• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stardew Valley |OT| Resting Under a Harvest Moon [Up: now on PS4]

Why is the title lying? This seems WAY more akin to Rune Factory. Oh god I just got a boner and I'm hovering over the buy buttton.

Hey, Shane is not that bad of a guy, he just offered me a cold beer while relaxing near the lake. :p

Still, my best friend continues to be a homeless man who steals other people's trash. I'm digging the little cutscenes.

Oh man this game rocks. It's a cut above the rest.

Legend of the Prarie Dude is legit fun. And the Harvest Mooniness of the actual game is just great stuff.

Meneses

Sorry if this has been answered before, but how do I complete the Community House bundles?

For example, I go to the CH page and have the Spring Forage one "shaking", I click on it and try to drag the plants from my inventory to the empty slots but it won't let me.

What am I missing / doing wrong?

Got a reminder for the flower dance event. Do I need to ask my interest before or is it on the day?

did you already get the letter to
visit the wizard
? I think it has to do with that quest line.

Just received the Wizard's letter.

Why is the title lying? This seems WAY more akin to Rune Factory. Oh god I just got a boner and I'm hovering over the buy buttton.

Click that buttton!

LordAmused

Oh man this game rocks. It's a cut above the rest.

Legend of the Prarie Dude is legit fun. And the Harvest Mooniness of the actual game is just great stuff.

Yup. It's everything I hoped for and more. It is the best "Harvest Moon" game in the last decade, in my opinion. It's much deeper than I thought.

Does anybody know what the "desert" store is? According to the wiki, there are some seeds I can only buy over there.

Got a reminder for the flower dance event. Do I need to ask my interest before or is it on the day?

On the day. Be prepared to sit by yourself though. :p

Sorry if this has been answered before, but how do I complete the Community House bundles?

For example, I go to the CH page and have the Spring Forage one "shaking", I click on it and try to drag the plants from my inventory to the empty slots but it won't let me.

What am I missing / doing wrong?
Are you on your inventory menu or at the CH? You have to be there and click the tiles.

Seil

Yup. It's everything I hoped for and more. It is the best "Harvest Moon" game in the last decade, in my opinion. It's much deeper than I thought.

Does anybody know what the "desert" store is? According to the wiki, there are some seeds I can only buy over there.

I think you need the bus to be running to get to the desert.

Meneses

On the day. Be prepared to sit by yourself though. :p

Are you on your inventory menu or at the CH? You have to be there and click the tiles.

Inventory, that was my problem then.

I'll go to the CH tomorrow, have to put the game down for now since i've already played way too much lol

Thanks!

What are the requirements? Just got two hearts with Penny.

I had two hearts with Penny and Leah, neither wanted to dance with me. Oh well... Don't know how many are needed.

EDIT: Oh man, unlocking the mine carts in the CH is the best thing that one can do. So much time saved.

Reached summer with 5K gold. Bought a buttload of the cheapish seeds and still had like 3500 left. Stopped for today. Will buy more seeds tomorrow, including some of the ones that keep giving and some fertilizer.

Cerity

Yeah, make sure you grab all the expensive ones at the start to make them fully worth it. The long grow times are pretty crazy and it seems like plants stay until the next season, I've a few batches of pepper that have given me 4-5 harvests and they're still standing.

I still haven't bought anything btw, all of my money goes into buying more seeds. And once I reach just above 10k I gotta buy the coop.

This game will last forever lol. Once I get chickens I'll do the impossible to get that mayo machine materials. Hopefully mayo is worth quite a lot.

DiscoJer

Is there any way to remap keys? I use the computer left handed, so the default set up just doesn't work for me (I really need to use the arrow keys to move and the wasd to use the tool)

Hmm... I take it the friendship mechanic doesn't work like Harvest Moon, where talking is enough to raise friendship? Shane (IIRC) is too fabulous to even acknowledge my existence most of the time.
Is there any way to remap keys? I use the computer left handed, so the default set up just doesn't work for me (I really need to use the arrow keys to move and the wasd to use the tool)

Press ESC to access the menu, you can rebind to most keys.

I was worried about SV's art style before release, but now that I'm seeing it in action with sound and stuff, I think it fits pretty well. It has a real charm to it, and pretty good atmosphere too.

The character sprites remind me of Chrono Trigger. Some of the emotes are similar.
So how is the controller implementation in this game? I read it had partial controller support and am wondering why

IIRC text inputs don't work with a controller. (There's no virtual keyboard) Not sure what else.

Edgeward

I was worried about SV's art style before release, but now that I'm seeing it in action with sound and stuff, I think it fits pretty well. It has a real charm to it, and pretty good atmosphere too.

The character sprites remind me of Chrono Trigger. Some of the emotes are similar.

IIRC text inputs don't work with a controller. (There's no virtual keyboard) Not sure what else.

Ah, I see. Not a big deal then. Thanks.

