• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic E3 CG Trailer [EA-CONF]

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Shrinnan said:
Exactly. It's still up for debate whether or not BioWare will fix the grind problem that plagues most MMOs, but their comment was right on point. It's good to know that they recognize it and are attempting to fix it.
Yea.. right now its all talk. We havent seen much to show how different it is (i know of the trailers that demonstrate choice during instances but how frequent are they? For all we know its as common as the Undercity siege in Wotlk). Hopefully they pull it off and help usher in an age of MMOs where interactive story is a huge component of the game. i really miss the single player rpgs but MMOs are going away so revolution must be brought to them.

EviLore said:
Don't use a special E3 2010 tag for e3-related threads; every thread's going to be e3-related anyway. Just throwing "E3" in there somewhere is fine. Beyond that, you should identify whether trailers are CG, gameplay, realtime cinematic, etc. Title changed.
Ok I'll do that next time, sorry for now and thanks for the tip.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
water_wendi said:
Yea.. right now its all talk. We havent seen much to show how different it is (i know of the trailers that demonstrate choice during instances but how frequent are they? For all we know its as common as the Undercity siege in Wotlk). Hopefully they pull it off and help usher in an age of MMOs where interactive story is a huge component of the game. i really miss the single player rpgs but MMOs are going away so revolution must be brought to them.

I really believe story was always the missing component to an MMORPG. RPGs are renowned for their story so it always made sense to me that they would fit nicely in an MMO environment where the gametype was an RPG. That's not to say ever "MMO" game needs story. If it's an MMOFPS, then the FPS part has to matter as much as the MMO part. RPG doesn't fit into that equation.

BioWare is definitely the right developer to tackle any type of revolution that needs to be done with MMORPGs. If they can't do it, then I don't know a developer who can.

BattleMonkey said:
I'm sure this video has been in the works for a long time. The studio probably has a ton of CG projects ongoing at the same time. This level of quality takes time.

This one is a tad bit longer than their usual intros, but I have checked out production pipeline articles on blur and it doesnt take them more than 2-3 months to make these.

Minamu

BattleMonkey said:
To be fair that was a Sith Lord he was fighting against, not some general sith peon. That was Darth Malgus who also took over the Jedi Temple in the other trailer.
Was it really Malgus? :S Anyway, I'm stoked for this game again.

castlegar

HOLY SHIT. Did not disappoint, trailer was f'in amazing. But once again, just like the SWFU trailer, now I almost want a full CG movie that looks like this more than the game.

Though I will of course both buy and play the shit out of this, too

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Shrinnan said:
I really believe story was always the missing component to an MMORPG.

I know no one cares, but uh...8 years ago FF XI came out you know. :lol It's pretty damn story based.

Retro

For a new page:

Original Video is down, Use this link while you can, EA is snuffing this out pretty fast;

http://attackofthefanboy.com/videos/star-wars-republic-e3-trailer-hope/

The Faceless Master said:

Or Those :lol

Just finished watching it myself... wow. I really hope it plays even half that incredibly, but I know it won't. Still, what gorgeous giggle-inducing CG.

Trickster

Minamu said:

Yeah it's him, it shows you how he ended up using that mouthbreather he has on when he attacks the jedi temple.

Minamu said:

It was mentioned elsewhere before this came out that this trailer would feature him and it does look like him as it seems to show how he got all messed up as he was in the previous trailer. They are putting lot of focus on the character it seems, with him getting his own novel also.

Shrennin

Kintaro said:
I know no one cares, but uh...8 years ago FF XI came out you know. :lol It's pretty damn story based.

I never played it and I have heard it takes a more story centric approach but I was talking more along the lines of what BioWare is doing with the conversation wheels and whatnot (integrating story into the gameplay to keep it fresh).

Kintaro said:

Somewhat, but not to the extent they are doing TOR. For the most part this is basically 8 different complete single player compaigns mixed in with MMO aspects. There is full discussion trees with branching choices like the KOTOR/ME games, each class has unique storyline companion npcs that are fully developed characters as well, completely voiced.

Really right now so far they have pretty much shown off nothing but a single player game so far, as the actual reasons this is a MMO are unknown. All previewed stuff so far has been story/single player focused. It's kind of odd in that respect.

FFXI kind of took your general MMO storyline progression and made it a bit more elaborate with full cutscenes and such.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Kintaro said:
FFXI did some good stuff too like having it where you can talk to everyone around. Still the next logical step is interactivity in dialogue esp when you consider that MMOs collapsed the wrpg single player market while the jrpg market is still going (not as strong lately but more titles than their wrpg cousins by far).

ultron87

Well that was pretty damn awesome.

Even if this game turns out to be crap at least we've gotten 10 minutes of awesome CG footage from their 2 trailers. :lol

Jackl

I want to believe, I want to Believe so hard. But I have that dragging doubt in the back of my head. I know EA/Bioware are budgeting/playing for keeps, but so many before have failed.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
BattleMonkey said:
Somewhat, but not to the extent they are doing TOR. For the most part this is basically 8 different complete single player compaigns mixed in with MMO aspects. There is full discussion trees with branching choices like the KOTOR/ME games, each class has unique storyline companion npcs that are fully developed characters as well, completely voiced.

Really right now so far they have pretty much shown off nothing but a single player game so far, as the actual reasons this is a MMO are unknown. All previewed stuff so far has been story/single player focused. It's kind of odd in that respect.

FFXI kind of took your general MMO storyline progression and made it a bit more elaborate with full cutscenes and such.

FFXI took single player FF RPG aspects and worked it into their MMO. TOR is looking to attempt the same thing with current WRPG aspects. However, what is kind of worrying is that they have showed nothing featuring multiple players, battles or anything of the sort yet.

