• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront Alpha leaks

TheXbox

Uhm Star Wars is very big in Europe too... You really underestimate that.

And Black Ops 3? lol I havent seen much hype around it. Everyone seems bored of CoD at this point now.
I don't know what the game sales are like internationally but in the box office Star Wars has always been a domestic monster, not so much elsewhere. The last film had about 45% of its gross come from the US. Can't put a ton of stock into Battlefront's success based on how the films perform in certain territories, but it's always been clear that Star Wars is much bigger in the US than anywhere else. Very likely that translates to games as well.

FIFA, on the other hand, does extremely well everywhere. For obvious reasons.

There was no Hardline Alpha. The game had too Beta's. And both had no unfinished stuff in it. Besides the a bit worse performance in the first beta, everything was the same until the final game.

Wrong, BF4: Shanghai ground zero was no near finished. Geometry was off and textures where white/grey-ish placeholders.

in the BF3 beta the geometry was complete wack

Slaythe

I don't know what the game sales are like internationally but in the box office Star Wars has always been a domestic monster, not so much elsewhere. The last film had about 45% of its gross come from the US. Can't put a ton of stock into Battlefront's success based on how the films perform in certain territories, but it's always been clear that Star Wars is much bigger in the US than anywhere else. Very likely that translates to games as well.

The Star Wars movies are considered worldwide success.

The marketing budget for US market is ridiculous compared to everywhere else in the world anyway.

Star Wars movies and games sell everywhere.

Wrong, BF4: Shanghai ground zero was no near finished. Geometry was off and textures where white/grey-ish placeholders.

in the BF3 beta the geometry was complete wack

Would like to know where i talked about Battlefield 4? im talking about Hardline and im not wrong about that.

RulkezX

There was no Hardline Alpha. The game had too Beta's. And both had no unfinished stuff in it. Besides the a bit worse performance in the first beta, everything was the same until the final game.

The Hardline Beta was absolutely missing textures and other graphical effects , and ran considerably worse than BF4 , and you are correct about it not having an alpha , but 2 betas.

feel free to google the missing textures etc from Hardline , there are 100's of threads on Battlelog from back then about them and the bad performance.

Eggbok

I see things like Admiral Ackbars ship there, but wasn't there news a while ago there'd be no space battles?

Assets to be used for future DLC, doh.

VKldeTA.png

Pretty sure that's a Mon Cal Cruiser on the left, aka Ackbars ship.

Tomeru

Is it safe to assume that we won't be playing as any major jedi (like DV) in normal multiplayer, and that is reserved for the missions?

TheXbox

The Star Wars movies are considered worldwide success.

The marketing budget for US market is ridiculous compared to everywhere else in the world anyway.

Star Wars movies and games sell everywhere.
Never said otherwise. FIFA just has a proven international track record. Star Wars, less so. Anyway, I don't want to derail the thread with sales speculation. Second or third, it doesn't matter because EA will be laughing all the way to bank with either outcome.

nowarning

Is it safe to assume that we won't be playing as any major jedi (like DV) in normal multiplayer, and that is reserved for the missions?

Just looked into this myself as I've only watched the trailers and nothing else, wondered how the mechanic works vs previous games: http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/bat...luke-skywalker-darth-vader-boba-fett-and-more

"In the game modes supporting them, the Heroes and Villains will be unlocked through a powerup found on the map. Making use of their great powers will not only be a thrill, it’s also a great perk in the multiplayer matches. Make the most of the time you’ll walk in the shoes of the Heroes or Villains though – in some modes it will be limited to make the experience fair. Balance in general has been a huge focus in the Heroes and Villains design."

The Hardline Beta was absolutely missing textures and other graphical effects , and ran considerably worse than BF4 , and you are correct about it not having an alpha , but 2 betas.

feel free to google the missing textures etc from Hardline , there are 100's of threads on Battlelog from back then about them and the bad performance.

Ive played the first Beta on PS4 and there was no missing textures.

True enough, that was from the quote you quoted yourself, sorry.

No prob dude :D

Tomeru

Pretty sure you could play as Vader in the old games.

