• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbound announced - new game from Terraria artist + new studio

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
If an Ouya version comes out and you can play multiplayer with PC users, that's your reason to buy both right there.

Not really? I really hate buying a game twice. Which is ironic, because I bought Dark Souls for the PC during the Steam sale, and I already have it for the PS3. But other than THAT, yeah, I don't really like buying a game twice.

I might have just used the word "ironic" wrong. Please don't hurt me.

Retro

Sand Physics testing

http://fr.twitch.tv/tiyuri/b/355167226

Looks like instead of just dropping straight down, as in Terraria, it will spread out as you'd expect sand to actually do.

Yes, you heard it here first, folks. GAF is excited by dirt.

Also, those underground structures, despite just being wood, look insanely good. I like the guard rails and barrels everywhere. Looks kinda low-tech. I like the little camp sites everywhere, like it's a slow, careful excavation. Considering how much sand is sitting there, it makes sense.

Also, looks like they're making ladders out of platforms, but not... you know... actual ladders. I was hoping they would, and maybe they will, but still. So much other awesome things here.

Also, it looks like dirt will automatically create walls behind itself gradually; when they build a big container of sand and then drain it out, you can see background dirt objects that weren't there before.

Also, there's a hunger meter alert at 15 minutes in, and he says he needs food. He then proceeds to spawn raw bacon and use a campfire to cook it. Kind of a shock to see the process so slow, I'm used to Guild Wars 2's crafting that speeds up as you produce the same good (until it does it rapid-fire). Hopefully they change that, or it's going to take forever to mass produce stuff.

Raxum

Sand Physics testing

Looks like instead of just dropping straight down, as in Terraria, it will spread out as you'd expect sand to actually do.

Also, those underground structures, despite just being wood, look insanely good. I like the guard rails and barrels everywhere. Looks kinda low-tech. I like the little camp sites everywhere, like it's a slow, careful excavation. Considering how much sand is sitting there, it makes sense.

Also, looks like they're making ladders out of platforms, but not... you know... actual ladders. I was hoping they would, and maybe they will, but still. So much other awesome things here.

Also, it looks like dirt will automatically create walls behind itself gradually; when they build a big container of sand and then drain it out, you can see background dirt objects that weren't there before.

Also, there's a hunger meter alert at 15 minutes in, and he says he needs food. He then proceeds to spawn raw bacon and use a campfire to cook it. Kind of a shock to see the process so slow, I'm used to Guild Wars 2's crafting that speeds up as you produce the same good (until it does it rapid-fire). Hopefully they change that, or it's going to take forever to mass produce stuff.

WHY?! WHY DID I HAVE TO GET TO WORK TO SEE THIS!? I can't view twitch.tv at work unfortunately, but you make the physics sound pretty awesome. I'm alright with ladders made out of platforms, I tend to prefer platforming anyway :p

Hunger meter will be awesome either way, and might also encourage people on the GAF server to work together a bit. Having to help craft food for everyone and keeping people fed during the mass building I'm sure will occur on the general trade planet would give everyone something to do to keep busy.

Sand Physics testing

sn3VU.gif

I'm kind of curious what he was trying to not have the camera see at like the 1 min mark. Wonder if it has something to do with whatever looks buried just on the surface? Was thinking it was maybe part of his underground structure, but it seemed like he was trying to just not look down at that time.

I want this damn game!

ElfArmy177

Sand Physics testing

at work.. Quick, somebody GIF it! :)

Retro

WHY?! WHY DID I HAVE TO GET TO WORK TO SEE THIS!? I can't view twitch.tv at work unfortunately, but you make the physics sound pretty awesome. I'm alright with ladders made out of platforms, I tend to prefer platforming anyway :p

Hunger meter will be awesome either way, and might also encourage people on the GAF server to work together a bit. Having to help craft food for everyone and keeping people fed during the mass building I'm sure will occur on the general trade planet would give everyone something to do to keep busy.

Sorry to torture you. I was trying to summarize the video as I watched it, so you're not missing a whole lot except the (arguably, pretty important) visuals. Luckily, I can take screen caps;

starvco3h.jpg

I'm kind of curious what he was trying to not have the camera see at like the 1 min mark. Wonder if it has something to do with whatever looks buried just on the surface? Was thinking it was maybe part of his underground structure, but it seemed like he was trying to just not look down at that time.

Yeah, looked like some kind of grey rocks or something. Maybe fossils? It could have just been ore and we're imagining that he was trying to look away from it.

at work.. Quick, somebody GIF it! :)

Somebody else will have to do it, but hopefully the screencaps give you a rough idea of how it works. I tried to capture before/after pics with some of the sand cascading so you can see it 'as it happens'.

Raxum

Sorry to torture you. I was trying to summarize the video as I watched it, so you're not missing a whole lot except the (arguably, pretty important) visuals. Luckily, I can take screen caps;

Yeah, looked like some kind of grey rocks or something. Maybe fossils? It could have just been ore and we're imagining that he was trying to look away from it.

Somebody else will have to do it, but hopefully the screencaps give you a rough idea of how it works. I tried to capture before/after pics with some of the sand cascading so you can see it 'as it happens'.