So how is the controller implementation in this game? I read it had partial controller support and am wondering why

over-all it's ok, but you're basically simulating the mouse for some things here and there with the joystick (menu, placing items).

There's also no shortcut to the map in the controller, so you'll have to press M. Besides the map and keyboard input, everything else works in the controller.

over-all it's ok, but you're basically simulating the mouse for some things here and there with the joystick (menu, placing items).

There's also no shortcut to the map in the controller, so you'll have to press M. Besides the map and keyboard input, everything else works in the controller.
You can get to the map from your inventory.

Edgeward

Thanks for the further you explanation. Looking forward to playing this then once I get through Rune Factory 4

BTW guys, this guy on Reddit just published a mod for this game that allows for editing of the movement speed. I think this makes it a cheat but dear god playing a few minutes with this makes everything so much better. The game is brilliant and all the better when going to the grocery store in game finally takes less time than going to the grocery in real life.

https://www.reddit.com/r/StardewValley/comments/47zdzj/movement_mod_fixes_diagonal_movement/

Mikey Jr.

I honestly believe the iname clock now with the mod should be the default.

It is VASTLY improved, and I am enjoying the game way more.

bengraven

This the Harvest Moon game I've been waiting for since Back to Nature.

Put in 6 or 7 hours in the last day so far and want to play more.

Sucks that two of my first choices for marriage are already married or just not able to marry. Come on Emily, you look like someone I know, it would be awesome...

I honestly believe the iname clock now with the mod should be the default.

It is VASTLY improved, and I am enjoying the game way more.

link to mods? I'm getting annoyed with certain small things with the game, wanna see what mods we have so far.

Also what use does sap have guys? I see it's used for a very few recipes (like torches) but what else?

Aaron D.

BTW guys, this guy on Reddit just published a mod for this game that allows for editing of the movement speed. I think this makes it a cheat but dear god playing a few minutes with this makes everything so much better. The game is brilliant and all the better when going to the grocery store in game finally takes less time than going to the grocery in real life.

https://www.reddit.com/r/StardewValley/comments/47zdzj/movement_mod_fixes_diagonal_movement/

Oh man, this mod is fantastic. Great find!

InertiaXr

How does the Bundle stuff work in the Community Center? Do I need to bring, for the construction bundle for instance: 99 wood, 99 wood, 99 stone, and 10 hardwood IIRC, and it will auto fill out and I get a bonus or something from that? After I talked to the Wizard I don't get what exactly I'm suppose to do with that Community Center.

Drazgul

How does the Bundle stuff work in the Community Center? Do I need to bring, for the construction bundle for instance: 99 wood, 99 wood, 99 stone, and 10 hardwood IIRC, and it will auto fill out and I get a bonus or something from that? After I talked to the Wizard I don't get what exactly I'm suppose to do with that Community Center.

You have to open the golden tablet, select which particular bundle you want to fulfill and then click on the requested items from your inventory. You don't need to bring them all in at once, either.

Alright, I think talking to a character does slightly raise their friendship level. Ever so slightly. Then they have four tiers of gifts - hated, disliked, liked, and loved. But each character ranges from liking or disliking specific items to entire categories of items, so it's very difficult to keep track of all of it.

Wish there was an in-game journal or something to keep track of, at the very least, what they say they like and dislike, or else a full journal detailing their preferences as the player uncovers it. It'd save a lot of time.

But then I guess it's designed more for a natural discovery + slowly built friendships so the current system works.

KScorp

Is there something that triggers wild plants spawning? I haven't seen a daffodil, dandelion, or wild horseradish in like a week, and only a single leek. Before the Community Center opened up, I was finding at least daffodils and horseradish fairly often... but now I'm having trouble finding one of each.

Since this came out yesterday, Ive put in 19 hours.

I need to take sunday off.

Im almost done the winter season. Dont know if there are any winter crops, but it was a slow season where I had to rely on my chickens and cows. I also mined and chopped a lot of wood and leveled up my fishing.

Had to spend a lot of money on hay because I forgot to store up for the winter.

Loooveee this game. I pray for an expansion or mods that can make this a true life-time game.

I always get bothered with these games when you start to snowball into making a shit ton of money because it stops being fun. I am by no means rich, but Id love it if there were:

-Taxes, based on total income for the year/season
-Maintenance costs for your houses, barns, coops
-Bills for heaters, sprinklers, etc.

I've also noticed that I rarely get sick...if there even is a sick feature.

I know a lot of people tend to enjoy these games for the creativity, but I hope that the game can maintain a balance between making lots of profits and still offering a challenge.

Cerity

I wish there were more cross season crops, the only one I've found so far is corn (summer -> fall). The hit inbetween seasons is quite heavy, especially as there are a lot of crops that have long grow times.

Granted farming does get pretty auto pilot after you have a sprinkler system setup, it'd be nice to be able to plan ahead with a bit more variety.

Top Bottom