• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT4| Everyone Else Would Beat Catspajamas

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
What's up with Dragons bindings lately?

2hUHE.png

One control group?

Zzoram

Be glad he uses even that. Many pros don't even hotkey units.

TLO used to use 1 hotkey for hatcheries and that was it.

It's really stupid. Good hotkey use makes you a better player, but people develop bad habits they can't break.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I hope he wins OSL 2012 since it's probably the last one ever, and that all of Broodwar switches to SC2 soon afterwards.

It's clear Broodwar isn't viable financially anymore. Team 8 has no sponsors and OSL won't either, which is why it's been so delayed and why they're only doing one this year. They can't possibly keep this up.

I want to see what God can do with SC2.
It might need to shrink, but isn't more viable than SC II?

Zzoram

It might need to shrink, but isn't more viable than SC II?

In Korea at the moment it is yes. But the fans are fans of the players moreso than the game. If they switch, the fans should follow. Getting international viewers to add to the Korean ones would make it more viable than Broodwar, which has essentially a non-existent international presence.

OGN almost certainly plans to make the switch when HotS comes out.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

... what? I've never seen any of the pros not use hotkeys for units.

Yoshichan

Maybe they all do now. TLO didn't in 2010.
Really odd. Well, whatever works for them, they're the pros.

(I tend to over-bind stuff, like - I bind way too much, to the point where I don't even know wtf I'm doing. Example: I bind the first two supply depots I make to 8 and 9, which I use almost all the time early-mid game).

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
In Korea at the moment it is yes. But the fans are fans of the players moreso than the game. If they switch, the fans should follow. Getting international viewers to add to the Korean ones would make it more viable than Broodwar, which has essentially a non-existent international presence.

OGN almost certainly plans to make the switch when HotS comes out.
Ok, I can support those ideas.

I still want BW to live on though. It's so much more entertaining to watch and dynamic.

Yoshichan

That layout kinda makes sense, I like it. I had no idea you were toss, geez. That just changes my mentality immediately ._.

Zzoram

Ok, I can support those ideas.

I still want BW to live on though. It's so much more entertaining to watch and dynamic.

I just hope that HotS and LotV make SC2 into as good a game as Broodwar.

Regardless, I'd rather have SC2 esports alive than both BW and SC2 dead from splitting viewers.

Zzoram

Teamliquid Page

MLG Winter Championship in Columbus
- Final Day

Mississauga, TheNix's via Go Bus, 2pm-10:30pm, March 25th, HOUSECRAFT:

Going:
TheNiX
Picon_small.png

Zzoram
Picon_small.png

Pandaman
Zicon_small.png

90% Going:
scogoth
Picon_small.png

Spl1nter
Ticon_small.png

50% Going:
mcrae
Zicon_small.png

Not Going:
hoverX
Picon_small.png

I post this every few pages, how could you not know our races by now? I want to start using 6 for Forges but it's hard to remember.

Yoshichan

It's better to start using 6 for forges asap, no need to delay it. You'll be surprised how fast you'll adapt to it - trust me I know :3

cdyhybrid

That explains your losses entirely. You're going roach without upgrades against what is likely 2-2 or 3-3 Protoss. Also, you have no armor upgrades?! That's what you're supposed to prioritize against Protoss. Make 1 less Infestor and get +1 armor.

Well the idea was to only make Roaches to stay alive until Infestors come out and I can throw down a bunch of Spines and get Broods. Melee upgrades would still apply to the Lings and I'd already be close to level 3 upgrades for Broodlings.

Zzoram

Well the idea was to only make Roaches to stay alive until Infestors come out and I can throw down a bunch of Spines and get Broods. Melee upgrades would still apply to the Lings and I'd already be close to level 3 upgrades for Broodlings.

That's a bad idea. If the majority of your midgame supply is in Roaches, they need upgrades. Those lings die instantly without armor upgrades so there is no point in giving them just melee upgrades.

+0 zealots kill zerglings in 3 hits, +1 zealots kill zerglings in 2 hits. Ground armor brings it back to 3 hits. That's a ton of extra hits you could absorb, giving you more time to deal damage.

Snowman

It's really stupid. Good hotkey use makes you a better player, but people develop bad habits they can't break.

Yeahhh, I don't use control groups at all really, 4 for my main nexus but that's it.. I tried getting used to them once but it's just so frustrating cause I know I can play much faster without them and it feels like it would take ages to learn to play that way so I just gave up in the end :/

Yoshichan

Yeahhh, I don't use control groups at all really, 4 for my main nexus but that's it.. I tried getting used to them once but it's just so frustrating cause I know I can play much faster without them and it feels like it would take ages to learn to play that way so I just gave up in the end :/
Just start binding the stuff and you'll eventually learn. When I played WC2, it took me like 2 weeks to start getting used to it - but I learned by just binding the stuff. Eventually I'd press the buttons out of reaction.

