• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II World Championship Series 2014 – America, Europe & Korea Season 1

Godamn that game

Both players fumbling the ball

I was laughing at how DRG was saying take this game Sora, here are my units.

Well lets see if either one of the Terrans can beat Sora after one of them win and we can get our 4th Terran or this is the end of Terran unless Ryung and/or Dream pass tomorrow.

BTW less than 7 Terrans in Code S this season, probably less than 5 possibly depending on the results of tomorrow and today LOL.

Can't believe he actually engaged like that on the bridge. He played so well up to that point.

Actually if the storms didn't do so much damage and he didn't lose so much of his army the engage could have gone better for Hack with the colossus unable to shoot due to the bridge only allowing one of them at a time. Too bad anyways. Sora looks to win this last game with Blink.

Hack pushed too far in with that first attack. Got greedy attacking the nexus and lost any advantage he had. Looks like this is going into the late game but upgrades are too far gone for hack to compete.

Actually if the storms didn't do so much damage and he didn't lose so much of his army the engage could have gone better for Hack with the colossus unable to shoot due to the bridge only allowing one of them at a time. Too bad anyways. Sora looks to win this last game with Blink.

It was ok to be there but once those 5 collosus started shooting him in that choke point it was time to go but he just sat there and got destroyed.

Hack pushed too far in with that first attack. Got greedy attacking the nexus and lost any advantage he had. Looks like this is going into the late game but upgrades are too far gone for hack to compete.

It was ok to be there but once those 5 collosus started shooting him in that choke point it was time to go but he just sat there and got destroyed.

lol New meta and strat for protoss. Make blink and then 2 forges. Get upgrades and 4 immortals. Go win game. That is literally what Sora did in that game 2.

lol New meta and strat for protoss. Make blink and then 2 forges. Get upgrades and 4 immortals. Go win game. That is literally what Sora did in that game 2.

That shouldn't really work and even in that game it shouldn't have worked. Protoss is very strong right now but i'm Hack made some big mistakes in that game that cost him. It's pretty easy to fall into a near un-recoverable position early on in TvP which i guess is the problem.

ROFLMAO Looking at the current brackets for NA, EU and KR for Challenger/Code A and then Premier/Code S.

So far in Code S

KR: 3 Terrans 15 Protoss 9 Zergs
NA: 6 Terrans 11 Protoss 3 Zergs
EU: 3 Terrans 7 Protoss 6 Zergs

So Na actually has the most Terrans as hilarious as that is to believe.

Looking at Challenger for all regions.....

Tomorrow finishes off Code A in KR

2 more Terrans max for 5. 1 Protoss for 16 toss. Or we can get 4 more zergs with one for sure due to 3 Zergs + 1 toss in last group. 5 or less Terrans. 16 or 15 Protoss. About 13 to 9 Zergs. 50% or 45% Protoss and 40% Zerg with about 10 percent for Terrans lol.

7 Terrans can advance in EU. 2 Protoss auto pass due to PvP but 8 more can pass on top of that. 11 zergs can pass as well.

In NA there will be one Terran passing due to TvT, 5 more can pass on top of that. About 3 more Protoss can pass. 3 ZvZ makes 3 zergs and another 6 can pass.

So Terrans will be most represented in NA excluding EU Terrans all winning.

Expect more Protoss to pass in this time and for Terrans to have a lower rep unless its NA.

Draft

Starcraft 2 is designed and balanced like a game from the CD era and it's really starting to show. Blizzard moves at a glacial pace compared to their peers in the RTS/MOBA space. The design of SC2 has a dozen holes. There are useless units, and units that are functional but boring as shit (the latter being worse, IMO.) Balance is w/e, races move into and out of dominant positions as the meta involves. The real problem is that HotS is now seeing the same rote builds that dominated the end of WoL. No one wants to watch the same half a dozen games over and over and over again.

No silver bullet fixes this problem, but a good first step might be design patches more frequent than once an expansion. But that's 21st century thinking, and Blizzard is still back in the days when software came in boxes and patches came via 56k.

Aaron

They do minor patches between expansions, but they're terribly slow at rolling them out, especially lately. They can't make changes too quick without upsetting the pros, but they really need to do better than the current situation. It's killing the GSL.

