• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 | The 'Verse Awakens

It wasn't ambition, he is a compulsive liar and self-aggrandizer. See fake doctorate and the "neural net" claims.

Politics aside, you can see many similarities with Trump's behaviour, such as:

• outrageous statements packed with half-a-dozen blatant (and above all, completely unneeded) falsehoods
  • projection (everything he's accused CIG of being, he's done word-for-word)
  • reality-warping reasoning when the fruits of his labours and his past statements collide
  • unhealthy OTT obsessions
There's still some old Smart forums up, or you could just browse his behaviour on the more recent Steam discussions, but there's layer upon layer of stupidity and hypocrisy that gets lost from all the stories over time.

Dude he has his own forum. Where he literally talks to himself. It's pathetic and he doxxes developers and harasses/stalks Chris Roberts, wife. Who is equally the person that got the whole project into the space it is now. With all its accumulated budget, front facing community work and general marketing at the beginning. Now she has help with her own staff.

DS is a piece of work. Anyone that takes his word or his word salads as true, need to look at his past and why he's blacklisted. From the industry.

zFKYAAY.gif

I'm assuming this is low gravity? That person jumping towards the middle of the gif looks like he flaps his arms after jumping and floats back down.

Ugh, i wish it was a better capture!

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
It didn't look like a jump at all. Didn't bend the knees just floated. The thrusters don't have that much force do they? Maybe the gravitational strength on that moon is closer to earth but not as strong. 80% maybe?

Oh yeah, could be explained by still using thrusters on the way down too, just not as much.

Gamestar: 3.1 "hopefully" this year according to CIG

Man, remember when we were supposed to get 3.1, 3.2, 3.3 and 4.0 this year? Or Erins mention of "three major updates this year" more recently?

And these are the 2017 watered down versions of these updates where all of the planets and moons have been removed and features pushed back so that 3.2 is basically the featureset that 3.0 was supposed to have.

I bet Gamestars PR piece in 2018 will not ask any questions about the failure for the stuff they were shown in 2016 to turn up. Why does no one ask tough questions with these guys?

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Gamestar created a PR headache by messing up the 5-10 systems question, talked about a bunch of non-working parts of the 3.0 demo and asked about the Squadron 42 mission demo. The "shill magazine" angle is a bit shaky these days.

Zabojnik

Gamestar: 3.1 "hopefully" this year according to CIG

Man, remember when we were supposed to get 3.1, 3.2, 3.3 and 4.0 this year? Or Erins mention of "three major updates this year" more recently?

And these are the 2017 watered down versions of these updates where all of the planets and moons have been removed and features pushed back so that 3.2 is basically the featureset that 3.0 was supposed to have.

I bet Gamestars PR piece in 2018 will not ask any questions about the failure for the stuff they were shown in 2016 to turn up. Why does no one ask tough questions with these guys?
Johnny, this can't be healthy for you. At some point you'll have to let it go. CIG are terrible with dates, news at 11. Some (most?) of it has to do with the insane scope and nature of the project, some of it can be chalked down to wishful thinking, mismanagement, maybe even wilful deceiving, depending on who you ask. We've been over this a thousand times, 900+ of which was you. It's time to change the fucking record m8, lest we'll be running around in circles forever.

Johnny, this can't be healthy for you. At some point you'll have to let it go. CIG are terrible with dates, news at 11. Some (most?) of it has to do with the insane scope and nature of the project, some of it can be chalked down to wishful thinking, mismanagement, maybe even wilful deceiving, depending on who you ask. We've been over this a thousand times, 900+ of which was you. It's time to change the fucking record m8, lest we'll be running around in circles forever.

Well what do you want me to post instead dude? There's not a lot of good news coming out of the project at the moment - I can only work with what I'm given.

Zabojnik

Well what do you want me to post instead dude? There's not a lot of good news coming out of the project at the moment - I can only work with what I'm given.

You could, you know, not post. Gather your thoughts for a while and come back stronger than ever. Allah knows 3.0 will provide you with all the ammo you need. Just a suggestion.

