• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stardew Valley |OT| Resting Under a Harvest Moon [Up: now on PS4]

Ok, I dont know if its a bug or a desing choice.

But my OCD hates that the hoe sometimes doesnt work for some of the sand floors of your farm, so it fucks up the design of my flieds.
And the colouring doesnt even make sense, one has some small green leaves (that you cant cut) and the other is just yellow sand.

Havent found any info about it anywhere.

Ok, I dont know if its a bug or a desing choice.

But my OCD hates that the hoe sometimes doesnt work for some of the sand floors of your farm, so it fucks up the design of my flieds.
And the colouring doesnt even make sense, one has some small green leaves (that you cant cut) and the other is just yellow sand.

Havent found any info about it anywhere.

An axe should take care of those.

^ Great to hear about the fish patterns

PLEASE HELP: I LOST MY PICKAXE!!

Edit: Nvm, it was in the fridge :X

One minute I was mining at something, and the next, I have no idea where it is! All I did was mine my storage box to move some things around and reorganize. Went to sleep since the game supposedly checks for missing tools and makes it appear on your bed, but it's not there either!

plz dont let me restart everything

I got another patch. Don't know what it does yet.

EDIT: Some minor fixes. Still 1.02 I guess.

Tools being upgraded no longer erroneously considered "missing"
Clay duplication bug fixed
Pet cutscene won't refer to the "cat" as a "dog" anymore.
Leah's 10-heart event fixed
Pepper Popper recipe now requires cheese.

I got another patch. Don't know what it does yet.

This one?

Edit: Released a little patch at 9:40am PST that fixes a few more problems:

Tools being upgraded no longer erroneously considered "missing"
Clay duplication bug fixed
Pet cutscene won't refer to the "cat" as a "dog" anymore.
Leah's 10-heart event fixed
Pepper Popper recipe now requires cheese.

Thanks for playing Stardew Valley!

This guy moves faaaast

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
How is everyone liking the game?

Are there any in depth reviews on the title? Or a thorough GAF review from this thread?

It's great. Do you like any Harvest Moon game? If yes, you will probably like Stardew Valley. I don't feel like I'm far enough into the game to make any substantial impressions (only 9.5 hours in and at the beginning of summer), but so far it's shaping up to be one of my favorite Harvest Moon-style games. There's a good amount of customization for your house and farm, so you can be creative to your heart's content.

I am so in, the moment options are added to slow down the in-game clock. I think "energy" is already enough of a resource for how much I can do in a day, so I really don't want to stress playing at a brisk pace.

HOLY SHIT.
I just was and inch from capturning the fish
king
!
Its hard as hell, and I became nervous and he went off the hook :(

I already know where he appears, and has appeared many times, but this last one was the nearest I was to caputure it.

An axe should take care of those.

Nop, is certainly a bug. Used the axe also. Nothing.

It happened once and I think it fixed it the next day, but its fucking infurating for planning.

I am so in, the moment options are added to slow down the in-game clock. I think "energy" is already enough of a resource for how much I can do in a day, so I really don't want to stress playing at a brisk pace.

Theres already an mod for that. Im playing with it and its became essential. It only adds 4 seconds more to each hour and its a godsend but doesnt feel like a cheat at all. I dont remember where I download it, but someone put a link a few pages back (was yesterday), theres another mod that makes you move faster, but I dont have tha one.

wYTjSdq.jpg

uhhh

EIc8ufm.jpg

uhhhhhhhhhhhhh

If it's the explosion that I encountered during the Fall year 1 there should be
a meteorite
somewhere on your property.

Seems like tha's what happened, except it happened on like the 15th of spring. I guess the rng was feeling generous!

Grief.exe

It's great. Do you like any Harvest Moon game? If yes, you will probably like Stardew Valley. I don't feel like I'm far enough into the game to make any substantial impressions (only 9.5 hours in and at the beginning of summer), but so far it's shaping up to be one of my favorite Harvest Moon-style games. There's a good amount of customization for your house and farm, so you can be creative to your heart's content.

Oh ya. My favorites are still N64 and FOMT.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

If you just want to buy the game now, you can just download mods.

Someone on SA did some modified exe's, with slowed down time & increased run speed. I didn't try them myself so usual caveats apply, and then some:

http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/modding-progress-so-far.106868/

Oh ya. My favorites are still N64 and FOMT.

It's definitely as charming and entertaining as FOMT was (still my favorite 2D Harvest Moon).

How well does this run on a cherry trail atom?

These are the requirements:

Windows 7 or greater
CPU: 2 Ghz
2 GB RAM
Graphics: 256 mb video memory, shader model 3.0+
DirectX: 10

DirectX 10 is a little strange, but other than that it should run on anything, pretty much.

In late summer. Got my groove on. Need steel/iron for the sprinklers but right now I have:

- 30+ constant revenue crops

- Coop with my 4 chickens, all grown now. Also 2 mayo machines. (Each mayo gives like 100g instead of the 30ish for the eggs).