Draft

They do minor patches between expansions, but they're terribly slow at rolling them out, especially lately. They can't make changes too quick without upsetting the pros, but they really need to do better than the current situation. It's killing the GSL.
I think that upsetting the pros bit is conventional wisdom. Pros don't want their race nerfed or another race buffed, especially before going into a tournament. But what pros should want more is eyeballs on the screen. Bigger purses at tournaments, more subs to streamers and casters, more sponserships, just more money for everyone.

SC2 is stagnating compared to the MOBAs it competes with because Blizzard is so worked up over balance that it takes them 3 months to buff Oracle acceleration or reduce bunker build time by 5s. It's like they're paralyzed by fear of fucking up the precious balance which is a shame because balance is not all that important. SC BW was never really balanced. Terran was dominant. It didn't matter because the design was great, the races were all interesting, and that allowed lots of varied, exciting match ups.

Aaron

Well, if you want to go that far, watching Starbow has me thinking that Blizzard completely screwed the whole protoss race. Seeing things like reavers back in the game made me appreciate how that race was in Broodwar, but in SC2 they feel like all flash and no substance. All they really had was the vortex, and then the new expansion took that away.

Syf

Banned
The disparity really is plain to see right now. If you exclude the players who qualified for their spots automatically through their success last year, the racial distribution of pro players coming up through challenger league & code A across all three WCS regions is 26 Protoss, 16 Zerg and just 7 Terran (so far). And I just checked.. out of the 16 TvP matches in code A so far, just one has gone in favor of the Terran. That's a ~93% match win rate, and ~80% if you go by game (31-8 PvT). DK said, quote, "fortunately we have the WCS qualifiers getting underway to look at." Well, there's your numbers David. Time to acknowledge that there is a problem.

Won

I think that upsetting the pros bit is conventional wisdom. Pros don't want their race nerfed or another race buffed, especially before going into a tournament. But what pros should want more is eyeballs on the screen. Bigger purses at tournaments, more subs to streamers and casters, more sponserships, just more money for everyone.

SC2 is stagnating compared to the MOBAs it competes with because Blizzard is so worked up over balance that it takes them 3 months to buff Oracle acceleration or reduce bunker build time by 5s. It's like they're paralyzed by fear of fucking up the precious balance which is a shame because balance is not all that important. SC BW was never really balanced. Terran was dominant. It didn't matter because the design was great, the races were all interesting, and that allowed lots of varied, exciting match ups.

I still think there are some key people in management who enforce some weird notion of "Blizzard polish" that completely cripples the company. It's a theme across all their games and it is just sad at this point. :/

Draft

I still think there are some key people in management who enforce some weird notion of "Blizzard polish" that completely cripples the company. It's a theme across all their games and it is just sad at this point. :/
Could be.

SC2 has a public test server. It should be an absolute mad house. Units should be hacked to pieces, removed entirely, or given whole new roles. Things like the Starbow resource mechanics or unit pathing mechanics should be tested. The test realm should be a crucible in which ideas go to be beaten and bruised. Most will die, but the ones that survie will come out strong and ready to inject vitality into the game.

Instead, it's roach speed while burrowed increased from 2.66 to 3.33. We're going to let that one stew for a month and see how it affects the PvZ match up.

peakish

Could be.

SC2 has a public test server. It should be an absolute mad house. Units should be hacked to pieces, removed entirely, or given whole new roles. Things like the Starbow resource mechanics or unit pathing mechanics should be tested. The test realm should be a crucible in which ideas go to be beaten and bruised. Most will die, but the ones that survie will come out strong and ready to inject vitality into the game.

Instead, it's roach speed while burrowed increased from 2.66 to 3.33. We're going to let that one stew for a month and see how it affects the PvZ match up.
Yeah, I've been thinking that constantly having absolutely crazy changes being tested in a separate PTR would do a lot for the community at this point. There'd always be something cool to think about or try out and changes that work fine slowly get rolled into the main game which gives pro's a lot of time to prepare for and test these changes themselves. Community participation and good will would probably skyrocket as well.

SamuraiX-

Dream has amazing TvZ and Ryung is solid while TRUE is just meh and Hydra has been throwing games hard in Proleague... so in the end we SHOULD have 5 Terrans in Code S this season.

But yeah, what a fucking joke. Choke on all of the dicks, Daivd Kim.

kasane

At this point its just band aid fixes by blizz. Also i feel like ' toss all ins' arent really all ins since they can come back from them

GSL last group's finish today. Second to last group is going on right now but its ZvZ fest with one protoss.

