• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbound announced - new game from Terraria artist + new studio

vareon

I don't buy games from developers that drop support.

Well, that's not the case 100% of the time, but for a Minecraft style game it's unacceptable to discontinue updates.

I take it you didn't follow Terraria from the beginning? Because most people here thanked the developer for the free gigantic updates for almost a year, and wished them luck when they decided to move on to their next project (or life).

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
More recently, I went through and browsed the patch notes - I was flabbergasted at how much the game grew since it's release. Things that I took for granted during my 30+ hours weren't even there until weeks before I started playing. Hardmode didn't even exist until 6+ months after release?? Insanity how well they supported the game!
And the way they went about adding all that stuff was through direct and constant interaction with the community on Terraria Online.

charsace

Well, that's not the case 100% of the time, but for a Minecraft style game it's unacceptable to discontinue updates.

Are you joking? This game got great support. I didn't know devs had to keep on updating a game.

Wow, after looking at that tree video in the second page and the sprites in the OP, I'm definitely interested in this; it looks like a really big and creative game. Also, damn, that spritework is astonishing! It's very detailed, to say the least.
Sadly, I've never played Terraria nor Minecraft so I don't know how this game will play. Still, I like adventuring and treasure hunting, so I'm in.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Terraria is a finished game and is worth every freaking penny. Would I like the game to continure to evolve and get new content? Sure. Do I feel that it HAS to or it's not worth the money? Fuck No.

I paid full price and don't regret a single red cent of it. You stating that it is unacceptable is completely ridiculous and stupid.

Retro

Sadly, I've never played Terraria nor Minecraft so I don't know how this game will play. Still, I like adventuring and treasure hunting, so I'm in.

If Starbound is anything like Terraria, then you'll definitely have the adventure and treasure-hunting regions of your brain over-stimulated. Considering Terraria dumped you into a world of unimaginable depth (literally, the first time you play you have no idea how far down you can dig) with countless biomes, enemies, treasures and building materials... and considering Starbound appears to take that same level of depth and expand it to multiple planets?

Yeah. This will probably sell on steam for $10-20 bucks, but it will easily be worth $60 + subscription fees.

bengraven

After 33 years, this thread has leveled up my geekiness.

I literally shivered, maybe feverishly, or maybe orgasmically, reading both the OP and Duckroll's post 96.

This is the fucking game I've wanted for years and years. Now if they added dog fights and space pirates it will be my GOF.

Retro

They also mentioned that they got stairs working. You can see in that screenshot that instead of the faked-in staircases people would make out of wooden platforms in Terraria, those are actual stairs that players can walk up and down.

Looks like they set out from the start to making building properly. Can't wait to get my hands on it, though I hope we get some less-than-futuristic materials. I liked building castles.

Now if they added dog fights and space pirates it will be my GOF.

Based on what we've seen from them so far, you're more likely to get dog pirates and space fights.

Morokh

Did they actually confirm that the game has block by block building like Terraria ?
They always talk about the 'space station' but not really if you can build anywhere.

Jira

Most of you are probably aware of this, but maybe not. The only person from the Terraria team is Tiy who did the art assets for Terraria. The person responsible for the coding of Terraria is Redigit who is one of the best indie programmers I've ever seen. He started development in Jan 2011 and released in May 2011. That's a paltry 4 months of development with only him coding the entire game. The guy is a beast and as I already said he has nothing to do with Starbound, so don't expect the same results. The only reason SB looks like Terraria is because Tiy is doing the art. Redigit made a game with over 100 hours of content and then over 7 months put in small patches and then the massive 1.1 patch that added another 100 hours.

I have high hopes for Starbound, but know that Redigit has nothing to do with it and is taking some time to work on a new game.

Most of you are probably aware of this, but maybe not. The only person from the Terraria team is Tiy who did the art assets for Terraria. The person responsible for the coding of Terraria is Redigit who is one of the best indie programmers I've ever seen. He started development in Jan 2011 and released in May 2011. That's a paltry 4 months of development with only him coding the entire game. The guy is a beast and as I already said he has nothing to do with Starbound, so don't expect the same results. The only reason SB looks like Terraria is because Tiy is doing the art. Redigit made a game with over 100 hours of content and then over 7 months put in small patches and then the massive 1.1 patch that added another 100 hours.

I have high hopes for Starbound, but know that Redigit has nothing to do with it and is taking some time to work on a new game.

Didn't know this. What's Redigit working on then?

R1CHO

Whoa, i didnt have a clue about this.

Jira

Didn't know this. What's Redigit working on then?

"After a lot of internal debate, we have decided that it is time to move on. My wife and I are due to have another boy soon, and I want to spend some time getting to know him. I also want to spend the time recharging and bettering myself as both a programmer and game designer. I have learned a lot from working on Terraria and plan on using what I've learned, building upon it, and moving forward with another, even better project."

For whatever reason my IP was banned from the terraria forums so maybe take a look at this:

http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/anymore-news-on-redigit.87725/

Retro

The only reason SB looks like Terraria is because Tiy is doing the art.

Tiy isn't doing the art for Starbound though, he has a bunch of other people doing it. As near as I can tell, he's just the lead designer.

As for Redigit, he changed his status at the terraria forums to "big news soon" or something to that effect, then made a comment on diablo 3 and has been silent since.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member

A few of us were aware, and were pretty surprised that "the guy who did the graphics for Terraria" is the one who's in charge of the new company, and was coming out with a pretty ambitious game. And its not like he's doing it by himself, its an 8-man team, last I heard (was originally 7, but they added one new guy).

dLMN8R

Yes, it was on the first page of this thread that people corrected me :) I've asked mods to change the thread title a couple times but no response.

Still though, it doesn't seem like Starbound is lacking at all in technical prowess!

Retro

For what it's worth;

Some pretty worlds I found this morning whilst testing Rain:
pretty1.png

pretty2.jpg

pretty3.png

pretty4.jpg

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
For those interested:

(Tiy posted this over at the Starbound forums)
Hi guys

For a while now we've been receiving emails, tweets, forum messages etc from people asking us how they can support Starbound. A lot of people have been asking for a paypal address or some other means of donating.

I've always said that I wouldn't like to take monetary donations towards the release of a commercial product. Frankly I think if you're going to send us your money you deserve to get something in return.

So, another dev team (one I won't name just yet, but they're wonderful people with a wonderful game) who happen to be Starbound fans have offered to put their game forwards as a means of supporting the development of Starbound.

Much like an indie bundle, if you were to buy the game a % of the profits would go to the developers and a % of profits would go to us, and in turn directly support the development of Starbound.

As always, we massively value your feedback, thoughts and feelings. So I've put together a little poll.

Does this sound like a good way to support us?

Let me know :)
Take care!

P.S.

Kyren thought it'd be amusing to make it rain fish.
1zRXW.png

FISH.
ITS RAINING
FISH.
THIS PLEASES ME.

EDIT: Also, Solatrus and Radiation from Homestuck are going to be producing music for the game.

Retro

Via Twitter:

Tiy said:
People keep asking me how robust the stairs are in Starbound, here you go:
PnAK2.png

Urge to build rising... here's hoping we get stuff like elevators too.

Loving how all of the materials blend together (the wood appears to be build behind the blue soil), that was a late addition to Terraria. Also, I guess this means we'll have wood objects to build with, meaning we can probably continue to build non-futuristic structures like castles.

Taffer

Urge to build rising... here's hoping we get stuff like elevators too.

Your broken elevator in Terraria was a thing of genius.
I've been playing Minecraft lately and I want more machines to plug all this Redstone into, I spent hours in Terraria messing about with wires, pumps & other gadgets and it spoiled me. That would be a lovely bonus in Starbound - gadgets, machines, powered geegaws and gubbins generally.

Retro

Your broken elevator in Terraria was a thing of genius.

Yeah, I just wanted some nice tall towers but didn't want endless stairs because they're a pain in the ass to climb down through. Was tinkering with ladders and I realized it kind of looked like tracks, so... yeah.

I might have to play some Terraria soon, I miss building stuff.

I've been playing Minecraft lately and I want more machines to plug all this Redstone into, I spent hours in Terraria messing about with wires, pumps & other gadgets and it spoiled me. That would be a lovely bonus in Starbound - gadgets, machines, powered geegaws and gubbins generally.

Given the futuristic setting and all of the awesomeness they're putting into this game, I wouldn't be surprised if it launches with mechanical stuff or they add it in very shortly after. They know there's a huge sector of the fanbase that wants to build stuff like this, and unlike Terraria it seems like their programmers are really up to snuff (Reddit is cool, but he himself admits he was in over his head).

Retro

Starbound apparently supports multiple monitors... nothing amazing, but it gives us two new screenshots.

Probably best to open them in a new window since they're huge, so just click 'em to see them in a new tab/window.

That second one... LOVING that lava background and the charred trees.

dLMN8R

Multimonitor support would seem hindered by the interface being centered on the screen. I wish more games would do multimonitor support in more of the way Supreme Commander did - option to put info/HUD/interface on the second monitor leaving the primary monitor clean.

Taffer

Starbound apparently supports multiple monitors... nothing amazing, but it gives us two new screenshots.

Probably best to open them in a new window since they're huge, so just click 'em to see them in a new tab/window.

That second one... LOVING that lava background and the charred trees.

I see L & R on the HUD, if it supports controllers somehow I'm playing this on my TV. Also 1337 money.

Probably mouse buttons though.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
I see L & R on the HUD, if it supports controllers somehow I'm playing this on my TV. Also 1337 money.

Probably mouse buttons though.

It was confirmed before, but the L/R on the HUD represent Left/Right hands, which are mapped to the mouse buttons.

vareon

Loved it. I'd usually want to play the game as soon as possible, but seeing the blog posts I just wanted for Chucklefish to take time as much as they can to finish the game. It looks good already.

Top Bottom