• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic [Releasing Date: Dec 20 NA/EU - NDA Lifted]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I enjoyed my time in the beta, and will for sure be getting it for launch. I'm a Star Wars worshipper, though, so it was easy for me to overlook some complaints in exchange for the experience overall.

I'll write up a little blurb for each class I tried, just in case anyone's interested.

Sith Warrior (Sith race) - This was the first class I tried, and consequently the one I spent the most time with. Korriban was cool for the giant statues and such, but I later realized it was fairly deserted compared to other areas. I really, really liked the SW class quest line though. The side quests were great too. Yes, some were "Kill 5 of these things, please!", but most were interesting things like choosing to help a prisoner escape or not, or feeding tainted meat to an alien in a tomb to stop him from growing too powerful.

I liked the combat a lot. There's not much you can say against hurling yourself 40' down a corridor to smash into a group of 3 or 4 enemies, pounding the ground with Force lightning (killing a few of them instantly) and then laying into the rest with your sword. I got my SW to level 11, which meant I left Korriban, and chose Marauder for my Advanced Class. In reading on the boards, it seems Marauders have some need for dps increases at higher levels, but I didn't encounter any of this. Overall, I loved it.

Bounty Hunter (Chiss) - Wow, the start of this class quest is great! You are trying to get into The Great Hunt, which isn't a Robert Jordan novel, but instead is a Hutt sponsored, kill everyone but yourself type fun fest. You start doing quests for Nem'ro Hutt, the local crime boss and eater of exotic eels. The planet, Hutta, looks really awesome, lots of swamps and a really swank moon in orbit around it.

BH's just kinda stand there, shooting their blasters and rockets via a wrist launcher. I liked the combat overall, especially the Dragon-Punch-esque attack you can do when enemies get close. The Light/Dark Side choices were great as well. Nothing like choosing to deliver the head of one of Nem'ro's enemies to his wife to send a message!

Smuggler (Human) - For some reason, I really loved this class. Way more than I thought I would. Unlike the BH, who just stands there firing, the Smuggler can crouch or dive behind cover (shown on screen as a green human silhouette when in combat), thus giving you more defense and unlocking new abilities. With the Smuggler I felt the most powerful in combat, taking out groups of 3 or 4 enemies very quickly compared to the other classes I tried. Rapid blaster shots and thermal grenades make quick work of enemies!

The starting quest line for the Smuggler seems ok, I didn't get too far into it, but it involves separatists and a lot of smuggling.

Finally, I did try a little of a Jedi Knight, but not enough to comment on, other than within 15 minutes of the start I had heard "May the Force be with you!" like 30+ times. The starting area was cool, though. Overall, I love the game, the voiced quests make for some great immersion. The music and sound effects, naturally, are top notch. I was disappointed with some of the textures, however, and I, too, would like to see better race options for the classes.

Desaan

Everything can be fixed. Dodgy animations, weird armour/weapon clipping, strange cut scene camera angles, graphical anomalies etc but can they fix the fact that 50% of the game looks so insanely low res I had to check I wasn't playing on 640x480?

It's most prevalent in the cut scenes, which lets face there are ALOT of. Some of, if not all of the armour textures are so insanely low resolution and blurred. Talk to any Imperial officer and you'll know what I mean, their badges must be at least a whole 4x4 and the textures on the uniforms and armours in general are terrible.

I'd like to see some higher graphical settings in effect as well, at times it can look like I'm playing a game from 6-7 years ago (which is no surprise given SWTOR dev time). Missing AA and some non existent lighting effects, default Skyrim shadows and a total lack of v-sync (again, not working) made for an almost eye bleeding weekend. ATI need to get their asses in gear as well, performance on a 6970 was so insanely random, which shouldn't be happening on the Hero Engine.

Other than the above constructive analysis I enjoyed my pants off and will continue to play tonight until they drag me kicking and screaming from the server at midnight. The pro's far outweigh the cons at the moment.

Won

Also, you're all very harsh considering some are criticizing this game left and right before even getting to coruscant. I can't describe the differrence companions and professions make. Double this when you get your own space ship.

It's hard not being harsh. Beyond all the voice talent there seems a lack of ambition in this game. Bioware really plays it safe, making it hard to find things that stand out in a positive light.

On the other end there are some obvious shortcomings, some that should not even exist in this day and age. (stupid stupid UI)

Also Coruscant is imo pretty bad, but maybe that's just me.

Everything can be fixed. Dodgy animations, weird armour/weapon clipping, strange cut scene camera angles, graphical anomalies etc but can they fix the fact that 50% of the game looks so insanely low res I had to check I wasn't playing on 640x480?

It's most prevalent in the cut scenes, which lets face there are ALOT of. Some of, if not all of the armour textures are so insanely low resolution and blurred. Talk to any Imperial officer and you'll know what I mean, their badges must be at least a whole 4x4 and the textures on the uniforms and armours in general are terrible.

I'd like to see some higher graphical settings in effect as well, at times it can look like I'm playing a game from 6-7 years ago (which is no surprise given SWTOR dev time). Missing AA and some non existent lighting effects, default Skyrim shadows and a total lack of v-sync (again, not working) made for an almost eye bleeding weekend. ATI need to get their asses in gear as well, performance on a 6970 was so insanely random, which shouldn't be happening on the Hero Engine.

Other than the above constructive analysis I enjoyed my pants off and will continue to play tonight until they drag me kicking and screaming from the server at midnight. The pro's far outweigh the cons at the moment.

They have been doing graphical polishes with each build so far often improving textures of the world elements, but sadly they really haven't improved or touched the texturing of lot of the armor parts. I really hope that they will surprise us with some updates to these character textures by launch or soon after.

cametall

I tried smuggler and consular.

Smuggler (went gunslinger) is great fun, but PvP seems a little up and down since you're the only one with a cover mechanic and 90% of people have lightsabers.

The starting area started off slow but got better as the story progressed.

The consular/knight starting area is just bleh all around, but I found consular fun as a class.

One thing that bothered me about PvP was there were level 26s in the same battleground as level 10s. What ... the ... hell... I couldn't do any damage to them and the 20+s destroyed you quickly.

V_Arnold

The (bad) animation REALLY, really puts me off.
Beside the - percieved - fact that it really does not differentiate itself from WoW enough for my tastes when it comes to the whole package.

Mastamind

Did anyone else have a problem where cutscenes would use low res textures? In my case textures during cutscenes were lower than during non-cutscene times. I could fix it for a single cutscene by resizing my window and have the game redraw all the assets but by the time the next cutscene rolled around it would start looking like shit again.

It's hard not being harsh. Beyond all the voice talent there seems a lack of ambition in this game. Bioware really plays it safe, making it hard to find things that stand out in a positive light.

On the other end there are some obvious shortcomings, some that should not even exist in this day and age. (stupid stupid UI)

Unfortunately, with billions of dollars in revenue at stake, I'm just not surprised. They are sticking to a very tried and true formula. And I mean, I understand why. WoW is the benchmark for super-high revenues for an MMO. That's the template they're sticking to.

Which is fine for me. I just want a sci-fi MMO and I love star wars and was into SWG until the exodus.

Hari Seldon

As much as I love star wars and am impressed by the beta, I do not see this game holding my attention for years and years like WoW did. Maybe 6 months or so. It is still the same formula after all, and until we get T'Rain, I don't see myself being able to be sucked into this formula again for very long, no matter what polish they put on it.

Dina

It's ok being critical, don't get me wrong. There's a lot not to like, but it mostly comes down to if you're ok having another WoW-clone in the star wars universe and how much the average animations and average graphics bug you.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Completely agree that they've played it far too safe. Did the first area as Jedi Knight and it was alright, I know they want to voice act everything but it unless it was part of the main quest I was just hitting space, 3, and then 2 to accept.

If it wasn't £40 I'd probably get it and see how it is after a month, but it's so similar to WoW that I'm not sure if I'd play for more than a few weeks.

Also do your choices have any real effect, and what exactly does the whole Light/Dark points effect?

I would have liked to have seen all Jedi start out in one area and then based on choice have the ability to become a Sith.

Cipherr

Played it all weekend:

+ the spoken dialogue gets you much more into the story than a simple WoW quest log

I agree with this alot. I didnt think it would make that much of a difference. I didnt mind reading my quest text in WoW. But the voice acting, even when its terrible is a major step up in terms of immersion. I hope MMO's go this route in the future.

So who in here was bored with WoW after years, but turned out liking this game? I'm tired of WoW, seeing as I've played it for so long, but I actually had fun playing Rift not too long ago. I'm really thinking of getting this game when it comes out after watching some streams of it.

LowParry

So who in here was bored with WoW after years, but turned out liking this game? I'm tired of WoW, mainly due to it because I've played it for so long, but I actually had fun playing Rift not too long ago. I'm really thinking of getting this game when it comes out after watching some streams of it.

I'm on that boat. Stopped playing WoW about 5 or so months ago. Been following this a lot and will be playing in the long run.

JWong

Banned
So who in here was bored with WoW after years, but turned out liking this game? I'm tired of WoW, mainly due to it because I've played it for so long, but I actually had fun playing Rift not too long ago. I'm really thinking of getting this game when it comes out after watching some streams of it.

Not really bored with WoW, but really pissed off at the next expansion. This panda shit is so whacked on lore that I really don't care for it.

TOR is delivering some interesting story elements, and I do love dating sims.
9Ks5t.png
As shallow as these choices are, they are much more engaging. Coupled with excellent gameplay, I look forward to playing it.

The worlds get progressively bigger as you level up.

Tatooine is humongous. It's probably bigger than all the planet your visit prior to it combined.

The game gameplay wise is basically WoW but I've been having a lot of fun with it regardless. I haven't played WoW since June or so.

The game has lots of interesting things. The whole conversation system we all know about, but companions make combat somewhat different. There are mobs patrolling alone but you also get groups of 3 or 4 enemies in general areas which is cool. There are a lot of group areas which is something that's definitely great and provides something WoW doesn't (it used to). There may not be 20+ dungeons but these areas provide some cool scenarios and teamwork. There's a bunch of them in each area too.

Areas are huge and you feel like you're in a huge world despite planets being only a single location.

Getting a spaceship is cool and the shooting gameplay is something nice too.

The way crafting and professions work I think it's really well done and it feels very, very different from the usual MMO deal. I like the way they've set it up.

Being able to have 50 companions and have whichever you want alongside you is another plus. Each one has different profession bonuses too! Nice touch. Needless to say romance is always cool be it in a MMO or single-player game.

I like how conversations work with 2+ players. Being able to see a conversation even if you're really far away is yet another nice touch. Holograms for the win!

As I said, it feels like WoW gameplay wise but is has a lot of interesting touches that give the game a fresh feel, in my opinion of course.

Lot of people I know are like this. WoW was a good game, but it's old and many just have played the heck out of it and want something new. Many really don't care that it plays like WoW or such, they just are tired of playing WoW for years.

quaere

I agree with this alot. I didnt think it would make that much of a difference. I didnt mind reading my quest text in WoW. But the voice acting, even when its terrible is a major step up in terms of immersion. I hope MMO's go this route in the future.
+ choices in conversation, who cares if they don't actually make a difference in the quest, still more immersive than nothing.
+ companions to make comments during the quests, exploring, story in general, makes solo play less boring.
+ the holocall for groups.

I want to see these things in every MMO.

EGG

Neo Member
They weren't kidding when they said this game was going to be KotOR 3,4,5,6,7 and 8. I can't wait to beat every classes main quests.

LowParry

So you think we'll get any more patch work by early access? That's in like what, 2 1/2 weeks? The current build is fine. It could use some work in some area's but it'd be nice to have a little more tweaks involved come the time to play.

TheContact

I was PRAYING this would be my ticket out of Azeroth. I am a day1 WoWer and have the same subscription, on and off, for over 7 years now(!). I played this for about 13 hours over the course of 2 days. While that's probably not enough to get a real good impression about the game, it was enough to make me not pre-order the game.

This game had me hooked for the first 10 hours, but after that it got stale.
Questing got repetitive, grouping was pointless and difficult, although admittedly because it was so hard to find a dedicated group, I never did any group quests. A lot of the players said they had to leave because they couldn't join my story quest.

PvP is boring. I absolutely HATE the ballgame map. Whoever designed that map and approved it should be fired. The turret control map was alright, but really nothing special.

There's a lot of good things about The Old Republic. It's not a WoW clone, thankfully, but it was too centralized around my character like I was the only one there, yet there's 5,000 people around me doing the same thing. It's just a little contradictory for an MMO. This might be better in the future, and a lot of people will like it, but I was debating whether or not to do the annual subscription for WoW to get D3 for free and I finally have my answer.

So who in here was bored with WoW after years, but turned out liking this game? I'm tired of WoW, seeing as I've played it for so long, but I actually had fun playing Rift not too long ago. I'm really thinking of getting this game when it comes out after watching some streams of it.

Me. Been on WoW since launch day. I'm just tired of the same game. After 7 years, I think that's ok. I'm done with WoW when TOR launches. From what I played from the beta this weekend, I really liked that some things were familiar to WoW. Same basic controls. Same button to take out/sheath my weapon. Same button to sit. Same camera controls.

It makes the transition from WoW to TOR that much easier.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
No, it wouldn't.

Dungeon finder pros and cons

+ saves time (not that it takes long to get a group on populated servers or if you're in a good guild)

- promotes laziness and less social interaction
- destroys any sense of community
- removes people from actually being out in the world, instead they just stand in cities and use menus to access everything

Just look what it did to WoW. Fuck dungeon finders and everything they stand for. The day Bioware implements it is the day I will stop playing.
The dungeon finder is a necessary tool to help with group formations. Whether or not you agree with its implementations is another thing, but without it you have people forced to spam a General chat channel like some unwanted panhandler until enough people find themselves with an aligned interest. Nothing about the begging system promotes any kind of social interaction outside of people criticizing their often useless team mates. Without a dungeon finder system it becomes a rather tall task to replace people, and as such incompetence reigns. There is nothing "lazy" about wanting a system in place that actually supports people grouping up to do the dungeon based aspects of the game.

Your point that a dungeon finder destroys any sense of community is rather...funny. To begin with, dungeon finders can still pull from a small enough sample to keep a community. It is a tool, and can be adjusted to fit the needs of any game. I saw the same people leveling up all the time in Rift through the dungeon finder. Limiting the sample size to each server would easily keep any "community" in tact. But the idea of community in TOR is a joke. You will have a guild you keep in touch with but outside of that the game offers very little in the sense of community. Players are given their own leveling partner, are sanctioned off and pushed into their own phased areas time after time, and are separated even within their own server on multiple shards. To pretend there is a community at stake in this situation is just rather humorous to me. Even if you are leveling up with someone as the exact same class the game will continue to separate you by phases, and force you to replay and rewatch a pretty alarming amount of content if you stick together.

There are better ways to incentivize people going out into the world than forcing them to run across vast amounts of content to get to where they need to be. Without a dungeon finder people still sit in chat and simply run through the world to be sequestered in their own instance. The best game to keep players consistently populating the world and all regions was Rift with its implementation of well...the rifts. The dungeon finder isn't what killed WoW's overworld by any means. As the size got bigger and players had finished leveling through zones there was simply no reason for them to return, and expansions pushed them off into entirely separate islands out in space. The dungeon finder is simply a useful tool. It would greatly benefit a title like TOR.

JWong

Banned
PvP is boring. I absolutely HATE the ballgame map. Whoever designed that map and approved it should be fired. The turret control map was alright, but really nothing special.

Yeah, it was really made like a poor man's UT3 map or something.

The dungeon finder is a necessary tool to help with group formations. Whether or not you agree with its implementations is another thing, but without it you have people forced to spam a General chat channel like some unwanted panhandler until enough people find themselves with an aligned interest. Nothing about the begging system promotes any kind of social interaction outside of people criticizing their often useless team mates. Without a dungeon finder system it becomes a rather tall task to replace people, and as such incompetence reigns. There is nothing "lazy" about wanting a system in place that actually supports people grouping up to do the dungeon based aspects of the game.

Your point that a dungeon finder destroys any sense of community is rather...funny. To begin with, dungeon finders can still pull from a small enough sample to keep a community. It is a tool, and can be adjusted to fit the needs of any game. I saw the same people leveling up all the time in Rift through the dungeon finder. Limiting the sample size to each server would easily keep any "community" in tact. But the idea of community in TOR is a joke. You will have a guild you keep in touch with but outside of that the game offers very little in the sense of community. Players are given their own leveling partner, are sanctioned off and pushed into their own phased areas time after time, and are separated even within their own server on multiple shards. To pretend there is a community at stake in this situation is just rather humorous to me. Even if you are leveling up with someone as the exact same class the game will continue to separate you by phases, and force you to replay and rewatch a pretty alarming amount of content if you stick together.

There are better ways to incentivize people going out into the world than forcing them to run across vast amounts of content to get to where they need to be. Without a dungeon finder people still sit in chat and simply run through the world to be sequestered in their own instance. The best game to keep players consistently populating the world and all regions was Rift with its implementation of well...the rifts. The dungeon finder isn't what killed WoW's overworld by any means. As the size got bigger and players had finished leveling through zones there was simply no reason for them to return, and expansions pushed them off into entirely separate islands out in space. The dungeon finder is simply a useful tool. It would greatly benefit a title like TOR.

Dungeon finders alone don't destroy communities. Cross server dungeon finders definitely kill communities. I met 99% of the people I became cool with in MMOs with a random dungeon. We'd go in. We'd see someone was actually REALLY good at their class and having fun, cracking jokes and were a pleasure to be around. We'd chat and they'd join our guild or just add each other to friends list because we had a great time and it's good to know people to group with later on. It was fun.

Cross server dungeon finders turn the everyone into a stranger and prevents you from actually forming long term social in-game contact with other players because you can NEVER interact with them outside that instance. Oh, and it's completely random so you can't /friends them and at LEAST reinvite them for another run.

Dina

Huttball should be fine with some passing involved. I like how you can intercept the ball mid-air. The iron walkways have a weird design tho. It's also good how you can knockback people into fire and sludge.

About a dungeon finder, don't forget that you can do quests, leveling, etc all while being in the dungeon finder. Without it, you have to be lucky to get four people together who are in the same general area as you. Also, since instances are not inside any questing areas, you won't find people in the same instance and in the area. What I mean to say is that quests that lead to instances are only accepted in the big space station. You are only there inbetween missions, and even then you can skip that just by flying from planet to planet. You could level to the end-game without ever seeing and accepting a Flashpoint quest.

So as for the 4 player flashpoints in the 11-16, 16-20, 20-24, 24-28 and so on range, you need to have people that have gotten back to get the quest AND be in the same questing area as you, and be lucky there is a tank a healer in the group. And that's while leveling. At the end-game, you're stuck in your home city spamming trade or general. You can't leave Coruscant and you can't quest in Coruscant either. Sure you can queue for PvP while getting a group together, but that would mean leaving Coruscant, thus not being able to spam for willing people.

Cross server dungeon finders wasted the forming of communities. But normal, in-server dungeon finders, is something I sorely missed while leveling. I mean, I have five Flashpoint quests already with one being yellow, one being green and three being grey. I have NEVER seen a message in general while leveling for forming a Flashpoint in Taris, Nar Shaddaa or Tatooine.

edit: to clarify my last point, but planets end with a briefing and a quest to visit the holodeck on your ship. there, you get a mission that points you to another planet. I usually got back to the space station to trade in badges for some good loot, but I reckon most people missed that option/vendor. you can skip the space station completely if you wanted to, thus never picking up quests from R2-flashpoint droids.

JWong

Banned
The thing is, when people actually play the game for what it is, it's really fun. If not, it's just a glorified arena for everyone to kill the other faction.

Yeah, the gameplay is pretty okay. Pick ups could be placed better, and they need to offer a non-trap path to the other team. Those flame vents are stupid and it still takes forever to get through that ramp with the Huttball.

I think they're placing too much emphasis on passing, which player's latency plays too much of a role.

Fonds

The thing I find most curious about Bioware's approach to this beta release is that they didnt add AA and AF options.

The game looks a thousand times better with them forced on with ATI. The textures are more crisp, perspective more atmospheric, and colours just pop off the screen more.
I found armor textures were also better.

I truly don't understand Bioware let people play the beta like this. Most people don't know they can force these settings and are seeing a flawed product. A lot of people will be turned off by the graphics from what they've seen now. Sure Bioware might say it's mainly a stress test for them. But for the people playing the beta weekend it's actually about seeing if it's the game for them.

JWong

Banned
The thing I find most curious about Bioware's approach to this beta release is that they didnt add AA and AF options.

The game looks a thousand times better with them forced on with ATI. The textures are more crisp, perspective more atmospheric, and colours just pop off the screen more.

I truly don't understand Bioware let people play the beta like this. Most people don't know they can force these settings and are seeing a flawed product. A lot of people will be turned off by the graphics from what they've seen now. Sure Bioware might say it's mainly a stress test for them. But for the people playing the beta weekend it's actually about seeing if it's the game for them.

You truly don't understand betas.

LowParry

I don't suppose you could do any side by side shots? Maybe it'll give some of the naysayers some hope in the graphics side of things with the game.

Zhaanie

Banned
Not exactly unexpected, but jesus fuck, the sheer amount of WoW flaming/trolling in general chat is absurd. :lol

Some guy said a positive thing about WoW and basically had his head ripped off by dozens of angry players. Now they're having a field day bashing the game and its fans.

Gotta love MMO betas.

LowParry

Not exactly unexpected, but jesus fuck, the sheer amount of WoW flaming/trolling in general chat is absurd. :lol

Some guy said a positive thing about WoW and basically had his head ripped off by dozens of angry players. Now they're having a field day bashing the game and its fans.

Gotta love MMO betas.

That's pretty standard with any new MMO. I can't imagin how well that will flow with GW2 general chat. Oh man. lol

Gotta love MMO betas.

This happens in all MMO's past Beta even. Bring up WoW even in EVE and it starts a shit storm in general chat

Complistic

I got into the beta but didn't have any time to play over the weekend. Was the beta just for the weekend or can I still login and play?

Is there an achievement system? Didn't notice one when I played. Although I did get some 'commendation badges' but I've no idea what they do and couldn't find them in my inventory or in my character screen at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom