• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stardew Valley |OT| Resting Under a Harvest Moon [Up: now on PS4]

MouldyK

I always get bothered with these games when you start to snowball into making a shit ton of money because it stops being fun. I am by no means rich, but Id love it if there were:

-Taxes, based on total income for the year/season
-Maintenance costs for your houses, barns, coops
-Bills for heaters, sprinklers, etc.

I've also noticed that I rarely get sick...if there even is a sick feature.

I know a lot of people tend to enjoy these games for the creativity, but I hope that the game can maintain a balance between making lots of profits and still offering a challenge.

Yeah, that's always my problem, but I also like how you have alot of space it seems on the farm, so a lot more freedom in whereto put things, unlike Harvest Moon which was quite limited in that regard last time I checked.

So my farm can look different than other people's for once!

Wanace

So I've got two bugs that just occurred.

One is unlimited crab pots. I placed two crab pots side by side in my farm's lake to the south, and when I put bait in one, the other opened up too. I didn't think anything of it.

The next day they both had snails in them, so I tried to grab them and only got one. So I picked up one crab pot and moved it, and had no issues after that. Then I accidentally forgot to bait them one day and went to check and picked one up, it went to my inventory but stayed in the lake. Now I can continually pick them up and sell them over and over again. If I hold down the button I can get 999 in my inventory (haven't tried but it just keeps going up.)

The other bug is now when I press A to collect something (Xbox controller) from a furnace, recycling bin, etc, I get the item and it also "breaks" the item, forcing me to pick it up and replace it again. (this may have been a mouse cursor issue!)

Also:

oRTiTni.jpg

Seil

So I've got two bugs that just occurred.

One is unlimited crab pots. I placed two crab pots side by side in my farm's lake to the south, and when I put bait in one, the other opened up too. I didn't think anything of it.

The next day they both had snails in them, so I tried to grab them and only got one. So I picked up one crab pot and moved it, and had no issues after that. Then I accidentally forgot to bait them one day and went to check and picked one up, it went to my inventory but stayed in the lake. Now I can continually pick them up and sell them over and over again. If I hold down the button I can get 999 in my inventory (haven't tried but it just keeps going up.)

The other bug is now when I press A to collect something (Xbox controller) from a furnace, recycling bin, etc, I get the item and it also "breaks" the item, forcing me to pick it up and replace it again.

Update 1.02 was pushed a couple hours ago on steam and should have resolved the crab pot one. Dunno about the second one. Is that only happening when you have a pickaxe or something held, or no matter what?

Wanace

Update 1.02 was pushed a couple hours ago on steam and should have resolved the crab pot one. Dunno about the second one. Is that only happening when you have a pickaxe or something held, or no matter what?

Second one had to do with where my cursor was on screen, isn't a bug! Sorry!

I have the new update already, so the crab pot obviously still has issues.

Also, sending your tool to be upgraded counts as it being "lost" and it gets returned to you, un-upgraded. Not sure if I will get a new one when I go back to Clint or not, have to wait and see once the time has passed.

Corpekata

Banned
Seems like they overcompensated with the missing tools patch. I gave my tool to the blacksmith to upgrade it and he takes it for a few days. Next morning the Mayor gave me an extra one. Hope it doesn't interfere with the upgrade process.

Wanace

Seems like they overcompensated with the missing tools patch. I gave my tool to the blacksmith to upgrade it and he takes it for a few days. Next morning the Mayor gave me an extra one. Hope it doesn't interfere with the upgrade process.

Yep, I had that too. I did get my upgraded tool but now I have two of them.

I'm gonna set this aside until some of the bugs they introduced are ironed out. Before today's update I didn't have any problems aside from a minor crab pot thing. Today I've had a bunch of things crop up which mitigated my enjoyment.

Cerity

Yeah, having issues with my all my makers/collectors/furnaces etc. Everytime I try to grab the finished product from it picks the maker up too. I can hear the pickaxe sound piece in the background when it happens.

Wanace

Yeah, having issues with my all my makers/collectors/furnaces etc. Everytime I try to grab the finished product from it picks the maker up too. I can hear the pickaxe sound piece in the background when it happens.

Yeah I thought this was a problem with where my cursor was but I discovered it's not. I somehow lost 26 copper ore because of this problem (it got shipped, even though I was no where near my shipping box.)

Just in case you aren't aware there is a running mod out and currently use it and it is a godsend! I did not create this I just so stumbled upon it yesterday.

Link

Corpekata

Banned
How do I get a smelter guys? I've read mining level 1 is all you need to get the recipe.

Do you mean a furnace? IIRC the blacksmith guy came by the house early in the morning and gave me the plans I want to say around 10 days in? I'm not sure if there's another trigger for it.

LordAmused

Patch 1.02 was released a few hours ago.

