• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft: Remastered |OT| Evolution Complete

Woorloog

Banned
OK, a very annoying and bothersome bug:

Clicking near the bottom causes game/Windows to think you clicked outside the window, making the game inactive.

This happens on both Fullscreen and Fullscreen Window.

Lime

Now we need Command & Conquer remasters
EWmof.gif
EWmof.gif
EWmof.gif

That would be excellent

But you know how EA is

I just now saw the preorder bonus thing for the first time.

Does that mean I now forever miss out on the preorder skins because I happened to not see anything about the game or its release date until now?

Because seriously fuck that shit. Not buying now.
It's been announced for almost 4 months now along with the preorder skins, I mean I dunno what to tell you lmao.

Wonko_C

Graphics look a little blurry on my 1080p monitor, how is this going to look in 4K? or is it just downsampling to my monitor that causes the blur? (And yes, I'm talking about the HD graphics, I made sure I was using them), also trying to play the intros from both games just crashes to desktop.

Graphics look a little blurry on my 1080p monitor, how is this going to look in 4K? or is it just downsampling to my monitor that causes the blur?
I'm playing the game at 1080p and it looks clear and crisp to me, not sure why you'd be experiencing blurriness like that.

KLoWn

Fuck this is soo cool! Everything looks and sounds great! GOTY right here! And I've only done the tutorial.

Kinda weird that they started up the game with the Brood War cinematic though. Not that I care, but the people that haven't played Starcraft at all might get confused when the characters in there is nowhere to be seen.

Laiza

Man, it's funny how much harder Starcraft 2's campaign is than this game's. Of course, I have years of Starcraft experience since the last time I played the campaign, but damn, the gulf in difficulty level between vanilla Starcraft and Starcraft 2's Brutal is immense. It's not even accurate to call it a gulf, really - it's more like an unfathomable chasm.

I'm on the second Terran mission and by the time the clock hits 10 minutes left on what is supposed to be a survival mission I've cleaned the entire map of any zerg units, but of course, they didn't anticipate this and so the mission still requires me to wait down the timer for the mission to complete. Starcraft 2 thankfully accounted for this in every mission where survival is a condition.

Also, it's pretty funny to me how they've brought over the old cutscenes up-rezzed while everything else got a serious makeover. Those graphics have not aged well! I knew they weren't going to do a full-on redo of all the cutscenes, but the contrast is downright distracting.

It's fine, though. It's still really impressive what they've managed to do here, and it's nice to go through the campaign with the up-rezzed visuals, even if I really do wish they added some kind of difficulty option.

ScOULaris

Could someone post pics of the dynamic lighting in action? I can't enable it because my GPU's VRAM comes up just short of the requirement. :(

It's been announced for almost 4 months now along with the preorder skins, I mean I dunno what to tell you lmao.
I knew the game existed, but in those four months they failed to deliver any info to me on the preorder bonuses. I check gaming sites 5+ times a day including NeoGaf. So. I dunno where the blame lies, other than Blizzard for locking shit behind a preorder for an HD version of an old game.

I know, they're not the first company to do this, but with other games you can at least buy the preorder codes from eBay resellers. But with this your purchase is locked to your Blizzard account and there's no physical release, so yeah I'm fucked. Thanks Blizzard!

TheContact

Remember someone hacked the map editor a long time ago to add the new colors and the ability to have "neutral" players besides 1-8 with all races and units enabled? Is that still possible?

I haven't bought it, but is there any reason why It's installing for me? I own the original Starcraft series and Starcraft 2 on Battle.net, but I didn't buy the remaster. I was planning on doing so when I get paid.

Lime

Man, it's funny how much harder Starcraft 2's campaign is than this game's. Of course, I have years of Starcraft experience since the last time I played the campaign, but damn, the gulf in difficulty level between vanilla Starcraft and Starcraft 2's Brutal is immense. It's not even accurate to call it a gulf, really - it's more like an unfathomable chasm.

I'm on the second Terran mission and by the time the clock hits 10 minutes left on what is supposed to be a survival mission I've cleaned the entire map of any zerg units, but of course, they didn't anticipate this and so the mission still requires me to wait down the timer for the mission to complete. Starcraft 2 thankfully accounted for this in every mission where survival is a condition.

Also, it's pretty funny to me how they've brought over the old cutscenes up-rezzed while everything else got a serious makeover. Those graphics have not aged well! I knew they weren't going to do a full-on redo of all the cutscenes, but the contrast is downright distracting.

It's fine, though. It's still really impressive what they've managed to do here, and it's nice to go through the campaign with the up-rezzed visuals, even if I really do wish they added some kind of difficulty option.

The Terran campaign is supposed to be easy, the Zerg is supposed to be medium, and the Protoss is Hard difficulty.

Blizzard used the races and the progression of the campaign as difficulty levels.

