• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stardew Valley |OT| Resting Under a Harvest Moon [Up: now on PS4]

Cerity

If you do focus on farming, make sure you use fertilisers and whatnot. Gold star veggies net you quite a lot. Last harvest of potatoes nabbed me 6k with a few gold star potatoes and 10-15 silver star (out of 36 potatoes I think).

slash3584

I think it didn't save right one night. I explored the mines to level 5 and had a bunch of loot, went to sleep, now I appear to be behind a day, I think?

I have seen this bug pop up several times in the steam forums.

I hope ConcernedApe fixes it quickly because loosing one day can be pretty frustating in these kind of games.

Cerity

arrrrgggggghhhh

so spring ends in 28 days. I'd planted a bunch of parsnips (read: 180) on the 25th expecting a massive harvest on the 30th. Now it's summer and they're all dead.

Should have checked the calender.

Cerity

How do I fish? I cast the line, and then when the exclamation marks appears I left click but nothing seems to happen.

If nothing happens you aren't clicking left click quick enough. If it's a fish it'll say "HIT!" and bring you into the little minigame thing, if it's just trash you'll pick it up.

If nothing happens you aren't clicking left click quick enough. If it's a fish it'll say "HIT!" and bring you into the little minigame thing, if it's just trash you'll pick it up.

Ah thanks. Now I just suck at winning the minigame - Pam's not going to be happy I couldn't deliver her a sardine in time, haha.

Corpekata

Banned
Oof, don't pass out from exhaustion. Was trying to find the next floor of the mines and passed out. Doctor charged me nearly 200 gold.

Cerity

yooooooooo.

The recycling machine is pretty worth. scrap paper -> paper/cloth which is worth 375g. Crazy given how many of them you can get through fishing as trash.

Cerity

Seems to be randomised with what you'll get though.

Trash has gotten me Iron ore, Copper Ore and Stones
Broken glasses seeem to get me refined quartz
The paper has given me either the cloth or a number of torches.

Wanace

Where is the easiest place to mine coal? I've got a ton of copper but no coal to burn. And I definitely dont feel like spending 100 gold per.

Drazgul

Where is the easiest place to mine coal? I've got a ton of copper but no coal to burn. And I definitely dont feel like spending 100 gold per.

Go into the mines, there's no coal veins (maybe deeper), but there's minecarts on some levels that you can hit for a bunch.

Foraging 4 also unlocks charcoal kiln, 20 wood => 1 coal.

WaterAstro

Just a warning, guys.

When you complete a section of the Community Centre... TAKE THE FUCKING REWARD!

If you don't take it. It disappears.

Corpekata

Banned
Okay, think I've figured out my save issue. Happened again. Looking at the known issues, it appears to happen sometimes when you rank up a skill. Which is what it did for me both times. So I guess if you rank up a skill when you go to sleep, be wary about quitting until the next day.

WaterAstro

Okay, think I've figured out my save issue. Happened again. Looking at the known issues, it appears to happen sometimes when you rank up a skill. Which is what it did for me both times. So I guess if you rank up a skill when you go to sleep, be wary about quitting until the next day.

I figured that was it. I was ranking up once every single day for several days in a row.

Cerity

KFHOZq0.png

Done for the day I think. If you're on the fence for this game and you've enjoyed HM/RF games before, GRAB IT. Actually, get it regardless.

I don't think we'll see another game hit all the right points as well as this does all year.

Sloane

Banned
Just played it for an hour or so, super cute. My only complaint so far is the sloooow running speed, especially diagonally for some reason. Should be twice as fast.

Shepard

Just played it for an hour or so, super cute. My only complaint so far is the sloooow running speed, especially diagonally for some reason. Should be twice as fast.
I agree. I'm actually moving like I'm on a grid just because it feels a lot faster. Maybe the slow running speed will make getting a horse something more worthy this time, unlike in hm, where running was almost always just as fast.
Also, I cant remember the last time I played a game for 4 straight hours. Too bad Im working all day today. :(

Comandr

So I was suuuuper skeptical when I first saw this. I was convinced it was going to be garbage imitation. Boy was I wrong. The music is far and away one of the best qualities of the game. The characters are charming and the world is interesting. Honestly the worst part of the game is the run speed. Why is it so god awfully slow? And the areas you're forced to walk? Fucking kill me. I want to explore more and do more but you run so slow it is honestly a turn off.

Oh that thing I need is on the other side of town... Ehhhh.... I don't need it that bad. I heard there might be a buff to increase your run speed. I need something. A mod. A hack. A patch. Something.

LordAmused

The game was updated a few minutes ago. Here are the patch notes.

New Build -- Version 1.01
Fixes a few bugs, crashes, and unintended behaviors in Stardew Valley:

Fixed random crash when going to sleep after getting your pet
Sound effect volume now properly applied on load
'Error item' should no longer appear for sale in the Saloon
'Z' key is now bind-able
No longer possible to exit the Community Center menus while holding an item.
Finding your first artifact from a geode no longer destroys remaining held geodes.
Mature wild crops no longer disappear on day of load.
Crab pots can now be placed and removed without issue.
Fixed crash when inspecting chests in the mines.
You can no longer place chests in the mines
Tree seeds no longer incorrectly show a "Wrong Season" message
Fixed some map issues

I am aware of some more issues & will fix them as soon as possible!

I think the fish in lakes and streams/rivers are a lot easier to catch in general than the ones by the sea. I had a muvh easier time catching fish in that lake in south by Marnie's Ranch/The Wizards tower compared to the ones on the pier.

If y'all want to hook bait, you need to do it through the inventory screen, pick up your bait stack and right click to apply it on the fishing rod.

also sprinklers are pretty piddly and not worth IMO, you'd need to do a weird checkerboard-like layout for your crops for them to work fully.

Must be the fish themselves them. I can perfect the smallmouth bass pretty consistently, everything else is a little trickier.

As someone who's whole economy is fishing, and catch fish 100% of the time (even the treasures when they appear in the bar), lake, river or piers, im pretty sure the fish erratic movement is random. You can have a 10 inches herring being an ass, and a star sardine (probably the better fish money wise you get in the pier) staying below and never moving.

Comandr

Only if I can horse in the mines and in houses and use all of my tools whilst riding one. Because stopping every two seconds to pick up this or harvest that and oh look a person to talk to all while getting on and off a horse would be annoying as FUCK. The run speed sucks. That is objectively true. A horse would only mitigate the problem. Not solve it.

So you folks recommend the game?

Is there a story, endgame or like endless?

Totes recommended. Despite my complaining. There is a story: here's he deed to my farm. Don't screw it up. See you in two years. You are then graded. At the end of two years you can keep playing indefinitely.

Kiyo

Who is this and where can I find them?
v5NvZbi.png

I think it's the last person I need for the introduction quest and I can't seem to find them.

I really hope we can get some modding in.
Watching Maru's original design, I really like them much more than the game one:
Maru_Timeline.png

The pixel position and colouring of the final Maru looks less professional.
Would gladly change any of the top ones and put them in game.

Who is this and where can I find them?
v5NvZbi.png

I think it's the last person I need for the introduction quest and I can't seem to find them.

He is around the pier at 3pm-5pm

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
The game was updated a few minutes ago. Here are the patch notes.

I like how they fixed the crabpot issue after I sold the damn things. Haha christ.

So you folks recommend the game?

Is there a story, endgame or like endless?

It's a great game so far especially for those who enjoyed games of a similar flavour like Harvest Moon or Animal Crossing.

There is a characterized story but it's event based which means it can happen randomly and is mostly there for the benefit of building friendships with the townspeople.

Arthea

IDK, or something is very wrong with fishing, or it's bugged.
I can get items fine, but fish fishing process itself seems not to work. I mean I keep a fish on that green thingie I'm supposed to, nothing happens, then a fish just breaks free. Is it mouse controls to blame or a game or me?
I tried like 20 times, results are the same. Is it supposed to be so? Should I report a bug? or what?

So does Abigail cheat during the egghunt? Cant you even win it?
A little fucked up the mayor dont even say how many eggs she got to win the contest.

IDK, or something is very wrong with fishing, or it's bugged.
I can get items fine, but fish fishing process itself seems not to work. I mean I keep a fish on that green thingie I'm supposed to, nothing happens, then a fish just breaks free. Is it mouse controls to blame or a game or me?
I tried like 20 times, results are the same. Is it supposed to be so? Should I report a bug? or what?

Using controller and have no problem. Is difficult to get the hang of it at the beggining though.

LordAmused

Kale..

and kale

and a few potatoes..

and fishing in between harvest..

Kale...reminds me of GTA V? Maybe that's why I haven't grown any yet...

Got a few potatoes to harvest soon. And yeah, now that I understood how fishing works, I'm able to catch 10 fish a day.

I really hope we can get some modding in.
Watching Maru's original design, I really like them much more than the game one:
Maru_Timeline.png

The pixel position and colouring of the final Maru looks less professional.
Would gladly change any of the top ones and put them in game.

He is around the pier at 3pm-5pm

Wow that curly haired Maru looks great! Instant waifu if I can mod her to look like that

First error to desktop, thankfully it was at morning and didnt loose much progress.

Also Im level 5 fishing and you need to choose a special abiltity from 2 when you reach level 5.
Now my fish are 25% more valuable.

And fucking Pierre. Says his store closes at 6pm, but in reality he just stops working at 5pm. No wonder he is loosing customers to the joja store lol
I also have seen many time characters laze off during their work hours so you cant use their store. Makes them more real, but fuck if I always see them lazing off when I most need them lol
This guys works less than my country's banks lol

Wow that curly haired Maru looks great! Instant waifu if I can mod her to look like that

Yup. I didnt even want to see the other girls how they originally looked to not ruin how they look now.

I really hope someone mods faster running and portrait changes.

Comandr

I actually got the blueprints from the blacksmith after I woke up with 22 ore in my inventory. (20 required to create.) Might be related to having the necessary items to craft it.

While I do enjoy the farming and fishing etc, I find myself more motivated by relationship building in these games. How are the friendship and courtship mechanics/characters?

Where can I find iron ore easily?
I know the shop that sells you for 100 a piece, but I suppose theres an easier way to mine it.

I went up to the 6th floor of the mine and only found copper and topazium.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
While I do enjoy the farming and fishing etc, I find myself more motivated by relationship building in these games. How are the friendship and courtship mechanics/characters?

The same as in Harvest Moon games. Throw items at characters and they like you more, take part in their related events, etc. You can also complete quests from the bulletin board in town to make other characters like you more.

Where can I find iron ore easily?
I know the shop that sells you for 100 a piece, but I suppose theres an easier way to mine it.

I went up to the 6th floor of the mine and only found copper and topazium.

I think you can find iron ore starting around floor 40 or so in the mine.

Top Bottom