- Just asked for the lady to build my silo, so I don't have to keep making grass for the chickens to eat. Once I have the silo and grass I have enough money to build the barn, so I'll likely get that next, alongside the machine to turn milk

- Sent my pickaxe to turn into a copper one. Need to get the right ores for the sprinklers god dammit.

- Friendly enough with the single person I'm going for that I can enter her room. hopefully this time when I ask them to the dance she won't go "eww, no" lol

Any tips on which area of the mines has the most chance for iron/steel/whatever the fuck comes next after copper? I just reached level 30 and haven't gone further because I saw some zombies or some shit down there lol.

Argh! Fuck the fish
king

Also surprised the super cucumber is not something you can cultivate lol

Also is it me or the sprinklers are shit? When it said 4 squares, I supposed it was a cross with 4 squares on evry side, but it seems to be 1 square on the 4 sides. You would need to put them in an chessboard type of setting , and that would take too much valuable space, and the sprinklers are also too expensive for being that horrible.

- Friendly enough with the single person I'm going for that I can enter her room. hopefully this time when I ask them to the dance she won't go "eww, no" lol

Any tips on which area of the mines has the most chance for iron/steel/whatever the fuck comes next after copper? I just reached level 30 and haven't gone further because I saw some zombies or some shit down there lol.

The first part, I think is 2 hearts for them to let you enter the room. Its not enough to let them dance with you (had haley with 2 hearts at the time).

Also Iron starts to appear 40 floors and below.

Artanisix

After playing around with some of the mods, I prefer the game time speed to be normal and the movement speed to be cranked up to 3. Keeps the days going so things don't get stagnant

InertiaXr

After playing around with some of the mods, I prefer the game time speed to be normal and the movement speed to be cranked up to 3. Keeps the days going so things don't get stagnant

Are you able to get the movement speed mod working with the new updates? I had it yesterday, but the update overnight made my game crash upon loading if I have the mod active, without it its fine, so I've been going without the mod for now.

I haven't tried any mod yet, but I can't see it being fun to slow down time AND speed up the movement speed. Seems like it would break the game in a way. I might look into speeding up the character a bit. He is a tad too slow now.

It was about ten fishing attempts before I realised that the bar on the right was progress and that I was supposed to keep the left bar on the fish. Then when figured this out, the first fish I caught involved 0 effort.

Ugh.

Also, where does one get coal? The mine?
wYTjSdq.jpg

uhhh

EIc8ufm.jpg

uhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Don't bully Shane! I'll fight you.

Not sure why you guys would slow down time, you arent meant to do everything in a day.

I love the game where it's at now. Diagonal speed buff would be nice.

It'd be better if there were certain shoes to make you go a little faster. Cooking lets you get some buffs too. And you can get a horse.

Also, there are teleportation areas in this game, so once you unlock those, things are going to be easy to get around town

wrongway

Oh man, this looks adorable. I could really use a relaxing, low-energy-friendly game right now too.

Has this been pretty solid so far bug-wise?

do all farm animals eat hay/grass? Don't wanna get the next set and find out they eat something I don't have an easy access to.

Oh man, this looks adorable. I could really use a relaxing, low-energy-friendly game right now too.

Has this been pretty solid so far bug-wise?

Haven't experienced much tbh. Only thing that bothered me that I loaded my save file once and it didn't a day or two of work, so I had to redo it this morning.

Yeah they do. Even chickens. Need a silo to store it. Silos super cheap though.

yeah I have whats her face building it right now. Once she builds that I'll build the barn for the other animals.

Next question, do rock fences break? I know wooden fences do, curious if rock fences do too. I'm also hoping an earthquake doesn't occur every season change that destroys the minor shit you've built (roads, etc...)

Drazgul

^ All fences break (except maybe the ultimate one, don't have all recipes yet), it's just a matter of when. Stone IMO is a nice balance, wouldn't waste my time with the wooden ones unless you need it for aesthetics.

Speaking of animals, how does breeding work? Is it just random chance or can you hatch a chicken egg, for example?

Seil

Level 40 I believe for iron, 80 for gold. I honestly do not recommend the first sprinklers. Wait for quality sprinklers which cost 1 gold bar, 1 iron bar and 1 refined quartz. Quality sprinklers water all 8 tiles around them.

You can relatively easily clear 5-10 floors a day in the mines depending on when you start.

Panda Rin

Played for about an hour. Wish I had more time to play...the only gripe is the running. it's awkward when going diagonally.

Level 40 I believe for iron, 80 for gold. I honestly do not recommend the first sprinklers. Wait for quality sprinklers which cost 1 gold bar, 1 iron bar and 1 refined quartz. Quality sprinklers water all 8 tiles around them.

You can relatively easily clear 5-10 floors a day in the mines depending on when you start.

cool thanks. My issue is if I have to go THAT low to get gold, you probably need iron tools to mine those. And I already have the ingredients for the second tier sprinkler, but still haven't even made the first since I've spent so much time farming lol. Guess I'll have to start further down in the mine for fall I guess.

