• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stardew Valley |OT| Resting Under a Harvest Moon [Up: now on PS4]

I'm thinking you get to make exponentially more money as time goes on. I'm still on my second crop and low on money but it looks like i'll be making a lot more this time around. Also, they aren't exactly early game goals, i'm thinking they are going to extend far into the game even if they're given to you early. Like, the one about meeting all the town folk.

I haven't figured out how to get friendly either, but it's probably with special gifts. Or during events. Don't know yet. I'm thinking marriage is an endgame kind of thing. Which is sad because i already know who i want to, errrr, "be happy with".

I got a quest from an NPC that if I do it for them I'll gain friendship with them. So I'm thinking either gifts and quests for them?

edit: regardless this game is going to be a huge time sink haha. I hope that expanding the house doesn't mean it actually grows in size because I put my first gated farm area like attached to my house on the left

And that, kids, is how I met your mother.

Hf3pzgr.png

Also seems a bit silly that you can't straight up give items to the community center straight from your main menu. It's the exact same popup, and it even reacts like it would if you drag an item, could have just made it so you could offer the items from anywhere on the map.

Shepard

Been playing for a while. Few questions:

- Is there seriously no faster way to make money? I understand that money here is necessary for big upgrades. But when one of my early game goals is to build a coop and a coop costs like 10K gold, and I don't even have a 1000 yet with crops taking forever to grow (and not giving you that much) it seems silly that the only other apparent way to make money is to fish.

- How do you gain affection from people? Seems like talking to them each day only makes them say 1-2 lines, it isn't growing affection.

1 - Raise crops and fish. Have a lots of seeds growing at the same time, so when they are ready you'll get lots and lots of money. Also, walk around the woods and grab everything you can get: it's an easy and fast way to afford more seeds.
2 - Give them gifts. You can gift them once a day, but only twice a week. Also, fulfilling quests is the fastest way to gain affection.

1 - Raise crops and fish. Have a lots of seeds growing at the same time, so when they are ready you'll get lots and lots of money. Also, walk around the woods and grab everything you can get: it's an easy and fast way to afford more seeds.
2 - Give them gifts. You can gift them once a day, but only twice a week. Also, fulfilling quests is the fastest way to gain affection.
Where do you buy gifts?

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Wish the chests counted as shared inventory when it comes to crafting. Bit annoying having to go back and forth all the time.

Also seems a bit silly that you can't straight up give items to the community center straight from your main menu. It's the exact same popup, and it even reacts like it would if you drag an item, could have just made it so you could offer the items from anywhere on the map.

Both of these would have been really helpful. The former isn't that bad now that I've bought the upgraded bag, but having to go all the way back to the community center every time I find something new gets a bit annoying at times, especially when I'm in the mines and my bag is full.

Where do you buy gifts?

You can just give them stuff you find around the valley, or use your crops. Linus seems to like any kind of foraged fruits you give him, like the salmonberries.

Cool thanks guys. Guess now I'm curious how to open up the dialogue to give them gifts. Do you just walk to them with the item and press the action button? Lol

Managed to get the game to work after changing "mscoree.dll" to another.

Goddamnit Windows.

Glad you make it work

Been playing for a while. Few questions:

- Is there seriously no faster way to make money? I understand that money here is necessary for big upgrades. But when one of my early game goals is to build a coop and a coop costs like 10K gold, and I don't even have a 1000 yet with crops taking forever to grow (and not giving you that much) it seems silly that the only other apparent way to make money is to fish.

- How do you gain affection from people? Seems like talking to them each day only makes them say 1-2 lines, it isn't growing affection.

Always check the pinboard in front of Pierre's store. From time to time quests appears, also I think you can get point during random events, like one day Robin
sent me a letter asking for help to find her axe
and on the same day I got an event where Linus
was searching for food inside George's trash can
I got to make a choice and he seemed to like what I answered to him.

quests seem pretty long term.

The dude wants you to go down to level 40 in the mines after getting to level 5 lol.

Yeah, at least the other quest he gives is to kill 10 slimes.

Persona7

Banned
I want this SOOOO bad. :(

I just need to upgrade my pc.

What are your specs?

the requirements

Minimum system requirements - Windows: 7 / 8 / 10
Processor: 2 Ghz
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: 256 MB video memory, shader model 3.0+
DirectX: Version 10
Storage: 500 MB available space

mileS

More impressions please! Can't get the game for a few days :/ still can't believe it's finally here... followed it on and off since the first announcement.

MayMay

Banned
So what are the impressions so far? Good game? Really considering to pick this up, but I got burned buying Harvest Moon clones before..

Cerity

So what are the impressions so far? Good game? Really considering to pick this up, but I got burned buying Harvest Moon clones before..

I already think it's a better HM game than most of the recent entries. There are a lot of little details in it that you can tell this is all a labour of love by the dev. eg. There are a variety of different birds that all have their own behaviour. Crows/Ravens eat away at your crops, you'll find woodpeckers making holes in trees and so on.

I'd be willing to bet quite a lot of money any glaring issues with the game will get fixed and a lot of QoL stuff will be added as users suggest them.

Really great to see it being #1 on steam, ConcernedApe really deserves it.

Wanace

Very good. Best "Harvest Moon" game since Friends of Mineral Town.

I've put in 2 hours so far and I'm loving it.

Alastor3

Any chance at all to play this on a Mac any day soon

Yes, install windows on it. Since it's a 1-man team, it will never come out on Mac in my opinion. If you really want to play it, you should install a VM and windows 7 and play it. It's the only solution

finalflame

Gold Member
I'm such a huge Harvest Moon fan, and I've been so excited for this game, but the review stating it is a bit rough around the edges has me worried. I might wait for the developer to get a couple of patches in before jumping on the bandwagon.