Literally all you ever do in here is complain. It's exhausting as fuck for everyone else because every time a discussion about anything gets going you come back with a wall of the same shit yet again. And the frequency has increased so much that it's hard to work out whether we talk more about the game or about your disappointment.

It's fine to be critical but we are just running in circles here.

Hey dude, don't shoot the messenger.

The 5-10 systems thing, the delays, the cut down content, all of that is right from the devs mouth. What's all the corresponding good news I haven't been posting for "balance", exactly?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
You're not required to post in this thread, RJ. There's no quota for you to meet. Clearly, people are not happy with your contributions here. That normally should be a signal to lie low.

And it's not like there's no good news about Star Citizen. Friday's progress report showed that the following tasks were completed:

• Entity Update Component Scheduler (Core Tech)
  • Item 2.0 UI (MFDs) (UI)
  • StarMap App (UI)
  • Behring P4-AR (rework) (Ships & Weapons)
All of that is good news. That's four fewer things getting in the way of CIG releasing the 3.0 patch. Awesome.

What do people feel about getting 3.0 as the only PU update this year?

Like there's a lot of hostility towards me, but not a lot of actual reaction.

If you don't like the news it should really be directed against the cause - i.e. CIG.

Without getting into the bizarre personal relationship dynamics of this OT, there's no harm in discussing news, even if it's broken promises and you're "used" to it because CIG is consistently unreliable when it comes to dates.

RubberJohnny's post would be seen as perfectly fine in 99% of threads in Gaming (I/ED-GAF have said faaaaar "worse" about Elite in that OT). His history here clearly has an effect on that perception, but just ignore him, figuratively or literally, if you don't want to engage him.

Akronis

Without getting into the bizarre personal relationship dynamics of this OT, there's no harm in discussing news, even if it's broken promises and you're "used" to it because CIG is consistently unreliable when it comes to dates.

RubberJohnny's post would be seen as perfectly fine in 99% of threads in Gaming (I/ED-GAF have said faaaaar "worse" about Elite in that OT). His history here clearly has an effect on that perception, but just ignore him, figuratively or literally, if you don't want to engage him.

He was spreading falsehoods about the loan debacle weeks ago. And was proven wrong. And continued to post about it despite being wrong.

He's not posting about any of this stuff in good conscious.

Exactly, and this need for Star Citizen to have a "safe space" appears across all their online communities, because unlike other games they're so heavily invested and much more defensive, and the development is such an obvious mess that of course reality keeps creeping in.

I mean, that NeoGAF fleet, that was what, at least $30k worth?

He was spreading falsehoods about the loan debacle weeks ago. And was proven wrong. And continued to post about it despite being wrong.

Good "conscious" aside, I posted some speculation that was inaccurate and owned up to it. But the inaccuracies were due to the legal terms being defined in a private document, so no one could have done any better with the information available. The actual discussion of the loan was factual, as shown by CIG CFO Ortwin Freyermuth confirming that they'd put up all assets relating to F42 and SQ42 as collateral.

tuxfool

Banned

People in other threads get banned for constantly pushing falsehoods, despite being disproven. When people ask for receipts, bullshit starts anew. About the ED thread, it doesn't make it ok just because it *also* happens in that other thread.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Exactly, and this need for Star Citizen to have a "safe space" appears across all their online communities, because unlike other games they're so heavily invested and much more defensive, and the development is such an obvious mess that of course reality keeps creeping in.

I mean, that NeoGAF fleet, that was what, at least $30k worth?

Good "conscious" aside, I posted some speculation that was inaccurate and owned up to it. But the inaccuracies were due to the legal terms being defined in a private document, so no one could have done any better with the information available. The actual discussion of the loan was factual, as shown by CIG CFO Ortwin Freyermuth confirming that they'd put up all assets relating to F42 and SQ42 as collateral.

You insisted that putting those assets up as collateral meant the company was in dire financial straits and there was no way it would simply be a reasonable move to make use of a financial instrument intelligently. And you were wrong. And I don't remember ever seeing you own up to anything.

