• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean 5 screens and character art

Negator

Note that you can't actually see any signs in the bare patches, unlike past SO characters like Celine and Nel where they're clearly visible on their skin.

Actually this picture shows her runes on her left leg. They're white so it might be harder to see than usual.

CPOtRRTUYAA_w9m.jpg:orig

OmegaDL50

Kingdom Hearts?

I am talking specifically about Action JRPG combat systems in which you can fully control any member of your party at any time with a button press. While Kingdom Hearts did have Donald and Goofy as party members you always controlled Sora and could not swap to the other two characters, not having full party control.

I mean the previous Star Ocean titles had transitional combat screens. The same applies for the Tales series. Of course it's possible for a future Tales game to do away with the transitional screen as well.

I mean Secret of Mana was the very first that did this as far as I recall, but with the advent of 3D graphics there wasn't any games that glossed upon full party control in an action combat system without a separate battle screen. Not until Xenoblade at least. There could have been others but I don't recall them

I am talking specifically about Action JRPG combat systems in which you can fully control any member of your party at any time with a button press. While Kingdom Hearts did have Donald and Goofy as party members you always controlled Sora and could not swap to the other two characters, not having full party control.

I mean the previous Star Ocean titles had transitional combat screens. The same applies for the Tales series. Of course it's possible for a future Tales game to do away with the transitional screen as well.

I mean Secret of Mana was the very first that did this as far as I recall, but with the advent of 3D graphics there wasn't any games that glossed upon full party control in an action combat system without a separate battle screen. Not until Xenoblade at least. There could have been others but I don't recall them

Well Xenoblade wouldn't really count either since you can't change party members in combat. I think Ys 7 is good example though, since you could switch party members on the fly and all battles occured without transitions.

I love how the lighting makes them look like PVC models. The look of this game is fantastic. I wish the ps3 version was coming here though.

OmegaDL50

Final Fantasy 12?

FF12 used a turn based system, Or at least ATB gauge in which a character acted then needed a full ATB gauge to act again. Not really action, but it didn't have transitional screens for combat, which is a first for the FF series interestingly enough. I hope Square-Enix revisits this version of ATB again in a future title.

he better sign up for AARP now

Star Ocean never really used the not even middle-aged slightly older character going on retirement trope, despite the fact it does use some anime tropes. In fact Star Ocean 3 had a character that was 58 (Ardray) and acted the complete opposite of this trope.

I love how the lighting makes them look like PVC models. The look of this game is fantastic. I wish the ps3 version was coming here though.

Same, this is one of the things I love about the game the most. The lighting/rendering really makes them look like live figurines, which is a really cool effect we haven't really seen before.

T.O.P

Banned
Most of the screenshots in this topic are captures from a playable build of the game at TGS, that is 70% complete, said game apparently on a entirely new engine, nevermind the fact running on console that is generation above the PS3.

Despite the fact that SO5 is a PS3 port title to the PS4, it looks substantially better than SO4.

Yeah i just watched the footage, is the game 60fps? looks good in video, and the seamless transition to battle it's alway a thing i liked

OmegaDL50

Yeah i just watched the footage, is the game 60fps? looks good in video, and the seamless transition to battle it's alway a thing i liked

60fps on PS4 is what the developers are saying. Probably only 30fps on the PS3.

I don't think the PS3 version is coming out in Western territories anyways, so it's not like I have a choice to play English localized Star Ocean 5. Not that I would pick the PS3 version over the PS4 version if the choice was available anyways.

Still it would be nice for the PS3 version to be localized for those that haven't adopted a PS3 yet just to give them that option, but I can understand why devs are trying to drop the old hardware and push the new consoles in the west.

Ganondorfo

Why is there a new Star Ocean and not a new Suikoden or Grandia? These rpgs were also popular during the ps1 gen like Second Story... Anyway this game looks cool, except for that witch girl.

Cassovia

Wau, what a beautiful screenshots, I will definitely buy this.

By the way, in Japan, they already have kiosks with this game, not playable, but game cases with a simple video presentation.

Why is there a new Star Ocean and not a new Suikoden or Grandia? These rpgs were also popular during the ps1 gen like Second Story... Anyway this game looks cool, except for that witch girl.

Because Konami sucks and Game Arts is practically non existent now adays. It sucks, but we take what we can get.

Maebe

Lol that witch, as if the outfit wasn't ridiculous enough she has a cat tail(?) too. Between this and FFXV's party designs(though for a completely different reason) I'm not sure which ones I dislike more.

Love the environments here though.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

For both PS3 and PS4, i think i heard that 60fps was stated, but i can't confirm that 100%.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if it's sub-HD on the PS3. The PS4 version is obviously 1080p. The PS4 version is the port, but it seems to be the main version of the game for them as it was the one playable at TGS.

Well you want to show off your best stuff, they probably showed off the PS3 version first because PS4 was not in a proper state at time of announcement.

