• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbound announced - new game from Terraria artist + new studio

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
It's literally one guy from Terraria. Don't infer what Starbound is gonna be like from that game.

The one guy from Terraria who did the ART. I doubt he had any major influence on the updates for the game.

Man, we need to really clear this up once and for all. Sales of Starbound might be held back because of the people who were burned by Terraria.

VandalD

Sales of Starbound might be held back because of the people who were burned by Terraria.
I don't think this will be an issue. There's nothing else out there like Terraria and Starbound. Minecraft has been the closest comparison I've seen, and they're only barely alike. I don't know what the mod situation is with Terraria, but I'd think most people would jump on the newer game, unless they just don't want to play this kind of game anymore.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Hey, 50% of the development team of Terraria is a substantial amount!

1/3rd of the team. :p

I think they only had 3 people on the team? The only ones I know of are Red, Blue, and Tiy.

Their site seems to be dead. Wanted to see their current status

That's odd, it was working yesterday.

However, the current status of the game is pretty much the info we have here in the thread, the latest info being under a week old, its about as up to date you can get, without actually going to the game's website.

Deques

However, the current status of the game is pretty much the info we have here in the thread, the latest info being under a week old, its about as up to date you can get, without actually going to the game's website.

I haven't been following this thread, so that's why I wanted to check their site

Retro

Their site seems to be dead. Wanted to see their current status

Yeah, according to their twitter "A core team member has had multiple passwords compromised, one of which was a server password. This user has super user level access to the server." They decided to pull the plug just to be safe, and "the site will be down for at least a few hours today for server maintenance."

Nohar

Yeah, according to their twitter "A core team member has had multiple passwords compromised, one of which was a server password. This user has super user level access to the server." They decided to pull the plug just to be safe, and "the site will be down for at least a few hours today for server maintenance."

Arf :s I hope they will be able to fix this quickly, and that the site and forums will be intact.

dLMN8R

I cannot believe that people still bitch about Terraria's support. It was supported for more than a year after its initial launch, and they increased the amount of content in the game by an order of magnitude during that time.

Retro

I cannot believe that people still bitch about Terraria's support. It was supported for more than a year after its initial launch, and they increased the amount of content in the game by an order of magnitude during that time.

People bitched when it was accidentally 75% off, and then it jumped back to 50% off after someone noticed. The difference was like $2.44, but SUDDENLY it was too much to pay.

I'd have paid double for half the content and still been content. People want developers these days to move heaven and earth, and throw in the lever while they're at it, and then still bitch that they're not satisfied.

/mini-rant

I don't know.. I'm one of those people that felt disappointed with Terraria. I think it is because Minecraft spoiled people with continued development (even if Notch bailed out). I imagined that Terraria would evolve and evolve (and of course imagined there to be a Mac version at some point).

The sudden announcement that Terraria was no longer being developed felt a bit too abrupt.

dLMN8R

I don't know.. I'm one of those people that felt disappointed with Terraria. I think it is because Minecraft spoiled people with continued development (even if Notch bailed out). I imagined that Terraria would evolve and evolve (and of course imagined there to be a Mac version at some point).

The sudden announcement that Terraria was no longer being developed felt a bit too abrupt.

The systems behind Terraria were never flexible enough to provide the same sort of platform for expansion that Minecraft has enjoyed. Its UI and engine were too simple and haphazardly thrown together. For good reason, since Terraria was the first game that the guys ever made, it started as an experiment, and grew slowly from there.

Starbound seems to be the natural progression from Terraria. What Terraria fans wanted out of Terraria, but what would have been impossible to financially support as continued free content additions to Terraria.

Beckx

Got this from the official forums. Tiy discussing current progress, and, more importantly, that's he's going to put up a development roadmap up to beta.

Some of the major items:

<Tiyuri> current progress lets see
<Tiyuri> world generation is basically complete, we're still adding content because.. the more the better, honestly. But its there and ready to rock. Content wise too, we have lots of biomes with tons of content
<Tiyuri> Dungeon generation is complete system wise. We have lots of dungeons done, not all of them yet, but getting there. There are going to be 2 hostile dungeons and 1 friendly dungeon (village) per race
<Tiyuri> Crafting works, but it's a little ugly at the moment because it doesnt contain all the info its going to contain. So i dont show it off much
<Tiyuri> Multiplayer is near flawless
<Tiyuri> we have a navigation system in but its a bit basic, we want to put in a full star map
<Tiyuri> vehicles arent in yet but we've found a way to do it that makes it very fast and easy
<Tiyuri> npc quests arent in yet, those are going to be quite a big one, take us a while to complete

<Tiyuri> ok so the beta
<Tiyuri> it works like this
<Tiyuri> the game is divided up into 10 tiers
<Tiyuri> each tier has a range of 10 planet levels in it
<Tiyuri> tier 1 is level 1 - 10 planets
<Tiyuri> and so on
<Tiyuri> The planet level dictates the stats of npcs, guns, what kind of drops youll get, etc etc etc
<Tiyuri> the goal of each of the 10 tiers is two fold
<Tiyuri> 1. to complete the premade mission at the end of a tier (full release, not beta)
<Tiyuri> and 2. get the items and equipment you need to be able to do that
<Tiyuri> Every time you beat a tier, youll unlock new gameplay elements
<sny^> so they kind of serve as checkpoints for story/item progression
<Tiyuri> or fun bits and bobs
<Tiyuri> for example, dungeons arent presented straight away, they start appearing in tier 2
<Tiyuri> you can get "tech", which are kind of like passive spells
<Tiyuri> each tier has different tech available on it
<Tiyuri> ores change
<Tiyuri> monsters change
<Tiyuri> the ship gets upgraded in certain tiers
<Tiyuri> unlocking new features
<Tiyuri> this is essentially how the game progresses
<Tiyuri> play sandbox in the tier, gain the equipment you need to beat the tier's end mission > advance to next tier
<Tiyuri> you also need to craft certain items to activate the mission
<Tiyuri> so i guess without the missions being present in the beta, your goal will be to obtain that item
<sny^> does this also imply that we won't have access (or won't stand a chance) on planets with higher tier/level than our current progress?
<Tiyuri> you will, but only up to a point
<Aesthetic-Defile> Or, can the missions be disregarded all together by a player?
<Tiyuri> accessing the entire universe is the end game

<aidey> Tiyuri, are you still confident in a first quarter release of any kind?
<agni> Have you shown any missions or these would be spoilers?
<Tiyuri> aidey: honestly im not sure, we try to predict because people.. want us to
<Tiyuri> I mean, we're asked for a guess a LOT
<Tiyuri> but it's really really hard for us to know how long everything will take to produce
<Tiyuri> sometimes we assume a feature is going to take a month and it takes a week
<Tiyuri> other times, we think something is going to be a single days work, and it spirals into a fortnight
<Tiyuri> its all putting a puzzle together, and you never really know whats going to happen until you start fixing it up
<Tiyuri> and problems pop up you have to solve
<Tiyuri> and sometimes you implement something and it's just.. not good
<Tiyuri> so you redo it

<Tiyuri> we're trying to craft a sort of.. day Z like experience in end game
<Tiyuri> and after release we want a level editor for missions
<Tiyuri> Day Z experience in the sense that, the player has a very large world to play in, a ton of tools to play with, needs that they're required to tend to (hunger, etc), and the ability (should the server allow for it) to fight other players, or ally with them
<Tiyuri> but with no mechanics forcing them to do one thing or the other
<Tiyuri> so you could decide to be a bandit, or form a group of space pirates
<Tiyuri> flying from planet to planet robbing other players

Sounds like a lot of stuff. I'm liking the idea of the tiers, but hoping it doesn't put sort of a finite feel to it.

Really sad to hear not a lot of confidence in a Q1 release, but I guess the longer it takes the better.

Beckx

Sounds like a lot of stuff. I'm liking the idea of the tiers, but hoping it doesn't put sort of a finite feel to it.

Really sad to hear not a lot of confidence in a Q1 release, but I guess the longer it takes the better.

Yeah. I'm late to the Terraria party (just bought a four pack to play with my kids) so hopefully that will tide me over a bit.

But if they get the endgame right a GAF server could be incredible.

charsace

I don't think this will be an issue. There's nothing else out there like Terraria and Starbound. Minecraft has been the closest comparison I've seen, and they're only barely alike. I don't know what the mod situation is with Terraria, but I'd think most people would jump on the newer game, unless they just don't want to play this kind of game anymore.

Edge of Space and Starforge.

Arksy

I'm feeling a terraria binge coming on while waiting for this game. We should see if we can set up a new GAF server and get some players together.

Retro

I'm feeling a terraria binge coming on while waiting for this game. We should see if we can set up a new GAF server and get some players together.

We did discuss having an "End of Terraria" farewell party, but maybe we can have one set up early. Up to HaRyu, he's the one who figured that mess out.

Arksy

We did discuss having an "End of Terraria" farewell party, but maybe we can have one set up early. Up to HaRyu, he's the one who figured that mess out.

I honestly did have to go calm the fuck down after hearing that multiplayer works flawlessly in starbound. So glad they got their priorities right.

Raxum

By the sounds of the tiered system, assigning people planets (or people claiming planets) might not work so easily on a GAF server. Especially if you might need tier 5 items for a structure you want but we can't find one that isn't claimed. While I'm sure people will share it might cause a few problems.

However, I'm liking the sounds of everything overall, but I might make one character to take everywhere with me, if that option is available. The progression sounds like it'd be interesting, but might be difficult on a server. You might need to clear multiple worlds of the same tier to get everyone in the group up to the tier above that.

duckroll

<aidey> Tiyuri, are you still confident in a first quarter release of any kind?
<Tiyuri> aidey: honestly im not sure, we try to predict because people.. want us to
<Tiyuri> I mean, we're asked for a guess a LOT
<Tiyuri> but it's really really hard for us to know how long everything will take to produce
<Tiyuri> sometimes we assume a feature is going to take a month and it takes a week
<Tiyuri> other times, we think something is going to be a single days work, and it spirals into a fortnight
<Tiyuri> its all putting a puzzle together, and you never really know whats going to happen until you start fixing it up
<Tiyuri> and problems pop up you have to solve
<Tiyuri> and sometimes you implement something and it's just.. not good
<Tiyuri> so you redo it

Vadarnooooooooooooooooooooooo.jpg

:(

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Still curious about the multi-play aspect, mainly on the server side. Running the Terraria server, everything went to hell when we started to exceed 15+ people, constant crashing usually.

Keep in mind, that's on the largest sized map available. In Starbound terms, that's just ONE world. Obviously, its not Terraria anymore, so hopefully, the server side isn't based on the Terraria code, but I'd love to know that multiple worlds work great.

By the sounds of the tiered system, assigning people planets (or people claiming planets) might not work so easily on a GAF server. Especially if you might need tier 5 items for a structure you want but we can't find one that isn't claimed. While I'm sure people will share it might cause a few problems.

There's a crafting system in place too though, slightly more advanced than Terraria, in that you have to actually find the plans/recipes to build stuff. Sure you can gift stuff, but I would think that you would screw yourself if you kept getting gifts, but never bothered to actually find all those plans.

And Terraria's loot system was messed up, honestly. Its pretty much the same like any other MMO, in that other players can probably gift you high level stuff, but there wasn't much in checks and balances. A lot of the high level crap you can get, you can use immediately, it wasn't like they were locked out from use due to level, or some other requirement (I know some items had requirements, just talking about the majority)

And all the mods that were out for Terraria, they did make the game broken in some aspects (magically creating items for players on the fly, no clipping, etc). Thankfully, believe it or not, that big ass vault we had on the Terraria server, all that loot wasn't made through mods, at least not by me. Any loot that was there, was either found by me, left by other players, or carried over from previous maps. Now, that doesn't mean those other players didn't use mods to get those items, but I can say for sure I didn't take that route.

Cant really say much about how blatant trading of high level crap in Starbound will affect things, until we actually get the game, but I'm probably not going to be giving out a lot of free stuff this time around. I'll still try and have my somewhat semi-customary "Oh Hey, New Guy, Here's a Welcome Gift" thing, but other than that, I'm either going to find loot myself, or I'm going to be off building.

Not too early. :p

As soon as we get a hard release date, I'll figure out when to put the server up for the Apocalypse.

Retro

And all the mods that were out for Terraria, they did make the game broken in some aspects (magically creating items for players on the fly, no clipping, etc). Thankfully, believe it or not, that big ass vault we had on the Terraria server, all that loot wasn't made through mods, at least not by me. Any loot that was there, was either found by me, left by other players, or carried over from previous maps. Now, that doesn't mean those other players didn't use mods to get those items, but I can say for sure I didn't take that route.

Cant really say much about how blatant trading of high level crap in Starbound will affect things, until we actually get the game, but I'm probably not going to be giving out a lot of free stuff this time around. I'll still try and have my somewhat semi-customary "Oh Hey, New Guy, Here's a Welcome Gift" thing, but other than that, I'm either going to find loot myself, or I'm going to be off building.

When I'd make a little hidden area, I'd usually just put cosmetic goodies in there; the Indiana Jones outfit in the ruins, for example. Otherwise, I just tried to give Lucky Horseshoes to people because fall damage is kinda cheap, especially on our maps where we had hellevators and stuff that people would stumble into.

One thing I did enjoy, however, was being able to generate building materials. I enjoy just flat out building, when I play The Sims I always put in the unlimited money code. Not because I'm cheating to be rich, but because my enjoyment of that game starts with "What cool house can I build" and ends with "Well, that house is cool."

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Moooooooooooon.

ubkZ0.jpg

Cue crying, sobbing, and da givings of all da moneyz.

Retro

Seriously, if I can't get my wife hooked on this (she says she'll try it, since they have cooking and farming and distinctively non-combat activities) she's probably gonna divorce my ass. I'm gonna be that smelly guy hanging outside Starbucks, using their wifi to play.

Joking (?) aside, being able to paint means that instead of dealing with 20 different colored versions of the same brick, we'll now basically just need one brick type that we can paint.

And since bricks are also placed directly into the background to create walls (instead of being their own separate object), we also won't need to have 20 different colored version of the same walls. This will greatly help with inventory management, no longer will we need to have giant warehouses with chests full of bricks.

Well, I mean, we won't NEED too, but I'm sure as hell gonna end up doing that anyways.

Retro

From IRC:
Tiy: paint is applied differently to every material, painting bricks yellow wont make them look like gold :)
Tiy: Also, we limited it to man made materials only. It didn't sit right with us that you could run around painting the dirt."

Beckx

Tiy on Twitter: "this is what happens when our sound guy gets his hands on the paint tool":

K2yiK.jpg

Edit: stained glass. My recreation of the Symphony of the Night castle in Starbound will be a reality!

Kouriozan

Tiy on Twitter: "this is what happens when our sound guy gets his hands on the paint tool":

K2yiK.jpg

Edit: stained glass. My recreation of the Symphony of the Night castle in Starbound will be a reality!

Oh my... I really need this game, NOW!
So...when will we be able to pre-order? :p

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Oh that's sweet. Being allowed to paint on glass definitely gets rid of the problem we had in Terraria, building sprites out of blocks.

For those who don't know, you build a structure big enough without any gaps to the background, there's not going to be any light, lighting up that section of the structure. So huge structures would have giant black spots in them. The only ways to get around that is you have to be creative with where you put some gaps/torches.

Gonna need to designate a single planet for art gallery sprite work. :p

Oh that's sweet. Being allowed to paint on glass definitely gets rid of the problem we had in Terraria, building sprites out of blocks.

For those who don't know, you build a structure big enough without any gaps to the background, there's not going to be any light, lighting up that section of the structure. So huge structures would have giant black spots in them. The only ways to get around that is you have to be creative with where you put some gaps/torches.

Gonna need to designate a single planet for art gallery sprite work. :p

On this note, will there be any camera control? Zoom, specifically?

Retro

On this note, will there be any camera control? Zoom, specifically?

The developer has previously mentioned being able to zoom in and out, and specifically mentioned the need to do so when using Sniper Rifles (I'm going to assume your zoom range is based on what weapon you're using).

Retro

Hello, George V here!

We&#8217;ve decided to show you how you&#8217;ll be navigating the cosmos in Starbound. You&#8217;ll be going from planet to planet, system to system, and sector to sector. You&#8217;ll discover odd new worlds and species as you bravely travel where someone may or may not have gone before!

Accessed from your ship&#8217;s console you&#8217;ll be able to open the Navigation Menu.

objectplanet7vafg.png

Currently in this example you&#8217;re in orbit around a gas giant named Delta Aura IV which you cannot land on. You may scan the gas giant for resources and other treats and then be on your way.

objectmoon04z50.png

You click on one of the gas giant&#8217;s moons. It is called DAIVS-II, a scientific name you can change on a whim. Revealed is some basic information about the moon including the fact that you may walk on it. Initiate the FTL to go into orbit if you want but for now we&#8217;re zooming out!

planetarysystemfbqf4.png

With a right click our view becomes a view of the local planetary system. You may click on any of those celestial objects to get basic information on them or even visit them. Make sure you have enough fuel!

sectorspacejmqv3.png

With another right click you&#8217;ll zoom out further revealing a much larger area. Each of those is a dynamically generated planetary system with suns, worlds, and even more to discover! Walk on planets, moons and much more as it&#8217;s not only planets and moons that you may walk on and visit. Click on them to view their info (there&#8217;s no fuel cost to simply look) and travel the stars!

I think with this brief glimpse you can see how BIG this universe will be and hopefully how fun it will be to explore, share discoveries with friends via seed coordinates, and do so much more.

Now, this is all subject to change as we continue to develop the game and test it out. Everything this is a work in progress. Nothing is set in stone but we thought we&#8217;d give you a look into what we&#8217;re currently doing with the development of the game. (source)

Holy shit. There goes all of my free time, forever.

Top Bottom