• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbound announced - new game from Terraria artist + new studio

Retro

New page, let's move past the drive-by spouting of uninformed opinions and let the thread move on, even if it means slipping off the front page for a few days until the next tweet describing some miniscule feature.

Because honestly, responding to that kind of comment leads nowhere good.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
New page, let's move past the drive-by spouting of uninformed opinions and let the thread move on, even if it means slipping off the front page for a few days until the next tweet describing some miniscule feature.

Because honestly, responding to that kind of comment leads nowhere good.

Righty-o.
Then lets discuss the Ouya.

So, Chucklefish won a Ouya dev kit, and a bunch of sites are saying Starbound is gonna be on it. But I haven't actually seen any hard confirmation that its actually going to be on the Ouya?
I mean, Tiy mentioned on Twitter that they're excited to see if they can get the Ouya control scheme to work with the game. But that's not really a confirmation that its definitely coming.

Now if it does come to the Ouya, the question is:
For those actually getting an Ouya, are you going to get Starbound for it?
In all likelyhood, an Ouya version would probably come out later than the PC version. So would you guys wait for an Ouya version, get the PC version only, or just buy the game twice?
And just to throw this out there, there's no word on cross-platform play (between an Ouya and PC). Is this even important to your decision?

ZoddGutts

Yeah he was either a troll or some ignorant poster. If he played Terraria he would know that it's not mediocre like Retro City Rampage. Terraria has gotten great reviews/feedback from both the press and gamers. Starbound is taking Terraria's concept and is improving it. The person who is making this game also helped made Terraria, which is why people are excited for this game. Anyways moving on....

demidar

Righty-o.

So, Chucklefish won a Ouya dev kit, and a bunch of sites are saying Starbound is gonna be on it. But I haven't actually seen any hard confirmation that its actually going to be on the Ouya?
I mean, Tiy mentioned on Twitter that they're excited to see if they can get the Ouya control scheme to work with the game. But that's not really a confirmation that its definitely coming.

In all likelyhood, an Ouya version would probably come out later than the PC version. So would you guys wait for an Ouya version, get the PC version only, or just buy the game twice?
And just to throw this out there, there's no word on cross-platform play (between an Ouya and PC). Is this even important to your decision?

Prefacing this, I probably won't get an OUYA, but unless playing on the OUYA gives some kind of decisive advantage, I suspect everyone will just get it on PC. It's already set up and seems designed with KB+M in mind.

edit: Wait Retro City Rampage sucks? First I've heard that.

dLMN8R

Righty-o.

There's no hard information about any game actually making it to the Ouya. Just a bunch of non-commital "we'll see" from every dev involved. Even those that the Ouya people have claimed "confirmed" to come to the console didn't actually have any confirmations of anything.

Absolutely no reason for me to wait for an Ouya version, if it every actually happened in the first place.

El Sloth

Banned
I really do hope the enemies act more like something you'd find in a Castlevania than Terraria. I hope that's not asking for too much.

demidar

I really do hope the enemies act more like something you'd find in a Castlevania than Terraria. I hope that's not asking for too much.

Biggest negative for me was the enemy attack patterns- or the lack thereof. All they did was run into you or shoot you.

Raxum

They'd like to have something, yes. But I think right now its "get the game out and working" before they start incorporating mod support.

They did mention Steam Workshop functionality.

See i thought mod support would be something you'd have to plan for from the start of a project. All the formats and way things are input/set should be planned out to make it easier to add mods into the game right?

Nohar

Honestly, I don't think you should get your hopes up about it. According to what I saw and read, the monsters are randomly generated, and they don't seem to act with different attack patterns (apart from charging into you). Sure, the game is still in development, we haven't seen everything, and they claimed that they wanted to give a "Castlevania-vibe" to their game, but as for now nothing shown seems to meet their claims.

Wait and see, I guess. There is still plenty of time to prove me wrong.

A preview of farming:

PjX2X.png

Edit: I think it's the first time we've seen those types of windows? Maybe not. Either way they're nice.

Raxum

Hey all, following the Starbound facebook page, they just posted a character generator link. Forums seem to be down at the moment though due to the traffic XD Still, thought I'd post it for people to enjoy once they're back up.

Retro

Hey all, following the Starbound facebook page, they just posted a character generator link. Forums seem to be down at the moment though due to the traffic XD Still, thought I'd post it for people to enjoy once they're back up.

Yeah, just saw this, but I was going to wait to post it since it's having technical difficulties. Haven't gotten a chance to see it yet myself.

Raxum

Yeah, just saw this, but I was going to wait to post it since it's having technical difficulties. Haven't gotten a chance to see it yet myself.

I just got onto the site to check it out, pretty awesome so far. Going to spend some time with it and find a character I like the look of so I can just straight up make it when the game comes out.

Trying to keep it to yourself I see...

Side note, did the ever reveal the last race? Checking out the player creator will be cool, but I want the damn game!

Raxum

My main gaming itches are Exploration, Customization and Building.

There's a lot of itches Starbound is going to scratch.

Same for me, spent a lot of time in Terraria with building and exploring. The addition of farming might just hold me in Starbound, especially if we run with a server.

What races are you all thinking of going? I'm a bit torn between a few of them myself.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Same for me, spent a lot of time in Terraria with building and exploring. The addition of farming might just hold me in Starbound, especially if we run with a server.

What races are you all thinking of going? I'm a bit torn between a few of them myself.

Main character will as much as possible, match whatever the hell my Terraria character looked like. So yes, I will choose boring human.

Raxum

Main character will as much as possible, match whatever the hell my Terraria character looked like. So yes, I will choose boring human.

I wasn't on the GAF Terraria server, so I'm giving myself free reign to make anything. Considering either a Floran(?) or a robot for my character. Not sure which I like at the moment though. Having trouble making a Floran I'm happy with though.

Retro

Probably human. Terraria / Starbound is one of the few games where I'm fine playing a character that looks similar to me.

Also one of the few places where I am okay with my character just being named "Retro".

Raxum

Probably human. Terraria / Starbound is one of the few games where I'm fine playing a character that looks similar to me.

Also one of the few places where I am okay with my character just being named "Retro".

Hmm, well I guess we can't all be the same race otherwise it'd be hard to share tech properly. My name will be Raxxum in game. Hopefully this pulls me in at least as much as Terraria, I'll build a giant base on a world on the server. :D

Retro

Hmm, well I guess we can't all be the same race otherwise it'd be hard to share tech properly. My name will be Raxxum in game. Hopefully this pulls me in at least as much as Terraria, I'll build a giant base on a world on the server. :D

That's actually a good point, I hadn't even considered that. "Retro" fits for a robot too, actually....

Raxum

That's actually a good point, I hadn't even considered that. "Retro" fits for a robot too, actually....

Alright, if you want Robot, I might go Floran. I wonder how distant the starting worlds will be. Also, have they stated in any way how characters will work? Will it be like Terraria where a character can be used on any game or like minecraft where it is tied to the game?

Retro

Alright, if you want Robot, I might go Floran. I wonder how distant the starting worlds will be. Also, have they stated in any way how characters will work? Will it be like Terraria where a character can be used on any game or like minecraft where it is tied to the game?

They've said that the server host can set specifically how it works; restrictions on items, or force you to create a new character.

Starting worlds shouldn't matter, as it gets blown up right at the beginning anyways and you end up on a space station.

And as for Robots, looking at their customization options, they appear to be Victorian Robots. Or Medieval. But definitely Ye Olde Robot, which is nice because I like Castles.

Raxum

They've said that the server host can set specifically how it works; restrictions on items, or force you to create a new character.

Starting worlds shouldn't matter, as it gets blown up right at the beginning anyways and you end up on a space station.

And as for Robots, looking at their customization options, they appear to be Victorian Robots. Or Medieval. But definitely Ye Olde Robot, which is nice because I like Castles.

Ah that will be good, either way I will probably make a separate character for the GAF server.

Also the Victorian/medieval style robots fit your name :p

Retro

Ah that will be good, either way I will probably make a separate character for the GAF server.

Also the Victorian/medieval style robots fit your name :p

That particular thought had occurred to me, yes. I will probably use the same character across all games, as I will want the maximum amount of mobility, storage and available items to build on the server. Exploring and such is fun with a group, but the biggest time sink for me in Terraria was staying up late building on GAF server.

Adnor

Banned

Well I will be boring and basically playing as myself.

There will be a GAF server? I have never played Terraria with gaffers, but maybe I will try with this game.

Retro

Well I will be boring and basically playing as myself.

There will be a GAF server? I have never played Terraria with gaffers, but maybe I will try with this game.

Meh, I play myself in Guild Wars 2 (sorta, they don't have a goatee as bushy or as awesome as mine) and had a close approximation in Terraria. Only reason I'm leaning towards Robot is because it will maximize StarboundGAF's ability to get the different furniture/block/weapon/armor styles pooled.

That and they're fucking Victorian robots of course.

As for a GAF server, we don't know how network play will work for Starbound, but chances are good we'll have one server we all play on.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
And from the Starbound forums, pictures;

Looks like the ocean biome might have dynamic wave physics instead of just flat water.

Oh great, now I cant get the thought out of my head that the character in those pics looks like a shirt-less Jean Luc Picard.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
It's Jan 2013. I still can't throw money at this game? Wtf is wrong with the world? :(

You didn't hear? The world ended in the Mayan Apocalypse, back in December 21, 2012.

That's why we don't have the game yet. We're all in purgatory now.

Retro

Oh great, now I cant get the thought out of my head that the character in those pics looks like a shirt-less Jean Luc Picard.

... But he has hair.

It's Jan 2013. I still can't throw money at this game? Wtf is wrong with the world? :(

Technically you can buy Wanderlust, which some of the proceeds go to Chucklefish. In a roundabout way, you could just buy a ton of copies of that.

Realistically though, the fact that they're adding Oceans now tells me that we might be in for a longer wait than expected. I would love for them to give us an update, but the community on their forums is rabid and every little thing they say or do gets a new thread.

Seriously, they have a policy of one-thread per tweet because so many people were generating new threads for every single one of them.

So I don't think they will give any indicators until they're close.

duckroll

Technically you can buy Wanderlust, which some of the proceeds go to Chucklefish. In a roundabout way, you could just buy a ton of copies of that.

I don't do the "buy [x] game to support [y] game!" thing. I actually checked Wanderlust out when they announced that, but the game really didn't seem like something I would enjoy so I passed on it.

What they should do is allow me to pay for Starbound, because I want Starbound. :p

Zomba13

You didn't hear? The world ended in the Mayan Apocalypse, back in December 21, 2012.

That's why we don't have the game yet. We're all in purgatory now.

Didn't YOU hear? Dikembe Mutombo saved the world and added a few extra months to the mayan calender.

I can't wait for this. Why can't I have it right now ;_;

Retro

If an Ouya version comes out and you can play multiplayer with PC users, that's your reason to buy both right there.

I dunno, I'm sure Terraria can be played with a controller (since it's coming to Consoles, it'd better), and likewise Starbound, but I just can't see not having a Keyboard and Mouse for a game like this. Especially when I'll be doing so much precise building.

Does the Ouya support KB&M? I've only ever seen a controller.

I don't do the "buy [x] game to support [y] game!" thing. I actually checked Wanderlust out when they announced that, but the game really didn't seem like something I would enjoy so I passed on it.

What they should do is allow me to pay for Starbound, because I want Starbound. :p

Hey, man, I'm in the same boat as you. I'm just telling you what you could theoretically do.

Realistically all we can do is wait.

And cry a little.

Okay, a lot.

Top Bottom