• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic [Releasing Date: Dec 20 NA/EU - NDA Lifted]

Status
Not open for further replies.
413px-2-1B_negtd.jpg

I would love to play as a medical droid, droid class?
pweaaasseee
:lol

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Next week Bioware is going to put up an E3 highlight video. Supposedly its going to show something in-game. Their forums basically exploded after the Gamespot interview because there was nothing new shown and no gameplay video. Only after the interview did Bioware post that there would be no gameplay footage. People over there are going crazy.. meltdowns everywhere lol.

Truant

Bioware DID say that E3 was going to debut how the game actually was. Considering all we got was two old guys showing a CG trailer, fans have the right to be upset.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Truant said:
Bioware DID say that E3 was going to debut how the game actually was. Considering all we got was two old guys showing a CG trailer, fans have the right to be upset.

im not saying their anger isnt justified.. technically though Bioware did show the game, just to the press is all :lol

laserbeam

Banned
I was kinda surprised they did not post the smuggler stuff for E3 since they used that to unveil it though with the cinematic they released I can forgive them.

Though Gordan did kinda hint they might not be back next year at E3 to pimp it before he caught himself heh

Lord Phol

So I was thinking about how they would handle character mehanics, like combat and recources from class to class. When I stumbled upon this article:
Class-wise, the Bounty Hunter looks like a general ranged damage dealer, while the Sith is akin to a WoW Rogue (lesser attacks build up points that you use to pull off more powerful attacks)
Source: http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3174566

Which pretty much confirms that the Siths will you use a combo-system like the one Rogues use in WoW.
I really hope Bounty Hunters gets something exciting as well, would be a waste of just giving them energy or mana :7.

Oh and great OP.

Blackface

Banned
The reason fans were angry is not because they didn't get to see gameplay. But because in the news letter sent to everyone, Bioware specifically said they were hard at work on a Demo that would show the real SWTOR including gamplay, to the WORLD at E3.

So people sat around all day long and watched the IGN and Gamespot streams. There were huge threads with people posting in anticipation. Nobody stepped in to say, hey, no gameplay will be shown or anything. They waited until both streams were over, then made a post saying it. Wasting lots of time for people.

Blackface

Banned
Lord Phol said:
So I was thinking about how they would handle character mehanics, like combat and recources from class to class. When I stumbled upon this article:

Source: http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3174566

Which pretty much confirms that the Siths will you use a combo-system like the one Rogues use in WoW.
I really hope Bounty Hunters gets something exciting as well, would be a waste of just giving them energy or mana :7.

Oh and great OP.

Sith are like a combo of Warriors and Rogues from WoW. Their "energy bar" works like Rage. The more you get hit and hit, the more rage you build. Then I guess they also have a combo system like Rogues combo points.

laserbeam

Banned
Trax416 said:
Sith are like a combo of Warriors and Rogues from WoW. Their "energy bar" works like Rage. The more you get hit and hit, the more rage you build. Then I guess they also have a combo system like Rogues combo points.

It seems like they may be doing both force classe sin thsi fashion because elsewhere they talked about building up "energy" to use force powers as it would be too overpowered to just let force users run around choking,lightning etc

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Acid08 said:
Giant Bomb is going to have an interview with the Doctors up sometime today I believe.

Is the interview about all three games, or about one specific game. If it's the latter, is that specific game TOR? That's the one I'm most interested in right now, solely because we haven't seen ANY substantial gameplay footage (I know this interview wouldn't contain that, but more info is always welcome).

Meier

I'll definitely give this a shot. Very excited about it. The trailer was amazing and the Shacknews preview sounds ace. This can't come out soon enough!

Acid08

Banned
Shrinnan said:
Is the interview about all three games, or about one specific game. If it's the latter, is that specific game TOR? That's the one I'm most interested in right now, solely because we haven't seen ANY substantial gameplay footage (I know this interview wouldn't contain that, but more info is always welcome).
I think it's specifically TOR.

JayDubya

Banned
If it's Giant Bomb, even were they to talk about all 3 games, they'd probably break it up into three vids, each posted on each game's page.

Lord Phol

Trax416 said:

Ah, sound pretty fitting for the class, and fun too.
Hope the other classes gets as much loving.

While Mass Effect 1 was good (although it had it's quirks), Mass Effect 2 looks stunning in terms of it's action and dialog elements. I can only imagine what a true KOTOR 3 would look like running on that engine. Maybe its better that BioWare completes the Mass Effect trilogy before they try another KOTOR game so that KOTOR 3 can be as great of a game as possible based on what they've learned.

TOR intrigues me due to the story elements but I've never been a fan of MMOs or even JRPGs which require a lot of grinding. I'd have to see how the combat is to decide whether or not I'll play this game.

Knox

kozmo7 said:
Wookie Bouncer? :lol
I'm interested in seeing the races and how they handle them. I think a Wookiee warrior class that used melee and a bowcaster would be cool, but I wouldn't want them to keep Wookiees from doing other things.

Blackface

Banned
Dark Stalkers said:
Isn't the Trooper a light side class?

It's not light and dark.

It's Republic and Sith.

You can be a good person and a Sith, and a bad person and part of the Republic. It's like political beliefs, and how you feel things should be run, or you may try to change things from within.

JayDubya

Banned
xabre said:
What's the name of the sith lord in the trailer? Darth Plagueis? Or does he come along much later?

For the time this game is supposed to be set in, you're looking at just under 3 millennia before Plagueis trains Sidious, and still is well before the war that wiped out the majority of the Jedi Order and all but two of the Sith.

464px-Palpatineyouth.jpg

I forget the exact lifespan of the average Muun, but I remember it being fairly long. And Plagueis was obsessed with using the Force and Sith Alchemy to unnaturally extend life, so it's plausible that he was very, very old when his apprentice killed him. But probably not THAT old. :p

Particularly because he would logically have to be trained by someone trained by someone who was... trained by Darth Bane.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
xabre said:
What's the name of the sith lord in the trailer? Darth Plagueis? Or does he come along much later?

His name is Lord Angral. You can read the comic series that's on the official TOR website to learn more about him. He apparently has....anger issues.

EDIT: Actually, I take that back. I reread the comic, Angral wasn't there during the temple invasion (he was on his way into the Senate), neither was Baras (he was in Alderaan at the time) - this Sith is a new character. Hmmm...

Sweet, thnx for the update Morbid. Just checked out the vids for the smuggler class and the game play looks interesting. With the new video up, I'm starting to think that TOR will be more like a KOTOR, design-wise, than like WoW. I'd prefer a WoW style design, where the player can go to any place on a map, than KOTOR, where the player has a set path to follow to reach an objective. I'm hoping I'm wrong, but I just don't see how they can design a heavily story driven game with multiple story arcs in an open world environment.

Plissken

I hadn't seen those yet, thanks for posting 'em. I like what I see there, as you said it seems to set up the Mandalorian as a possible faction to fight/work for in the game. I wish they'd announce a date for this already, even if it's just tentative. I'm hoping for this fall, but I'm guessing realistically it won't be until next summer/fall.

No45

Trax416 said:
I can't believe I haven't seen this trailer before (Buried under the mound of other E3 stuff I guess), but that looks fucking awesome. I had been hoping to hear something of a console release for this, but as I'm now planning on building a new PC over the next few months (That will be good enough to hook up to my 50" plasma at full res) then I can really start to get excited.

Great thread. *subscribes* :)

Daante

From the previews it sounds awesome, now i just want to see some in game footage.. , it will most likley be this game that makes me hop on the mmo train once again after putting 4+ years into Wow and now being "mmo-free".

DodgerSan

For anyone who hasn't seen it, here is an interesting rant by an ex-SWG dev about all the things that went wrong with SWG (post #55). Bioware should consider it a manual of what to avoid, which I'm sure they will.

DodgerSan said:
For anyone who hasn't seen it, here is an interesting rant by an ex-SWG dev about all the things that went wrong with SWG (post #55). Bioware should consider it a manual of what to avoid, which I'm sure they will.

I'm pretty sure they're aware of it considering they hired some of the SWG team.

Blackface

Banned
So everyone knows, I am waiting to update the OP when a good chunk of information is available. The last few weeks has been relatively light. So in the next couple I will do a big update.

IcedTea

Trax416 said:
So everyone knows, I am waiting to update the OP when a good chunk of information is available. The last few weeks has been relatively light. So in the next couple I will do a big update.
Awesome, thanks for making this thread!

jtb

Banned
Man, I just cannot get over how dissapointed I am with Bioware for basically saying "fuck you" to all the people that played KOTOR 2 all the way up to the shitty cliffhanger. Have they said much on how the story is going to interact with the rest of the game, considering that's their 3rd or 4th pillar? (I can't remember). Considering this is Bioware Austin and not Bioware Edmonton, I'm not sure if this will turn out as well as they hope it will. And how will choices work in this game, seeing as how they are sticking with the whole Jedi/Sith thing (which is downright stupid) and there are potentially millions of other people making those exact same choices? Just curious.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
the walrus said:
Man, I just cannot get over how dissapointed I am with Bioware for basically saying "fuck you" to all the people that played KOTOR 2 all the way up to the shitty cliffhanger. Have they said much on how the story is going to interact with the rest of the game, considering that's their 3rd or 4th pillar? (I can't remember). Considering this is Bioware Austin and not Bioware Edmonton, I'm not sure if this will turn out as well as they hope it will. And how will choices work in this game, seeing as how they are sticking with the whole Jedi/Sith thing (which is downright stupid) and there are potentially millions of other people making those exact same choices? Just curious.

KOTOR 2 wasn't Bioware. Also, blame LucasArts for KOTOR 2'd ending. TOR takes place much later than KOTOR but they said there will be threads from KOTOR explored. Choices work because your story is your story and no one else's. Not seeing hw the Jedi/Sith thing is stupid since it's in the middle of their war. I think you should take some time and read up on the game what they'd like to accomplish.

Blackface

Banned
the walrus said:

A lot of the information you are looking for is in the links above, or on the official forum.

I really don't see how any KOTOR fans can be disappointed. As this is KOTOR on steroids that will allow you to play and interact with millions (hopefully) of other people, and continue your gaming experience for years, rather then days.

In terms of the staff, outside of current Bioware developers and many people who worked on Mass Effect, lots former employees of companies like Blizzard and SOE make up a big core of the people working on the game. The team is probably 5 times larger then one that would be working on a normal console game, as MMORPG's are just flat out more complicated and difficult to create. Whatever development team you thought you knew, is much different.

You also have to understand that when we are talking about story, it's mainly LucasArts. That is why Bioware has chosen this time period, because there is no specific lore they have to stick to. They are free to create their own story, and explore different themes most other Star Wars games and movies don't.

I don't view this as a "fuck you" to anyone. How can it be? You are essentially getting 4-6 (depending on amount of classes) next-gen KOTOR's, in one package, with more content then any single player RPG could ever provide in it's wildest dreams, and a deep end-game experience(hope so, one of my concerns with the game ATM) that will allow you to continue playing in-defiantly. Whats the issue?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
So IGN has this "exhaustive" Q&A from Comic-Con but about 50% is "tee hee we can't talk about it yet."

As a side not I can't believe I'm posting in this thread, I've tried about half a dozen MMOs and never stuck with any of them for more than two weeks, yet I still can't help being hyped for the "next big one". I will say though, I can't imagine a better thematic PvP setup than Dark vs Light side. Hopefully this game finally breaks my MMO curse, I guess I'll have to hang out with the GAF guild or whatever. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom