• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbound announced - new game from Terraria artist + new studio

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
They just triggered a pet peeve of mine: varying levels of pixel density in pixel art. Haaaate.

KKRT00

God dammit, that looks amazing, still where is Castlevania based combat with skills? :)

I'm curious how many years we will have to wait for a proper similar concept in 3D [i know about Starforge and 0x10c]

Retro

So, yeah... it seems like there's going to be a ridiculous number of planets to explore. We'll have to get a list going here on GAF of really good ones (since coordinates will always result in the same planetary features across everyone's game).

I'm most excited by the comment "it’s not only planets and moons that you may walk on and visit." I'm sure we'll have asteroids and the like, but what I'm really thinking is, we'll find derelict spacecraft, abandoned space stations and star bases... maybe even enormous space creatures we can land on (or land in).

Also, I would put good money on there being wormholes hidden all over the map to expedite travel.

God dammit, that looks amazing, still where is Castlevania based combat with skills?

I know they're aiming towards a SotN-style combat, but where are you getting skills from? It's most likely going to be based around equipment.

KKRT00

I know they're aiming towards a SotN-style combat, but where are you getting skills from? It's most likely going to be based around equipment.

I would like there to be some, like dash, double jump etc :) to make combat much more fluid, because Terraria was awful in that regard.

Retro

I would like there to be some, like dash, double jump etc :) to make combat much more fluid, because Terraria was awful in that regard.

I'm pretty sure those things will appear as tech upgrades to your equipment. There was a big article I seem to remember reading, but it was never posted here. I'll dig it up.

EDIT: From the "List of Announced Game Info" thread:
- Tech slots for items such as Jet Packs, Short Range Teleporters and Stomp Boots are available to the players.
- There's a picture here where the armor has an "Augment" slot: http://i.imgur.com/wu8cP.png

I could have sworn he posted two screenshots showing the character equipment window, but I can't find it. Weird.

Also, stumbled upon this;
Tiy said:
You're unable to teleport from underground. You might have seen be do it in various streams/videos but that's just an admin thing.

You also have a food meter, which runs out over the course of 2 hours. And a warmth meter, that depletes at different speeds based on the warmth of the planet/surroundings. It takes into account things like weather, time of day, wind chill, etc. So being inside a shelter actually protects you from a lot of those things.

Various objects give off warmth, like campfires, which can also be used to cook food.

There are various environmental hazards too. (source)

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Man, the amount of info we've gotten in the last week is quite significant.

Maybe we're getting closer to an actual release now.

Beckx

Man, the amount of info we've gotten in the last week is quite significant.

Maybe we're getting closer to an actual release now.

That or they got several more systems done.

That travel update makes me really, really happy.

So Chucklefish is working on a second game to release this year? Guys, can we please get the first game?

@WorldOfSven Twitter said:
Been putting together a video for another title Chucklefish will be putting out later this year! Hopefully will be able to show you soon!

FloatOn

As a pretty big fan of Terraria (logged about 65 hours on that) I'm desperate for this game. I'm really hoping that the online aspect of it isn't cumbersome as Terraria was. Anyone know how it's going to work with joining games?

Well, Chucklefish is "technically" a publisher now (they published Wanderlust on Steam), so maybe this is just another published game.

Guess it would make sense. He does say they're putting it out and not that they're working on it.

It was more of a joke though. All the luck to them,
as long as it doesn't slow down starbound!!!

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Guess it would make sense. He does say they're putting it out and not that they're working on it.

It was more of a joke though. All the luck to them,
as long as it doesn't slow down starbound!!!

Or, another theory...
They're putting out a 2nd game this year, because, 1st game is practically done.

Then again, 2nd theory does make the wait all the more painful. ^O^

charsace

Straight to the motherfucking vein is where this will go! I'm just surprised they haven't done a alpha release like Zomboid, Kenshi, Edge of Space and other procedural focused games.

