• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox Zero & Guard - $36 at Amazon (Do a Bomba roll, Fox!)

Nerrel

Still not even worth it.

Yep. It plays like a $20 eshop-only game, and I regret having paid any more than that. The boring gyrowing/robot levels, the shitty controller showcase gimmicks (fly through the shield! Now fly away from the shield!), half-baked branching paths added at the last minute in an attempt to deepen the game beyond its minigame roots, and the horseshit recycled Andross fight (I'm not even going to spoiler tag it because it should be a given) seal it. Don't pay any more for this game.

Yukinari

Mario Tennis Ultra Smash stayed full price longer than this game. Im honestly prepared to see SFZ go to Other M price cause thats how much i would value the time i wasted on Miyamoto's wild ride.

I legitimately think youd be better off buying SF643D from a scalper or if they ever re-release it.

Star Fox Zero is my favorite game in this franchise. It did what I thought could not be done: Make non-Arwing vehicles fun to use.

And it did this by decoupling movement and reticle (giving the reticle mouse-like speed and precision also helps). I always hated anything that wasn't the Arwing because it made aiming such a freaking pain in the ass. In Star Fox Zero, every single vehicle is a blast to use.

I will however say this: The game could have been made with a wiimote, retain all of its benefits, none of its drawbacks and also be far more straightforward to understand for the majority of players.

Damn, every online thread on SF:Zero I read is split between those who took great enjoyment from the game and those who completely hated it. Funnily, both opinions are directly related to the controls.

Personally, I loved the control scheme Being able to fire in every direction at will, even at enemies right next to you, is simply a great addition. It definitely makes dog fights much more interesting and makes coming back to SF64 much harder. At some points, in some bosses, the control can be a bit bothersome as it's hard to keep track of two screens, but I think it's a game that has to be experienced.

Regarding the game itself, it has some great levels and other not so great ones which, IMO, keep this game from being truly excellent. The other issue is that you can finish the game in a few hours, but the name of the game is replayability. Beating your high scores and getting all the medals is just plain fun. In the end I guess these kind of games are not very well suited to modern high standard games, but I hope indie developers do give them a shot.

I should also point out that the game works quite well in co-op format. Also, do not disregard SF:Guard. It's a really fun game, and if you can buy both for $30-35 I'd say it's a great deal.

ScOULaris

Hmm. Hmmmmmm...

I've been in a Wii U mood lately with Splatoon and Color Splash, and this price is compelling.

Help me, GAF. Is the game worth this price? I feel like I could probably appreciate the controls once I get used to them, so that's not a concern.

Hmm. Hmmmmmm...

I've been in a Wii U mood lately with Splatoon and Color Splash, and this price is compelling.

Help me, GAF. Is the game worth this price? I feel like I could probably appreciate the controls once I get used to them, so that's not a concern.

If you're on the fence and desperate for another Wii U game, then sure.

Personally, I never want to see or play this game again.

maxcriden

Hmm. Hmmmmmm...

It's extraordinarily polarizing. There are surely less polarizing Wii U games you haven't played if you want a safer bet for enjoyment.

I'm thinking here of 3DW, Rayman Legends, WWHD, MK8, SMM, Pikmin 3, TPHD, NSMBU/NSLU, TF, Capt. Toad, Pushmo World (eShop), NES Remix (eShop), YWW, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Nintendo Land, and I have to throw in a recommendation for Elliot Quest also. Many of those games above are cheaper than SF.

With the original having a special place in my heart. I find it very disappointing that they don't have the option for normal controls. With that being the case I'm not really sure if I'm ever going to bite on this one as I doubt they're going to ever going to print this again and digital prices probably wouldn't go down for a very very long time. Not to mention I doubt I probably would even want to spend the time with the controls pretty much garbage anyway from what I've heard .

Hmm. Hmmmmmm...

There's a demo available for you to try it out on the sShop.

I need to give it another shot, but a few minutes with it was pretty much all I needed to know I wouldn't be a fan of the control scheme, even as a big Star Fox fan.

Might get it someday just to have it in my collection, the low price point definitely helps.

Man... bought this on launch day. Plus I also bought the Collector's Guide! I played the first two levels and wasn't sure what I thought of it. I planned on coming back to it the next day.

I still haven't.

EDIT: I do think it is probably worth $23.10.

alf717

Picked the game up the last time it went on sale for around $25-$27 and I enjoy it. Have to complete it some day but then again I tend to do that a lot with games theses days.

I still think it's a fun, experimental evolution of the rail shooter that has some flaws. Really the only thing that bothers me is the stealth level. Otherwise I've enjoyed playing and it'll probably end up sitting somewhere in the back middle of my GOTY list.

AR15mex

As a Wii U owner I would love to buy that game, but in all honestly those controllers really put me off. My fav game on the series was Star Fox 64.

Vidiot

If it shows up a 5 below like Other M I'll give it a try. Otherwise my time and money have become much more limited as an adult I don't really get games unless I know it's something I'll like.

Top Bottom