• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbound announced - new game from Terraria artist + new studio

Retro

New Wallpaper:
suikawall-1920x1080.png

More Here: http://playstarbound.com/guest-wallpaper-for-february/

Dem Medieval Robots.

Retro

Yep, I have a sneaking suspicion a race of intelligent felines is going to be one of the non-randomly generated enemies. I'll look around, pretty sure I saw a sprite of them in a similar suit.

Is....is that a land shark?

Cat's in mechs and land sharks.....sweet.

Edit:Also, that thing hanging in the tree with ears as hands reminds me of a pokemon. I think there is one like that, maybe I'm thinking of something else.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Nice wallpaper, but all of us know damn well that any late game gear our characters are gonna be wielding, will probably involve firearms, and/or massive explosions. Not measly "meeeeeeeleeeeee" weapons.

Unless they somehow they add in a massive 2-handed sword that shoots chainsaws, and explodes in a bright, shimmering cascade of rainbows, puppies, and unicorns...

...followed by a 2nd explosion of fire, brimstone, blood, entrails, and flying body parts of puppies and unicorns.

Oh look at that... its time for my medication.

Retro

Wasn't a sprite after all, just another wallpaper;

Nice wallpaper, but all of us know damn well that any late game gear our characters are gonna be wielding, will probably involve firearms, and/or massive explosions. Not measly "meeeeeeeleeeeee" weapons.

Speak for yourself, by the end of Terraria I was still using a melee weapon. Saves ammo/energy.

demidar

Wasn't a sprite after all, just another wallpaper;

Speak for yourself, by the end of Terraria I was still using a melee weapon. Saves ammo/energy.

Pfft I relied on my clockwork assault rifle with crystal bullets.

I want to play as a cat manning a robot suit. That would be the best.

Beckx

They're doing a newsletter - signups here.

vening, everyone! There have been a lot of requests for a mailing list, so we've decided to start one in the form of a newsletter.

Coming to your inbox monthly in the form of a newspaper, The Starbound Chronicle brings you the latest development updates, exclusive screenshots, a community spotlight feature, and a comic strip!

If you're not so into that idea, you can also just subscribe to be notified when we announce Starbound's release date.

If either of these things interest you, click the little newspaper below to sign up!

Enco

Agreed.

They really need to relax it on the features and work on a release. I don't want a monthly newsletter thanks.

I'm guessing GTA V will be out before this.

Nohar

Well, I can safely say we can kiss an hypothetical spring release goodbye. Well, it will be worth the wait, but still... That newsletter is in fact bad news.

Retro

Well, I can safely say we can kiss an hypothetical spring release goodbye. Well, it will be worth the wait, but still... That newsletter is in fact bad news.

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the newsletter is intended to be a regular thing, even after launch, to communicate news and information directly to players.

Jac_Solar

Have they started alpha, beta or even started balancing/polishing yet?

It sounds like this game is going to have an extreme amount of features and content, so polishing and balancing will probably take a lot of time.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not really sure how announcing a newsletter should warrant all this doom and gloom?

It shouldn't.

The game's only been in development for a year (GAF started talking about it Feb of last year). The videos that have been released show that they're pretty far along in development, its not like they have absolutely nothing to show for it.

I want them to take their bloody time. I'm willing to wait.

I don't want a game that's been rushed out, then followed by weekly "updates" that either fix stupid crap that should have been taken care of before release, or additional crap added to the game that will totally throw off the balance, or even break even more crap which will require a future update to fix. I already went through that godforsaken cycle with Terraria, and even though I was enthusiastic back then, all those updates are the sort of thing that I normally don't find acceptable at all when it comes to games in general, and I have no fucking idea why I gave it a pass. We live in a gaming world where updates are the norm, making us the unpaid guinea pigs, testing games for developers, for games we already paid for. I don't want that. I want a complete game, dammit.

Chucklefish devs, in case you're reading this, take your time. Don't take as much time to make the game into the next Duke Nuke'em, we don't want THAT. But don't rush yourselves. I am willing to throw so much money at you guys, I will probably buy the game a couple of times and just gift it to random people just to support you guys. I want this game to blow Terraria out of water, leaving a still smoking, smoldering, twitching, bloodied corpse gasping its last breath, asking for the gods to give it peace, but it won't get it, because I'll be dancing all over that corpse with my new love, Starbound.

Give me THAT game.

I can wait.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Do any other games do something similar? I think more games should do this.

I know its not the first, off the top of my head.

Pretty sure there's an FPS that allows it, or its an upcoming FPS that has the feature also.

vareon

Is there any information about pricing? I used to think this will be $10 like Terraria, but they kept adding features and features I don't know anymore.

Mr Jared

Do any other games do something similar? I think more games should do this.

So far: Planetside 2, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, The Showdown Effect (not yet released) and EA Origin. There's plenty more to come, but I was pretty excited to see that tweet this morning. Had no idea it was even a possibility.

Rootbeer

Banned
How is this still not out... just let me purchase the beta already!

At least it's not at Cube World level cockteasing just yet.

A level 3 spaceship via IRC.

TIY also said in the IRC that all the races have their own ships but the others just aren't put in the game yet. They said they could show the art but it would look ugly because it would be "Unlit".

Someone asked if the level of the ship progresses with the threat level of the planets. TIY said "sort of, but there isn't 10 levels" to the ship.

Also sounds like we will have more modern funiture in the game as well. He mentioned he had a sofa and tv and blinds on one of the levels.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Man, for a company that hast released a game yet, they keep getting publishing gigs.

Tiy just tweeted they're handling publishing duties for that Harvest Moon-type indie game, Stardew Valley.

Beckx

Man, for a company that hast released a game yet, they keep getting publishing gigs.

Tiy just tweeted they're handling publishing duties for that Harvest Moon-type indie game, Stardew Valley.

Yeah, it's neat, I doubt I would notice these games except for Starbound. This looks interesting.

Which reminds me, I bought Wanderlust on a Steam sale and need to dive into that.

Retro

Yeah, I'm definitely leaning towards a Robot Glitch now. I love the medieval aesthetic and "Retro" is just too perfect for a race of Renaissance robots.

Also, looks like Ladders are officially in. More pictures in the article, looks like they have double-sized doors too.

Retro

Why can't I buy this game yet? Fuck this galaxy.

Fixed that for ya.

I think now that all of the races have been revealed (though not outlined in detail) we might be getting closer. But probably not any time soon. I'm thinking autumn at this point, and if it's any early I'll be happily surprised.

Genji

Fixed that for ya.

I think now that all of the races have been revealed (though not outlined in detail) we might be getting closer. But probably not any time soon. I'm thinking autumn at this point, and if it's any early I'll be happily surprised.

Same, I'll be happy to get it by autumn, but sort of expect it right before the new year. The snippets that have been shown make it hard to keep my expectations in check, I'm going to need to set aside a ton of time for this game once it's released!

I don't think we've seen the Hylotl described in an official capacity, but they're the last race named, at least.

True, so maybe best for second last. No way fish people are beating medieval robots, and that illustration gives me serious DQ vibes

Really interested in seeing what kind of weapon mods they come up with. Guessing there will be a wide variety if they've been working on them all month and they already told there will at least be 5-6.

The fan letters were kind of dumb, and the last panel of the comic was cruel. They know they're teasing us.

Top Bottom