The real match is with the last 2 Terrans and 2 Zergs later on tonight.

SamuraiX-

Seed changed his name to Vengeance?? So damn lame, man...

Dark just savaged Savage. Why don't they play him at all in the proleague?

Dark has been absolutely tearing it up in online qualifiers and cups lately. The guy is legit... but on SKT1?

Rain, PartinG, Soulkey, soO, Classic... hard to play him ahead of those guys but the fact that BrAvO got playing time already over Dark is pretty upsetting.

Seed changed his name to Vengeance?? So damn lame, man...

Dark has been absolutely tearing it up in online qualifiers and cups lately. The guy is legit... but on SKT1?

Rain, PartinG, Soulkey, soO, Classic... hard to play him ahead of those guys but the fact that BrAvO got playing time already over Dark is pretty upsetting.

Gotta have a token Terran.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Starcraft 2 is designed and balanced like a game from the CD era and it's really starting to show. Blizzard moves at a glacial pace compared to their peers in the RTS/MOBA space. The design of SC2 has a dozen holes. There are useless units, and units that are functional but boring as shit (the latter being worse, IMO.) Balance is w/e, races move into and out of dominant positions as the meta involves. The real problem is that HotS is now seeing the same rote builds that dominated the end of WoL. No one wants to watch the same half a dozen games over and over and over again.

No silver bullet fixes this problem, but a good first step might be design patches more frequent than once an expansion. But that's 21st century thinking, and Blizzard is still back in the days when software came in boxes and patches came via 56k.

it really bums me out when i think of everything that company of heroes brought to RTS that the only competitive title we have in the genre is one which is woefully simplistic in comparison.

i've always been underwhelmed with the depth of micro in SC2 and the linearity of the tactics available to each player. it's made even worse by the fact that the saviour which people are championing regresses the formula even further towards a game made in 2001.

when i think of cover systems, suppression's ability to lock down territory with small numbers, utilising buildings, utilising artillery to wreck the shit of people who utilise buildings, greyhounds circle strafing assault guns, the whole command point system and the three distinct command paths, i can't help but feel like there's a colossal opportunity being fumbled (most recently by relic themselves).

my dream game is something which merges these progressive mechanics with something as polished and responsive as a blizzard title, with a big esports scene to go with it, but people live in the past when it comes to RTS and to many, SC2 and its mix of conservative and broken systems is a justification for that.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Emailed GOM to try and find out dates for the rest of Code S. nothing locked in stone yet :( wont be until the round of 32 is under way.

SamuraiX-

Well Dark just fell to Pet. Startale players seem to be on a role! lol.

PXtaDmU.png

But no, seriously, Pet in Code S?! Is the sky falling? I remember this guy constantly getting REKT in the GSTL.

SamuraiX-

Seed played odd and bad, and Pet was good in zvz. He'll probably get destroyed in Code S.

Yeah, more than likely.

But I have to give props to Sora. From a complete unknown to Code S in less than a year. Granted he's Protoss, but that's still damn impressive. Mad respect to him for following his dream and sticking to it.

SamuraiX-

Seed's blink micro is literally the stuff of legends.

He should've died like 10 times already in this game.

Fucking insane, man.

Aaron

My jaw dropped at that blink micro, and stayed dropped when he pulled a probe rush. Insane come from behind victory. If Seed played like that all night, he'd be out already.

I just realized with jjakji moving to EU, a spot in Code S is open.

Anyways GO Seed! Insane micro, shitty macro though and bad decision making but he thankfully won the game.

SamuraiX-

How in the loving fuck is Seed holding his natural on Daedalus with only THREE Sentries??

gotdayum this guy...

lol @ Khaldor and Wolf absolutely losing their shit

SamuraiX-

Poor Seed. I remember watching his stream weeks/months back and his FPV is actually insane. He doesn't spam but every click/command he makes has a purpose.

The only Protoss for whom I'm sad is dropping back into Code B.

Fun note: only 6 Protoss out of 17 in Code A have dropped back into Code B.

Well he's spot on. It's a shit map and it's not even really interesting so nothing really justifies it's inclusion. Of course i'm sure terran players may have something to say about all this lol.

Edit: Not a dig at terran players either. When it's your profession it must suck when your race is really weak or the map pool is straight up broken.

If Ryung and Dream both don't pass then seeing a Terran in the RO 8 might be impossible. Especially if Maru get matched up with high level Zergs.

Top Bottom