Retro

I'm guessing when you die, this is what happens;

tN7qbX2.gif

(From Twitter)

Tiy had an informal Q&A on IRC, here's the transcript (cut out the crap questions like "What is your favorite color?"); http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/tiys-irc-q-a.14318/

I'd post some, but it actually breaks the character limit so you'll have to go look yourself. Some really good tidbits in there.

I applaud the dev team for being so ambitious, but a lot of this is starting to scream "feature creep." It sounds like most stuff isn't content complete, and others aren't even past conceptual/design stages. This thing won't come out until spring of next year at this rate. :/

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I applaud the dev team for being so ambitious, but a lot of this is starting to scream "feature creep." It sounds like most stuff isn't content complete, and others aren't even past conceptual/design stages. This thing won't come out until spring of next year at this rate. :/
On the one hand, I want to say "Terraria came incomplete and filled out beautifully. We are a good fanbase and we will support you."

On the other hand, I see a chance to craft one of the greatest games of all time here, one of those examples you can point to about what makes the PC scene a beautiful thing, so they should take their time to craft it into all that it can be to capture that initial impression and position in history, rather than being a "but they cleaned it up later" sleeper-hit footnote-in-game-history kind of thing.

demidar

On the one hand, I want to say "Terraria came incomplete and filled out beautifully. We are a good fanbase and we will support you."

On the other hand, I see a chance to craft one of the greatest games of all time here, one of those examples you can point to about what makes the PC scene a beautiful thing, so they should take their time to craft it into all that it can be to capture that initial impression and position in history, rather than being a "but they cleaned it up later" sleeper-hit footnote-in-game-history kind of thing.

I guess it depends on how much money they have left to keep development up, but I really want to get my hands on this.

Retro

Yeah, it's a little disconcerting, but at one point in the Q&A they do mention they have limited the amount of features so they can actually launch the damn thing;

To get the game out there and into peoples hands, we have to just stop picking up new features at some point. And right now we're working to a set list. But we're 100% going to be revisiting all of these suggestions post release.

So hopefully feature creep, from here on out at least, won't be a problem.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
You would think technology so advanced to recreate your body after you die, they could have had the decency to program the machine to give more clothing than a red speedo.

Exuro

I haven't caught up with the news of this game but have they said anything on an improved multiplayer system? I remember having to forward ports and junk for Terarria. Wasn't the most user friendly system.

From Twitter:

Lovely atmospheric. I hope the planet graphics change according to what planet you are nearest.

Has it been detailed what exactly the ship view is useful for? Does it act as a shared inventory stash so you can transfer goods from planet to planet?

Reminds me of the beginning of Exile for Amiga/C64. I hope the asteroids collide with the hull and smash into smaller asteroids... that added so much atmosphere to Exile.

Retro

Lovely atmospheric. I hope the planet graphics change according to what planet you are nearest.

Has it been detailed what exactly the ship view is useful for? Does it act as a shared inventory stash so you can transfer goods from planet to planet?

Reminds me of the beginning of Exile for Amiga/C64. I hope the asteroids collide with the hull and smash into smaller asteroids... that added so much atmosphere to Exile.

Yes, the planet graphics change depending on what planet you are over, and show all of the suns, moons, etc. in that system. This also goes for when you're on the planet's surface; if there are other planets or moons in the area, they will be off on the horizon.

I'm not sure if they've changed things or not, but unless it's changed there's a central space station which is your home-base. That's where all of your NPCs hang out, where you have your shared inventory stash, and such. Along with upgrading it to add stuff like vehicle bays, labs, etc.

Then you have your spaceship, which is what you as an individual use to move between planetary systems. I'm not sure how much carries over from Station to Ship, but from the look of things you can add storage to it, as well as having respawn / teleport capability.

I don't know how much they've changed, at one point they said instead of teleporting to the planet you took a drop ship. I think that's changed.
Agreed. I'm prepared to lose hundreds of hours to this.

Does anyone know how multiplayer is going to work? Can I just join a game via steam or is this going to be another hamachi joint?

As far as I know, Netplay is supposed to be like Terraria, but obviously improved. They have said you won't have an in-game friends list, and will use Steam instead. Not sure how it will work, but anything has to be better than what Terraria did.

Top Bottom