• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic E3 CG Trailer [EA-CONF]

Medalion

Banned
That was pretty epic, but I don't like the idea of Darth Vader getting one-upped by that female Jedi that easily with her hadoken force power :lol

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Medalion said:
That was pretty epic, but I don't like the idea of Darth Vader getting one-upped by that female Jedi that easily with her hadoken force power :lol

He hasn't been the same since he was made into a whiny little bitch...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
That was great. I've had high hopes for this game since last E3 and have been following very closely ever since.

EA and BioWare are gonna make this absolutely huge, I have no doubt. Hopefully it'll launch well.

Mashing

Damn, I still get fanboy tears for epic Star Wars action. I loved how that trailer contrasted versus the previous one.

So, uh, in all seriousness, are we going to see Gameplay? I appreciate Bioware's cutscene efforts, but this is an MMO. Where's the beef?

Trouble

Banned
LA needs to let Blur make a full length Star Wars animated film. I would pony up $10 in a heartbeat, probably buy the Bluray too.

Freyjadour said:
So, uh, in all seriousness, are we going to see Gameplay? I appreciate Bioware's cutscene efforts, but this is an MMO. Where's the beef?
There's a new build at E3 they are giving people hands-on time with, so expect new gameplay vids soon.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
HorribleJames said:
so sad that people making a video game CG understand star wars 100 times better than george lucas does

Eh, just because the CG trailer was good doesn't mean they understand Star Wars more than Lucas. Episodes 1-3 were bad, indeed, but random action CG SW isn't exactly "better" either.

barnone

Did EA announce player housing in the guise of player ships? According to my Kotaku feed they did, but I missed the conference and haven't seen anything about it.

Trouble

Banned
barnone said:
Did EA announce player housing in the guise of player ships? According to my Kotaku feed they did, but I missed the conference and haven't seen anything about it.
Yes. Also PVP battlefields, with Alderaan being one.

Edit: Pic from Kotaku
500x_ships.jpg

P.S. I called this day 1 on the swtor forum. I'll have to dig up that post when their site gets unfucked.

Blackface

Banned
water_wendi said:
Thats incorrect. Watch this and tell me where it is on my Wow cds.

Who cares. Its not like gameplay videos are obfuscated. Theres been tons released over the last year with each one looking better. Theyve only done CG trailers for E3 afaik and its to build hype. Which leads to..

Blizzard doesnt need to get buzz going for Wow :lol

You should have also added Blizzard does a cinematic trailer for every single game and expansion they ever put out. Cataclysm didn't have one because it wasn't close to launch. I guarantee it has once this coming Blizzcon.

There has been gameplay videos out for months now, and there is a lot of information about the game in the official thread and on their forums. There is still a lot of unknowns as well, and everyone wants to see more gameplay, but be realistic.

Having a gameplay trailer at a major E3 conference for an MMO in Alpha is a mistake. It's going to be playable on the show room floor, and I am sure you will see in-game trailers eventually, although they may not have much combat in them.

Even World of Warcraft commercials barely have any in-game footage. MMO's don't lend themselves well to that, especially if they have to follow stuff like Crysis 2.

JayDubya

Banned
So much FUD in this thread - Revenge of the Sith was awesome. I and II aren't really welcome in the ol' DVD player for any reason, but the fact that RotS exists almost justifies their existence. Almost.

Man, I really want to play this game with the wife and friends... collaborative Bioware dialogue trees and alignment consequences still seems like a very interesting extension of the KotOR series... almost into the realm of tabletop.

Of course, the danger there, if they don't do it right, is like unto bringing the utter dysfunction you can find in tabletop... I can only imagine the frustration of saying, "why yes, hard-up widow of a veteran of this prolonged conflict, I have some creds you can have," whilst your partner is hacking her up with his lightsaber. In tabletop, of course, you're responsible for managing the consequences of the decisions of the whole team... they've already presented several scenarios / examples where you can spare the crew of a Sith ship or execute them all... I'm curious what happens when the two players take diametrically opposed positions in a classic Bioware plot-impacting choice.

Cipherr

Freyjadour said:

Man I was coming to post this, apparently there is some gameplay vids out there, can someone link them please?

The CGI is nice, but again this is an MMO, and this is like the only one IMO that has a chance to be worth the time. And Ive seen frack all in terms of the actual game. Getting frustrated with the cg releases :lol

Trouble said:
Yes. Also PVP battlefields, with Alderaan being one.

Edit: Pic from Kotaku
500x_ships.jpg

P.S. I called this day 1 on the swtor forum. I'll have to dig up that post when their site gets unfucked.

but they announced it and gave no details whatsoever. They were literally like, "yeah so everybody gets their own ship, and about PvP; yeah, it exists on alderaan. Yup, that's it. see you guys laterz"

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Puncture said:
Man I was coming to post this, apparently there is some gameplay vids out there, can someone link them please?

