• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic [Releasing Date: Dec 20 NA/EU - NDA Lifted]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darklord

Banned
Anyone who is in the beta, you probably can't confirm this but I read:

That Revan is alive(after 300 years??), there is a group called "Revanites" and apparently the story around him is very unsatisfying and feels unfulfilled as it currently is.

Wow, that kinda sucks if it's true. Revan was one of the big parts I was excited about.

gatti-man

Sigfodr said:
God dammit I hate this thing. That is twice what I expected for a CE, and just for a meh figure that will likely be crap quality. Now, Malgus is a cool enough character (after reading Deceived), but I am twenty-six and married with no space in my apartment. He will barely be visible, so why would I pay $80 for him. I really thought the pricing would be more in line with WAR or WoW CEs, but this just doesn't do it for me. Origin, huh? Well, I already have the client...
So you think the Titan CE will be $80? EA/Bioware are just pricing the CE for what the market will bear. Blizzards next mmo will have an over $100 CE you can take that to the bank.

However I wish it was cheaper and am surprised they actually had the balls to price it that high. Im hoping the digital CE will be far cheaper and still have the headstart. Thats all Im really paying for anyways.

Fonds

Here's to hoping that the 150 dollar pricetag is just someone making an uneducated guess.

If it's truly 150 dollars I'm just not going to cough it up. I love myself a good CE, but we're paying most of the money for a lame ass figurine.

Drop that sucker 60 dollars in price and I'm in. Otherwise it'll be digital CE for me.

Darklord said:

That Revan is alive(after 300 years??), there is a group called "Revanites" and apparently the story around him is very unsatisfying and feels unfulfilled as it currently is.

Wow, that kinda sucks if it's true. Revan was one of the big parts I was excited about.

I have a feeling everything will be revealed in due time.

Drew Karpyshyn is one of the senior writers on SWTOR. He was also the lead writer of the original KOTOR.

Giolon

Darklord said:

Maybe you should stop reading leaked "spoilers", wait until the game comes out, and make up your own opinion about what is/isn't in the game? As it is, you have no idea what's bullshit and what's real - or what biases leakers have.

Why get upset over something that you're looking forward to, when you don't even know if it is or isn't true?

Morn

Banned
Darklord said:

I wouldn't expect any story changes to happen. They stated at E3 that the writers are done with their content and just testing the game with everyone else.

Morn

Banned
Baller said:

Drew Karpyshyn is one of the senior writers on SWTOR. He was also the lead writer of the original KOTOR.

He also contradicts himself with TOR. He's the one who established that Sith cannot heal. Yet it's known that there are Sith healers in TOR, they showed it at E3.

Morn said:
He also contradicts himself with TOR. He's the one who established that Sith cannot heal. Yet it's known that there are Sith healers in TOR, they showed it at E3.

Hes a writer, he has little to do with the actual gameplay that the developers decide on. Same thing with Mass Effect where much of his fluff is disregarded in favor of the game.

Morn said:

It was established they could not heal in the KOTOR era, right? Maybe 300 years prior they could? I don't remember the reasoning from KOTOR.

Darklord

Banned
Baller said:

That's the problem.
People are saying it's unsatisfying and feel the book needs to fill in the questions rather than the game.

Morn said:

Palpatines master could heal, hell, he could bring them back from the dead and I'm pretty sure Palpatine used some kind of healing thing in Episode 3 on Anakin.

Darklord said:
That's the problem.
People are saying it's unsatisfying and feel the book needs to fill in the questions rather than the game.

Seeing as the book is all about filling the gap, I would expect it to be much more detailed and informative than anything the game could have provided.

Giolon

Darklord said:
That's the problem.

My point is, why are you trusting what anybody says at this point? You haven't seen anything for yourself. Just wait and find out what is and isn't true when the game releases for form your own opinion.

Giolon said:
My point is, why are you trusting what anybody says at this point? You haven't seen anything for yourself. Just wait and find out what is and isn't true when the game releases for form your own opinion.

Plus they aren't just going to end story threads immediately. At least I'd guess not. They have to add stuff to the content updates, DLC, etc. So things that might not seem finished might get touched on later in the games life cycle too.

Morn

Banned
Darklord said:
Palpatines master could heal, hell, he could bring them back from the dead and I'm pretty sure Palpatine used some kind of healing thing in Episode 3 on Anakin.

No he couldn't. He was lying to lure Anakin to his side because he knew Anakin feared losing people to death.

Giolon said:
Light side. Revan is also canonically male, and The Exile (KOTOR2) is canonically female.
Thought that was the case. Thanks. So these "Revanites" should be light side guys? Or are they OG Revan followers?

I wanna play this game so damn bad.

Confused101 said:
Thought that was the case. Thanks. So these "Revanites" should be light side guys? Or are they OG Revan followers?

I wanna play this game so damn bad.

Might not want to talk about unconfirmed spoilers here.

Confused101 said:

No one really knows wtf is going on with him. Some people think that he learned the art of essence transfer and is actually the Sith Emperor. If there's "Revanites" in the game then maybe that's not the case.

Rflagg

I hope that price is exaggerated and our guys getting the info for somewhere else than here?, because they claim $220 us dollars which I find almost impossible to believe.

antonz

Rflagg said:
I hope that price is exaggerated and our guys getting the info for somewhere else than here?, because they claim $220 us dollars which I find almost impossible to believe.
They are saying 220 due to conversion. We are saying 150 for the likely same price method that usually benefits the US.

Emitan

TOR is pretty much the only game where I'd rather buy it on Origin. I consider MMOs to be both a game and a service and I don't want to have to run a service (Steam) in order to access another service (TOR). Origin doesn't need to be running to play TOR. Plus I'm hoping that Origin pre orders give beta invites.

It still sucks that TOR isn't anywhere else, but there are others games I'll be way more upset with (Mass Effect 3 had better be on Steam).

Rflagg

antonz said:
They are saying 220 due to conversion. We are saying 150 for the likely same price method that usually benefits the US.
Ahh yes the screw the Europeans method. :(
Even $150 seems high, but I can believe that price.
I am might even pay it, sadly enough

gatti-man

Billychu said:
TOR is pretty much the only game where I'd rather buy it on Origin. I consider MMOs to be both a game and a service and I don't want to have to run a service (Steam) in order to access another service (TOR). Origin doesn't need to be running to play TOR. Plus I'm hoping that Origin pre orders give beta invites.

It still sucks that TOR isn't anywhere else, but there are others games I'll be way more upset with (Mass Effect 3 had better be on Steam).
Once I heard TOR required origin I just let go all my hate for origin because whats the point. Im going to have to keep origin on my SSD with steam so I might as well get used to it. Besides I want this mmo to be a success so EA getting all my money for this project is something i can feel good about.

Rflagg said:
That price is pure insanity. No way is that real.

Xamdou

Doesn't matter with me if it's an Origin exclusive as long as it includes a pre-load and some pre-order/exclusive goodies not found anywhere else.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Fuck the statue I don't want for driving up the price of this thing, but I'll probably still buy it.

Sigfodr

Spire said:
Fuck the statue I don't want for driving up the price of this thing, but I'll probably still buy it.
Purchasing this thing would just encourage such future releases. Not gonna support it.

Probably...

sflufan

Banned
Some more rumors from Kotaku (so take with a grain of salt):

A source claiming to have knowledge of EA's plans for Star Wars: The Old Republic tells Kotaku that pre-orders for the game will begin this Thursday, July 21 at 2am CST.

Pre-orders for The Old Republic will come in two flavors, the basic edition and the special Collector's Edition. The total number of pre-orders EA is purportedly taking caps out at 500,000, with only the first 50,000 pre-orders guaranteed, the rest queued in a prioritized waiting list.

Those purchases will only be handled through EA's online store, Origin. Interested customers may want to make sure they have an Origin account in good standing prior to the pre-order launch if they're hungry for an early copy.

Still no official release date, we're told—though one of the above European retailers has it listed shipping on November 25—but Star Wars: The Old Republic is still expected by end of year.

http://kotaku.com/5822741/rumor-sta...etails-leak-limited-pre+orders-start-thursday

Jarmel

Banned
sflufan said:

A source claiming to have knowledge of EA's plans for Star Wars: The Old Republic tells Kotaku that pre-orders for the game will begin this Thursday, July 21 at 2am CST.

Pre-orders for The Old Republic will come in two flavors, the basic edition and the special Collector's Edition. The total number of pre-orders EA is purportedly taking caps out at 500,000, with only the first 50,000 pre-orders guaranteed, the rest queued in a prioritized waiting list.

Those purchases will only be handled through EA's online store, Origin. Interested customers may want to make sure they have an Origin account in good standing prior to the pre-order launch if they're hungry for an early copy.

Still no official release date, we're told—though one of the above European retailers has it listed shipping on November 25—but Star Wars: The Old Republic is still expected by end of year.

http://kotaku.com/5822741/rumor-sta...etails-leak-limited-pre+orders-start-thursday

3AM? Fuck that. Why can't they do this at a normal human hour?

Also why is there a cap? Is this tied to the beta?

antonz

vitaminwateryum said:
What the hell is the point of doing digital downloads if they're going to put a cap on the amount of people that can order it?
Im guessing they arent doing digital orders yet. Probably going to be shipped orders only for now.

500K total retail orders with 50K collectors edition set aside makes some sense for initial batch

NeededSleep

sflufan said:

wow... yeah im staying away from that mess when the preorders go live.
Guessing this is the pre-preorder campaign they are doing. ill just wait for the amazon preorder.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
antonz said:
Im guessing they arent doing digital orders yet. Probably going to be shipped orders only for now.

500K total retail orders with 50K collectors edition set aside makes some sense for initial batch

Hmm, would make sense with the collectible figure they're including. Oh well, I'll wait for a more official announcement before I try to make too much sense out of it.

antonz

vitaminwateryum said:
Hmm, would make sense with the collectible figure they're including. Oh well, I'll wait for a more official announcement before I try to make too much sense out of it.
Yeah if they are gonna open it at that hour we will know something within the next 24 hours for sure. Im just afraid my inner CE whore will surface and cash in on the 150 :/

Morn

Banned
vitaminwateryum said:

Those numbers are for the DIGITAL version on Origin. Not the physical copy.

Completely RETARDED to limit digital pre-orders.

Game is doomed if EA is running it like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom