• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbound announced - new game from Terraria artist + new studio

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
I'm surprised that this hasn't jumped on the Kickstarter bandwagon yet.

Not really a Kickstarter, but they are thinking abotu something. Check this post, earlier in the thread, for the info.

In somewhat geeky news that makes me squeal like a little girl, earlier today, Tiy was having a tweet convo w/ the Dungeons of Dredmore guys, about getting the diggles in Starbound. Its not officially confirmed, but they seem to be working out a deal.

Voidguts

In somewhat geeky news that makes me squeal like a little girl, earlier today, Tiy was having a tweet convo w/ the Dungeons of Dredmore guys, about getting the diggles in Starbound. Its not officially confirmed, but they seem to be working out a deal.

they are adding creepers (from minecraft, with permission) too. crazy stuff.

Really looking forward to this; it looks simply amazing, kind of like the games we dreamed up as kids, where you could explore an entire galaxy of worlds and aliens; you know, the game that was so many times promised to us but never delivered. I think this may come closest to that than any game before it.

Although I bought Terraria a while back, I never actually played a lot of it; I never got the time to sink myself into what was pretty obviously something that would eat hours with gusto. Now that Starbound is announced, I'll simply consider it my part of funding it.

Also, pleasantly surprised to see Retro and RepairmanJack around here. I'm not stalking you guys, really; I had this thread bookmarked almost since its announcement, way before I was approved. Honest! :D

Retro

Also, pleasantly surprised to see Retro and RepairmanJack around here. I'm not stalking you guys, really; I had this thread bookmarked almost since its announcement, way before I was approved. Honest! :D

Jira is in here too, plus a few others. Terraria and GW2 must have some overlap in the "I'm sick of everything being the same old crap" market.

Also glad this was bumped. I heard about this project a while back but I never knew just how far it was coming along. Some of the new content looks really impressive.

El Sloth

Banned
That's an interesting way to support them. Neat.

Has anyone here played Wanderlust: Rebirth? I'd like to hear impressions on the game.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
That's an interesting way to support them. Neat.

Has anyone here played Wanderlust: Rebirth? I'd like to hear impressions on the game.

I'll get it when it hits Steam, so if you're willing to wait another week and a half, I'll post some impressions. :p

Thanks for this guys, had no idea this game even existed. Definitely bought, honestly the thing that stood out to me the most was the music, can't wait to do some exploring with that chillness pouring out of my headphones.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Tiy tweeted more pics.

VQkQ5.png

4cUJz.png

Retro

Insane. I seem to recall reading that we'd be able to craft weapons too. So in theory, we should be able to take those guns apart and put the parts we like with parts from others and tweak them infinitely.

Sounds good to me.

I bump the thread again, for reasons you all should already know by now.

http://playstarbound.com/procedurally-generated-guns-pewpew/

Starbound has now essentially become Terraria + Borderlands. :p

(Yes, we did sorta have random stats on stuff in Terraria, but the way its done here in Starbound is probably a lot more in line with how Borderlands does it)

Damn! This sounds awesome to me. That's one thing I kind of got bored of in Terraria, once you had the weapons there wasn't much else to go after. With new weapons, rarity, and stats, I could look for a damn long time and still come across an upgrade.

Insane. I seem to recall reading that we'd be able to craft weapons too. So in theory, we should be able to take those guns apart and put the parts we like with parts from others and tweak them infinitely.

Sounds good to me.

If this is possible it would be great, I'm trying to not get my hopes up though. I can see it coming around that there will be certain mats for different types and rarity's but the rest will be random.

dot

I bump the thread again, for reasons you all should already know by now.

http://playstarbound.com/procedurally-generated-guns-pewpew/

Starbound has now essentially become Terraria + Borderlands. :p

(Yes, we did sorta have random stats on stuff in Terraria, but the way its done here in Starbound is probably a lot more in line with how Borderlands does it)

Wow. Me and my go-to co op friend played Terraria and Borderlands for many hours so this is gonna be amazing. *_*

And someone needs to change the thread title already. It's not from Terraria developers, it's from their former sprite artist guy, Tiy. It's really bothering me. lol

Ghizz

"Weapons also have a rarity value, ranging from common to super rare. A weapon’s rarity value gives it access to various pools of weapon mods. Weapon mods completely change the functions of the weapon. Examples of weapon mods might be explosive shots, bouncing bullets, branching shots and so on."

Daaaamn that loot system!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
The more I see about this game, the better it gets. I'm really excited at the direction they are taking this. If it's half as good as they are making it out to be, it will be a day one purchase. So sold.

Blizzard

Banned
So the only person in common with Terraria is the sprite artist, but they're using the same sidescrolling system? It looks almost like the same engine, so I guess I was thinking more than just the artist was involved.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
After finally getting into Terraria and realizing it's much more of a game than Minecraft is I am definitely looking forward to more of their work.
So the only person in common with Terraria is the sprite artist, but they're using the same sidescrolling system? It looks almost like the same engine, so I guess I was thinking more than just the artist was involved.
Oh well, if that's true then I dunno. Still looks fun though!

Protein

Banned
Oh my Jesus. I've dreamed of this game ever since I saw the 2D planet surface of Super Metroid in the intro. I'm hoping there's a crapload to do on the surface just as much as underground

charsace

They say that its made with c++. Terraria was C#. And I'm guessing this is Opengl since most indy devs use opengl for easy porting over DX.

This game is basically Exile on steroids.

dot

We don't even know the final features of the game, lol. This is getting crazier.

I know right? Precedurely generated guns, dungeons...what's next?

And thank you for finally changing the title to something more appropriate! lol

I love seeing the new info bumps but always get a lil disappointed when it doesnt say release day set or beta sutting or another.

Really looking forward to playing the shit outta this

Top Bottom