• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic [Releasing Date: Dec 20 NA/EU - NDA Lifted]

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjaelke

Yaska said:
But there are nothing barring you from creating a player-run system on bounties :p Example: Make a website where people hit person's name and amount they're paying for his head, then shoot a screenshot and first to come will claim the bounty.
I think the guys behind r2db have been working on something similar to this. Problem is you have to transfer the money (to a third party account) before the kill, so they know you're good for it.

Sigfodr

Anyone notice that CAD is doing a storyline about the NDA?

Edit: If I need to remove this, just let me know. Each image links to the source.

Edit 2: Removed comics since everyone hates CAD and they weren't funny anyway.

imoTEP12

HotHamWater said:
If you've played any other MMO ever, then you know TOR's gameplay. Perhaps with the exception of the space stuff.

Personally I find that disappointing.

Did you think they were going to invent some new play style never seen before?

Emitan

imoTEP12 said:
Its probably for the best if you tried not to remember.
I lost so many brain cells from it that it's impossible for me to remember. Let's just all pretend Bum Tickley won't be playing TOR with us.

Jackl

bill0527 said:
No way. You give Blizzard too much credit. Blizzard will try to do something, but no way can they can they get a major content patch out in that time frame. It took them 7 months to get their first major content patch, and that was last week. No way can they pump out their next major content patch in 2-3 months.

I've got a better conspiracy theory.

With all the vague puffery of Diablo3 maybe making 2011. I think they're willing to drop it on TOR just to suck the wind out of their sails(sales).

Emitan

Jackl said:

With all the vague puffery of Diablo3 maybe making 2011. I think they're willing to drop it on TOR just to suck the wind out of their sails(sales).
They'd have to do the beta first.

Sigfodr

BattleMonkey said:
I try not to notice many things about CAD
HarryDemeanor said:
People read CAD?
Pendulum said:
I remember when CAD tried to do a storyline once before...
imoTEP12 said:
Its probably for the best if you tried not to remember.
Billychu said:
I lost so many brain cells from it that it's impossible for me to remember. Let's just all pretend Bum Tickley won't be playing TOR with us.
Qwomo said:
Why would you post CAD.

Why.
Yeah, I knew most people don't care for CAD, but I still check it out occasionally and thought it interesting that a webcomic would base a story on the strictness of the NDA for TOR.

Qwomo

Yaska said:
CAD aint too bad, also Rockjaw tweeted about those comics few times, and those 3 are pretty funny.
DjJsr.jpg

Fonds

Posted a small thread on our guildpage about needing officers to help me moderate. Head on over if you're in the european NeoGAF republic guild.

Jackl said:

I think Blizzcon will give some major updates, a startdate for the beta and perhaps even a releasedate but don't expect to see it come out before TOR. As diablo is known to be a pretty pvp heavy game, balancing needs to be done pretty extensive.
I'm thinking a beta testing phase that's a bit less long than SC2. And that one took about 4-5 months if I recall correctly. They might get it in just before the end of 2011.

But seeing what I saw from Diablo 3 up to now I truly doubt it'll be released before 2011. Blizzcon is gonna need to show us some MASSIVE updates.

Morn

Banned
Flashpoints are playable at Comic Con...but you need to win a lottery to get in:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=374342

Hi all!

As mentioned on Sunday, we've got a limited number of play sessions during several nights of Comic-Con to allow for select fans to play through the first hour of either the Esseles or Black Talon Flashpoints.

Two sessions will be held each night, on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday (July 21-23), one at 7PM, and one at 8PM. Each session will accommodate several groups of players for each Flashpoint. If you're going to be in San Diego next week, and you wish to RSVP for a chance to play, please follow the directions below exactly and in their entirety.

Photo ID will be required for entry. Please note that incomplete RSVP emails WILL NOT be considered for invites. We cannot guarantee your first choice of play time or Flashpoint.
Gather the following information:
- Full name (as shown on your ID)
- Preferred Night: Thursday, Friday, or Saturday
- Preferred Time: 7PM or 8PM
- Preferred Flashpoint: Esseles (Republic) or Black Talon (Empire)
Email all of the above info to events@swtor.com with the subject line: "RSVP for Flashpoint Gameplay at Comic-Con" by 10AM CST on Wednesday, July 13th.

Please note that anyone who wishes to play must send their own RSVP, and invites are non-transferable. Feel free to ask any questions you have below, but do NOT RSVP in this thread!

Blackface

Banned
I would not count player bounties out after the game launches at all. They already stating they are committed to adding major game features after SWTOR is published. Both the community, AND the beta community have expressed how much they want player bounties. A number of solutions have been brought to Bioware.

Something else I want to note, since it's already out there. Beta is missing major game mechanics and features. Which of course will be eventually put in and tested before launch. These features are new, and have not been talked about publically. I don't know what they are, and when I do, I won't say in this thread. But don't think what you see is SWTOR finished. It's not.

In terms of combat, if you don't like it, play another MMO. SWTOR is using traditional themepark MMO' combat. With their own unique Bioware twist on it. It's not the exact same as any other game. Their class system, is also unique. I think the way range classes play and handle in SWTOR is very unique. It is not the same as WoW, or really, any other MMO. Some of the melee are similar, but once again, still different.

There is really no other place to go for combat in MMO's except for action-based. Any MMo that wants a competitive end-game PVE and right now, even PVP environment is not going to be able to do this. The latency between you and the server plays a MAJOR role in not only where you view objects, but how much damage you do. It is estimated in WoW, that for every 100MS you go over 50 MS, you lose 1000's of DPS. Stuff like that is the difference between getting into a high-end guild, and not getting into one. Action-based combat, only COMPOUNDS this problem. There is a video online showing how much it impacts FPS games, and FPS games are designed from the ground up with this issue in-mind.

This also does not account for action-based game-play being horrible for people who experience performance slow-downs, or can't play on a half decent internet connection all the time (like those who travel or are in the military).

Would I like an action-based MMO that was balanced, fair and could account as easily as click-combat can for latency and lag? Yes. However, for a game that uses a multitude of abilities to work on a fundamental level, it's not possible right now. Even for an MMOFPS, like Planetside 2, technology was only recently created that will allow them to accomplish what they want to in a fast paced environment.

It's easy to bitch and complain. But it seems hard for a lot of people to use their fucking brains. I suggest doing the latter and not shitting up this thread.

Emitan

Finally was able to update my system specs for beta testing because the site had my old rig's specs. Will this increase my chances of getting into beta? Most likely not, but it makes me feel luckier.

Morn

Banned
Billychu said:
Finally was able to update my system specs for beta testing because the site had my old rig's specs. Will this increase my chances of getting into beta? Most likely not, but it makes me feel luckier.

Beta selection is random.

Jira

Kintaro said:
I will do the same, but in no way do I see this as a problem. =D

That's the thing, too many people are dead set on getting to endgame ASAP and then will only bitch once they've completed whatever content there is to do at endgame. For once, I am not concerned about getting to the cap to do the endgame content and I'm focused on seeing all of the stories while experiencing the endgame content at the same time. There's a real incentive to roll an alt for once, you're not just grinding to the endgame to "start playing".

gatti-man

Billychu said:
I had two accounts for three years. One under my now ex wife on an m17x sli laptop and me on a sli desktop. No dice.

JesseZao

I wonder if the PopCap deal will do anything to the Peggle and Bejeweled addons for WoW (or even the PvZ questline). Probably not, but I wouldn't be surprised if they got pulled. Be "funny" if they were turned into subliminal ads to play SWTOR.

Blackface

Banned
Jira said:
That's the thing, too many people are dead set on getting to endgame ASAP and then will only bitch once they've completed whatever content there is to do at endgame. For once, I am not concerned about getting to the cap to do the endgame content and I'm focused on seeing all of the stories while experiencing the endgame content at the same time. There's a real incentive to roll an alt for once, you're not just grinding to the endgame to "start playing".

Like I said before. I used to be one of those people. I hate grinding out quests and do it ASAP to reach end-game. To do end-game/end-game raiding, and power through that as fast as I possibly can.

Although this won't be the same for everyone, Bioware has changed the way I feel about story in a themepark MMO. SWTOR's grabs you right away, and is actually fun to play. You don't feel like you are doing a meaningless grind. As the "leveling" experience feels part of the epic content of the game.

People say WoW doesn't start until you hit level cap. That is not the case for SWTOR.

No keep in mind, I said a themepark MMO. In a Sandbox I still much prefer the system Planetside 2 will be using. But something like that would never work in this style of MMO.

DTKT

Blackface said:
Like I said before. I used to be one of those people. I hate grinding out quests and do it ASAP to reach end-game. To do end-game/end-game raiding, and power through that as fast as I possibly can.

Although this won't be the same for everyone, Bioware has changed the way I feel about story in a themepark MMO. SWTOR's grabs you right away, and is actually fun to play. You don't feel like you are doing a meaningless grind. As the "leveling" experience feels part of the epic content of the game.

People say WoW doesn't start until you hit level cap. That is not the case for SWTOR.

No keep in mind, I said a themepark MMO. In a Sandbox I still much prefer the system Planetside 2 will be using. But something like that would never work in this style of MMO.

Bolded the important part.

If Bioware can really do that, then I'm in!

Emitan

Morn said:
Beta selection is random.
I know. But maybe they find an issue with a specific part I have and need to invite me to fix it. I know it basically does nothing but it makes me feel a bit better for no reason other than a placebo effect.

Giolon

Billychu said:
I know. But maybe they find an issue with a specific part I have and need to invite me to fix it. I know it basically does nothing but it makes me feel a bit better for no reason other than a placebo effect.

Bioware addressed this on their general forums recently. Your specific computer configuration may temporarily raise or lower your chances of getting in as the testing progresses as they add hardware that's been newly made compatible into consideration or fill up on configurations they already have plenty of.

Tweaking things doesn't really alter your chances of getting in significantly. On average, you do just as well leaving things alone.

JesseZao said:
I wonder if the PopCap deal will do anything to the Peggle and Bejeweled addons for WoW (or even the PvZ questline). Probably not, but I wouldn't be surprised if they got pulled. Be "funny" if they were turned into subliminal ads to play SWTOR.

Maybe they can get PopCap to create Pazaak for SWTOR.

JesseZao said:

Jim Reilly's twitter said PopCap: "No plans to remove Peggle from World of Warcraft."

It would be pretty funny if they did do anything stealth like that though.

CzarTim

Treythalomew said:
Jim Reilly's twitter said PopCap: "No plans to remove Peggle from World of Warcraft."

It would be pretty funny if they did do anything stealth like that though.
The addons are already out of date and won't load unless you give select them before going in game.

Sigfodr said:
Anyone notice that CAD is doing a storyline about the NDA?

Edit: If I need to remove this, just let me know. Each image links to the source.

Edit 2: Removed comics since everyone hates CAD and they weren't funny anyway.

Man, just a junior and already assimilated into the collective gaf opinion by peer pressure.
I don't like CAD either (it's kinda pedestrian) but you should feel more confident in your opinion when it comes to such trivial things.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Yaska said:
I might be the only one, but I'd really like the crewmembers actually DO something in the ship instead of standing in one place for hundreds of hours. Would look more natural if they would make food, banter with themselves or even sleep occasionally instead of just standing in one place.

That's partly the reason why Crew Skills exist. For instance, the crafting crew skills that you assign your companions make those companions craft while on the ship.

Yaska

Shrinnan said:
That's partly the reason why Crew Skills exist. For instance, the crafting crew skills that you assign your companions make those companions craft while on the ship.
I know that, but seeing as when they are not on a mission, they still could do something in the ship hehe.

Orgun

Yaska said:
I know that, but seeing as when they are not on a mission, they still could do something in the ship hehe.
There is a video on the TOR site that shows them pacing about and using terminals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom