• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic E3 CG Trailer [EA-CONF]

Vigilant Walrus said:
if a trooper/non jedi beat a jedi/sith, people are naturally going to make the assumption that the jedi/sith was not powerful, because the most powerful jedis and sith could not be killed by non force users!

It's kinda peoples mentality. Obi-Wan struggled against Jango! But he was not a match in the end. They never are.

Therefore, it's simply going to become one of this games biggest problem to balance it out. you have a zealous fanbase that rather want correct lore and mythology than balance in the name of good gameplay. Some Star Wars fans are almost over the top delusional with these things. It's when fandom gets taken to far.

It's hard for fans to accept that the characters in the movie were "special". Wizards of the Coast put it well with noting how these characters are heroic characters, they are hard to kill, they have better luck than anyone else. Stormtroopers are supposed to be elite trained killers, yet against the heroes of the movies they look like bumbling idiots for example.

Even the Jedi in the prequels are shown getting killed by your average clone troopers. Jango who is a human takes out a jedi in the arena in ep 2 for example.

It's hard to appease everyone though as they have preconceived notions like all Jedi are uber bad ass gods though we see a bunch get gunned down by the generic battle droids in the movie for example as they charge at each other. Everyone is not Obi Wan :p

Nizz

Between this and the Force Unleashed 2 trailer, I'd love to see a full movie(s) done like this. Such badass imagery/action taking place in these trailers.

DemiMatt

Quadrangulum said:
Too bad the in-game combat can never even come close to approximating the trailer.

THis. I remember seeing the OG trailer and I was crazy impressed with it, but then it hit me. The game itself will never be as epic as these trailers. It will be a boring grindfest and maybe... end game content will be ok....

Man these trailers look great and I just wish they made a single player version of the game that was just RPG style.

DemiMatt said:
THis. I remember seeing the OG trailer and I was crazy impressed with it, but then it hit me. The game itself will never be as epic as these trailers. It will be a boring grindfest and maybe... end game content will be ok....

Man these trailers look great and I just wish they made a single player version of the game that was just RPG style.

Even if they didn't make it a MMO and t was a single player game, the combat would not be anything like this trailer either.

LaneDS

I'm not even a big Star Wars fan anymore but I think these E3 CG trailers are some of the most amazing things I've seen in motion. So damn great.

DemiMatt

BattleMonkey said:
Even if they didn't make it a MMO and t was a single player game, the combat would not be anything like this trailer either.

your right but you would be more involved with the story instead of focus on getting stronger and more loots.

In this game you will be killing womp rats outside of mos eisly for the 1st month of playing :p

DemiMatt said:
your right but you would be more involved with the story instead of focus on getting stronger and more loots.

In this game you will be killing womp rats outside of mos eisly for the 1st month of playing :p

From the hands on previews, it doesn't sound like you will be doing that at all, and straight into the storyline aspect.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
DemiMatt said:
What Battle Monkey said. Everything shown so far seems to have your character be very important to both the game story arc and the class story arc from the start. Its seems to be like how in the Kotor games you start off in the middle of things without being a green newbie fresh off the farm.

nexen

BattleMonkey said:
Even the Jedi in the prequels are shown getting killed by your average clone troopers. Jango who is a human takes out a jedi in the arena in ep 2 for example.

Jedi Master.

Everything else is spot on though. Jedi get slaughtered by troopers in EP2 and EP3.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
The main thing i cannot wait for is to be a non-Force class and go out of my way to kill Jedi/Sith. i can hear them crying already "Daddy! How can they kill me? i have a lightsaber! Waaah!"

Yasae

Banned
Good overall. Holy crap is slow-mo - normal speed - slow-mo editing getting overused, though. It's now a cliche.

And we should be thankful to the prequels for providing ALL the music in this trailer. Funny how people say this is better, but they do not appreciate the underlying groundwork laid from previous films that weren't very good in most aspects - except aurally.

I wish the gameplay vids could live up to this. Pity.

water_wendi said:
The main thing i cannot wait for is to be a non-Force class and go out of my way to kill Jedi/Sith. i can hear them crying already "Daddy! How can they kill me? i have a lightsaber! Waaah!"

That bitching ruined star wars galaxies. Jedi were made so overpowered and would go one against like 5-6 guys and still win in pvp. It really became pointless to do pvp if a jedi was involved, you had no role anymore.

Trickster

Tideas said:
boring. CG? Come on now, we need some in-game trailers.

There is already several gameplay and ingame footage videoes on gametrailers. And they are gonna be demoing the game on the showfloor, so there's gonna be plenty of stuff in the next few days.

Darklord

Banned
firehawk12 said:
They really need to show the game instead of these cartoons. It's starting to feel like a long con now.

Give me a break. They've showed quite a bit of in-game stuff considering how far away it still is. We've gotten 2 great CGI trailers and you're calling it a con? This is an MMO they always do this.