New Build -- 1.02

Fixed a few more issues today:
If you never received your pet, you will now have another opportunity.
When you go to sleep, the game now checks if any of your essential tools are missing. If so, they will appear next to your bed in the morning.
The game now properly saves on level-up nights.
Eating skill food and then going to bed on a level-up night works properly now.
Fixed problem where completing the Crafts Room while standing in certain locations causes your character to get stuck.
Player character should now walk correctly while in a cutscene after drinking coffee.
Removed an item duplication exploit.
Forage items should no longer spawn in the woods above the beach.
Fixed Crab Pot problem (again)
Fixed exploding armchair bug.
Relaxing in the spa with your menu up no longer restores energy.
Removed Leah's doppelganger.
Debris should no longer spawn in the pathway between farm & forest.
Fixed disappearing tapper problem.
Fixed a few minor graphics problems & dialogue typos.
Other minor issues (spoilers)

Exploding armchair? Damn, ISIS made it this far!?

big_z

does this game have an end point like the older harvest moons where you get judged after a few years or does it simply go on forever?

LordAmused

I think there is a bug with the furnace. When I try to retrieve my items, the furnace automatically destroys itself. Apparently, it was introduced with 1.02.

mileS

The game just came out I'm a little worried about starting with a mod when there's sure to be a bunch of patches that could possibly break the save or make the mod not work anymore.

Since MP is a long way out (couple of months)...what can we expect?

I mean, how does it work?

I think it's like 4 Player Co-Op, but will there be exclusive challenges or difficulty changes?

Also, since there is mod support, what kind of mods can we expect? Can we expect people to add in things like environmental changes (blizzards that cause much faster exhaustion, add in gameplay features like taxes/building maintenance, etc).?

Ryuuga

Banned
The game just came out I'm a little worried about starting with a mod when there's sure to be a bunch of patches that could possibly break the save or make the mod not work anymore.

Yup, thinking the same too. The developer is pumping out patches like no tomorrow, so I see some conflict occuring eventually. I've grown used to the given run speed, but I'll wait until it's officially in if it ever is.

Click the ConcernedApe logo at the startup of the game. It's a silly thing, but the game is filled with details like that. It's insane that one person made this amazing game and meanwhile Story of Seasons and every HM made for the last 15 or so years don't have half the charm this game does.

Click the logo at the startup of the game. It's a silly thing, but the game is filled with details like that. It's insane that one person made this amazing game and meanwhile Story of Seasons and every HM made for the last 15 or so years don't have half the charm this game does.

Yep. I think the first time I was in awe was realizing the scope of the Community Centre. It's a feature that you would never imagine added with ONE guy at the helm.

Makes you wonder what the hell goes on with similar games. This guy just gets it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcAZXEZQgRw < That's the original trailer. Game has come far.

Do you need an upgraded pickaxe to be able to get iron/steel? Looks like that'll be my first upgrade whenever I have the money. So much of the machine requires iron.

Melting to create iron bars takes a fucking ton of time, too much. Probably feels like a ternity now beucase I have the time mod, but wow.

New Build -- 1.02

When you go to sleep, the game now checks if any of your essential tools are missing. If so, they will appear next to your bed in the morning.
Fixed problem where completing the Crafts Room while standing in certain locations causes your character to get stuck.
Player character should now walk correctly while in a cutscene after drinking coffee.

So that is why I have two cats now.
Thought it was a bug as i mod the slower time in the game, but it seems it was introcuded with the patch. Its cool, but both cats have the same name (thought I lost my cat and thats why I put the same name when a new one was brought) and the menu only counts as 1 pet instead of two.

Do you need to fertilize the ground after every time you harvest your crops? The ground still has those dots as if the fertilizer is still there, but I'm starting to wonder if that's just a glitch.

I decided to repair the wood leading to the other part of the beach and collected all the coral, do they respawn like the oysters?

They netted me a ton of money.

I've put 21 hours into this so far since release, I think that's a good sign that I like it.

Playing with a controller; works for 90% of the things - even rumble support which has nice feedback. I tend to be swapping to a mouse to manage the inventory though, it's just faster to pick things out with the accuracy of a mouse. Also, during the Fall fair, some of the mini-games have sensitivity issues with a controller, have to use a mouse.

I decided to repair the wood leading to the other part of the beach and collected all the coral, do they respawn like the oysters?.

Yep. I keep forgetting about it so when I end up going back I get a nice chunk of cash.

That feeling when you get 4 golden star sturgeons.
1500g for all 4.
got 5000 for fishing all the afternoon.

So, uh, what was that explosion about? Everything's the same as far as I can see, even the usual suspect places.

The earthquake before summer?
Its the train station north the map and has a bath (I dont even know whats the bath about, only that you can swim.

If its another explosion, I dunno.

I've put 21 hours into this so far since release, I think that's a good sign that I like it.