Persona 5 is the same, the latest trailer was PS4

dramatis

Actually this picture shows her runes on her left leg. They're white so it might be harder to see than usual.
It's a silly explanation. In SO3, Sophia, one of the symbology-oriented users, has the typical lame "girl next door" design instead of a significantly stupid patchwork costume. She didn't need to show off her runes to use them. And since all of the characters could use symbology, why didn't all of them wear skimpy clothes so they could show off their runes?

Why not just straight up admit you're making a design for titillation. The honesty would be better than the flimsy "in-universe" explanation for a shitty design.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Why not just straight up admit you're making a design for titillation. The honesty would be better than the flimsy "in-universe" explanation for a shitty design.
This is the new trend though

Ashamed of your words and deeds, etc.

wmlk

Lol that witch, as if the outfit wasn't ridiculous enough she has a cat tail(?) too. Between this and FFXV's party designs(though for a completely different reason) I'm not sure which ones I dislike more.

Love the environments here though.

image.php

Rpgmonkey

Based on the recent Famitsu article the battle system takes a lot of notes from SO3 with some slight improvements/alterations, which is cool to me as I feel it has the best battle system of all the games. Personally I would have liked to see MP-death return too, but that's just me, it seems to have been pretty hated by a lot of people.

Would this make Star Ocean 5 possibly the first party based action jrpg with no transitional screens in combat in 3D? (Edit: No there was Xenoblade before that...I could also say Secret of Mana but that's not 3D)

Off the top of my head Shining Resonance and Tales of Zestiria don't transition to separate battlefields. SO5 appears to have made one of the better overall attempts at this however.

It's a silly explanation. In SO3, Sophia, one of the symbology-oriented users, has the typical lame "girl next door" design instead of a significantly stupid patchwork costume. She didn't need to show off her runes to use them. And since all of the characters could use symbology, why didn't all of them wear skimpy clothes so they could show off their runes?

Yeah I guess it's good that there's some kind of excuse, but it still feels pretty flimsy and transparent (pun not intended). Traditionally the runes are red and clearly visible, so I don't know why hers don't seem to be noticeable until they glow or whatever. My only guess is that they're actually all over her body or something, which makes me fear there'll be a scene where they all glow or something and the camera just has to pan all over her body to show them, but maybe they'll show some restraint (lol).

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Symbology is a more advanced form of Runology. Runology as Nel's people used had to have the inscriptions on their bodies to form the incantations, whereas the futuristic form did not need to have inscriptions.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The original translation (Heraldry) sounded way cooler than Symbology.

LowParry

I honestly don't understand the witch hate. Better than that goddamn Meracle character from 4. Or even worse, Welch. -shudder-

Amir0x

Banned
Haha I like the idea of a rune appearing in each of her patches (the Witch). It's certainly an insane outfit from a practical perspective, but I do sorta dig the idea behind it.

Also, let's be honest, people who cosplay her outfit are going to look hilarious.

LowParry

Haha I like the idea of a rune appearing in each of her patches (the Witch). It's certainly an insane outfit from a practical perspective, but I do sorta dig the idea behind it.

Also, let's be honest, people who cosplay her outfit are going to look hilarious.

Modified butt runes I bet.

rbenchley

Loosks great

i can't help but think that that door in the middle of the deesert might be an artifact

Anyway this game can'tcome soon enough
Seems likely. It's not quite the same design, but it reminds me a quite a bit of the Time Gate on Planet Styx. Or maybe this games version of the Seraphic Gate/Sphere 211/Distortion Corridor.

Jolkien

Some of the models are weird. I feel like the eyes of the pink haired girl can stare into my soul. The outfit of the mage like many people already said is ridiculous.

I love what we saw of the design of the second green haired character the martial artist, do we know her name yet ?

I love what we saw of the design of the second green haired character the martial artist, do we know her name yet ?

They haven't said anything about her. But they're slowly revealing characters right now. We also don't know anything about the guy with light blue hair. And there may be more characters as well since they've discussed having more than seven people in battle at once. But in the TGS gameplay we saw that NPC could join your group and battle alongside you, so tehy may have been referring to that.

suzu

Something about the pink hair girl's face feels off compared to the others.

My only guess is that they're actually all over her body or something, which makes me fear there'll be a scene where they all glow or something and the camera just has to pan all over her body to show them, but maybe they'll show some restraint (lol).

Nah, this will happen for sure.

ReaperXL7

I'm always somewhat confused why even in the presence of female characters that are dressed entirely acceptable people focus on the one or two that are not. I mean I get it, people want to get indignant about whatever they can but the witch is the outlier in this where the other female characters are dressed like

And there is a white haired female that is dressed almost exactly like the blond guy. Why is the exsistance of a single less appropriately dressed character an issue?

I have a feeling the female MC is a robot or something because her face is really off compared to the others.

Soriku

ETHEREAL BLAST! Also I see there's a +500% EXP bonus on the gauge lol. Awesome.

You guys can keep whining about the witch. Meanwhile those who play it will find a ridiculously fun game, especially when improving over SO3.

Top Bottom