Also, don't pull out that safe space bullshit. You badger this thread almost daily. It's beyond healthy criticism.

Hey dude, don't shoot the messenger.

The 5-10 systems thing, the delays, the cut down content, all of that is right from the devs mouth. What's all the corresponding good news I haven't been posting for "balance", exactly?

We're close to having 3.0 in our hands now. Yeah it's late by about half a year and that's inherently going to disappoint some. But we're about to get a much better idea of how everything is coming together for the end user soon.

I know for some too the shrink in systems is going to be a let down. But it's hard for me to be disappointed by it. I'd rather start with 5-10 systems that are well fleshed out than a hundred barebones ones. And I personally never saw how starting at that quantity was going to happen with the level of detail they want.

As long as we get quality then quantity is less of an issue to me. That's my view anyway. The only real disappointment for me is delays because I'd like to be playing it now. But I can wait too. E:D taught me it's not about when you count the release as, but rather what the package includes.

You insisted

Speculated. Even the title had caveats.

And I don't remember ever seeing you own up to anything.

Read back in the thread.

I know for some too the shrink in systems is going to be a let down. But it's hard for me to be disappointed by it. I'd rather start with 5-10 systems that are well fleshed out than a hundred barebones ones. And I personally never saw how starting at that quantity was going to happen with the level of detail they want.

This 5-10 systems will have more content than 100 systems thing isn't backed up by anything, it's just a nonsense justification out of nowhere.

They set out the content for one system to have out of their 100 procgen systems at Gamescom 2016, it's 4 planets with landing zones, a dozen moons and 40 space stations with "numerous" points of interest on the surface.

They set out the content for one system to have out of their 5-10 systems in the schedule in 2017, it's 4 planets with landing zones, a dozen moons and 40 space stations with "numerous" points of interest on the surface.

Nothing has changed on a per-star-system content level.

Read back in the thread.

This 5-10 systems will have more content than 100 systems thing isn't backed up by anything, it's just a nonsense justification out of nowhere.

They set out the content for one system to have out of their 100 procedural systems at Gamescom 2016, it's four planets with landing zones, a dozen moons and forty space stations with "numerous" points of interest on the surface.

They set out the content for one system to have out of their 5-10 systems in the schedule in 2017, it's four planets with landing zones, a dozen moons and forty space stations with "numerous" points of interest on the surface.

Nothing has changed on a per-star-system content level.

You're misunderstanding me. The four planets with landing zones etc, moved up to a scale of 100 systems would inevitiibly end in a whole load of copy paste that isn't well hidden IMO. I'd rather they have a smaller amount to work on that feel unique than spread all that work out over 100 different systems. That's how we've ended up with a number of procedural tech that feels to samey. Hopefully with more hands on less work this will be less of an issue.

People in other threads get banned for constantly pushing falsehoods, despite being disproven. When people ask for receipts, bullshit starts anew. About the ED thread, it doesn't make it ok just because it *also* happens in that other thread.

Re: ED, my point is, those are all valid statements, regardless of who posts them. If ED, or *any* game development was consistently missing target dates/milestones, I think their fanbase would be right in calling them out on it. In fact, I'd wager that most communities *do* call them out. ED got "smart" with Season 3, by basically not announcing anything at all (lol)...which has its own set of problems/frustrations/wtf. We rightfully bitch about it all the time.

It's obvious that RubberJohnny doesn't believe in SC. I don't think even he would question that. That doesn't mean his statements are always invalid. Then again, y'all are much more acquainted with him in terms of discussion/arguments, so I wouldn't fault you for wanting to ignore him. But in that case, just ignore him. The news he posted, as well as his own opinion on that news, is valid.

I'm just saying it's weird to meet a fairly reasonable post (about missing more deadlines) with outright derision or hostility.

tuxfool

Banned
I'm just saying it's weird to meet a fairly reasonable post (about missing more deadlines) with outright derision or hostility.
People earn respect by the honest exchange of ideas and conversation. But that doesn't happen. If somebody acts like a brick wall, posts disingenuous dubbish, refuses to take feedback from others then people stop respecting that person regardless of what they say.