Zzoram

Training yourself to a more efficient hotkey setup has a rough transition period where you play worse and get frustrated, but it's worth the payoff. It's just so hard to do.

Snowman

Just start binding the stuff and you'll eventually learn. When I played WC2, it took me like 2 weeks to start getting used to it - but I learned by just binding the stuff. Eventually I'd press the buttons out of reaction.

I've tried yoshi :(

It just gets to the point where I'm starting to warp in units and I just can't keep up so I completely abandon it aha, I know I need to make myself do it at some point if I want to get better though, might have another go at it soon..

Zzoram

It just gets to the point where I'm starting to warp in units and I just can't keep up so I completely abandon it aha, I know I need to make myself do it at some point if I want to get better though, might have another go at it soon..

go to pylon, press W, hold S and click a lot, drag box over the new units and press shift+1

you just added reinforcements to your hotkey

Yoshichan

I believe in you ♥ !

Snowman

that whole process is usually 2 or 3 seconds depending on how many units you make, and prevents you from having random clumps of units idling during battles

Honestly I'm so used to it at this point, I barely ever have idle units like that, the one thing I'd really benefit from is the reaction time though. It's so much faster just to hit 11 than it is to find my units on the map and then select them all manually :/ Even though I am pretty fast at it at this point, I still lose too many units sometimes when someone attacks me when I'm not expecting it :(

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So I finished up the Lone Star Tourney.
Stephano confirmed for Top Zerg. Who called it? I called it. Feels good.
So I decided to try and cast a Starcraft game for fun: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR5KTpCuLX4 - Idra vs WhiteRa :)

Everyone should watch it so you can tell me how bad I am and how bad my mic quality is xD
I tabbed through some of it.

Please get a better mic.
Just keep talking
Try to sound more confident, or at least excited/surprised at stuff to cover up being wrong
Flow really is the key thing as a caster
You can be wrong about a lot of things and still be engaged and pinging around the map watching important stuff happen
Obsing and casting is hard. Trying to keep a train of thought as you watch the minimap and production tab and making sure the camera is on something interesting is not easy.

Yoshichan

Protoss is the only race that has to look back at their base to make units. Terran and Zerg can make units while microing/watching a battle.
Protoss warps in units in "waves" so it doesn't really matter anyway. Terran needs to be producing stuff out of rax basically every 5 seconds so heavy micro while macroing is impossible.

cdyhybrid

Struggle of Zerg

Not throwing your monitor out the window.

That's a bad idea. If the majority of your midgame supply is in Roaches, they need upgrades. Those lings die instantly without armor upgrades so there is no point in giving them just melee upgrades.

+0 zealots kill zerglings in 3 hits, +1 zealots kill zerglings in 2 hits. Ground armor brings it back to 3 hits. That's a ton of extra hits you could absorb, giving you more time to deal damage.

Well the reason I was doing it was that Stephano does it. I guess I could try a Ret-style Roach/Hydra push at ~12:00 and then tech straight to Broods while starting melee upgrades.

Snowman

Protoss warps in units in "waves" so it doesn't really matter anyway. Terran needs to be producing stuff out of rax basically every 5 seconds so heavy micro while macroing is impossible.

To be fair I'd definitely say Terran are the hardest race to play, Zerg need to stop moaning though :p

Yoshichan

I love getting disconnected in the middle of a game.

Thanks for the maintenance Blizzard, keep doing what you do!

MrKnives

Glad the "my race is the hardest, your race sucks" thing is still going on strong. Can't wait for MLG. Maybe I can actually watch it this time.

Yoshichan

Glad the "my race is the hardest, your race sucks" thing is still going on strong.
That's not what we're saying at all ._.

Snowman

Glad the "my race is the hardest, your race sucks" thing is still going on strong. Can't wait for MLG. Maybe I can actually watch it this time.

Naw, I play protoss mostly and have a second zerg account in plat that i play on every now and again, and i still definitely think terran is the hardest mechanically :p

Yoshichan

Glad to see Grubbys :eek: face was no different back then! (1:27)

Tr36g.gif

MrKnives

That's not what we're saying at all ._.

playing protoss: the struggle of binding your whole army to one control group.

Terran is definitely the hardest race to play from a mechanical standpoint.

Struggle of Zerg
deciding what units to make 30 of at once because larvae give you too many options

Sure looks like it from where I'm reading it. Not that it's a bad thing really. Glad people still care about things like that.

Everyone has already seen the CombatEX quitting video?

Now shows as unavailable though.

Snowman

Sure looks like it from where I'm reading it. Not that it's a bad thing really. Glad people still care about things like that.

Everyone has already seen the CombatEX quitting video?

Now shows as unavailable though.

but but but but, you were saying we were saying "*my* race is the hardest.. you just quoted me and terran is anything but my race xD

Top Bottom