This carried over to Brood War, which continued upon the difficulty of the last Toss campaign.

Woorloog

Banned
Remember someone hacked the map editor a long time ago to add the new colors and the ability to have "neutral" players besides 1-8 with all races and units enabled? Is that still possible?

SCMDraft allows that, i think. It is a third party editor. A new version is coming.
Not sure if maps made with it will work.

The Terran campaign is supposed to be easy, the Zerg is supposed to be medium, and the Protoss is Hard difficulty.

Blizzard used the races and the progression of the campaign as difficulty levels.

Not really, all become more difficult near the end. And the difficulties are uneven anyway.

Oh baby, here comes White-Ra on the stream, so hyped!

I knew the game existed, but in those four months they failed to deliver any info to me on the preorder bonuses. I check gaming sites 5+ times a day including NeoGaf. So. I dunno where the blame lies, other than Blizzard for locking shit behind a preorder for an HD version of an old game.

I found out about the preorder bonus from the day it was announced, saw information about it on neogaf, and information about it on other gaming sites, so honestly, really, I have no idea what to tell you lol

Deps

Feels so good to play an rts again. Not holding my breath, but I really hope the game has a competitive scene again.

None were, AFAIK, except for some localisations. Sound files were apparently cleaned up though.
Oh well no worries about that! I'm kinda glad cause then people would complain about it anyways.

Yeah I was listening to the cleaned up versions on YouTube and they sound great!

Dreadmoth

How do the cutscenes look in Remastered?

High(er) resolution cutscenes were available in the free 1.19 for a while, but they've been downgraded in 1.20.

Nicolada

Playing some of anthology this morning and trying remaster right now, the difference is stunning lol. Also I wasn't sure if my save progress carried over, and it does, so that's nice. I'm new to the game, so I was contemplating whether or not to finish Brood War before the remaster or not.

Something glitched real hard on my account and now I can't even install the game even though I pre-ordered it. Currently waiting to see if support can fix it.

//ARCANUM

I just now saw the preorder bonus thing for the first time.

Does that mean I now forever miss out on the preorder skins because I happened to not see anything about the game or its release date until now?

Because seriously fuck that shit. Not buying now.

As another user said, it's been available for months. Also, don't play other blizzard games, because there's plenty of skins and items that are only ever available for certain times, under certain conditions, with certain promotions, then gone. Just the way it is.

edit - i don't literally mean "don't play other blizzard games", you absolutely should, they're great. Just that if this frustrates you, it's gonna frustrate you on all of their games. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

tomasdk

Oh baby, here comes White-Ra on the stream, so hyped!

I know, they're not the first company to do this, but with other games you can at least buy the preorder codes from eBay resellers. But with this your purchase is locked to your Blizzard account and there's no physical release, so yeah I'm fucked. Thanks Blizzard!

I found out about the preorder bonus from the day it was announced, saw information about it on neogaf, and information about it on other gaming sites, so honestly, really, I have no idea what to tell you lol

Not to mention it was advertised in battle net itself, I saw it countless times there. And the preorder stuff isn't anything significant anyway so I don't see how it's a problem.

So how the fuck do I download this?

It's in my purchase history but there's no link to download. I can launch vanilla SC and it has a button to upgrade but when I click it it says I already bought it. Every page on their website just says buy now, where it again says you already buy it.

They have my money, how do I install this shit? This is why people just want shit on Steam.

bounchfx

Oh my god I can't handle the commentary on the Live Stream, incontrol in the mix now is just gonna kill me lmao.

i honestly had to turn it off. so many moments where they would scream and go crazy at minor moments to the point where the audio would crackle and peak

Damn the bugs for me (mouse getting stuck after using keyboard to move minimap and fullscreen not sticking at launch) only happen in macOS, but in Windows 10 it's just fine.

Hope Blizzard is listening and will fix the issues!

hrab

I've been told here on Gaf, that there will be an option to use original unit portraits. So far I can't see an option like, there is only an option to use original voices for units. And while it's still good, it's not enough. I am really disappointed with that ;/

The desktop icon brought so much nostalgia though.

EDIT:
pressing F5 and seeing nice old portraits makes it hurt even more ;/

Did you download the Blizzard App like it says on the store page?

It doesn't say that.

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/games/sc/

Maybe my purchase history would be a good alternative place for a link to it? It's not linked to on the blizzard home page with their third announcement about their name change, either. Where do I get it

Edit looks like us.battle.net/en/app/ for anyone else

Double edit - this just takes me back to the account management -> download clients page that I started on where it is not listed

I have the original SC on my Blizzard app, but don't see the remastered. Should I keep restarting the app or something/
You should of gotten an update for the game, about 700 MB or something like that if you already have the original game installed. If not, that literally is the remaster on your app.

Top Bottom