• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 | The 'Verse Awakens

Pomerlaw

Watching the 12-person servers need to be restarted every 15 minutes because of memory leaks, and ships clip entirely through the game world. Amazing.

At least Battlefront 2 looks fun

They are not even close from being the same type of game. Are you new to this?

how many people can the Gamescom build handle? previous reports indicated they had issues handling more than 12 people. does that still hold true?

Outrun

Hey, we haven't seen that Bengal Carrier for a bit.

I sure hope that they place a couple of derelict carriers around the universe, like they originally stated they would do.

Yes have you ever played a early access game or a game in alpha? there will be bugs and shit.

I 100% knew the answer was going to be this. These are not mere bugs, these are spaceships clipping through everything after 5 years, and cars flying, and doors broken. This isn't acceptable, unless you're aiming for a 2030 release. But go ahead and tell me how I don't know anything about game development.

EDIT : I have around 5800 steam games, many early access, nothing as broken as this after so much time and money.

Dmax3901

I 100% knew the answer was going to be this. These are not mere bugs, these are spaceships clipping through everything after 5 years, and cars flying, and doors broken. This isn't acceptable, unless you're aiming for a 2030 release. But go ahead and tell me how I don't know anything about game development.

EDIT : I have around 5800 steam games, many early access, nothing as broken as this after so much time and money.

Name one of those 5000 games that's trying to do something even remotely close to what Star Citizen is doing.

Zambayoshi

Long story short: 3.0 isn't ready otherwise it would have been with evocati long before now. It is not being played at Gamescom. What is being played is a small 'level' with some 3.0 features but not all.

Will be interesting to see Chris's presentation and whether he shows off more of 3.0. Of course, it goes without saying that what he shows will have been groomed and sanitised to within an inch of its life. If there are any major bugs or crashes in his presentation, it will not look good.

Last but not least, I would not expect to see 3.0 released to the public before Citizencon, and I'm pretty sure that is what they will be madly working towards, even as Gamescom draws to a close.

Damn all you guys. Spewing the same stuff day in and day out. Such a drag to sift through. Show me on this doll where the game touched you?

Enjoyin' the little slice of 3.0 that they have been showing. The Cutlass looks fantastic. I look forward to hopefully seeing something new come there presentation, but who knows.

And what is Star Citizen managing to do?

Go do some research on the game before commenting in a thread about it...use google or find a wiki or something.

Because you're clearly not informed at all. Yet here you are wasting people's time.

I have around 5800 steam games, many early access, nothing as broken as this after so much time and money

You know nothing about game development and that's clear as shit here. What do you do on the gaming side of neogaf? the information is plentiful in regards to the the subject in question and on the interwebs. So the double standards really need to stop.

Ganyc

Damn all you guys. Spewing the same stuff day in and day out. Such a drag to sift through. Show me on this doll where the game touched you?

Enjoyin' the little slice of 3.0 that they have been showing. The Cutlass looks fantastic. I look forward to hopefully seeing something new come there presentation, but who knows.

maybe it is time for a star citizen thread in the community section? It's way to toxic in here.

jup, the stream yesterday was very great and had shown many funny moment. The Brian Chambers interview was good too.

btw don't forget: today Erin will be on the stream and Chris has an interview on the gamestar live stream

Chipopo

Banned
This new Planetside 2 expansion has potential, but seems to have a lot less content and gameplay features then previous iterations. Hopefully it hasn't been in development for all that long.

This new Planetside 2 expansion has potential, but seems to have a lot less content and gameplay features then previous iterations. Hopefully it hasn't been in development for all that long.

Do something else with your time then shit posting in this thread.

maybe it is time for a star citizen thread in the community section? It's way to toxic in here.

tenor.gif

fanboi

Banned

For a guy who has put down 43,2 hours into Duke Nukem Forever... I don't trust you.

For a guy who has put down 43,2 hours into Duke Nukem Forever... I don't trust you.

That's fair enough lol And I could say that it was idling for cards or something, but the truth is I actually enjoyed the game (probably most of that time as alt-tabbed, but still...). Shame on me :D

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Jesus christ, the comments

The top comment about the flight physics is valid though and something I'm also concerned about. However I'm also relieved that the general consensus is that atmospheric flight and the physics model is nowhere near complete and the devs may have had to tone it all down (or up?) to rush it in a playable state for Gamescom.

My earlier question about this was really hoping that someone could point me to an Around the Verse episode that confirms that this is indeed the case.

The top comment about the flight physics is valid though and something I'm also concerned about. However I'm also relieved that the general consensus is that atmospheric flight and the physics model is nowhere near complete and the devs may have had to tone it all down (or up?) to rush it in a playable state for Gamescom.

My earlier question about this was really hoping that someone could point me to an Around the Verse episode that confirms that this is indeed the case.

I'd like to see that as well. The flight model is something that absolutely needs to be changed.

tuxfool

Banned
1) The moon doesn't have earth gravity. AFAIK

2) Correspondingly it also doesn't have the same atmospheric density.

3) There isn't proper aerodynamic flight in this game, only drag and some lift.

Given these factors I don't know where things stand. It is in that build, don't know if it is final or not.

kmag

The flight model has consistently stopped me getting into this game. Although I'd argue to this point at least it's been getting incrementally better.

Eolz

Given these factors I don't know where things stand. It is in that build, don't know if it is final or not.

As you said, it is basically linked to the atmosphere density of the planet, which shouldn't be much there.
And of course, this will keep getting tweaked and tuned according to feedback from players, so 3.0 is not the final version of atmospheric flight.

The flight model has consistently stopped me getting into this game. Although I'd argue to this point at least it's been getting incrementally better.

Well that's good to hear that you find it getting better at least :p

elyetis

Even if it's not realistic, I'd like slower acceleration at least from a landed position, across the board.. even in space, it just looks better.

Maybe with an explanation along the line of the engines taking a little time to get their full potential when you turn them on.. or something like that.

That GameStar interview with Chris is today, right?
Yeah hopefully it gets put up soon

Truth be told. It feels like, I haven't seen Chris in full Chrisness in forever lol. It was crazy how many interviews he was doing in 2015 and 2016, when I think about it. Now, not so much and that may have be/been for the better.

Outrun

Yeah hopefully it gets put up soon

Truth be told. It feels like, I haven't seen Chris in full Chrisness in forever lol. It was crazy how many interviews he was doing in 2015 and 2016, when I think about it. Now, not so much and that may have be/been for the better.

Hey Cabbagehead.

Is what we are seeing at Gamescom similar to what you saw at your visit? Or was that stuff more advanced?

I know you can't do into details :)

Spuck-uk

Banned
They are not even close from being the same type of game. Are you new to this?

Yes who could possibly compare multi player space based fat future fps/spaceship shooting games. If there's anything more to SC then they sure as shit haven't shown it.

Are you new to computer games?

tuxfool

Banned
Yes who could possibly compare multi player space based fat future fps/spaceship shooting games. If there's anything more to SC then they sure as shit haven't shown it.

Are you new to computer games?

People might have taken you seriously if you compared it to Elite.

Are you seriously an ex-game developer? You certainly shit post like a deluded 12 year old.

Spuck-uk

Banned

Are you seriously an ex-game developer? You certainly shit post like a deluded 12 year old.

Stop projecting because your game looks bad. Fans of the game really are unable to take any criticism of it huh?

Comparing two games that are set in space, have mixed flight/vehicle/on-foot combat, and relatively small scale multiplayer combat is entirely fair. Yes I know that Star Citizen is aiming to have more, but right now it's five years in development and that's what they have to show.

I do feel for my mate who's been doing 60 hour weeks to make the Gamescom build possible. At this point I wish they could cut back to just making Squadron 42, they have the tech to knock that out of the park, but we haven't seen anything of it in what, 18 months?

belvedere

Junior Butler
Good lord. Please don't let what happened to the early NMS threads happen here. There needs to be a dedicated cesspool thread for those of you who need to endlessly, negatively speculate and complain.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Good lord. Please don't let what happened to the early NMS threads happen here. There needs to be a dedicated cesspool thread for those of you who need to endlessly, negatively speculate and complain.

Is it speculation if I'm literally watching the terribleness on offer at Gamescom and responding to personal attacks?

Or is this a criticism free zone?

belvedere

Junior Butler
Is it speculation if I'm literally watching the terribleness on offer at Gamescom and responding to personal attacks?

Or is this a criticism free zone?

Since 99% of your posts are also speculative, hyperbolic complaints, most likely.

The predictability of your posts are a testament to this. You have more in common with the typical YouTube comment posters than those following Gamescom coverage here and on Reddit. These aren't criticism-free zones, there's plenty of criticality going around but at least most people remain objective.

Clearly you have a unique ability/dedication to being disappointed with this game.

Looks like he is attention seeking. If this person is a developer and cannot tell the difference between what dice does for their BF games and what is currently available in SC alpha or shown at gamescom. Then that speaks volumes. This reminds me of earlier in the the thread how Project Cars 2 alpha was being compared to Star Citizen alpha. We apparently have the best developers in the world commenting in this thread. So it is best not to argue, and accept that Star Citizen is nothing but a cheapened Battlefront clone that is being developed slower than Project Cars 2.

For shame CiG. For shame.

Since 99% of your posts are also speculative, hyperbolic complaints, most likely.

The predictability of your posts are a testament to this. You have more in common with the typical YouTube comment posters than those following Gamescom coverage here and on Reddit. These aren't criticism-free zones, there's plenty of criticality going around but at least most people remain objective.

Clearly you have a unique ability/dedication to being disappointed with this game

But isn't that healthy criticism? I mean, Cig cant even get one working City with AI on a lifecycle right and they are going to be beaten to the punch by Assasins Creed Origins. It is the truth ain't it?

Spuck-uk

Banned
Guess I'll step out of the hugzone until after tomorrows presentation, which I'm sure will make me look silly and entirely wrong about the statue of this epoch defining masterpiece.

Clearly you have a unique ability/dedication to being disappointed with this game.

TBH I expect people to be more critical of this showing considering their shenanigans last year regarding the fabled S42 vertical slice that never was. Healthy skepticism is warranted and I thing CiG should definitely feel heat if they are under-delivering again with the Gamescom presentation being another shoddy 3.0 demo.

Top Bottom