Thanks for the screencaps Retro! from what I can see there I think I have a good idea of how it works. Looks pretty good to me, and means that you won't find caves like in Terraria that just had lines of sand to the roof. I'll definitely have to go and watch it when I get home from work.

No torture really, I'm just overly excited for this. Terraria was a really good game for me, I enjoyed the building and exploring aspects a lot. So this game is a day one for me, and I'm excited for any news with the game.

EdgeXL

I am really looking forward to StarBound. I bought Terraria when I first joined Steam just to have bought something and gain the ability to send friend requests to people I knew. When I first played it I wasn't even sure what it was and didn't like it at first.

A few days later I tried it again and once I knew what I was doing I began to put an unhealthy amount of hours into it. I have about 80 hours in offline mode and probably another 40-50 hours playing offline. I am not really sure how well Terraria and Starbound will play with a controller since both games require precision when placing or removing materials or when in combat. I'm sure the developers will think of something but I anticipate staying with keyboard and mouse.

Retro

@Tiyur said:
blub blub, work in progress
IuDC7.png

First time we've seen a boat before, looks like they're planning for the ocean biome to be pretty significant.

I'm crossing my fingers for a yellow Submarine.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
First time we've seen a boat before, looks like they're planning for the ocean biome to be pretty significant.

I'm crossing my fingers for a yellow Submarine.

Oh I can imagine it now.

We all go through the trouble of getting water vehicles and try to use them on the GAF server.

Then some asshole drains the ocean.

Retro

Oh I can imagine it now.

We all go through the trouble of getting water vehicles and try to use them on the GAF server.

Then some asshole drains the ocean.

I think we've only had that happen once on purpose, and you're right, he was some asshole. I like to think GAFers know better.

Personally, I can't wait to make an undersea base with a moonpool for my submersible.

Fuck. Building bug is biting. Hard. I might have to play a little Terraria... /sigh

Edit: Just noticed the Robot on the boat is dressed like Link.

demidar

I think we've only had that happen once on purpose, and you're right, he was some asshole. I like to think GAFers know better.

Personally, I can't wait to make an undersea base with a moonpool for my submersible.

Fuck. Building bug is biting. Hard. I might have to play a little Terraria... /sigh

Edit: Just noticed the Robot on the boat is dressed like Link.

I thought it was quite clearly a spoof of Wind Waker.

That said, if ocean biomes are gonna be a thing I hope they put in giant squids, krakens and all kinds of deep-sea monstrosities to really bring my fear to life. And make the water darker as you descend deeper.

dot

For some reason I didn't think of boats when they mentioned vehicles. Sweet.

Didn't think there would be boats either. I'm pleasantly surprised...i think.

I thought it was quite clearly a spoof of Wind Waker.

That said, if ocean biomes are gonna be a thing I hope they put in giant squids, krakens and all kinds of deep-sea monstrosities to really bring my fear to life. And make the water darker as you descend deeper.

lol no. That sounds terrifying! :c

Arksy

Every time I see this thread bumped I expect a release date and I'm forever disappointed. It's 2013 now, no news on possible release?

VandalD

Thanks for posting the videos and just general info over the last few months. I didn't think they'd be streaming or recording footage from the game. Bit weird to be clicking a link going "sand video? AWESOME," but it's Starbound, and Terraria stole many hours of my life.

Retro

Soon? I've heard this before. We're never getting it! :(

Sure feels that way, sorry in advance for all of the non-release date news bumps. For some of us (though I'm not sure who) it helps to get updates to keep hope alive. Then there are those of us who are slowly being driven mad.

Seriously though, I hope we get a date soon, but if they're just now adding stuff like sand physics and ocean biomes, I'm not gonna hold my breath. I hope I am wrong, but I am leaving towards Summer... They seem bound and determined to launch on a strong footing and not have their hand forced like Terraria (which was leaked, as I recall). They will probably play this one close to the chest until it is more or less done.

Still, i hope I am wrong and we see this in the spring.

Arksy

Sure feels that way, sorry in advance for all of the non-release date news bumps. For some of us (though I'm not sure who) it helps to get updates to keep hope alive. Then there are those of us who are slowly being driven mad.

Seriously though, I hope we get a date soon, but if they're just now adding stuff like sand physics and ocean biomes, I'm not gonna hold my breath. I hope I am wrong, but I am leaving towards Summer... They seem bound and determined to launch on a strong footing and not have their hand forced like Terraria (which was leaked, as I recall). They will probably play this one close to the chest until it is more or less done.

Still, i hope I am wrong and we see this in the spring.

Miyamoto.gif "A delayed game is eventually good, a rushed game is bad forever." As much as I hate to admit it, I'd rather they take the time to add in things like water biomes and sand physics for launch. I know this is a game I'll spend a good hundred hours on or more, so I'd rather they get it right from the get go. Terraria at launch was decent, but it didn't really come into its own for a few patches.

In other news, the sand physics and water biomes look great. They've really outdone themselves with this game. Talk about ambitious.

Retro

Miyamoto.gif "A delayed game is eventually good, a rushed game is bad forever." As much as I hate to admit it, I'd rather they take the time to add in things like water biomes and sand physics for launch. I know this is a game I'll spend a good hundred hours on or more, so I'd rather they get it right from the get go. Terraria at launch was decent, but it didn't really come into its own for a few patches.

In other news, the sand physics and water biomes look great. They've really outdone themselves with this game. Talk about ambitious.

Definitely agree with you on waiting. Terraria launched far earlier than they had planned because there were leaked copies basically being widely distributed and they wanted to get in front of it. If I remember correctly, Redigit said that the last major patch (when they added hard mode) actually brought the game up to where he had wanted to launch it. I could be wrong though, my memory is fuzzy.

But yes, I would rather have Starbound up to snuff and polished rather than play it half-assed now. Just wish we had a rough idea where they are at in terms of progress.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Okay, this is probably going to be the best game ever. With every new detail my hype boner throbs harder. Terraria is one of my favorite games and this makes it look like a prototype demo.

vareon

Definitely agree with you on waiting. Terraria launched far earlier than they had planned because there were leaked copies basically being widely distributed and they wanted to get in front of it. If I remember correctly, Redigit said that the last major patch (when they added hard mode) actually brought the game up to where he had wanted to launch it. I could be wrong though, my memory is fuzzy.

But yes, I would rather have Starbound up to snuff and polished rather than play it half-assed now. Just wish we had a rough idea where they are at in terms of progress.

First time I heard about that case. Interesting.

Retro

First time I heard about that case. Interesting.

Yeah, it's mostly from the forums, but an Alpha version of the game leaked and became widely available. It was passed around like crazy on their official forums, so of course they exploded when some people could play and others couldn't (whether because they didn't know where to look or didn't agree with playing a pirated copy). The game was no where near ready to launch when it went up on steam, but they were hemorrhaging sales every second they waited.

I think that really speaks to Redigit's lack of skill / understanding. The game got out there fast and couldn't be locked down, it's like he didn't build any kind of control into his test clients.

Beckx

The more I see, the more I get hyped for this game.

I am trying not to get hyped, but every so often I check the site, am reminded that I will have a spaceship, can visit other planets, fight aliens, and make a lab dedicated to Ape Flu research, and then get all discombobulated again.

Sand demo video isn't helping.

Rootbeer

Banned
Instantaneous buy for me, but hoping they support it longer than Terraria. They had to let it go, I get that, but it felt too soon.

bengraven

My god, this game looks beautiful. And knowing the entire world is manipulatible...

Hundreds of hours of my life are basically in queue for this.

Nohar

Summary of the video Chucklewut :

Nice video. The music is quite soothing. Though, I have to wonder how exactly water/lava works: as we can see, it tends to disappear rather easily... It makes me wonder if water/lava goes through dirt and may not stopped until it encounters rock, of if it just disappears in thin air.

The trees leafs moving when it's windy (with different strenght of winds) is a very nice addition.

Monsters will have some attack patterns it seems (though, attacking with its eyeball ? Ewww). During the video, Tiy mentions that only the "charge" IA pattern was enabled. There will be many others mixed together. Some will include projectiles and pouncing.
For now, monsters explode when killed. This will be changed in the final version (they will more likely collapse)... "Unless you hit them with a bazooka", of course.
Friendly NPCs will eat your crops.

The magnifying glass will allow us to see the funny descriptions of items and stuff. Completly useless addition, which makes it even more awesome and essential.

Different types of storage container, including crates and (avian) chests.

Human characters will be able to wear apex, aqua, avian, robo or floran armor (and vice-versa I guess - it doesn't seem like equipment will be restricted to one race in particular).
Tiy writes in the video that there will be 10 tiers of armors, and procedurally generated ones.
He also rants a little about naming conventions while trying to spawn some items :p

Weapons will have different attack animations : a sword's animation will be different from an axe's. Same for spears. Though the two different kind of swords we can see in the vudeo have the same attack animation. It's probable, though, that some swords will have different animations, depending of the kind of sword, its lenght, power, etc. (we can see that a great sword's animation is different from the short swords one). The Hammer deals more damage, but has a long lag time between attacks. Wait and see I guess.

Characters will have a "back" armor slot, allowing them to wear things like capes... Or even wings it seems (Tiy's character wears avian iron wings - leeeeet's not point that this should be way too heavy for someone's back, fashion knows no boundaries !).

There IS a food meter which appears at the end of the video.

Adnor

Banned
Summary of the video Chucklewut :

Nice video. The music is quite soothing. Though, I have to wonder how exactly water/lava works: as we can see, it tends to disappear rather easily... It makes me wonder if water/lava goes through dirt and may not stopped until it encounters rock, of if it just disappears in thin air.

If I remember correctly, if there is no background wall the liquids will "leak" to the background or something like that, that's why it doesn't disappear underground.

There IS a food meter which appears at the end of the video.

Thanks for the write up! In the last video they had a part dealing with the food meter. Tiy had a notification saying he was hungry or something and he had to make a fire and make bacon to refill his meter.

Top Bottom