• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean 5 screens and character art

Yarbskoo

I know you all are probably sick of me complaining about the filter in this game, but I'm doing it anyway.
1z6b.png
2z6b.png
3z6b.png
4z6b.png
Fixed.

The fact that the UI isn't affected by the filter just makes it worse somehow. At least it's slightly less yellow now, I think.

EDIT: Fixed titty witch too.
Lz6b.png

I look forward to seeing the tan lines.

OmegaDL50

I know you all are probably sick of me complaining about the filter in this game, but I'm doing it anyway.

Fixed.

The fact that the UI isn't affected by the filter just makes it worse somehow. At least it's slightly less yellow now, I think.

And now the characters are have super high contrast and look like they are glowing neon. I see what your are trying to do, but no thanks.

OmegaDL50

They're cartoon characters.

Having brighter filtering is one thing to make the environments brighter and whatnot. It's something I agree with.

But having brighter backgrounds and even brighter character models on them kind of clashes.

Realistic or anime style has nothing to do with it really.

Yarbskoo

Having brighter filtering is one thing to make the environments brighter and whatnot. It's something I agree with.

But having brighter backgrounds and even brighter character models on them kind of clashes.

Realistic or anime style has nothing to do with it really.

Surely there's a better way to make your characters look like they belong in an environment than slapping a dimming filter and vignetting on the screen.

How does anyone's brain even come up with shit like this:

Designers for sexy women don't use their brains. Just their penises. Or if the designer is female... just whatever she believes how her male colleagues think with their penises.

I seriously think Bayonetta is one of the rare sexy video game characters who aren't designed this way. I wish

OmegaDL50

You know this discussion was actually fun until, AGAIN all attention was focused entirely on this one particular character.

Well until the next Star Ocean 5 thread I guess, folks.

Dio

Banned
Designers for sexy women don't use their brains. Just their penises. Or if the designer is female... just whatever she believes how her male colleagues think with their penises.

That's a little unfair. Some of the most well-known artists of sexy women in anime/videogames are female and have no qualms about the fact that they're creating characters for them to ogle over, themselves, and it has nothing to do with pandering to her coworkers or another audience. Artists can be making stuff for themselves, you know.

I'm guessing this is going to be Cidney 2.0, huh?

Either way, I'm actually looking forward to this game a good bit. I was in the middle of Star Ocean 1, and even though it wasn't that great, I found it really cool what they tried to offer in regards to the RPG elements, like pickpocketing and producing contraband and stuff. Struck me as really unusual for a JRPG.

I think I'll skip to SO2 once the Vita port for that comes over, but I'm already excited to experience the series, since ARPGs are probably my favorite genre.

Crocodile

I seriously think Bayonetta is one of the rare sexy video game characters who aren't designed this way. I wish

Just popping in to say that this is a REALLY shitty attitude. Like 5 minutes on tumblr/deviantart/any place where artists share their art should tell you this is full of shit.

sensui-tomo

Glossed over that SO4 thread, there was not much, if anything about the catgirl, whom i'll post a pic of so that newcomers to the series can know what kind of designs this series has had because "titmage is cidney/quiet 2.0/3.0/ You can (NOT) Shame me".... sorry for the rant with sarcasm... its just some people really like to drown the thread/come in and rant about the one thing and its happened in a few games i've liked so far... maybe i should open up a Shitty game costume/character design thread so people are aware of bad designs or keep discussion into one place. oh and the picture of catgirl with bad design choices made (Which is far worse than this titmage ... since the character was a minor)
latest

Wonder if we'll have any special bosses this time instead of that SO1 character that SO 4 had (so3 had some fun post game boss fights )

zeopower6

What are you talking about?

Games are at the point where the last gen bullshots are actual in game footage now... I think.

Also titty witch is just never not getting brought up. Sad to say. =( Even years from now in the likely LTTPs. Another thing that is always on SO5 threads lately is talking about how off that girl's face is, lol. I don't get how it looks so strange in 3D when in 2D it looks fine. Like... no one on the team thought it looked a little weird?

sensui-tomo

Games are at the point where the last gen bullshots are actual in game footage now... I think.

Also titty witch is just never not getting brought up. Sad to say. =( Even years from now in the likely LTTPs. Another thing that is always on SO5 threads lately is talking about how off that girl's face is, lol. I don't get how it looks so strange in 3D when in 2D it looks fine.
at least its not like the xenoblade X thread... Face discussion hounds that place. But eh. Wonder how Welch will be integrated into this, and iirc the remakes are the canon versions right? aka ones with her in it. wonder if it'll be touched upon again in this game, since
"That door"
is probably in the game again

Rpgmonkey

Eh, I saw people call Meracle creepy due to her model, age, and design all the time, particularly in threads outside of the OT. I wouldn't say that there's some double standard where no one cared about her but have a problem with Fiore. Chances are the SO5 OT won't have as much complaining about her either, I don't think OTs for games are necessarily the best threads to go to get a good representation of how people who probably have a more passing interest in the game feel about something. Though even a few posters I know have played most or all of the SO games (including me) aren't fond of the design. :p

Honestly every SO game since 3 seems to have one or two big issues/controversies about the game that come up in basically every GAF thread about them.

If it just wasn't so damn two-dimensional yeah. In fact, most everything 3 did in combat would be aces if they weren't so damn two-dimensional. You either broke it or were miserable following rules that the game didn't really function under.

I like breaking games (at least after I'd had my fill of playing it fairly), but I can agree that that was a problem with the game and probably why a lot of people weren't fond of it.

tri-Ace always has crazy super-bosses, but SO3 in particular could get a little out there in how much you needed to break the game to make some of them manageable. A couple normal enemies could be really difficult as well if you weren't trying to break stuff.