The CGI is nice, but again this is an MMO, and this is like the only one IMO that has a chance to be worth the time. And Ive seen frack all in terms of the actual game. Getting frustrated with the cg releases :lol
Theres been like a video a month since last years E3 on the TOR website.

Puncture said:

Uhm, gameplay videos aren't hard at all to find. Try the official site, they have some short walkthrough videos there.

Now if your looking for a lengthy walkthrough video played by an actual gamer and not some rep or press people...I'd like to see some of those too. Hopefully there will be some coming out during this e3 if they really have a playable demo on the floor.

I'm hoping this comes out in early 2011, I'm getting a bit of an MMO itch again but want to stay away from WoW. Starcraft 2 isn't going to have the old community that I remember and even though some of my old guildies are coming out of the woodwork for it I don't think theres enough interest anymore to keep us together for more than a few months.

Mojojo

HorribleJames said:
so sad that people making a video game CG understand star wars 100 times better than george lucas does

Really? the CG was neat, but for a moment I thought we were entering Dragon Ball Z territory in that fight... But then I am only a fan of the first trilogy, where the Force was depicted differently than the second trilogy or expanded universe stuff.

syoaran

really liked the trailer - dont mind that there is no gameplay for this yet as the game is still not due for at least another year

Mojojo said:
Really? the CG was neat, but for a moment I thought we were entering Dragon Ball Z territory in that fight... But then I am only a fan of the first trilogy, where the Force was depicted differently than the second trilogy or expanded universe stuff.

I guess the argument is they would've done that stuff in the original trilogy if it was possible. I'm not sure I agree with it but I'm happy with both things existing

Nessus

ElectricBlue187 said:
I guess the argument is they would've done that stuff in the original trilogy if it was possible.

And I think the series was better for it.

The original trilogy benefited from not having access to technology that allowed them to depict every little stray thought that entered Lucas' head, and from him being forced to compromise and collaborate with other people, people who worked with him, not for him.

I still enjoyed the prequels, but the original trilogy is just on an entirely different level.

Zenith

Banned
disappeared said:
Did that female Jedi deflect a Sith Lord's lightsaber with her fucking HAND!?

I imagine it's actually Force Push but whatshisname is so strong he managed to get it into her hand before she could fully halt it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Man, I really do hope they tighten combat up. Bounty Hunter looks pretty good but the lightsaber wielders don't look all that hot.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
disappeared said:

My left hand is probably just as strong.

DrBo42

Andrex said:
Man, I really do hope they tighten combat up. Bounty Hunter looks pretty good but the lightsaber wielders don't look all that hot.
That's because the biggest problem with the game is their animation. There is absolutely no weight behind the saber movements. At least that's the way it was in the previous build. Hopefully they've given animation some much needed love.

Puncture said:

Well how about the 20 some minute walkthrough video that was done for PAX? Lot of early in game footage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7WHHQokRGs

Or the combat video preview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e-Fl4D2NOE

The official site also has several videos and theres other bits that have been released here and there.

Fonds

I just don't understand why people are basing their expectations on the CG trailer.

When Blizzard first released their intro for WoW nobody thought they'd be throwing around trees as a tauren.

There's more than enough ingame footage to base your opinions on.

DurielBlack said:
Uhm, gameplay videos aren't hard at all to find. Try the official site, they have some short walkthrough videos there.

Now if your looking for a lengthy walkthrough video played by an actual gamer and not some rep or press people...I'd like to see some of those too. Hopefully there will be some coming out during this e3 if they really have a playable demo on the floor.

I'm hoping this comes out in early 2011, I'm getting a bit of an MMO itch again but want to stay away from WoW. Starcraft 2 isn't going to have the old community that I remember and even though some of my old guildies are coming out of the woodwork for it I don't think theres enough interest anymore to keep us together for more than a few months.
Maybe I'm not looking at the right videos (could be, I don't stay that current with the game), but everything thus far is the same 90% Watching People Talk, 5% Cutscene, 5% cropped "battles". They're awful and I've complained about them before.

Frankly, because this is an MMO I really just don't give a shit about cinematics. There's MMOs that have infinitely better story than Warcraft, but what has kept me there for better or worse is the same thing I initially started playing for: Gameplay.

If the show floor delivers, I'll happily eat these words, but so far Bioware just hasn't impressed me.

fanboi

Banned
Freyjadour said:
Maybe I'm not looking at the right videos (could be, I don't stay that current with the game), but everything thus far is the same 90% Watching People Talk, 5% Cutscene, 5% cropped "battles". They're awful and I've complained about them before.

Frankly, because this is an MMO I really just don't give a shit about cinematics. There's MMOs that have infinitely better story than Warcraft, but what has kept me there for better or worse is the same thing I initially started playing for: Gameplay.

If the show floor delivers, I'll happily eat these words, but so far Bioware just hasn't impressed me.

Isn't WoW considered to have one the most fleshed out storys/backstory?

JayDubya

Banned
disappeared said:

There have been - in EU sources, tabletop, and video games anyway - certain force powers and class abilities that allow for the harmless absorption of energy.

In the example I remember best, d20 RCR Star Wars, it was a Force-user only feat that allowed for a Fortitude saving throw of 10 + energy damage taken; make it, and you actually regain a bit of vitality. Course... that meant in game terms that the high level force user could frequently shrug off a blaster bolt, but probably not a lightsaber - at least, not in the hands of a high level Jedi or Sith.

Stahsky

fanboi said:
Isn't WoW considered to have one the most fleshed out storys/backstory?

Yes. The Warcraft story is pretty well told. Not sure what he is getting at there.

EvaPlusMinus said:
Yes. The Warcraft story is pretty well told. Not sure what he is getting at there.

In game, not really. The universe has a well fleshed out background, but in game it's pretty minimal in presentation outside of some of the big raid content. Your character is also not all that into the story as much as just hanging out in the world.

Stahsky

BattleMonkey said:
In game, not really. The universe has a well fleshed out background, but in game it's pretty minimal in presentation outside of some of the big raid content.

Probably due to the fact that most of the content outside of the raid zones are useless filler.

The story is still there. You just need a group of brave* soldiers to accompany you to see it.

*GEARSCORE BITCHES

EvaPlusMinus said:
Probably due to the fact that most of the content outside of the raid zones are useless filler.

The story is still there. You just need a group of brave* soldiers to accompany you to see it.

Lot of the raid content itself is pretty minimal on actual story as well outside of the major character/end game raids. The story is there, but your not really part of it as being much of an observer.

Acosta

BattleMonkey said:
In game, not really. The universe has a well fleshed out background, but in game it's pretty minimal in presentation outside of some of the big raid content. Your character is also not all that into the story as much as just hanging out in the world.

Some of the best chain quests of WoW are very story driven.

Stahsky

I still dislike having to progress through a story in an MMO, but Blizzard pulled it off quite well. I'm hoping they do so here.

I'd rather just have a new Kotor and Warcraft for the story driven sets, though.

EvaPlusMinus said:

Sorry, World of Warcraft, not Warcraft 2 et al. That was pretty good, but never cared much for WC3 characters other than Thrall. As an example, FFXI's storytelling is eons better than WoW's. I of course loved the bits of great lore in Vanilla like the Fordring quest line, however.

Oh, and some lovely cropped, no UI, placed camera gameplay videos out there. Exactly what I wanted to see.

EvaPlusMinus said:
I still dislike having to progress through a story in an MMO, but Blizzard pulled it off quite well. I'm hoping they do so here.

I'd rather just have a new Kotor and Warcraft for the story driven sets, though.

My impression is it's a big mistake here, but we'll see. What a lot of people forget is the sheer time you put into an MMO makes you forget about a lot of the story and lore and setting as you hone in on the gameplay. A pretty cutscene or a memorable quest line alone won't keep you playing for years. And I don't see Bioware bridging the gap on this either.

JayDubya said:
So much FUD in this thread - Revenge of the Sith was awesome. I and II aren't really welcome in the ol' DVD player for any reason, but the fact that RotS exists almost justifies their existence. Almost.

Man, I really want to play this game with the wife and friends... collaborative Bioware dialogue trees and alignment consequences still seems like a very interesting extension of the KotOR series... almost into the realm of tabletop.

Of course, the danger there, if they don't do it right, is like unto bringing the utter dysfunction you can find in tabletop... I can only imagine the frustration of saying, "why yes, hard-up widow of a veteran of this prolonged conflict, I have some creds you can have," whilst your partner is hacking her up with his lightsaber. In tabletop, of course, you're responsible for managing the consequences of the decisions of the whole team... they've already presented several scenarios / examples where you can spare the crew of a Sith ship or execute them all... I'm curious what happens when the two players take diametrically opposed positions in a classic Bioware plot-impacting choice.
Holy shit you're alive. Where the fuck have you been?

Blackface

Banned
syoaran said:
really liked the trailer - dont mind that there is no gameplay for this yet as the game is still not due for at least another year

There has been Alpha gameplay up for about half a year.

Blader5489 said:
I thought she was using force pushing against it.
I'm a geek for knowing this but there's a force ability that lets you absorb energy--Vader used it in The Empire Strikes Back to absorb Han's blaster bolts. This is just an exaggerated use of that ability.

Top Bottom