No nobody is really interested in what they say because the way they engage isn't designed for engagement.

Akronis

Re: ED, my point is, those are all valid statements, regardless of who posts them. If ED, or *any* game development was consistently missing target dates/milestones, I think their fanbase would be right in calling them out on it. In fact, I'd wager that most communities *do* call them out. ED got "smart" with Season 3, by basically not announcing anything at all (lol)...which has its own set of problems/frustrations/wtf. We rightfully bitch about it all the time.

It's obvious that RubberJohnny doesn't believe in SC. I don't think even he would question that. That doesn't mean his statements aren't always valid. Then again, y'all are much more acquainted with him in terms of discussion/arguments, so I wouldn't fault you for wanting to ignore him. But in that case, just ignore him. The news he posted, as well as his own opinion on that news, is valid.

The only things he's interested in discussing is how shit CIG is at this point. Context matters; his past doesn't indicate to me that any legitimate discussion will be had.

Regardless of whether or not his posts are valid, the very clear agenda he pushes makes people not want to engage at all.

I think this project has its problems, but I'd imagine that a company like Rockstar or Bethesda would go through similar problems internally. It's just that most of this is public.

Also, don't pull out that safe space bullshit.

Again, I wasn't just referring to here (although this thread maintains a Discord as an explicit safe space).

It's all SC sites, on reddit they have to say how long they were a backer and how much money they have invested before saying even a milquetoast criticism because otherwise they'd be shouted down. SC backers mention SC in other places to get poeple aboard, working together to push up positive comments. I don't see this with other games.

That's why there's been so much drama over the recent bad news, it all comes directly from the devs, so they can't blame it on an evil outsider, and the usual attempts to browbeat dissenters into unity are failing, because the community has been talking up for so long how it's worth the wait for procgen because the tech will allow them to put out content so fast, only for the decreased scope to undermine all that.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

And I don't remember ever seeing you own up to anything.

Read back in the thread.

Don't make me do your work for you. You have a responsibility to defend yourself. Link me to all the posts you made owning up to your misinformation.

Again, I wasn't just referring to here (although this thread maintains a Discord as an explicit safe space).

It's all SC sites, on reddit they have to say how long they were a backer and how much money they have invested before saying even a milquetoast criticism because otherwise they'd be shouted down. SC backers mention SC in other places to get poeple aboard, working together to push up positive comments. I don't see this with other games.

That's why there's been so much drama over the recent bad news, it all comes directly from the devs, so they can't blame it on an evil outsider, and the usual attempts to browbeat dissenters into unity are failing, because the community has been talking up for so long how it's worth the wait for procgen because the tech will allow them to put out content so fast, only for the decreased scope to undermine all that.

Discord, Reddit and all SC sites have no bearing on NeoGAF. They're off-site. When you mentioned "safe space" you were referring to this thread on NeoGAF.

Akronis

I'm breaking my rule to respond once to you.

One of the most upvoted posts on the subreddit is complaining about their marketing team.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/66qrlc/cig_your_marketing_is_too_far_ahead_of_itself/

Another one complaining about shitty CitizenCon:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/56pfe9/you_guys_are_going_to_hate_me_but_citizencon/

"Safe space" indeed.

I'm breaking my rule to respond once to you.

Another one complaining about shitty CitizenCon:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/56pfe9/you_guys_are_going_to_hate_me_but_citizencon/

"Safe space" indeed.

None of those are to do with the actual game development, which is the thing that's the actual problem.

Like even CIG admit that Citicon is crap and pulled the video, agreeing with them is not exactly "sticking it to the man", is it? It's just another example of being in lockstep.

Rephrase "the marketing is too far ahead" around the actual problem as the "game is too far behind its own goals" and see where that gets you.

Akronis

None of those are to do with the actual game development, which is the thing that's the actual problem.

Like even CIG admit that Citicon is crap and pulled the video, agreeing with them is not exactly "sticking it to the man", is it?

Rephrase "the marketing is too far ahead" as the "game is too far behind its own goals" and see where that gets you.

You stated criticism. I posted criticism. Don't move the goalposts when you're proven wrong.

elyetis

Gamescon and Citizencon should bring us some good news.
It's not really that AtV bring bad news, far from it, but at the same time not everyone can still be amazed by it when it's mostly about things which were originaly expected to be played 7-8 month ago.
And since during that time other part of the game developpement is kept hidden from us, it can be hard to keep the hype going, even more so when some "bad news" happen during that drought.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

So let's take a look at this.

Look, I might have been wrong on a few things here, but I don't think my accuracy level is any different from the SC supporters, it's just that my posts are questioned for accuracy and theirs aren't. How many backers in here insisted that SQ42 was coming in 2015, then 2016? Or that 3.0 with the whole Stanton system was coming in 2016?

You say you might have been wrong, as if you're not sure, but only on a few things, and you don't even name what those things are. And you immediately follow that up with comparing your possible inaccuracy to those of strawman SC supporters. Then you ask metaphorical questions about metaphorical people metaphorically insisting that SQ42 was coming in various years — which, I might add, would have been based on CIG's own estimates, not based on tales from your ass like your assertions about the Foundry 42 loan were.

This is hardly owning up to anything at all.

You say you might have been wrong, as if you're not sure, but only on a few things, and you don't even name what those things are. And you immediately follow that up with comparing your possible inaccuracy to those of strawman SC supporters.

Strawman supporters? I use actual quotes from actual supporters about how they've been consistently wrong about the project all down that page, to suggest that people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. You can click on any of the quotes on that page and go back and see the date of when they were sent.

You never been wrong about the project Danthrax? You nor got a single post in this thread or the last one saying something is coming at one of CR's dates? Because the difference is, only one of us is being personally attacked and called out. On that page I put the shoe on the other foot and they didn't like it one bit.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Strawman supporters? I use actual quotes from actual supporters about how they've been consistently wrong about the project all down that page, to suggest that people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

You can click on any of the quotes on that page and go back and see the date of when they were sent.

I mean you only posted on that thread three times, and I only see you calling out KKT on a post from like a year ago. One GAFfer's post one year ago isn't quite the same scope as saying "I don't think my accuracy level is any different from the SC supporters, it's just that my posts are questioned for accuracy and theirs aren't."

And what about your failure to definitively admit to being wrong about any specific thing? You didn't quote that part of my post:

You say you might have been wrong, as if you're not sure, but only on a few things, and you don't even name what those things are.

[edit] Oh, you edited in more to your post.

You never been wrong about the project Danthrax? You nor got a single post in this thread or the last one saying something is coming at one of CR's dates? Because the difference is, only one of us is being personally attacked and called out. On that page I put the shoe on the other foot and they didn't like it one bit.

This isn't about me, it's about you and about why people don't like you posting in this thread.

This isn't about me, it's about you and about why people don't like you posting in this thread.

Er, it's about people who are wrong sometimes, which includes most of this thread.

Isn't it a bit hypocritical that those wrong about dates, about what's on the website, about what's been promised aren't getting this grief, but those a bit more critical about the progress are?

Does that maybe not speak to that anger not being about getting things wrong, but the thread itself not tolerating criticism?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Er, it's about people who are wrong sometimes, which includes most of this thread.

Isn't it a bit hypocritical that those wrong about dates, about what's on the website, about what's been promised aren't getting this grief, but those a bit more critical about the progress are?

Does that maybe not speak to that anger not being about getting things wrong, but the thread itself not tolerating criticism?

Nope. Once again, you're dealing with hypothetical people doing hypothetical things rather than giving real examples, but I'll say that it's all about being in good faith — or not. When a hypothetical person says something like "this next patch should be out in a month," they likely do so in good faith without the intention of spreading doom and gloom. It would be rude to quote them a month later and say "you got it wrong, how could you? Apologize"

You do not seem to post in good faith. When you post, it seems to be for the purposes of spreading doom and gloom — and sometimes misinformation, as in the case of your, as you say, "speculations" that Foundry 42 was in financial trouble and taking nonprudent risks. You never discuss anything about Star Citizen that's positive — tellingly, you never responded to my examples of things listed in Friday's progress report that have been finished.