Alex

At least since it's a known brand from the 90s, the amount of fan service characters for an anime-esque RPG is dropped from the entire cast to one but man that is one awkward outfit.

Rest of the cast looks nice though, I think, I mean it's nothing ground breaking but the aesthetic is nice. Looking forward to it.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I'm more bothered by tit witch's cat tail than her argyle skin...thing. How would someone even put that on?

sensui-tomo

I'm more bothered by tit witch's cat tail than her argyle skin...thing. How would someone even put that on?

From the guys who brought you this... I take Star ocean as serious as my anime... which isnt saying much considering i've played eroge more serious than this series.

hqdefault.jpg

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
From the guys who brought you this... I take Star ocean as serious as my anime... which isnt saying much considering i've played eroge more serious than this series.

hqdefault.jpg

Tit witch is more in line with tit elf mage from SO4 though. The cat tail just looks out of place. They are mixing up fan services...

star_ocean_4_conceptart_mpel0-ea93ab8022.png

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
You know Star Ocean is a sci-fi series and that there aren't only humans in the game, right?

These are the two main characters from SO1.

I have all the SO games. I know about space elves, cat girls, dragon guy hybrids, cyborgs and 3 eyed chicks.
Cat girl needs to be a different character from tit witch/mage. They were in the other games.

Bladenic

I actually like the character artwork *shrug*

I think the heroine is the worst designed one and she also looks the worst ingame. IMO this is a trend in the SO series. The human heroines are the always the most boring designs in the odd numbered games (Millie, Sophia), but okay or good in the even ones (Rena in the original but awful in the remake, Reimi).

OmegaDL50

hqdefault.jpg

So we are using the worst possible examples of what an entire series is about now? Okay then.

PSA Reminder: The Producer of SO4 Yoshinori Yamagishi admitted to wanting to make an Eroge game claiming SO4 would be the last game he would produce for tri-Ace. Consider that for a moment.

Nevermind the fact that Star Ocean 4 as a whole in terms of direction was handled entirely differently than the first, second, and third games in the series. It was a black sheep of the franchise more or less.

But I digress, we've come full circle, I even said this earlier too - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=180105850&postcount=90

sensui-tomo

So we are using the worst possible examples of what an entire series is about now? Okay then.

PSA Reminder: The Producer of SO4 Yoshinori Yamagishi admitted to wanting to make an Eroge game claiming SO4 would be the last game he would produce for tri-Ace. Consider that for a moment.

Nevermind the fact that Star Ocean 4 as a whole in terms of direction was handled entirely differently than the first, second, and third games in the series. It was a black sheep of the franchise more or less.

But I digress, we've come full circle like, I even said this earlier too - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=180105850&postcount=90
I didnt say SO4 was the entire series.. just answering the question about a cat tail on why someone would put it on with a thing from SO4 which was the worst overall package of an SO game. SO1-3 are like Sci-fi(channel) movies for me.. very meh, but man do i love the combat.

What da fuck is with moe blob face. She looks ridiculous. Push those eyes together ffs. Also I see they learned nothing from the reaction to Lymle.

GorillaJu

There are four female characters in the main cast. One of them is sexy. I thought the mantra is "sexy characters are okay we're just sick of every character being over the top." Here you've got a 1/4 ratio of hot characters to normal.

And holy shit at the "sexy characters are designed by penises not by brains" comment. Come on guys you're gonna have to try harder than that to actually prove a point. Unless it was satire, which is eminently believable.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Problem isn't with the sexy, it's with the failure of a fashionista that she is

Meracle was way worse. I will give people that. At least Drill Witch has a pretty cool looking design outside of her checkerboard dress.

GorillaJu

Problem isn't with the sexy, it's with the failure of a fashionista that she is

Meracle was way worse. I will give people that. At least Drill Witch has a pretty cool looking design outside of her checkerboard dress.

I can only argue what actually exists, but I really don't think we'd be having this discussion if her checkerboard dress was black + another color instead of black + skin. There are characters with bad designs all over... The little girl character and the fem protagonist with the pink hair both have far worse designs IMO, yet they're barely the subject of debate. It's all about the titty meat peaks.

OmegaDL50

I didnt say SO4 was the entire series.. just answering the question about a cat tail on why someone would put it on with a thing from SO4 which was the worst overall package of an SO game. SO1-3 are like Sci-fi(channel) movies for me.. very meh, but man do i love the combat.

It's cool. It's just we know the direction of SO5 is much more in line with the first three games in the series, Yamagishi is no longer producer.

Despite one particular character design (Fiore), all in all there doesn't seem to be any overall themes or character types that seem to greatly out of the place of what was expected of the Star Ocean games.

Even Yoshiharu Gotanda who handled the scenario writing / story of the first three games is returning as a writer for SO5 (I mainly blame SO4 turning out as it did because Gotanda did not have directorial or writing duties in it)

I mean it's speaks a lot when even tri-Ace admits there was serious problems with SO4 - http://gematsu.com/2015/06/star-ocean-5-producer-something-not-right-star-ocean-4

Considering the writing and directorial duties for SO4 were not the same as SO1 through 3, it turned into something different in spirit. Thankfully Gotanda returns for SO5.

What da fuck is with moe blob face. She looks ridiculous. Push those eyes together ffs. Also I see they learned nothing from the reaction to Lymle.

The reaction to Lymle has nothing to do with her appearance but entirely to with her personality and speech mannerisms.

Top Bottom