaign (noticeably absent even in bloody trailer form after all this time) or the space ship MMO. Where are the epic capital ship fights? Oh, right! They'll implement them, right after they figured out how Roberts wants them to be designed:

KrWR38.gif

That is of course, after they figure out that a multiplayer game needs some working networking and a rough idea of which of and how they want to make all their promised game mechanics work with it.

This thing is a fucking trainwreck and I would very much wish it wasn't. But as long as Roberts is on his space game Jebus ego trip and cuts this down to something they can manage to release within his lifetime, it looks like it'll very much remain a trainwreck. With 16k textures slapped on nonetheless, because they look brilliant in screenshots. And a whoie lot of theory crafting. You can only be a 10 mile high imaginary pretent space person after all, if you've got the newest .jpg frigate. Don't even ask how you'll crew it and how it will play in reality, the important thing is keeping dreaming the dream. Whales gonna be whales.

KKRT00

Lack of progress? How can you look at alpha 2.0 and then what they showed yesterday and on Gamescom and then call it 'lack of progress'.

After they figure out that a multiplayer game needs some working networking and a rough idea of which of and how they want to make all their promised game mechanics work with it.
Oh yeah, because doing persistent multiplayer in such a game is a simple thing to do and have been done before - have been not.

How hard is for you to understand that most of the problems they encounter are new and need to be researched and iterated to get it working.
You know why Elite still doesnt have planetary exploration? Because its freaking hard to do and no one has ever done it on the scale they want to do it, so thats why its taking them a lot of time to develop.

Burny

Lack of progress? How can you look at alpha 2.0 and then what they showed yesterday and on Gamescom and then call it 'lack of progress'.

Simple: it's not in backer's hands in a playable form. Until then it's eyewash. Remember No Man's Sky?

Anybody who can count two and two together will be able to see that those scripted quests aren't suited for filling an MMO with procedurally generated life. They're authored missions and unless they have secretly developed hundreds of them already, Star Citizen: The MMO is about where it was at during last gamescom. But you can now dress your fantasy space man (you can't be a woman yet after all), so I give you that as progress.

Great then, they only need to start working on the rest of Star Citizen, which is about all of Star Citizen as promised.

And if we hear of any more bloody mocap shoots that Roberts is doing, we should really ask the question if there'll be any game to Squadron 42 when it comes round the corner. If that is. Or if it'll just be the sad documentary of how an overconfident and overambitious but underskilled wannabe game and movie maker blew the biggest crowdfunding project's ever capital on non interactive cutscenes.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Nope, not salty cause of the money.

Did you try to get a refund? You mention their expensive JPGs in many of your recent posts. Might as well get your money out if you're going to try to discourage people from putting more into it.

KKRT00

Simple: it's not in backer's hands in a playable form. Until then it's eyewash. Remember No Man's Sky?

Why would they be in backer's hands? They still work on them...
Its exactly the same situation as last year. They showed multicrew on Gamescom, then alpha 2.0 on CitizenCon and then they delivered it at the end of the year.

fanboi

Banned

Anybody who can count two and two together will be able to see that those scripted quests aren't suited for filling an MMO with procedurally generated life. They're authored missions and unless they have secretly developed hundreds of them already, Star Citizen: The MMO is about where it was at during last gamescom. But you can now dress your fantasy space man (you can't be a woman yet after all), so I give you that as progress.

Great then, they only need to start working on the rest of Star Citizen, which is about all of Star Citizen as promised.

And if we hear of any more bloody mocap shoots that Roberts is doing, we should really ask the question if there'll be any game to Squadron 42 when it comes round the corner. If that is. Or if it'll just be the sad documentary of how an overconfident and overambitious but underskilled wannabe game and movie maker blew the biggest crowdfunding project's ever capital on non interactive cutscenes.

This applicable to every other game out there, that hasn't been released, except that SC is more transparent about their development.

Also, I agree that it is disheartening to not show SQ42, but you are over exaggerating quite a lot.

A lot of the builds they show of the future are "vision statements", i.e a target of what they want to achieve - the best example of this is the 2014 PU trailer, which features features space to landing zone in the same system, NPC AI roaming around, interactions with storeholders, cargo, etc. Two years later, most of these aren't in the game.

It's not that they had a build with all of this magically working and then sat on it, it's that this stuff is usually heavily scripted for an internal "pitch" demo and once accepted then they'll actually do the work of implementing it properly. Then what we do get is heavily delayed and usually missing a lot of promised features, that's been a bit of a trend.

3.0 was an impressive demo! But we're 2 months from 2.5, the next patch isn't even in Evocati hands and probably over a month away, and I can't see them going from that to 3.0 in a single month. We'll realistically get it around April with some stuff missing and pushed back to later patches, the same with most of their post-3.0 roadmap.

Burny

Did you try to get a refund? You mention their expensive JPGs in many of your recent posts. Might as well get your money out if you're going to try to discourage people from putting more into it.

I had been firmly against asking for a refund. After all, there's a ton of talented people working on the project who aren't at fault for Roberts being Roberts. But with the laughable E3, Gamescom and now Citizencon showings I'm starting to tip here, but aren't there, yet.

This applicable to every other game out there, that hasn't been released, except that SC is more transparent about their development..

Nope, it isn't. Never has been, since I followed it in 2014. They put a lot of info out there, but what of that is reliable information about actual progress? Roberts has gone to supervise another mocap shoot, Sandy put a finger in her nose, we're totally going to have procedurally generated birds and cocktail mixing mini games, Dereck Smart is evil and btw, Star Marine is weeks away, not months or years.

More than a year later, what would've been open development? Mentioning how deep Star Marine's development was/still is shit, why the project was taken from the external dev, what tasks are being taken to reinstantiate it. Instead they slithered around the issue, gave unreliable or downright untrue information, gave a new ETA a year later (2.6) and broke it again. Who'd have thought? Anybody who calls that open development seems to constrain the term "open" to trivialities or unspecifics.

Get out. This thread is all "Yes men", you are arguing against windmills. Whether your arguments are valid or not, Star Citizen thread shields deflect everything. Save both your and everyone else energy because the argument is not going to lead anywhere just a bunch of opinions thrown around where nether side is going to go inside the spectrum of divine optimism and ignorant pessimism.

fanboi

Banned
Get out. This thread is all "Yes men", you are arguing against windmills. Whether your arguments are valid or not, Star Citizen thread shields deflect everything. Save both your and everyone else energy because the argument is not going to lead anywhere just a bunch of opinions thrown around where nether side is going to go inside the spectrum of divine optimism and ignorant pessimism.

Ehem, it is a discussion board, we are ment to discuss things

elyetis

Now that I think about it, the really strange thing is how 2.6 actually kind feel like something which will be released after 3.0.

Burny

Dictator has made a semi critical post that wasn't centered around fappable downsampled 32k textures and shaders. There is hope, yet, for a world beyond hte hype, where we actually get to see a MVP Star Citizen of some kind. :p

The time aspect for me really doesn't matter that much. We can see how far it's come and know there is the end goal in sight. Personally as long as they are transparent about it getting a good experience in our hands is more important than when it gets to our hands.

My expectations are:

2.6 in Dec
3.0 in July-Aug
S42 by Holidays 2017

As long as it is good I don't care about waiting.

I had been firmly against asking for a refund. After all, there's a ton of talented people working on the project who aren't at fault for Roberts being Roberts. But with the laughable E3, Gamescom and now Citizencon showings I'm starting to tip here, but aren't there, yet.

This is bait, right?

Raticus79

Not really. I'd say the bigger backers here are generally pretty balanced about it. Gamescom was good, but there isn't much to stand up for here. I feel bad for the people who put in the money to attend expecting the Squadron 42 demo.

Dictator has made a semi critical post that wasn't centered around fappable downsampled 32k textures and shaders. There is hope, yet, for a world beyond hte hype, where we actually get to see a MVP Star Citizen of some kind. :p

Fixed link: http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=219716615

Not really. I'd say the bigger backers here are generally pretty balanced about it. Gamescom was good, but there isn't much to stand up for here. I feel bad for the people who put in the money to attend expecting the Squadron 42 demo

What actually spurred the idea that S42 would be there by the way? I knew from the last showing we'd see an enhanced 3.0 build but don't remember any mention of S42 at all. That said, I don't follow their site anymore. I just wait for the big stream events and check in on the thread here from time to time.

What actually spurred the idea that S42 would be there by the way? I knew from the last showing we'd see an enhanced 3.0 build but don't remember any mention of S42 at all. That said, I don't follow their site anymore. I just wait for the big stream events and check in on the thread here from time to time.

Chris Roberts explicitly saying they'd show a SQ42 mission from briefing until end.

Raticus79

http://www.gamersnexus.net/gg/2613-...-citizen-procedural-planets-alpha3-citizencon
"We're […] taking one of the missions that's in Squadron 42 and showing how that would feel, from the briefing, to the ship, to taking off, to the mission, and the combination of flying and FPS stuff, so those are the two things we're going to show. We're going to show full-focus this is what V2 planets can do for you, then this is what Squadron 42 is going to feel like and play like, and this is the experience of a mission in SQ42."

tuxfool

Banned
Now that I think about it, the really strange thing is how 2.6 actually kind feel like something which will be released after 3.0.

That demo they showed yesterday, has some of the things being integrated in 2.6, so one is dependent on the other, or rather 2.6 is branched off earlier in from the main branch composed of 2.6 features, 3.0 features and beyond.

tl;dr it will be released before 3.0 .

Burny

This is bait, right?

Why would it be?

Laughable E3 as in full-bodied announced by Roberts and then quietly cancelled. Laughable Gamescom as in: Trying to sell a tightly scripted fetch quest tech demo as progress for Star Citizen (same thing they did with the landing approach in 2014, that has never surfaced again) and full-bodied talking it up as "alpha 3.0", supposedly released around end of the year, glossing over the fact that they had announced patches 2.6 and 2.7, which - surprise, suprirse - have missed any estimated ETA they gave them previously. Then there's Citicencon, where they talk more about their forum tech than the effing game, basically fail to mention Squadron 42 despite talking it up previously, show another on foot shooter section that doesn't even stand a comparison to even Crysis 1 FPS gameplay standards. I won't call this one tightly scripted, as the scripting broke during the life demo on stage. For actual demonstrated part, they didn't even care to pretend that this is deliverable game content. But they handily increased scope again, because they implied we'd be seeing boss fights against monsters in the game. Oh, and they showed us editor footage! I'm thrilled. Four years and you have editor footage to show? Are they telling us they can now start developping the game?

Yes, it's laughable and it doesn't look like it's getting better anytime soon.

elco

I think most of us were prepared for S42 to slip till next year, so I'm not too disappointed with that. I am disappointed we haven't seen 2.6 yet. I figured that be on PTU around this time. This makes me feel like 3.0 will be later part of Q1 2017.

elyetis

That demo they showed yesterday, has some of the things being integrated in 2.6, so one is dependent on the other, or rather 2.6 is branched off earlier in from the main branch composed of 2.6 features, 3.0 features and beyond.

tl;dr it will be released before 3.0 .
Of course, It really just that we've seen more from 3.0 with gamescon & citizencon than we saw of 2.6 & star marine recently, even thought if there is no significant delay, should come pretty soon.

But to be fair I don't follow closely the other source of information ( ATV, etc.. ).

Burny

But to be fair I don't follow closely the other source of information ( ATV, etc.. ).

Good. Spares you a lot of lifetime, because that's a lot of dribble and anything interesting gets reposted in here anyway, so you don't need to invest your lifetime watching nuggets like the Roberts .gif above. Leaving you with no solid idea of how the game's going to be actually working from a design perspective (one might presume that they have neither), but with the vague idea that all is going to have the highest fidelity unachievable on today's systems and that they're going to do one more of everthing than anybody else is doing.

Only the first door through which you walk will push you through the station's geometry and kill you, while a year's worth of 30GB updates won't change that.

VulpX

If it's really bothering you that much, why not ask for a refund?
Being that pessimistic about it is bad for your blood pressure ;)

There's a Crowbcat video to be made out of that presentation.

Two hours and thirteen minutes of powerpoint with no game footage, in-depth discussion of social media software, slides detailing endless missed deadlines followed by new deadlines to be missed, Chris on stage swearing, a game demo where the audience cheers whenever a door opens, because the doors in the game at the moment are constantly broken. Chris' nasally singing. Them talking about a new feature of enemies dropping ammo when they die in a game based on CryEngine. A weird nonsequitur where Sandi comes out for no reason and nearly cries. People cheering the game being delayed and then cheering him trashing publishers. An advert for a $750 ship, followed by Chris telling the audience to buy him a lot of drinks afterwards. "Fixing the patcher" getting the loudest cheers. Scripting breaking down with Chris acting as an incredibly over-enthusiastic hypeman. These amazing graphics:

G6AjAGn.jpg

VulpX

Damn, I haven't seen the CitizenCon presentation yet, but that's really depressing to hear after the GamesCom presentation.

Disxo

It wasnt bad :l
The only thing I disliked was how much community was mentioned and the lack of a supercut trailer of SQ 42.

Still, we got kind of a teaser at the end.

Worth noting they edited out what happened in the Youtube upload.

On the Twitch, right after that GIF it all goes wrong, the console opens, the player character spazzed out and started moving around, a cutscene starts with a pan out to orbit with the wrong sounds playing over it, then water on the screen in space, then back to the ground and everything plays again, showing it was just a scripted sequence.

Disxo

Worth noting they edited out what happened in the Youtube upload.

On the Twitch, right after that GIF it all goes wrong, the console opens, the player character spazzed out and started moving around, a cutscene starts with a pan out to orbit with the wrong sounds playing over it, then water on the screen in space, then back to the ground and everything plays again, showing it was just a scripted sequence.
They werent afraid to hide the fact it was scripted tho.
Dont see the problem with hiding a bug that happened on-stage.

Burny

If it's really bothering you that much, why not ask for a refund?
Being that pessimistic about it is bad for your blood pressure ;)

Nope, venting off about the shit they've been pulling for years now from time to time is good for it. ;)

Geist-

My one big question I have for CIG after all of that is: will we have to wait until Gamescom next year to see that demo chapter of SQ42? Because if they almost made it in time for Citizencon, I hope they show it soon, even if it's not for a big convention.

shootfast

My one big question I have for CIG after all of that is: will we have to wait until Gamescom next year to see that demo chapter of SQ42? Because if they almost made it in time for Citizencon, I hope they show it soon, even if it's not for a big convention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHf7LOk7EJo

They were working on it till the last minute before being pulled. So the next big date would be anniversary sale, I can see them releasing a new multiplayer update, star marine and SQ42 vertical slice at the same time.

~Cross~

2.6 should be dropping soon right? I will install again, I think the last time I played was 2014.

Depends on what "soon" means to you. 2.6 isn't in the pipeline yet. It was all hands on deck trying to get the SQ42 presentation up and running for citcon. 2.5x is in the pipeline right now which are changes to the flight systems and its in really early testing.

Give it a few weeks for that to come out in the PTR. Then give it a few weeks after that to get to live. Then a few more weeks for 2.6 to hit avocados. And so on and so forth. End of the year is more likely in some way shape or form.

If it hasn't hit the avocados by early December, then chance are you aren't going to see it in 2016.

Zabojnik

Some impressions:
2. In place of the mission being shown, if they could not due to bugs, they should have just shown off a tiny vignette / supercut trailer of what that looked like. Heck, even just a few images of the old man talking at the screen would not be bad.
3. Planet 2.0 looks really really great. I was really happy to see AI and hints at weather and faun / flora.
3. Planet 2.0 was awesome, but at the same time it was heavily scripted and lacked the multiplayer element, making it seem like it was supposed to actually just be a "side show" for the main SQ42 presentaiton. Which is obvious now.
4. I really hope they show off SQ42 within the next 3 weeks. It would do them well to follow up on this quickly, as another SM situation where we are told we will see it - but never do - would be just silly as all hell.

My thoughts are pretty much in line with Dictator's, as they often are. The impression I got is that the impossibility of showing S42 in a form they deemed acceptable seems to have caught them by surprise and they had to reshuffle their plans for CitizenCon too close to the deadline to come up with a valid alternative in terms of content shown. It would certainly explain why we didn't get to see SM in action, or much of anything else, really.

We know SM is nearing release, so it's not a matter of not having content to show. Hell, excluding the brilliant Planets 2.0 demo, which I think showcases the immense potential of this game better than Alpha 3.0 did, if you're willing to look past the things that aren't there because they simply aren't there yet, we got to see more awesome stuff on AtV over the last couple of months. So it seems quite obvious that the S42 demonstration was supposed to be the centerpiece of CitizenCon 2016 both in the fans' and CIG's minds and not getting to see it can only be categorized as a disappointment.

It's nothing tragic (sorry, Burny <3) and something that can happen when you're juggling too many not-quite-there systems and work-in-progress content. Saying that I expected it would be a straight up lie, but I did have a feeling people were a tad too optimistic about the state of S42, especially when there was talk about the unveiling of a full commercial trailer and the like. I guess the upside is that we'll more than likely get a lot of cool content in AtV over the next 2-3 months, as I think CIG will feel the need to make up for not quite living up to expectations for CitizenCon 2016.

Burny

My god, now i know that you completely do not understand this project and changes that are made to it..

At least I understand believers making excuses for the devs. But that's not your job, I'm afraid. It's the devs' job to silence me by showing some competence for a change. 125$ Mio. and four years post kickstarter development later, CIG have failed even to deliver so much as a non-cringeworthy, halfway polished trailer. Worse, for all their alleged "open development" they have for a year long danced around giving any clear indication of how far Squadron 42 is along, while failing to fix up their broken Alpha 2.x mess.

But I just don't understand game development, right? Right.

Top Bottom