I'm hoping they show something like that this E3, but wouldn't surprise me if they didn't.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Kintaro said:
FFXI took single player FF RPG aspects and worked it into their MMO. TOR is looking to attempt the same thing with current WRPG aspects. However, what is kind of worrying is that they have showed nothing featuring multiple players, battles or anything of the sort yet.

I'm hoping they show something like that this E3, but wouldn't surprise me if they didn't.
Its still a year off. Given the reaction to the early shots i can see them being real tight on stuff until its ready to demo.

Shrennin

Kintaro said:

The have shown multiple players. The Flashpoint last E3 was with two different characters (like a two-person instance). They have also shown, through their ViDocs and whatnot, PVP.

That was still when BioWare said they were focusing on the story pillar, but this E3 we should see a lot more MMO features revealed.

Kintaro said:

I too am leary on the MMO part. Being able to have NPC's join you and the gameplay previews so far have been what would amount to a single player KOTOR game. How exactly this will all come together as a MMO seems kind of flakey which is my one concern, that they might try to slap on the multiplayer aspects of the game which will dissapoint those expecting a giant open world mmo like so many others.

The game kind sounds like it will be heavily instanced.

Shrennin

BattleMonkey said:

I can try to find the quote, but I recall BioWare saying that 90% of the game will be non-instanced.

EDIT: Actually, I found the direct quote and it isn't exactly how I thought it was (so I changed my initial wording) but the effect is still the same:

Quote from James Olhen: "Our public areas are one contiguous world", "Not just our cities - 90% of the game, actually, will be areas where you can run into other players" - PC Gamer UK April 2010

Quote from James Olhen: "Its not going to feel like a heavily instanced game" - PC Gamer UK April 2010

Courtesy of:

http://swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=33345

Tritroid said:
Amazing. Bioware is truely rivaling Blizzard here with their CGI cinematic skills.

The art design is amazing, the story premise is very cool, and the cinematics do nothing but drive more hype...but we need to be seeing a lot more in-game videos by now than we are. The cinematics will only hype for so long (See: Warhammer).

This is not Bioware's CG handywork. it's Blur Studios.

And trust me. These guys ROCK.

Jackl

BattleMonkey said:
I too am leary on the MMO part. Being able to have NPC's join you and the gameplay previews so far have been what would amount to a single player KOTOR game. How exactly this will all come together as a MMO seems kind of flakey which is my one concern, that they might try to slap on the multiplayer aspects of the game which will dissapoint those expecting a giant open world mmo like so many others.

That too is my worry, instanced/phased solo/group quest and adventures aside. Massive battles(and not 15v15 capture the flag please, thx) over worlds and objectives hopefully aren't compartmentalized into instances.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
These CG trailers have looked really great. I've never played an MMO before but Bioware are tempting me. Will there actually be battles like this is or will it be more like the old KOTOR games?

Trickster

Ushojax said:
These CG trailers have looked really great. I've never played an MMO before but Bioware are tempting me. Will there actually be battles like this is or will it be more like the old KOTOR games?

Don't think we really now yet. I mean, there are some footage of gameplay from very early in the game, but to my knowledge we know virtually nothing about what the game will be like when you reach the "endgame" part of it.

I hope we get some gameplay footage this week. When is it scheduled for release? If it is a 2010 game then they have to start showing gameplay soon.

Trickster

I <3 Memes said:
I hope we get some gameplay footage this week. When is it scheduled for release? If it is a 2010 game then they have to start showing gameplay soon.

Think they are shooting for a Q1 2011 release. And I'm pretty sure I've also read that there would be some gameplay demonstrations at E3.

Blackface

Banned
I <3 Memes said:

They have shown gameplay already
It's coming out in 2011

gibration

I <3 Memes said:
I believe G4TV is having a 30 minute special for it tomorrow.

Trickster said:
Yeah I know. But I just find it a bit annoying that so far, there's been a heavy focus on the jedi and sith classes in their trailers. And when we finally see a badass stormtrooper, he's made too look pretty weak compared to the sith class because they make him fight someone that's probably gonna be a raid boss in the game :lol

if a trooper/non jedi beat a jedi/sith, people are naturally going to make the assumption that the jedi/sith was not powerful, because the most powerful jedis and sith could not be killed by non force users!

It's kinda peoples mentality. Obi-Wan struggled against Jango! But he was not a match in the end. They never are.

Therefore, it's simply going to become one of this games biggest problem to balance it out. you have a zealous fanbase that rather want correct lore and mythology than balance in the name of good gameplay. Some Star Wars fans are almost over the top delusional with these things. It's when fandom gets taken to far.

I usually don't get hot and bothered about trailers, but that one was flat out amazing. Thank you thank you thank you. Can't wait to see the game demos this week.

Shrennin

gibration said:
Not sure but I hope so.

Me too, otherwise it's not 30 minutes of TOR footage. It's some odd number of minutes of TOR footage laced with 10-15 minutes of commercials.

After watching the trailer a second time, and viewing gameplay trailers over past month I am def. sold on buying it. Can't wait to form a group with you GAFers.

Shrennin

The_Inquisitor said:
After watching the trailer a second time, and viewing gameplay trailers over past month I am def. sold on buying it. Can't wait to form a group with you GAFers.

This has been my most anticipated game to see this E3. I was kinda surprised how no one mentioned it on their most anticipated list (as far as gaming press) but hopefully it will be a huge hit this E3. I cannot wait.

I'm up for joining a guild as well, once I figure out how many of my friends are getting the game (a lot of them are excited) and see what they want to do (I know we are going to be Sith).

Top Bottom