• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbound announced - new game from Terraria artist + new studio

I have yet to play Terraria.

you need to rectify that.

Im holding out for the vita version as well but following the ps360 thread its getting harder and harder not firing it up on PC before "summer".

Hopefully this roadmap/chronicle brings some long awaited news

aravuus

Honest question: why don't you just play Terraria on PC? I doubt it actually needs any processing power, and from watching a few seconds of footage of the X360 version, I have a feeling the PC version is pretty superior thanks to mouse.

Retro

Honest question: why don't you just play Terraria on PC? I doubt it actually needs any processing power, and from watching a few seconds of footage of the X360 version, I have a feeling the PC version is pretty superior thanks to mouse.

I think you're in the wrong thread. This isn't the Terraria Console thread, or even a Terraria thread (though you're in the right neighborhood).

Retro

If it's any consolation, they said one of the roadblocks to doing a public beta was waiting for the roadmap to be done. Now that we have that, we're one step closer. Also, we can kind of track the game's development and see what's left. Looking over it, a lot of the gameplay/world gen stuff is done, and that's really all they need to have a playable beta.

Kouriozan

A little update about the pre-order, coming very soon!
Tiy said this on IRC :

Tiy said:
[9:55pm] CryoPenguin: Tiy, I hate to bug you, but how' bout the Chronicle?
[9:55pm] Suweeka: ohai Blue
[9:55pm] Blue001:
[9:55pm] Tiy: Chronicle is coming out very very soon
[9:55pm] • Azreide throws $50 at Tiy
[9:55pm] Tiy: with
[9:55pm] mollygos: super soon
[9:55pm] Tiy: a preorder

Finally!

Retro

They said they were delaying the Chronicle a week, so hopefully we'll get it soon. I'm not gonna break out the itshappening.gif just yet, but I'm getting it ready...

Can't fucking wait, hopefully we get a Beta shortly after, but probably not.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
He tweeted the last two weeks that he was considering pre-order, but was deciding on what sort of payment method/site to go through.

Looks like he made up his mind.

KKRT00

The problem is that pre-order will probably grand access to beta like 2-3 months after preorder, so there are still no reason to be hyped.

Retro

From the Starbound IRC:
[20:04] <@Tiy> are you guys going to help me spread the word when the preorder goes live?
[20:04] <@Tiy> make the earth shake with the power of our tweets
[20:05] <@Tiy> I dont want to promise tomorrow, because if I doand then something happens to stall it
[20:05] <@Tiy> everyone will murder me with rusty spoons
[20:05] <@Tiy> we're TRYING for tomorrow though
[20:07] <@Tiy> Pixel tier - 1x copy of the full game, when its ready. 1x copy of the beta, when its ready, 1x starbound soundtrack, 1x experimental soundtrack (66 tracks total i believe)+4pack
[20:08] <@Tiy> Silver tier, all of the above + a contributors penguin forum badge+4pack
[20:08] <@Tiy> Gold Tier - all the above, the forum badge is tier 2, you get to name an NPC
[20:09] <@Tiy> Diamond tier - all the above, tier 3 forum badge, you get to name an npc and your name goes in the credits
[20:09] <@Tiy> Platinum Tier - all above, tier 4 forum badge, you get to name an npc, name goes in credits + you get to design a hat
[20:10] <@Tiy> Solarium Tier - game (when ready), beta (when ready), soundtrack, tier 5 badge, name npc, name in credits, design a weapon (its design, how it fires/swings)
[20:12] <@Tiy> Avian Tier (Price: Free) - no game/soundtrack, but you get a nifty forum badge in return for tweeting about the game
[20:12] <@Tiy> The high level tiers are pretty expensive, kickstarter style, theyre for people who really want to invest in us
[20:12] <@Tiy> but I think the base price is good, $15 for the game + a 66 track soundtrack
[20:15] <@Tiy> second lowest is silver
[20:15] <@Tiy> around $20, or $60 for a 4 pack

[01:21] <@Tiy> only willing to say 2013 at the mo
[01:21] <@Tiy> launch price will be higher

[01:14] <@Tiy> gold will be AROUND $45
[01:14] <@Tiy> Impervium will be AROUND $2k

Also:

Impervium Tier (around $2000) - game (when ready), beta (when ready), soundtrack, tier 6 badge, name npc, name in credits, get a statue of yourself in the game as an object

Their site/forums are getting hammered hard, so I think they're working on it now. Here's the source, but good luck getting it to load now; http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/tiy-anounced-preorders-tiers-irc-log.17021/

Retro

Any idea if he is talking about a Steam preorder?

Somebody on the forums commented that the preorder is not via steam, but the same person also said Preorders are up, but without a link or source. The people on their official forums are (as with all official forums) kind of fucked up in the skull, so take it with a bucket of salt.

Retro

Site is still down. Twitter is running silent. Something's happening.

So, anyways, it sounds like;

Avian: Tweet about the game, get an icon for the forums (lame)
Pixel: $15, Beta access, soundtrack.
Silver: ~$20, Pixel + Penguin icon for the forums.
Gold: ~$45, Silver + Better Penguin Icon and name an NPC
Diamond: Gold + Better Forum Icon + Name in credits.
Platinum: Diamond + Better Forum Icon + Design a Hat.
Solarium: Platinum + Better forum Icon + Design a weapon.
Impervium: ~$2000, Solarium + Better forum Icon + Statue of you.

I might be tempted to swing for Diamond, just because I think that'd be kind of cool to have my name in it and I do want to support them. I'll need to see the price though, honestly. Couldn't possibly care less about forum icons, since their official forums are packed with lots of morons, so if Diamond isn't viable for me, I'm going straight down to Pixel.

Dunno what they mean by +4 pack, probably that you can pre-order a 4-pack version of the same tier.

Good to see indie devs who realize charging something like $30 is a death sentence.

No kidding. $15-20 is the sweet spot for indie games, any more and people won't risk trying it.

Drazgul

[20:12] <@Tiy> but I think the base price is good, $15 for the game + a 66 track soundtrack
[20:15] <@Tiy> second lowest is silver
[20:15] <@Tiy> around $20, or $60 for a 4 pack

If you get the same (-25%) discount with the Pixel tier 4-pack, that'd only cost $45 total (or $11.25 apiece). Not a bad deal at all!

Nohar

I don't see the point in starting a Kickstarter. It's not like they need the money (well, I mean that the project is already quite advanced, it's not like they need money to start everything from scratch). A pre-order system is OK, but a Kickstarter? I feel like that would be derailling the purpose of Kickstarter.

Randdalf

I don't see the point in starting a Kickstarter. It's not like they need the money (well, I mean that the project is already quite advanced, it's not like they need money to start everything from scratch). A pre-order system is OK, but a Kickstarter? I feel like that would be derailling the purpose of Kickstarter.

It's not a Kickstarter is it though, it's the Prison Architect model of giving players rewards for paying more for the game. For example in that game you could pay more money to have a prisoner whose face is drawn by their artist based on a photo of you in the game.

But ... that's my point, you don't see any point in them starting a kickstarter because this is a kickstarter isn't it? Look, they haven't released any information regarding the release date of this game other than "2013" despite asking for preorders for the title. They're trying to incentivize people to pay beyond what they'd normally have to in order to enjoy the game, going as far as designing actual in game elements for people who pay at a certain "tier". This is of course more than a little different from "special edition" preorders that you'd see with the release of popular retail titles. What they're proposing wouldn't be possible if the full release of the title was anywhere near ready to be released assuming they had plans to have that user created content in the game at its release.

This is a kickstarter without the extra coat of paint and the 10% they have to give to the company running the site, the money that they'll be getting for people willing to throw out extra dollars is going to be pumped directly into development and completion of the title they're paying for.

duckroll

It depends on when the "beta" is. If the beta starts now, or in May, then it's nothing like a Kickstarter at all. People will pay and get a product very quickly. If not, then fuck em honestly. I'll only pay if I can play sooner. That's all I want.

KKRT00

It depends on when the "beta" is. If the beta starts now, or in May, then it's nothing like a Kickstarter at all. People will pay and get a product very quickly. If not, then fuck em honestly. I'll only pay if I can play sooner. That's all I want.

This.

Retro

Tiy has mentioned that the lead programmer (Bartwe) and the lead artist (Rho) both haven't been able to work on the game full time because they have bills to pay, families to care for, etc. One of the reasons they are doing a pre-order is to expedite the game's development and get out to us sooner.

Edit: Whoops, wasn't the lead artist, it's actually both programmers;

So, why a preorder?

Omni and Bartwe are working a second job whilst working on Starbound to keep food on their table and that keeps them from working full time on Starbound. With a successful preorder they would be able to dedicate their full time to the game and get it out faster. It would also ensure that no one from the rest of the team will need to take a second job before the beta is done.

Nohar

That indeed put things into perspective. As I said, I'm not against a pre-order, it's just the (potential) use of Kickstarter for it that's bugging me. Oh well, it won't prevent me from pre-ordering the game via KS.

Retro

Official Forums are, were and always will be the stomping ground of the absurdly loud, vocal minority that, at best, brings up legitimate complaints in the worst possible way ("Devs are lazy", "Fix ur fuckin' game", etc.) and at worst exist as an echo chamber for self-interest ("Class X is overpowered", "You should add <horrible idea> to game because I think it would be neat!", etc.). Thank god most developers have a DevTracker so you can go straight to the posts they actually thought were worth responding to. Community manager must be the worst fucking job in gaming. It is the figurative equivalent to the guy who cleans up the private booths at a strip club, but one which is practically infinite in size, free to the public, and allows the patrons to defecate whenever they like.

That indeed put things into perspective. As I said, I'm not against a pre-order, it's just the (potential) use of Kickstarter for it that's bugging me. Oh well, it won't prevent me from pre-ordering the game via KS.

They're not actually using Kickstarter though, as near as I can tell. I think somebody mentioned Indiegogo? I dunno, their site is offline (Currently using a cloud saved version) and their forums are down more often than they're up.

It's like the preorders have started and the rush is on, but nothing is actually happening. Very weird, hopefully some news soon.

Top Bottom