• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 | The 'Verse Awakens

Guys I have been coming here and lurking every one in a while hoping for news of a release date for this game. It appears it won't be anytime soon. Was wanting to know if I van still back this game now and get in line for squadron 42. Is there a possibility for S42 to release in 2017? What about the entire Star Citizen game in 2018?

I need a space game like this in my life. Thanks.

Zalusithix

Guys I have been coming here and lurking every one in a while hoping for news of a release date for this game. It appears it won't be anytime soon. Was wanting to know if I van still back this game now and get in line for squadron 42. Is there a possibility for S42 to release in 2017? What about the entire Star Citizen game in 2018?

You can back the game, but the cheaper starter SC packages don't contain SQ42 by default anymore, and the SQ42 package doesn't include SC. You'd want either the Aurora or Mustang combo pack for $60 to get both. Disregard the more expensive packages and extra ships. They're not needed, and any ship can be obtained in the game without spending a dime beyond the initial starter pack. They're there to allow people to contribute more to the development, but I wouldn't recommend that until people have had time to mess around in the game and become more knowledgeable about it.

Squadron 42 by the very end of 2017 will only happen if we're lucky. It could easily slip into 1H 2018, and there will no doubt be an uproar if it does. Star Citizen full release won't happen in 2018. No way, no how. Talking 2019 best case basis there, but obviously it can be played in pieces leading up to general release. So yeah, if you back, you'll have to prepare yourself for the long haul.

If you do buy in, details about the GAF org are in the OP should you care to join. There's nothing to do org wise in the game right now though, so it's mostly just a social thing until the PU expands more.

Edit: Oh, and if you decide to back the game, use a referral code when you register your account to get $5 worth of UEC free. Not much, but it's something. There's a million and one referral codes floating around out there on Youtube videos and the likes.

You can back the game, but the cheaper starter SC packages don't contain SQ42 by default anymore, and the SQ42 package doesn't include SC. You'd want either the Aurora or Mustang combo pack for $60 to get both. Disregard the more expensive packages and extra ships. They're not needed, and any ship can be obtained in the game without spending a dime beyond the initial starter pack. They're there to allow people to contribute more to the development, but I wouldn't recommend that until people have had time to mess around in the game and become more knowledgeable about it.

Squadron 42 by the very end of 2017 will only happen if we're lucky. It could easily slip into 1H 2018, and there will no doubt be an uproar if it does. Star Citizen full release won't happen in 2018. No way, no how. Talking 2019 best case basis there, but obviously it can be played in pieces leading up to general release. So yeah, if you back, you'll have to prepare yourself for the long haul.

If you do buy in, details about the GAF org are in the OP should you care to join. There's nothing to do org wise in the game right now though, so it's mostly just a social thing until the PU expands more.

Edit: Oh, and if you decide to back the game, use a referral code when you register your account to get $5 worth of UEC free. Not much, but it's something. There's a million and one referral codes floating around out there on Youtube videos and the likes.

Thank you so much for all this information. I think I'm going to back it. Do I get to download and play the current version now if I do so?

Zalusithix

Thank you so much for all this information. I think I'm going to back it. Do I get to download and play the current version now if I do so?

Yes, you'll get immediate access to Star Citizen. As such you'll be able to play Arena Commander (ship arena combat and racing), Star Marine (FPS), and muck around in the current small version of the persistent universe that'll become the basis for the real game (bit of a misnomer there as it's not really persistent yet). Squadron 42 is off limits to everybody until it actually releases.

You'll be initially limited to whatever starter ship you selected for your package, but by playing ranked matches in AC, you can build up REC to rent higher end ships and different weapons. Can also hitch rides on larger multicrew ships in the PU if you find somebody willing to take you (which shouldn't be too hard). Alternatively you could hijack somebody else's ship in the PU, but actions have consequences. Granted the consequences are rather lax right now in the alpha, but I digress...

Beware that the game is a ~30GB download and the launcher doesn't support delta patching yet, so pretty much every minor update requires downloading tens of gigs again. Hopefully they'll have the delta patching in by the time alpha 3.0 rolls around later this year. Should be stable until then at any rate.

Outrun

My advice is wait.

Get it once it is done.

My advice would be to wait too. The game as it stands is not all that friendly to new players.

A lot of the beginning ships are buggy and there is no tutorial. It can be quite a frustrating and disheartening experience for new players right now,IMO.

Just keep an eye on it, 3.0 will change a lot and is scheduled for July I believe. I imagine there will be more sales over time too.

The game is still a very long way out but is exciting to me to watch it grow.

Zalusithix

My advice is wait.

Get it once it is done.
Less risk that way, sure. More costly though in the case that you do end up wanting the finished products. Total decoupling of SC and SQ42 will happen at that point, and you'll be looking at essentially twice the buy in price.

Upsides and downsides to everything.

The middle ground and most rational option would be to wait for a free fly event and form an opinion on what to do from that, but that requires keeping up on the game.

Edit:
Just keep an eye on it, 3.0 will change a lot and is scheduled for July I believe. I imagine there will be more sales over time too.
Ship sales won't matter to somebody needing the initial package, and the major sales that include starter packs like the anniversary/holiday sales at the end of the year don't include SQ42 anymore.

ZLUdVhA.png

iHaunter

It's going to be exciting in a couple of months.

I doubt 3.0 release for June, but probably July. Going to be able to land on moons, planets in 3.1.

AtV had a nice 'hidden' show of Squadron testing. Old man.
vlcsnap-2017-04-28-16f5ksi.png

Wait a second!
hqdefault.jpg

standalone_searchq7k05.png

"Standalone_Search_Chemline" is probably a mission. Standalone is probably the vertical slice?

Zalusithix

Thought they were supposed to look more like the Predator? Hope they are fleshed out as a civilization and just badguys.

They created bespoke written and verbal languages for the alien species. (Transcript) Attention to detail and fleshed out lore isn't exactly something they're lacking in SC. There's already lots of information about the Vanduul and their society (tribal, militaristic, etc), and I'm sure there will be more revealed about them in SQ42.

tuxfool

Banned
Now going for the salivating more animal looking doesn't excite me as much as them being more complex in motives.

Now you're just being mean. How would you feel as a human if some alien came up to you and said you looked like a stupid hairless ape?

No the Vanduul, roam and pillage their way through space, for rationality (as you understand it) you need to look at the other races

I meant more as being a rational civilzation and not just being the "bad guys." Earlier we get designs like:

Now going for the salivating more animal looking doesn't excite me as much as them being more complex in motives.

Google search helps as well

http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Vanduul

Rob Irving said:
The Vanduul motivation is not pure bloodthirstiness - they're after resources, rather than just kill tallies. So they're more interested in getting you out of the way quickly than just running around playing whack-a-pilot.

The Vanduul is the major villians of the S42 storyline and in there are more information about them and the history in RSI. More than the Tevarin. And the UEE had not one but two wars with the Tevarin.

Zalusithix

Yeah, the Vanduul are humans amped to 11 when it comes to resource usage. Encounter planet. -> Strip mine that sucker until it's a husk. Any other life on that planet is forfeit - human or otherwise.

Have I missed, or are we approaching any big streams? Still lurking waiting on that next big thing. Can be sure I'll be back for 3.0 of course. Hopefully it will be easier to get a group together in a server by then and actually mess around in the GAF group for a bit. Speaking of which, is stability improving or is that still in with the 3.0 patch?

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Have I missed, or are we approaching any big streams? Still lurking waiting on that next big thing. Can be sure I'll be back for 3.0 of course. Hopefully it will be easier to get a group together in a server by then and actually mess around in the GAF group for a bit. Speaking of which, is stability improving or is that still in with the 3.0 patch?

Nah, it'll be quiet for a bit I think. GamesCom in August and then CitizenCon in October.

I think there's still a remote chance that CIG shows up at the inevitable PC conference at E3 and gives a short presentation.

It would make up for them bailing out at the last minute last year. But PC gamer probably wants some re-assurance this year. Is Day9 hosting it again? Hell, is it happening at all?

Edit: it is! And Day9 is hosting again! #bless

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
It would make up for them bailing out at the last minute last year. But PC gamer probably wants some re-assurance this year. Is Day9 hosting it again? Hell, is it happening at all?

Yep and yep. http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...th-intel-as-presenting-sponsor-300451303.html

The PC Gaming Show Returns to E3 with Intel as Presenting Sponsor

LOS ANGELES, May 4, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- The PC Gaming Show returns in 2017 as part of the official E3 conference schedule. In partnership with Intel as the presenting sponsor, the third annual PC Gaming Show will take place live from The Theatre at Ace Hotel in Los Angeles on Monday, June 12 at 10am PDT. The event will be hosted by PC fan-favorite, Sean "Day[9]" Plott and will showcase exclusive announcements, trailers and discussion from many of the most exciting developers and projects on the platform.

For more information and to register for press or content creator access, please visit: www.PCGamingShow.com and follow #pcgamingshow. For consumers interested in attending the show, please visit: www.PCGamingShow.com/tickets.

Celebrating PC gaming, which is enjoyed by 1.2 billion players worldwide, the PC Gaming Show brings together the best and brightest in the fastest-growing segment of the gaming industry. PC Gaming Show's online viewership has increased each year since the show's debut in 2015, and the show will reflect innovations across the industry with increased VR and esports content.

"We're delighted to host another event that will give PC gaming the presence at E3 it deserves," said PC Gamer's global editor in chief Tim Clark. "Since its inception, the PC Gaming Show's goal has been to demonstrate the depth and breadth of creativity on the platform."

PC gamers will be able to attend in person or watch the show on twitch.tv/pcgamer. The event will also be hosted on the Twitch homepage as part of the official E3 programming. To reach more fans worldwide than ever before, the PC Gaming Show will also be available through a variety of additional platforms including Facebook Live, YouTube Gaming and Microsoft Beam.

"The PC Gaming Show gives an incredible voice to the PC gaming community and Intel is excited to work alongside our industry partners to showcase the strength of the platform," said Gregory Bryant, corporate vice president within CCG at Intel Corporation. "The state of innovation on the PC has never been stronger and we're thrilled to share what's next at E3."

Organized by PC Gamer, with support from Presenting Partner, Intel, the third annual PC Gaming Show will see participation from returning partners Bohemia Interactive and Tripwire Interactive and some new, including Cygames and Nexon. Further participants will be announced in the coming weeks.

I hope this year we will get release date of Squadron 42 or at least some gameplay demonstration. Something ponderable.

I think they had enought time to produce minimum 70% of single player campaign.

But the game is still in average dev time though.

This isn't true though, is it? They're over 4.5 years in, and the game is still years out from beta, let alone release - even if we are charitable and shave a couple of years off for building a studio, they're still running close to standard 3-year AAA dev time for a completed game and have at best produced a very small tech demo with less than 1% of the content, broken netcode and physics, and about 5% of the game mechanics.

Top Bottom