Xamdou

So everyone get's a starship! I shall construct an Ebon Hawk and make a character that looks exactly like Revan and Bastilla!!!! :D

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
BattleMonkey said:
Rumor that there will ships that you can customize. Hope that ends up being true and perhaps revealed at the E3 events
i could see that being used for when you travel from one planet to the another. Perhaps different situations happen en route. Say you are going to do an instance quest. You and your party choose which ship to travel on. Maybe there is a fighter attack that needs to be thwarted during travel or a boarding party that attacks.

i could also see the ship being used for more than just a player housing type thing.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Darklord said:
Give me a break. They've showed quite a bit of in-game stuff considering how far away it still is. We've gotten 2 great CGI trailers and you're calling it a con? This is an MMO they always do this.

I don't care about the engine and graphics and all that stupid nerd crap. I just want to know if they are going to make people kill 10 womprats for the old Jedi Hermit living on Alderaan in order to level up - ie, if it plays like every other MMO ever made.

Blackface

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
Rumor that there will ships that you can customize. Hope that ends up being true and perhaps revealed at the E3 events

It was announced. Which is awesome, and they will work a lot like player housing (which people have begged for in WoW for 5 years). Hopefully they will also be used in space combat.

Nice to see starships added to the game. I wonder how far we'll be able to go with customization or if its from a certain number of premade parts like Star Trek Online.

mysteriousmage09 said:
Blizzard does in-game trailers with WoW just fine.

Everyone and their grandmother knows what WoW looks like. There is no point in them trying to do something different, it's not like more than 11 million have played it already over so many years. These are just hype building cg trailers, which Blizzard themselves do.

JayDubya

Banned
MMOs are also notorious for CG only hypefests because the actual final graphics and resources don't go up until really fucking late, and even then, they keep revising them up to and well, even after the last minute with updates.

Which kind of makes them not "final," I guess, which actually kind of goes with my point here. :lol

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
mysteriousmage09 said:
Blizzard does in-game trailers with WoW just fine.
Blizzard had their share of CG trailers before Wow launched. The few gameplay ones from ECTS and E3 2k3 looked horrible because they tried to take the real gameplay and pass it off as crazy furious action.

JWong

Banned
water_wendi said:
Blizzard had their share of CG trailers before Wow launched. The few gameplay ones from ECTS and E3 2k3 looked horrible because they tried to take the real gameplay and pass it off as crazy furious action.
Those CG trailers are just the game intros... not a trailer specifically made for an event or marketing.

EA's done special trailers for WAR and TOR.

Blizz didn't even have a CG trailer at Blizzcon for Cataclysm.

firehawk12 said:
They really need to show the game instead of these cartoons. It's starting to feel like a long con now.
How about going to the website and watching one of the many many many gameplay videos available?

JWong said:
Those CG trailers are just the game intros... not a trailer specifically made for an event or marketing.

It's odd that they have done 2 for TOR right now, but the WAR one was the games intro as well.

Trickster

JWong said:

They didn't do it when they announced WotLK either. But that's really because they don't need to make a pretty CG trailer to hype up the fans anymore.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
JWong said:
Thats incorrect. Watch this and tell me where it is on my Wow cds.

Who cares. Its not like gameplay videos are obfuscated. Theres been tons released over the last year with each one looking better. Theyve only done CG trailers for E3 afaik and its to build hype. Which leads to..

Blizzard doesnt need to get buzz going for Wow :lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ignis Fatuus said:
How about going to the website and watching one of the many many many gameplay videos available?

To quote myself:

firehawk12 said:
I don't care about the engine and graphics and all that stupid nerd crap. I just want to know if they are going to make people kill 10 womprats for the old Jedi Hermit living on Alderaan in order to level up - ie, if it plays like every other MMO ever made.

Nolimit_SS said:
This is shaping out to be awesome, I just wish there were some new gameplay videos out.
I think we will be getting some in the next few days from people who are playing it on the show floor.

Trickster

firehawk12 said:
To quote myself:

Most of the videoes focus on showing you what places you are gonna visit. And there's a long gameplay demonstration that shows off things like the dialogue system and special class driven missions.

But honestly, if you don't even care enough about the game to look up a few gameplay videoes on your own. Then it doesn't really seem as if you have any interest in the game at all.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Trickster said:
Most of the videoes focus on showing you what places you are gonna visit. And there's a long gameplay demonstration that shows off things like the dialogue system and special class driven missions.

But honestly, if you don't even care enough about the game to look up a few gameplay videoes on your own. Then it doesn't really seem as if you have any interest in the game at all.

I have been keeping up with the game on and off, so I'll admit I'm not exactly frothing at the mouth to play the game. My understanding is that, at least several months ago, they're still trying to work out how to handle dialog choices within a party.

Maybe to be precise, I'd like a longer explanation of the game flow and the grinding process. Stuff like the ratio of special missions/story missions to stock missions and how solo'able the game will be.

I just felt like if they could spend 10 minutes trotting out Joe Montana to talk about a game everyone will buy regardless of quality, they could do the same with TOR as well.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Hopefully well see something like that this E3. Its still a year out though so E3 2010 would be about the last chance Bioware could demo it with such a large venue.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
water_wendi said:
Hopefully well see something like that this E3. Its still a year out though so E3 2010 would be about the last chance Bioware could demo it with such a large venue.

That's what I'm hoping for as well. Maybe for most people a trailer is cool, but I was hoping for more substantial information than "you get your own starship".

Top Bottom