You've talked about bringing "balance" to the thread. Well there needs to be balance to your posts, too. If you'd mixed in some discussion of exciting things about Star Citizen with the bad news, you wouldn't have gained a reputation for being a shitposter in this thread. That's not about this thread being a "safe space," that's about you posting in good faith rather than appearing to have a FUD-spreading agenda.

but I'll say that it's all about being in good faith — or not. When a hypothetical person says something like "this next patch should be out in a month," they likely do so in good faith without the intention of spreading doom and gloom. It would be rude to quote them a month later and say "you got it wrong, how could you? Apologize"

Hang on, your definition of "good faith" is "not criticising the project?"

I don't think that people painting a picture that CIG have done more than they actually have, that big releases are just around the corner, are doing so in good faith, many times they're doing so explicitly to get other people to buy in and saying that none of the criticisms have value:

Expect something like early 2017 [for SQ42]. But we should see a whole lot of new things at Gamescom

Didn't they say the single player is coming out late 2016?

So it's only few months to get your hands on the game and everything should be clear at that point.

They are well advanced on the mining and they have been working on the economy system for years now.

You will be able to do everything you saw in this video in one play session theoretically in a few months when Alpha 3.0 drops.

Are you asking me if all that they say they are going to put into 3.0 will be there? Uh... yes. They are fairly good at that with the exception of Star Marine.

let me clarify a bit. It is not that they won't be able to miss a release date, I am simply of the opinion that it is underestimated the amount of content already made, and also underestimated the milestones they have overcome. remember that they state with 3.0 the Stanton system comes online with Hurston, Microtech, Crusader, Delamare, Arc Corp, a dozen moons and over 30 space stations to explore. We still have yet to see Nyx and other areas despite seeing the work on them in ATV's. They have alot of stuff underway for quite some time.

Landing on planets will be possible with 3.0 Alpha.
There will be planets with vegetation and creatures, maybe not in 3.0 Alpha, but definitely at the beginning of the next year.

Really none of that is the case, 3.0 is massively cut down and delayed, they're struggling to do even the cut down content they've promised, they admitted in Feb they hadn't done any code for the economy or any of the careers, etc. This isn't just on this forum, how many SC Youtubers stick to marketing materials from Gamescom or Citicon with all the bugs edited out rather than the stuff from the alpha which you can actually play to paint a rosier picture and make money from referrals than show the dismal reality about the project?

EDIT: Spoiler tags don't work on blocks of quotes, it seems

Akronis

Hang on, your definition of "good faith" is "not criticising the project?"

I don't think that people painting a picture that CIG have done more than they actually have, that big releases are just around the corner, are doing so in good faith, many times they're doing so explicitly to get other people to buy in and saying that none of the criticisms have value:

People have been pretty clear on what's currently playable when other people come into the thread and are interested.

I'm not sure how you even come to the conclusion that everyone that's positive in this thread is clearly trying to sell ships like we're astroturfing.

duckroll

Okay, this is getting silly. RubberJohnny, it is clear no one in this thread wants you here any longer. Discussions are two way. It's not about there being a safe space or whatever. If you go into a room and NO ONE wants to talk to you at all, and you are the only one who wants to keep going at something, maybe it's time to leave.

Alternatively, maybe if everyone in the thread really doesn't want to talk to him anymore, and there is literally no one in the thread interested in the things he is posting, maybe just ignore him completely instead of replying, and let him just post whatever he wants without any response? That seems healthier than continuing to argue with him over his sad presence in the thread.

New ATV coming today.

And they are retroactively adding in LTI to those that purchased Ursa Rover in the past. Of course with Disco Lando giving the reminder..

This is a good chance to remind people that LTI is only the smallest of conveniences, and functions identically to all other pledge-based insurances we offer. The only difference it a renewal fee that we anticipate will be moderate in-game. Your vehicle is no less secure with 6-month insurance than it is with LTI.

Top Bottom