Can anyone give impressions? I really wish the dev had gone with a style closer to BTN or MM rather than SNES, but oh well, still looks gorgeous.

Garuda1One

its my 12th day and im broke.. like 20G broke and still waiting for my harvest..

how am i going to afford that coop lol

Khilandros

Any tips on fishing with the starter rod, I'm having a hard time catching fish. Maybe I just suck and need practice, but I'm having a hard time trying to keep that green box on the fish.

Artanisix

fishing is good early game golds

crops / animals seem like the long-term haul once you can stack enough and power up your watering can etc

mines is decent income if you go deep enough

CatBert

Neo Member
Ohhh I love this game. 23rd day of Spring, trying to work towards a chicken coop but dang. I finally bought myself a bigger back pack so hopefully that will help me.

I have to say, as a lady, I am a little disappointed in the eligible bachelors.
Alex: Annoying jock
Elliot: Hair longer than mine
Harvey: Quiet nerdy older dude, dat moustache
Sam: skateboarder with super siayan hair
Sebastian: Emo parent's-basement dweller

Meanwhile, all the women are total babes.

Garuda1One

Any tips on fishing with the starter rod, I'm having a hard time catching fish. Maybe I just suck and need practice, but I'm having a hard time trying to keep that green box on the fish.

just dont spam left click, just hold it to pull the green box up, and do it slowly. You'll get better..

Cerity

I think the fish in lakes and streams/rivers are a lot easier to catch in general than the ones by the sea. I had a muvh easier time catching fish in that lake in south by Marnie's Ranch/The Wizards tower compared to the ones on the pier.

ameleco

Started playing this earlier but can't play again till tomorrow night 😔 does anyone know if those random fishing quests you don't complete are recorded? Cant find a large bass to save my life

Alastor3

I think the fish in lakes and streams/rivers are a lot easier to catch in general than the ones by the sea. I had a muvh easier time catching fish in that lake in south by Marnie's Ranch/The Wizards tower compared to the ones on the pier.

I saw no difference

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Feels like I've spent almost all day playing it since this morning. I did a bit of mining early on along with the farming, but I've switched over to fishing and seeing a steady income per day. Gotta get that Coop!

I'm one of the old breed that loved the original Harvest Moon and noticed the upgrades through each iteration but there seemed to be no major hook via nostalgia. But this game scratches all of the right itches and is an obvious labor of love and homage. The only downside so far after 6hrs, and I believe it was mentioned before, but the only thing I dislike is the run speed which seems to be married completely to the amount of time available per day.

After like 6-7 hours, this game has definitely surpassed Mineral Town and become my favourite.

It feels like a true sequel, and I vastly enjoy the difficulty, sidequests, and variety of things to do.

I think what I love most is how long and hard things take, but when they slowly come together, it feels amazing.

In Mineral Town, I had a whole barn of animals in no time. In this game, I'm almost done Summer and have FINALLY got 3 chickens. You have to first build the barns and coops, which takes like 2 days. Then you buy the animals. You also need a silo for storage.

I hope Winter is really punishing and changes things up pretty well.

So far, I have a chicken coop, 3 chickens, 1 silo, default house, and a few crops. I wanted to bank on the animals and use the money for expanded my crops. But then I got distracted by mining to the 60th level in the mines, and I also really want to improve my fishing skill.

I cant wait to have a huge farm. I absolutely love this game. The best surprise hit since like Rocket League. Please tell all your damn friends

I have no problem with the run speed or time in the day to be honest.

My only gripes are two:

-The fluidity of the controls doesnt always feel good. It's fine though, just takes some getting used to and requires you to not rush the inputs.

-None of the waifus compare to Karen. That girl was a pain to marry, had to give her so much damn wine, and in the end, I gave up.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Will this game go mobile? Do you think it's a good fit for mobile?

Added it to my Steam wishlist. I'll get to it after Danganronpa.

Khilandros

ok, so I can fish a lot better with my xbox one controller than my mouse. I guess the click sensitivity on my mouse it too high/low, not sure how I can change that for this game, but I guess I'll stick to the controller with that stuff *shrugs*.

Cerity

If y'all want to hook bait, you need to do it through the inventory screen, pick up your bait stack and right click to apply it on the fishing rod.

also sprinklers are pretty piddly and not worth IMO, you'd need to do a weird checkerboard-like layout for your crops for them to work fully.

I saw no difference

Must be the fish themselves them. I can perfect the smallmouth bass pretty consistently, everything else is a little trickier.

Wanace

Is there any way to move or destroy chests/furnaces? I placed a chest in my house but I think I might want to move it later. I emptied everything out and tried to move it but couldn't like I could move the TV, chair, etc.

Seil

Is there any way to move or destroy chests/furnaces? I placed a chest in my house but I think I might want to move it later. I emptied everything out and tried to move it but couldn't like I could move the TV, chair, etc.

Hit it with your pickaxe, that should work.

-None of the waifus compare to Karen. That girl was a pain to marry, had to give her so much damn wine, and in the end, I gave up.
I also agree that none of these women trumps Karen as best waifu.
Saving that vineyard was super hard.
I kind of hoped Caroline could have been a potential waifu but disappointed that she is not.

Corpekata

Banned
I think it didn't save right one night. I explored the mines to level 5 and had a bunch of loot, went to sleep, now I appear to be behind a day, I think?

Top Bottom