Played for about an hour. Wish I had more time to play...the only gripe is the running. it's awkward when going diagonally.

this. and the mod has issues to. I wish it worked with the game itself instead of requiring a separate launcher file.

Arthea

I can't really find of any reliable method of making money which we need a lot in this game. (for the record, I'm on my first summer) and nothing seems to work, farming is too slow, I usually would do fishing for money, but it's too frustrating and very unreliable in this game. Foraging doesn't bring enough.
Do crafting bring any money? Haven't tried that yet, for money I mean.

Seil

For what it's worth, ConcernedApe has acknowledged a couple tweets about diagonal movement and said they'll look into it. What the end result may be is up in the air, though.

I can't really find of any reliable method of making money which we need a lot in this game. (for the record, I'm on my first summer) and nothing seems to work, farming is too slow, I usually would do fishing for money, but it's too frustrating and very unreliable in this game. Foraging doesn't bring enough.

Fishing is amazing as you level it up and get better rods. At level 5 you can pick a profession that gives 25% more profit per fish, at level 10 there's another 50% increase option. I almost exclusively get gold star fish so a further value increase there. Fishing in the lake in the northeast of town, at least in spring and summer, is pretty consistent cash and, on a good day, incredible cash. I got ~5k off the fish alone one day from the lake, plus some gems and geodes from treasure chests haha.

Drazgul

Corn is nice for your first summer, since it'll last until winter comes. Fishing etc. is nice supplementary income, but cash crops is where you'd make the bulk of your monies - each season lasts for 28 days though so make sure you don't plant too late when it comes to one-season crops.

Not sure why you guys would slow down time, you arent meant to do everything in a day.

I love the game where it's at now. Diagonal speed buff would be nice.

It'd be better if there were certain shoes to make you go a little faster. Cooking lets you get some buffs too. And you can get a horse.

Also, there are teleportation areas in this game, so once you unlock those, things are going to be easy to get around town

The time was not well balanced IMO. It takes too much time to get from one part of the town to the other becuase of how big the map is, and is even worse if you forgot something and you need to go back. Adding 4 seconds to each hour is not much so it doesnt brake the normal activities, but its enough to not loose time for something as boring as walking from one place to the other. You can think otherwise, but as much as I love the game it has some strange design decissions here and there. The 4 seconds less for hour was the strange thing, and could be caused becuase after playing it a ton of years that he has been making it, he found it too easy. Its a normal thing to happen, myself as a game designer after playing too much of a game I made just to test it until all works, I find its too easy and try to put more difficulty into it (and I can assure you most of the times is not the best thing to do), when in reality, is just that you know the game with the palm of your hand. You need to consider people are playing from scracth to your game.
He could have add more speed to the character, but I think that compared to the other npcs and the basic animation the game has it would look super strange. I think the magic touch is getting those 4 seconds back instead of giving him walking speed.
The diagonals being slower is another quirk I have with the game that doesnt make any sense (seems more like he didnt do the maths well for the diagoals to work at the same speed as horizontal and vertical walk than a design choice) and thank god for modding solving that.

For what it's worth, ConcernedApe has acknowledged a couple tweets about diagonal movement and said they'll look into it. What the end result may be is up in the air, though.

Makes sense. He probably wanst bothered anymore after palying it a lot, or didnt now how to get it exactly right. It happenes a lot when you design a game for so many time and you are not getting constant feedback of new players.

Artanisix

I'm surprised by how many people find fishing difficult. All you have to do is keep the green bar behind the fish.

Drazgul

^^ Well to be fair you do get the minecarts and horse later on, which help a great deal with moving around. Is it perfectly balanced, I don't know, but I have plenty of time to do the things I want usually. If people are planting giga farms without at least 2nd tier sprinklers set up, that's on them.

I had no idea this game existed until I read the OP right now. This looks really good, I'll pick it up after I'm done with FE. Need a good ol' farm RPG in my life right now.

Is fishing all that good? I mean it was ok money when I started, but I guess I'm still using the beginning rod.

Once I set up a self sustaining farm that I don't waste half of my energy just watering my crops, maybe I'll level up fishing.

Seil

^^ Well to be fair you do get the minecarts and horse later on, which help a great deal with moving around. Is it perfectly balanced, I don't know, but I have plenty of time to do the things I want usually. If people are planting giga farms without at least 2nd tier sprinklers set up, that's on them.

The mine carts are great, so glad I made it a point to unlock them.

Arthea

I'm surprised by how many people find fishing difficult. All you have to do is keep the green bar behind the fish.

I don't understand how that works for you, I get like one fish out of ten, I keep that green bar on the fish for quite a time while it moves and then it suddenly jumps (literally), and even if I get into it's new position in time it still snaps, every single time, it's beyond frustrating.

Top Bottom