• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic E3 CG Trailer [EA-CONF]

barnone

I watched the G4 TV exclusive, seems to be coming along nicely. I really love the draw distance, it's breathtaking. The guy the hosts interviewed said the game would be memorable for its voice acting (duh) and its combat (I can only pray for this). If they actually hit their Spring 2011 release date, I will be extremely impressed for MMO's rarely if ever hit their initial launch date time.

Any way, HYPE!

Blader

Ignis Fatuus said:
I'm a geek for knowing this but there's a force ability that lets you absorb energy--Vader used it in The Empire Strikes Back to absorb Han's blaster bolts. This is just an exaggerated use of that ability.

wat

I always thought his hand absorbed the blast because it's...not a real hand. :lol

Coeliacus

Zenith said:
I imagine it's actually Force Push but whatshisname is so strong he managed to get it into her hand before she could fully halt it.

She absorbs it actually. That's where her wtfryuhadouken power comes from. Like Yoda shooting the lightning beam back at Dooku.

/starwarsnerd

edit: beaten

Blader

Ignis Fatuus said:
Even if it wasn't a real hand a blaster bolt would've melted the fuck out of it normally.

I figured Vader could afford extra durable hands.

wtf am i talking about :lol

Retro

barnone said:
I watched the G4 TV exclusive

Anyone who watched this care to summarize the info that was given? I had to take off just as the Sony Conference was wrapping up and didn't get a chance to catch any coverage until late last night... and it was the only non-Big3 presentation I was interested in.

So, details? Any elaboration on player starships, etc?

JoeBoy101

You guys do realize there is a round-up of Gameplay videos for Old Republic on GameTrailers, right? Early area gameplay, camthrough of player ships, lightsaber combat, etc.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So... did anything show up on any sites or wherever?

1up's Active Time Babble did an interview with the lead writer, but all he did was the company spiel (story is one of the 4 pillars! Everything you do has consequences! Phat loots for you loot whores!).

Trickster

Did they really only release a gear progression trailer for the bounty hunter? I crave one for the stormtrooper so badly :lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hrm. I guess that's cool if you're into MMO mechanics, but I was really hoping for someone to run down a quest or full level progression.

I know I'm living in fantasy world, but if you could only get XP from finishing quests like Mass Effect 2, then at least all the fears of the treadmill grind will be mitigated.

That's not to say single player RPGs don't have shitty fetch quests - every BioWare game has them after all - they just don't make up the basis of the game.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
firehawk12 said:
I know I'm living in fantasy world, but if you could only get XP from finishing quests like Mass Effect 2, then at least all the fears of the treadmill grind will be mitigated.

I recall BioWare mentioning that much more XP would be gotten from completing quests than it would from killing monsters.

Chris_C

barnone said:
I watched the G4 TV exclusive, seems to be coming along nicely. I really love the draw distance, it's breathtaking. The guy the hosts interviewed said the game would be memorable for its voice acting (duh) and its combat (I can only pray for this). If they actually hit their Spring 2011 release date, I will be extremely impressed for MMO's rarely if ever hit their initial launch date time.

Any way, HYPE!

I hope this is true, because what I've seen so far looks incredibly stiff, and bad guys literally just seem to stand there and get shot.

Deadly

Chris_C said:
I hope this is true, because what I've seen so far looks incredibly stiff, and bad guys literally just seem to stand there and get shot.
I was thinking the same thing. But if it's anything like the original KOTOR games then we should be fine.

Chris_C

Deadly said:
I was thinking the same thing. But if it's anything like the original KOTOR games then we should be fine.

Never played KOTOR (I know), I'll see if I can find some gameplay videos on youtube. I heard they wanted the experience to be just like KOTOR, but MMO obviously, so that's good news.

Darklord

Banned
Ignis Fatuus said:
I'm a geek for knowing this but there's a force ability that lets you absorb energy--Vader used it in The Empire Strikes Back to absorb Han's blaster bolts. This is just an exaggerated use of that ability.

Seems a bit weird still. Force Lightning, Blasters, ok I can understand that but a lightsaber? That shit cuts through like 2 feet of armour like warm butter. If they could do that she could have run up and just grabbed the saber off him.:lol

I wish they announced the beta. How long has that been coming? :(

Trouble

Banned
Darklord said:
Seems a bit weird still. Force Lightning, Blasters, ok I can understand that but a lightsaber? That shit cuts through like 2 feet of armour like warm butter. If they could do that she could have run up and just grabbed the saber off him.:lol

I wish they announced the beta. How long has that been coming? :(
She was also definitely wearing a glove or something covering her palm. Could have been cortosis (sp?) or something. I know the canon nerds are up in arms about it, but I could care less.

I though they would announce beta today being the last day of E3 and they do normal announcements on Fridays. E3 was kind of a let down in the quantity of info revealed.