Playing with a controller; works for 90% of the things - even rumble support which has nice feedback. I tend to be swapping to a mouse to manage the inventory though, it's just faster to pick things out with the accuracy of a mouse. Also, during the Fall fair, some of the mini-games have sensitivity issues with a controller, have to use a mouse.

I use controller as it great 90% of the time as you said (rumble while fishing is a must), but Im force to use the mouse when I want to put furniture and things around my farm. Its just much faster that way, controller has a hard time putting things infront of the character. Funnily I dont have a problem using the controller in the menus and im usually fast moving the second stik to use things and move them around.

I hope they leave the fishing as is. People complain about it as if they expect to catch every fish. But one thing is for sure, it feels random. Better valued fish should be harder to catch than the smaller ones. I am pretty sure I've caught bigger fish easier sometimes.

does leveling up fishing increase the bar or something?

And who are you people marrying!

Leah and Haley are my choices, but Haley looks like a pain in the ass and so smug.

Maru would totally be my choice if she looked like her older models. I hate her glasses and hair in the final version.

Also, that one NPC with the kids, Jodi... I would love the challenge of having to win over her kids + her, but she's not eligible.

That feeling when you get 4 golden star sturgeons.
1500g for all 4.
got 5000 for fishing all the afternoon.

Its the train station north the map and has a bath (I dont even know whats the bath about, only that you can swim.

Was the train station inaccessible before the earthquake?

Also, can we spoiler things moving forward?
Earthquake isnt that big of a deal, but I'd like to not spoil the solutions to some of the events in the game

There are at least two things so far that I dont know the answer to, and Id rather not know.

Does this also mean earthquakes dont exist to naturally destroy some of your farm? Id have loved some kind of rare disaster.

As for the spa, if you stand still in the water, your Energy restores fully

I hope they leave the fishing as is. People complain about it as if they expect to catch every fish. But one thing is for sure, it feels random. Better valued fish should be harder to catch than the smaller ones. I am pretty sure I've caught bigger fish easier sometimes.

I agree. I really hope the dev doesn't cave in to all the people complaining and nerfs it. The mechanic is really well done and easy to understand after 3-4 first tries.

Kaizen

New Build -- 1.02

now I have 2 pickaxes because I gave mine away for an upgrade lol

Is the entrance that weird broken wall left of the tent? It looks the same as it did before. I'll explore a bit more I guess.

I'll wait for a couple of patches and then I'll bite.

There's already been a couple patches in the past two days. He's a very active dev. I don't really see why you'd want to wait, especially at its price, it's already very complete and stable. Is there a certain issue you need fixed before you bite?

ChrisDM

There's already been a couple patches in the past two days. He's a very active dev. I don't really see why you'd want to wait, especially at its price, it's already very complete and stable. Is there a certain issue you need fixed before you bite?

Personally, I'm gonna buy as soon as I'm done with all this graduate work (ugh), but does the dev plan on putting an official fix in for the diagonal walking/running issue? I know a mod is out.

Ok Abigail it is. I had my eyes on her becuase im a sucker for character design with purple hair but the nerdy girl has the best event ive seen in the game and I dont think anything is going to surpass it.
Playing Legendary Praire coop in her super nes lol
When she asks for help I said to myself, if he does the coop playable, Concerdenape is amazing, but its probably only a black screen or something as it would be too much work. And BAM! There it is, you can play a whole level in coop.
Best girl and best event.

does leveling up fishing increase the bar or something?

I agree. I really hope the dev doesn't cave in to all the people complaining and nerfs it. The mechanic is really well done and easy to understand after 3-4 first tries.

After fishing a ton (level 9), and saying the first day that it was random. Its really not.

Theres sometimes when fishes change the movement, but VERY slightly.

Every fish has a clear patron. For example, carps saty always below the bar, and sturgeons are super tricky to catch, becuase they move erratically all along the bar (but again, if you know the patron you can get better at catching them, like I did).

I feel the fishing difficulty perfect. Is super tricky at first, but once you have the hang of it can go very easy if you know your fishes.

About the bar, it get slightly bigger with
better rods
and then theres a some hooks
that increases it also a little bit, or gives it special things, like not bouncing when you hit fast below bar, or atracting fish faster

Leveling up fishing gives you
more chances to get better value fish, the silver and gold stars. It also brings more fishing things that can de done with crafting, and at level 5 you can choose two types of abilities

Ok Abigail it is. I had my eyes on her becuase im a sucker for character design with purple hair but the nerdy girl has the best event ive seen in the game and I dont think anything is going to surpass it.
Playing Legendary Praire coop in her super nes lol
When she asks for help I said to myself, if he does the coop playable, Concerdenape is amazing, but its probably only a black screen or something as it would be too much work. And BAM! There it is, you can play a whole level in coop.
Best girl and best event.
That was so cool, I was playing it with a smile at that point.

Top Bottom