• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT5| Killing #ESPORTS

I bought WoL the last time they had a $20 sale. I played the campaign and I mostly play the custom games like Nexus Wars.

A few days ago I finally started playing the actual multiplayer and holy shit it is so hard. Multitasking macro, building units, economy, sending out units, scouting, microing during battles, etc. My APM is only about 45 and I have no idea how to even begin to get the grasp of this game. Watching replays of the GMs play is ridiculous. Those guys with APM of 300 are insane.

I bought WoL the last time they had a $20 sale. I played the campaign and I mostly play the custom games like Nexus Wars.

A few days ago I finally started playing the actual multiplayer and holy shit it is so hard. Multitasking macro, building units, economy, sending out units, scouting, microing during battles, etc. My APM is only about 45 and I have no idea how to even begin to get the grasp of this game. Watching replays of the GMs play is ridiculous. Those guys with APM of 300 are insane.

Best thing to do is to just keep a rhythm.

Focus on doing one base builds till you get the hang of being on one base. Baby steps bro, baby steps.

Eh canceled my pre order for now.

The new UI that did away with convenient to create vs A.I. custom games was a deal breaker. With WoL I played the campaign then laddered for a few months..... but eventually I just settled down into playing vs A.I. because I could choose the map/matchup/use cheats (for lulz..... I loved using the insta build and infinite resources codes).

I essentially did the same with Brood War.

Flop move Blizz.... removing something that has been in your RTS's forever. I don't have the patience to figure out how to do it through the custom games menu.

Eh canceled my pre order for now.

The new UI that did away with convenient to create vs A.I. custom games was a deal breaker. With WoL I played the campaign then laddered for a few months..... but eventually I just settled down into playing vs A.I. because I could choose the map/matchup/use cheats (for lulz..... I loved using the insta build and infinite resources codes).

I essentially did the same with Brood War.

Flop move Blizz.... removing something that has been in your RTS's forever. I don't have the patience to figure out how to do it through the custom games menu.

Eh? It's one of the first options on the UI

Eh? It's one of the first options on the UI

Matchmaking version of VS A.I. is not the same as being able to choose your race, your opponents race, how MANY opponents (1vs2 1vs4 etc), providing handicaps, etc. You also cannot use codes in those modes.

Not the same by ANY measure.

They turned vs A.I. into a ladder rip off..... complete with placement matches of all things.

Slayerx

Go to custom games -> browse -> create a game. Or are you talking about something different?

U37PoRo.jpg

Matchmaking version of VS A.I. is not the same as being able to choose your race, your opponents race, how MANY opponents (1vs2 1vs4 etc), providing handicaps, etc. You also cannot use codes in those modes.

Not the same by ANY measure.

They turned vs A.I. into a ladder rip off..... complete with placement matches of all things.

click custom games from the main menu
click 1v1/team game map you want and hit "create game"
click add ai button
you have all the same settings and more

wat

EDIT: slayerx beat me to it lol

Thanks for the explanation. I will try it.

I looked in custom games before but couldn't figure it out.

I don't see how that's Blizzard's problem. Only took me like 5 minutes to figure it out...

Actually. It has been done the same way in blizzard RTS games for.....ever. If they change it without any system put into place to educate players on how to access it in in a new location/format that is buried in submenues that previously were not associated with one another IS blizzards problem.

fanboi

Banned
Thanks for the explanation. I will try it.

I looked in custom games before but couldn't figure it out.

Actually. It has been done the same way in blizzard RTS games for.....ever. If they change it without any system put into place to educate players on how to access it in in a new location/format that is buried in submenues that previously were not associated with one another IS blizzards problem.

Wait, you want à tutorial how to create custom games?

Was there à tutorial in the other Blizz RTS?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Ugh, 4th mission in and I'm done. Watching somebody do that badly in the campaign with such high apm is infuriating lol.

smr00

Banned
So with the new AI did they actually implement any hard AI that is actually smart? Because them mining 100x the minerals per haul isn't hard to me, it's just cheating.

ZealousD

So with the new AI did they actually implement any hard AI that is actually smart? Because them mining 100x the minerals per haul isn't hard to me, it's just cheating.

Elite difficulty is new and is harder than Very Hard and doesn't cheat. It's not really any "smarter" though, it still behaves like all the other AIs. Just builds more stuff and builds them a little faster.