"Heroes" are a part of multiplayer.

Just looked into this myself as I've only watched the trailers and nothing else, wondered how the mechanic works vs previous games: http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/bat...luke-skywalker-darth-vader-boba-fett-and-more

"In the game modes supporting them, the Heroes and Villains will be unlocked through a powerup found on the map. Making use of their great powers will not only be a thrill, it’s also a great perk in the multiplayer matches. Make the most of the time you’ll walk in the shoes of the Heroes or Villains though – in some modes it will be limited to make the experience fair. Balance in general has been a huge focus in the Heroes and Villains design."

Thanks for the reply guys.

Frog-fu

Banned
Day one, and I might even buy a season pass for the first time ever. I have been waiting on another Battlefront for nearly a decade. Don't care how much or how little content it has really, I just want it.

Maligna

Banned
I want to know how much customization we can make on our soldiers and what playable races there are for the rebels.

Yoday

I really hope the alpha has controller support. I'd really like to play on my TV where it will look significantly better.

Euron

I don't know where else to ask this but do we know whether or not the game will have dedicated servers?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

Battlefront will demolish everything in terms of sales. COD, Halo, Fallout, Tomb Raider, pretty much everything.

Timu

People need to bear in mind they have already warned us the alpha runs like ass and to expect flaky servers.

The BF4/Hardline Alpha's were also missing geometry and textures so people should reign in expectations not freak out when the game runs and looks terrible.

Minimum specs are

CPU: Quad Core CPU e.g. Intel Core i5-2300 @ 2.8 GHz or AMD Phenom II x4 955 @ 3.2 GHz or AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 GHz
• RAM: 6 GB
• OS: Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8/8.1 (64-bit operating system required)
• Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 or AMD Radeon HD 7970 with 2 GB of Video Memory
Looks like it'll run like crap on many PCs.

Imperial

I think it would've been more rewarding if they were unlocked through killstreaks or points.

miked808

Playing the single player on a 7870 and runs fine. Some framerate swings but nothing too bad. Trying to get used to not having to reload a laser rifle.

Enthus

Ugh, ROTJ Stormtrooper helmet on the menu. If they could not use the worst version of the TK helmet that would be great.

Tadie

Does somebody know how the GTX 680 will perform?
Is Battlefront a hardware killer?

Maybe I need to upgrade my GPU :/

Taishan

Banned
I wouldn't bet my money on this

What?
Most, if not all, of DICE's games have been on dedicated servers. Yes, even on consoles.

Plus, 40-player matches aren't going to work via P2P.

Does somebody know how the GTX 680 will perform?
Is Battlefront a hardware killer?

Maybe I need to upgrade my GPU :/

Few posts up shows the 680 being the minimum GPU for the Alpha

Yoday

I can't wait to get home and play. It will be interesting to see how my GTX 760 handles the game. There will be no leaks or impressions from me though, as there are a ton of upcoming EA games that I am pumped for and I would rather not take any chance in getting my account banned.

Walpurgis

Banned
IPlus i found stuff in the files pointing to no server browser but a Matchmaking system just like COD.

That just about does it for me. I might get it next year when they bundle it with premium but I just don't care anymore. Go to hell EA and fuck you DICE. I hope your offices get flooded.

KHlover

Banned
No way it sells better than fallout4.

Could depend on the metric you use. Lifetime I'd agree, Bethesda games sell like hotcakes even years after release since they're not afraid to drop the price relatively fast and make up the difference with DLC that ends up mandatory for the best mods.

Within one or two years after release though? Fallout isn't as big as Elder Scrolls, so I think Battlefront by DICE has a good chance to outsell it in that time frame.

rmanthorp

It's got a lot of graphics but I'm way more for content > graphics. Hope the amazing look doesn't hurt the amount of stuff in there.

Striek

Of course it will outsell Fallout 4. Thats not even debatable.

Its very debatable. Skyrim sold well over 20 million copies. Fallout mightn't match that but it will have mad sales. BF3 would have to be one of the best-selling games of all time to beat it.

Top Bottom