JayDubya

Banned
The other plausible, pseudo-canon reason why Vader was able to absorb Han's blaster bolt is that due to both the Sith Alchemy infused into it and / or the materials and expense that went into it, that armor of his can take a hit and then some.

In other words, Vader has really high DR. That, and if you singe his arm a bit, it's no skin off him. Ha! Get it? No skin! Ha! Ha! ... erm.

That scene has also been the basis for energy absorbing powers that we have seen in Star Wars videogames and tabletop, however.

ALL THAT SAID, and I will note that I have wholly stopped buying Star Wars EU products for quite some time, I am wholly unaware of any instance of anything absorbing a fucking lightsaber blade. I remember that one creature that would cause the lightsaber to break if you struck its scales, though...

Ignis Fatuus said:
Holy shit you're alive. Where the fuck have you been?

I post on Gaming about as much as I ever have. So, Gaming.

witness

I really am excited for this game and so is my fiance, I'm buying a new gaming lap top next year when I get my tax money (right around the time the game comes out), and we're both getting it and so is my brother. Gonna play the hell out of this game, love the art style and all the voice acting for everything. The game play videos I saw of it on G4 looked fantastic.

JayDubya said:
, I am wholly unaware of any instance of anything absorbing a fucking lightsaber blade.

IIRC, Nejaa Halcyon took a fatal stab from a saber, absorbed the energy (depleting the saber's power and deactivating it) and channeled that power into crushing the guy who'd stabbed him, then died.

His grandson, Corran Horn, absorbed a brief contact with a saber blade but was still left with pretty bad burns. Didn't get the arm cut off though.

So...there's some slight precedent, but nowhere near the level of what we saw in the trailer.

JayDubya

Banned
Well, I guess there's always been this sort of "Old Republic Jedi could do crazy, crazy shit and we've lost how to do those techniques" element to Star Wars canon.

Of course, this isn't really a different technique so much as a way more powerful version of one we know about already.

Essentially, in the EU, the Force is suffering from power creep.

Zod the Bear said:
IIRC, Nejaa Halcyon took a fatal stab from a saber, absorbed the energy (depleting the saber's power and deactivating it) and channeled that power into crushing the guy who'd stabbed him, then died.

His grandson, Corran Horn, absorbed a brief contact with a saber blade but was still left with pretty bad burns. Didn't get the arm cut off though.

So...there's some slight precedent, but nowhere near the level of what we saw in the trailer.
In fairness the Jedi we saw in the trailer was clearly a high ranking Consular, the class that specializes in force manipulation and secrets. It's really not that huge of a stretch after what Halcyon was able to pull of, I think.

Beautiful.

But I'll never have the time to justify a monthly subscription fee. And balancing Sith/Jedi and troopers will be so difficult. How did Galaxies manage it? IIRC they started with it being almost impossible to be a Force-user, then with the expansions opened it to everyone.

m3k

so someone spell this out for me... whats the point of playing old republic story wise

to make sure there is still pockets of resistance in the galaxy waiting for skywalker to save the galaxy

JayDubya

Banned
m3k said:
so someone spell this out for me... whats the point of playing old republic story wise

to make sure there is still pockets of resistance in the galaxy waiting for skywalker to save the galaxy

Kind of the opposite.

It's a wide open point in the chronology where game designers can go pretty nuts and almost nothing you do is going to significantly fuck up the part of the story where people of that last name become central.

Shrennin

Blader5489 said:
So what happened to Revan? Just disappeared?

We don't know. I believe BioWare has pretty much confirmed that we will find out what happens to Revan, or at least there will be heavy hints.

As Revan is likely dead, I wouldn't be surprised if HK-47 spread some light on the issue (since he's a droid, he's probably going to make some appearance).

Revan could also appear as a Force Ghost, although I am hoping they do something more original with any storyline involving Revan (if there are any specifically).

m3k

JayDubya said:
Kind of the opposite.

It's a wide open point in the chronology where game designers can go pretty nuts and almost nothing you do is going to significantly fuck up the part of the story where people of that last name become central.

for some reason it annoys me that your fighting resistance when you know they won't succeed in a shortish time period

oh they might save some people or a planet or two

but i liked the idea behind knights of the old republic more, since it was prior to the whole series of films.. what time frame are we talking about where things are wide open, 20 something years until luke is grown up a bit, but proper resistance must be wiped out sometime before this

they're more than capable to write something interesting, but yeah just will be in the back of my mind

Trickster

JayDubya said:
Well, I guess there's always been this sort of "Old Republic Jedi could do crazy, crazy shit and we've lost how to do those techniques" element to Star Wars canon.

Of course, this isn't really a different technique so much as a way more powerful version of one we know about already.

Essentially, in the EU, the Force is suffering from power creep.

Maybe lightsaber in the old republic weren't as powerful as those in the movies? :p

Don't really care personally as I'm not a huge star wars lore fan.