6.5K viewers at the moment (probably because no one can stream HOTS but whatever). Wish artosis would stream more often.

Ugh, 4th mission in and I'm done. Watching somebody do that badly in the campaign with such high apm is infuriating lol.

That's half the fun though. I'm waiting for him to get up to the train mission because it's going to wreck him.

Elite difficulty is new and is harder than Very Hard and doesn't cheat. It's not really any "smarter" though, it still behaves like all the other AIs. Just builds more stuff and builds them a little faster.

I'll believe this when i see it, i'd be surprised if it doesn't cheat in some fashion (and if it doesn't it will be way too easy). They need to hire the guy who made the custom AI for BW that would actually micro like a real player. That was some of the most fun i've had playing the game.

Aaron

InControl said on State of the Game that he gave up on the lava level. Sounds about right.
I did the same thing a year ago. I just reinstalled the game though, and skipped the hell out of that mission. So now I've got a floating tank thing I've never heard of before.

I did the same thing a year ago. I just reinstalled the game though, and skipped the hell out of that mission. So now I've got a floating tank thing I've never heard of before.

The lava level is easy, just get a decent group of reapers and you can just win no problem.

ZealousD

InControl said on State of the Game that he gave up on the lava level. Sounds about right.

I can only assume they're just trying too hard. Too used to playing multiplayer and can't keep their head down, deliberately slow down, and just figure out how the pace of the single player works. You don't even have to be diamond level to be able to beat the game on Brutal. You don't need triple digit APM.

Paches

I can only assume they're just trying too hard. Too used to playing multiplayer and can't keep their head down, deliberately slow down, and just figure out how the pace of the single player works. You don't even have to be diamond level to be able to beat the game on Brutal. You don't need triple digit APM.

Exactly. Like Artosis taking the north base on the Daybreak mission. I was laughing.

Aaron

The lava level is easy, just get a decent group of reapers and you can just win no problem.
There was something about that mission where I kept playing stupid, and ended up losing all my reapers. Even on normal I just sucked at it. Probably could do it now as I haven't tried it for a year, but the other missions are more fun.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
hai

The WoL season should be getting locked tomorrow (4th). Do we know if WoL will have its own seasons or are they gonna be locked permanently?

fanboi

Banned
hai

The WoL season should be getting locked tomorrow (4th). Do we know if WoL will have its own seasons or are they gonna be locked permanently?

Well you can in option choose which game you want to do games in (atleast in HOTS beta).

I assume a WoL league aswell?

Deadman

Didnt he already leave/retire? Or stop playing on the pro level atleast?

After he got suspended he took a break for a while, but ive seen him recently streaming some sc2.

But really there is basically no difference between retired and not retired for him

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
How About Some Yoshi since he isnt banned anymore.

░░░░░░█▒▒█▒▒█░░░░░░░
░░░░░█▒░░░░▒▒█░░░░░░
░░░░░█░█░█░░▒████░░░
░░░░░█░█░█░░░█▓▓▓█░░
░░░███░░░░░░░██▓▓█░░
░░█▒▒▒█░█░░░█▒▒███░░
░█▒▒▒▒▒█▒███▒▒▒▒█▓█░
░██▒█▒▒▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒█▓▓█
█▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░▒▒█▓▓█
█▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░▒▒███░
█▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█░░░░▒▒██░░
█▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒██░░▒▒█▓█░
░█▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█░░▒▒███░░░
░░██▒▒▒▒█░░░▒▒█▓█░░░
░░░░██████░░▒▒▒████░

AKA some more title suggestions yo! Thread goes up on Tuesday for HotS

RPGCrazied

Anyone else play the StarCraft games for the story? I'm the worst RTS player, but play the StarCraft games cause I like the universe. I'm going to play Heart of the Swarm and I'm sure I'll struggle. A couple missions in WoL I had to use the cheat god mode in order to pass it.

Anyone else play the StarCraft games for the story? I'm the worst RTS player, but play the StarCraft games cause I like the universe. I'm going to play Heart of the Swarm and I'm sure I'll struggle. A couple missions in WoL I had to use the cheat god mode in order to pass it.

I'm currently finishing up all the single player achievements, its a fun game.

Top Bottom