• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic - E3 Recap Tread

Alex said:
E3 really doesnt seem like a good place to demo an MMO. These videos don't really show jack except a bunch of confused people running around, manually clicking abilities and making the whole affair look sluggish and awkward.

Yea lot of people just standing around with no clue. Really they should if possible have very limited closed demo segments going but I guess it's easier to just have the game up and running in it's current build than make a special demo for the con

Ainaurdur

Even though you can't actually play him, the inclusion of Blizz made me very happy. Definitely going to have to play a BH now.

ShootingB1anks said:
Does this game have a story line?
Every MMO has a story line, and some of them can be quite deep. Bioware is putting an even bigger emphasis on story than any other MMO though, with fully voiced cutscenes and everything a la Mass Effect and Dragon Age. That said, as an MMO it's also inherently multiplayer as everyone on a given server exists in the same persistent world.

I'm not sure why you think stories are only possible with single player.

Rokam

There is a main storyline for each class that is strictly a single player story with no grouping required. And obviously there will be tons of other storylines as well.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
ShootingB1anks said:
Does this game have a story line? I mean is there a single player experience here or should I expect multiplayer only.

Each class has it's own storyline, with each one lasting about 200 hours they say. It's an MMO so there is no such thing as "single player", but you can play through and experience the story by yourself if you don't want to play with other people. You're not forced to play with others if you don't want to.

Spire said:
you can play through and experience the story by yourself if you don't want to play with other people. You're not forced to play with others if you don't want to.

That is what I wanted to hear. I was worried I would be forced to connect ot xbox live to play the game. I don't know anyone on live and at 34 years old don't work with anybody that plays the xbox either. Everyone I work with has at least a Masters degree (like myself), and they scoff at me playing video games.

I just wanted to sit at home while my wife sleeps and play the game in my basement.

Rokam said:
There is a main storyline for each class that is strictly a single player story with no grouping required. And obviously there will be tons of other storylines as well.
Well depending on how PvP restrictions are handled (and in the current beta build they are quite laissez faire) you might experience some involuntary multiplayer.

ShootingB1anks said:
That is what I wanted to hear. I was worried I would be forced to connect ot xbox live to play the game. I don't know anyone on live and at 34 years old don't work with anybody that plays the xbox either. Everyone I work with has at least a Masters degree (like myself), and they scoff at me playing video games.

I just wanted to sit at home at night while my wife sleeps and play the game in my basement.
Oh boy. Where do I begin.

What makes you think this is a console game?

apana

Wow at that CG trailer. Can EA spend the MMO money on making a feature length film instead? That looked like real life.

apana said:
Wow at that CG trailer. Can EA spend the MMO money on making a feature length film instead? That looked like real life.
There are three of them. This is only the latest, though they made them in reverse chronological order.

Go look up the "Hope" and "Deceived" trailers. They're even better in my opinion.

apana

Ignis Fatuus said:
There are three of them. This is only the latest, though they made them in reverse chronological order.

Go look up the "Hope" and "Deceived" trailers. They're even better in my opinion.

Nope I think the new "Return" CG trailer definitely looked better than the previous two. It's strange I am so interested in the lore and story of the game, but I really don't have any desire to actually play the MMO.

Lebron

Those off-screen vids looked great. Game keeps looking better and better with each new showing(which is how it should be).

kitzkozan

BattleMonkey said:
Yea lot of people just standing around with no clue. Really they should if possible have very limited closed demo segments going but I guess it's easier to just have the game up and running in it's current build than make a special demo for the con

That live demo was beyond brutal however, just wow at the dude playing. -_- I ultimately understand why they do that, as mmorpg gameplay usually isn't the greatest and they want to put the game in the hands of as many people as possible at expos.

The latest CG trailer was the best imo, being on par with what you see in an AAA Blizzard game. Absolutely incredible stuff and more inspired than any of the prequel movies which is quite sad. :p

Retrofluxed

Possible SWTOR release window? This slide is from EA's E3 investors meeting today.

Swtorrelease.png

Even better, the full slideshow.

apana

Everyone should go on the old republic site assuming you haven't already, they have really cool videos on the storyline leading up to this. I hope we get more CG trailers going forward.

bjaelke

Yes, the deal with Blur was 3 cinematics.

Daniel Erickson just confirmed on Gamespot that there wont be an open beta (free for all). It will be more closed off - probably some tie-in with Origin and pre-orders.

piratepwnsninja said:
For those who don't know, we're currently in FY Q1 2012.

Also, anyone see the Razer peripherals yet? The keyboard is stupid expensive, but it is so slick looking and has a multitouch LCD panel built it. I think I want one...

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/08/these-are-the-old-republic-razer-peripherals-youre-looking-for/

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2011/06/swtorkeyboard.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Posted a video of it above.

LowParry

Strange to hear that there won't be an open beta. Though if they treat pre purchase customers with closed beta entry, I hope that will be enough to stress test their servers come launch. From what I've seen, read, etc., I'm so ready to play this game. Very very excited for it.

WillyFive

The environments are comically huge, but I guess that's on purpose due to being an MMO and avoiding crowded corridors.

Looks great.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Ignis Fatuus said:
Well depending on how PvP restrictions are handled (and in the current beta build they are quite laissez faire) you might experience some involuntary multiplayer.

Nice I like that. I loved the faction based PVP realm style of WoW. It was always fun doing some random quest with a group then suddenly stumbling across a group of red names doing a quest in the same area and thinking "Oh yea it's go time!"

I hope there is lots of opportunity/incentive for some world pvp.

syoaran

The keyboard is actually quite competitive in price. Logitech's high end offers are about the same price, even higher here in the UK. I'm tempted by the multi-touch, as I do a lot of photo work and a convenient zoom in/zoom out feature is always appreciated

On a minor note, I got into Aion recently as part of its reactivation week. I'm enjoying it a lot, but its funny how close Aion and TOR feel when your playing them. Both have strong single player (TOR's is infinitely better ofc) and the chance for random groupings at certain points, but could easily be played without chat or multiplayer of any kind.

bjaelke

Yeah both those streams were horrible. Stephen Reid promises new Alderaan and Tatooine footage on the website soon.

Top Bottom