Shrennin

m3k said:
for some reason it annoys me that your fighting resistance when you know they won't succeed in a shortish time period

but i liked the idea behind knights of the old republic more, since it was prior to the whole series of films.. what time frame are we talking about where things are wide open, 20 something years until luke is grown up a bit, but proper resistance must be wiped out sometime before this

they're more than capable to write something interesting, but yeah just will be in the back of my mind

...What?

Are you saying that TOR is a couple of years before the films or that you're glad that it isn't because of story purposes?

Officially, TOR takes place 3,000 years before the films and 300 years after KotOR.

m3k said:

What the fuck?

This is a direct sequel to Knights of the Old Republic, it takes place 3000 years before the films.

m3k

Ignis Fatuus said:

What the fuck?

This is a direct sequel to Knights of the Old Republic, it takes place 3000 years before the films.

knew i shouldve checked this before writing... lol my bad

i thought this was some clone wars shit :lol

m3k

IcedTea said:
Did you... did you not read the title of the game?

Ignis Fatuus said:
There was no Empire during the Clone Wars, and the title is Knights Of The Old Republic.

:/

lol i know i know didnt read, just saw star wars and then clicked... saw what i thought was clone wars type outfits and heard resistance

whoops... oh well, much anticipated then, nice trailer

To be fair, the game is taking a lot of liberty by stealing from the movies. Aside from certain art decisions (the Trooper armor being a big one,) it's creating a giant retcon by having Palpatine basically copying his Empire from this earlier Sith one.

I've talked to a few people who have been confused about this game taking place during the Clone Wars, primarily due to the trooper armor.

Of course, that's probably the goal, to cash in on recognition from the prequels by casual fans.

Blader

Zod the Bear said:
To be fair, the game is taking a lot of liberty by stealing from the movies. Aside from certain art decisions (the Trooper armor being a big one,) it's creating a giant retcon by having Palpatine basically copying his Empire from this earlier Sith one.

I've talked to a few people who have been confused about this game taking place during the Clone Wars, primarily due to the trooper armor.

Of course, that's probably the goal, to cash in on recognition from the prequels by casual fans.

Well, Palpatine is a Sith too.

No official word yet.

If they stick to their spring 2011 release date, I'd assume we'll have an announcement by the end of the summer and the beta starting up mid or late fall.

Ignis Fatuus said:
There was no Empire during the Clone Wars, and the title is Knights Of The Old Republic.

:/

I think the confusion may stem from the fact that the pre-Empire government was referred to as "The Old Republic".

The Galactic Republic was the galactic government prior to the establishment of the Galactic Empire in 19 BBY. Although it was commonly known as the Old Republic, this was not so until the establishment of the Empire; its name when it existed was the Galactic Republic, or simply the Republic. Rarely, it was referred to as the First Republic. At times, the term Old Order was used to describe it.
The Republic, led by a Supreme Chancellor, had a supposedly democratic government that was able to sustain itself for over twenty-five thousand years. It is said that its complete history would "fill a thousand libraries".
In its latest years, it was a benevolent—though ineffectual—government tied up in layers of bureaucracy.

Shrennin

Pretty good interview here:

http://angryjoeshow.com/2010/06/swtor-interview/

He's able to get some things out of BioWare that don't really confirm new things, but definitely clarify things or even hint at things to come.

I really want to know all the features of the player ship. I think it would be awesome if player housing and a type of movement would be combined (player housing and space travel is an awesome combination but I would still want other mounts like speeders to be in for ground travel and something else for air travel).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Zod the Bear said:

That seems like an expanded version of the demo that people got a few months ago. It's clear that they're trying to replicate the Dragon Age Origins mechanic but in much greater scope which is cool (and probably adds replayability) but I guess they're still not showing the long term stuff.

Shrinnan said:
I recall BioWare mentioning that much more XP would be gotten from completing quests than it would from killing monsters.

Hrm, well, I hope they go that way. If anything, the base game should be as grind free as possible and focus entirely on story-based missions while the grinding should be directed toward the people who want good loot and PvP.

Lone_Prodigy said:
I think the confusion may stem from the fact that the pre-Empire government was referred to as "The Old Republic".
I am aware of that. I'm pointing out that the title is very clearly a reference to the KOTOR name scheme--they just dropped the Knights cause you're not necessarily playing as a force user anymore.

Shrinnan said:
Pretty good interview here:

http://angryjoeshow.com/2010/06/swtor-interview/

He's able to get some things out of BioWare that don't really confirm new things, but definitely clarify things or even hint at things to come.

I really want to know all the features of the player ship. I think it would be awesome if player housing and a type of movement would be combined (player housing and space travel is an awesome combination but I would still want other mounts like speeders to be in for ground travel and something else for air travel).
I want to be able to collect shit, even useless shit, and put it in my ship. Let me decorate. Casuals will go apeshit I promise you.

I've never considered myself a Star Wars fan, but I've always thought the universe was cool and The Old Republic is really grabbing my interest. Going to try to keep an eye on it.

Top Bottom