• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stardew Valley |OT| Resting Under a Harvest Moon [Up: now on PS4]

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
This may seem like a silly thing to ask but bear with me: does this game has portraits of characters when, say, you are speaking to them and if they do, are they static or dynamic depending on the emotion of the characters?

Ps4 version, BTW.

TheBera

This may seem like a silly thing to ask but bear with me: does this game has portraits of characters when, say, you are speaking to them and if they do, are they static or dynamic depending on the emotion of the characters?

Ps4 version, BTW.

Every character has a portrait and for most of them it changes depending on their emotion during the conversation. It's pretty cool!

danowat

Banned
So guys I can't decide whether to pick this game up for my Mac or for my PS4 Pro, I guess my main concern is controls.

Any thoughts?

It seems (to me at least) that the main sticking point for the controls is that it is not entirely controller driven, by this I mean that there is still some necessity for using the RS as a mouse pointer, but IMO, this is minimal and doesn't affect the experience too much.

Personally, if you like the premise of the game, go for it, what there is that is good far outweighs any negatives with the controls (IMO)

I have it for PS4 Pro and haven't had any issues a lot of people have had with the pro version. Also, as for the controls, they drove me nuts for like the first ten minutes of the game, but I actually kind of like them now. Only thing that kind of drives me crazy still is have to scroll from the left or right for items.

I think I'll go for the Mac version simply so I have something else to play other on the go than that dopamine-drip feed mental torture device known as Hearthstone.

theDeeDubs

Also, as for the controls, they drove me nuts for like the first ten minutes of the game, but I actually kind of like them now.

I'm with you. Controls are fine now. After the patch made 'B' back instead of exit on the community center menus, I'm content.

Are you running it off an external HDD?

I am, and can hear the HDD chunter every time it hitches.

Sorry to get back to you late. I am running this off the internal. Which is serendipitous because I usually run things off my external. The only reason I am not now, is because I just got this S and haven't set it up to install things to the external primarily yet.

Really excited to pick this one up once I hopefully get through my gaming backlog in the next few weeks or so. Hopefully by then the Playstation Pro issues are ironed out.

I've never played a Harvest Moon game and I really don't have any idea what I'm getting myself in to, which is kind of exciting.

TheKeyPit

Banned
14 bottles of the finest starfruit wine(not aged):
screenshot-original328os5g.png

Wine production on the top; Maple syrup on the left; beehive preparations for spring/summer on the bottom right(I need more coal; I'll probably have to buy it from Clint).

I'm ready for year 2.

----------------------------

I've only just started, is there any sort of recomended mod list?

Definitely this:
FINALLY!

Sorry guys for taking some more days than I thought. Finished with Haley yesterday night (at 2am) and, then had to do this morning some edits and wrong things I saw in the other sprite sheets, and edited some of the ingame sprites (like maru having longer hair). So ive been tweaking somethings, made a banner, some txt with intructions and put everything on a tidy package that I hope is easy to understand.

So here it is:
bannersfj5c.png

https://mega.nz/#!9Bh2GToJ!l4vln23PLiUNAmdOFtMaPga8m65WkDmIJGOOquYsQXo

You have a different folder so you can choose the Maru portrait you most like to use in the game (you have to choose one for normal maru and one for Nurse Maru, so you can mix and match what you like).

About making the bachelors, right now, Im not going to do it, even wanting to do this ones, and the end it started being too much work and had to compensate it with my real life work. I also want to play more that game, that I basically stopped playing becuase I was making the mods lol
So yeah, if I make it at the end, is not going to be soon (I also think the ones the game got are particularly good compraed to the some of the females ones).

I hope you like them!

Going to put them also in the mods section at the stardew valley forums.

Its a bug or a very annoying design decession.
You can hoe them the next day. It has happened to me already twice.

You get various cool weapons for each thing done in the list, so more than a bitching sword ;)

I have it for PS4 Pro and haven't had any issues a lot of people have had with the pro version.

Just redownloaded the game and played for a few hours. From the looks of it, I can close stardew and play other digitalgames but when I try to boot up a disc based game, it just sits on the startup screen. Just did a complete shutdown of the system and booted up FFXV and it worked.

Just redownloaded the game and played for a few hours. From the looks of it, I can close stardew and play other digitalgames but when I try to boot up a disc based game, it just sits on the startup screen. Just did a complete shutdown of the system and booted up FFXV and it worked.

Pretty much what I have been doing after every time I'm done playing SDV is shut the system down, even if I know I'm gonna play something else. I then just boot it back up and load whatever game I want to play next. I haven't had a single issue doing this method (knock on hardwood). I know some people were having issues with their pro from trying to load a game straight from SDV, or going into sleep mode and then trying to boot up something else.

Man, I'd love to get this on my Pro but all the problems getting reported in this thread are concerning. So the rest mode and similar problems aren't really fixed yet?

vix

I'm nearing the end of summer/year one and I feel like I haven't accomplished anything. There's just so much to do, I'm not sure where to start. I've sort of been trying to do the community center bundles but I know I can't complete some of them now. I've been doing the mine and fishing a lot. I'm just trying to get a decent amount of money I guess. I want the last backpack upgrade and iridium rod and I'd love a kitchen. All the crops I harvest, should I sell that stuff in the bin or keep it for other stuff?

Retro

I'm nearing the end of summer/year one and I feel like I haven't accomplished anything. There's just so much to do, I'm not sure where to start. I've sort of been trying to do the community center bundles but I know I can't complete some of them now. I've been doing the mine and fishing a lot. I'm just trying to get a decent amount of money I guess. I want the last backpack upgrade and iridium rod and I'd love a kitchen. All the crops I harvest, should I sell that stuff in the bin or keep it for other stuff?

First, relax. There's no time limit on anything; you can take as long as you want to finish the community center, build a kitchen, get a spouse, have kids, grow a farm empire, etc.

I like to keep a handful of every item just in case someone asks for one for a quest (in this, sheds are essential, storage was pretty rough before they were added to the game), but otherwise I sell everything. Early on, it's probably more important to make money than hang onto stuff 'just in case', so sell it.

Obviously you always want your preserves jars and kegs working (Farming level 4 and 8, respectively), but otherwise sell whatever you're growing if you can't immediately use it to make an artisan good; those always sell for more.

Beyond that, this is such a relaxed game, despite the frantic pace you seemingly need to get everything done in a day. Just remember; those days are limitless, play the way you want.

vix

First, relax. There's no time limit on anything; you can take as long as you want to finish the community center, build a kitchen, get a spouse, have kids, grow a farm empire, etc.

I like to keep a handful of every item just in case someone asks for one for a quest (in this, sheds are essential, storage was pretty rough before they were added to the game), but otherwise I sell everything. Early on, it's probably more important to make money than hang onto stuff 'just in case', so sell it.

Obviously you always want your preserves jars and kegs working (Farming level 4 and 8, respectively), but otherwise sell whatever you're growing if you can't immediately use it to make an artisan good; those always sell for more.

Beyond that, this is such a relaxed game, despite the frantic pace you seemingly need to get everything done in a day. Just remember; those days are limitless, play the way you want.
I'm not as frazzled as my post sounded. :) I'm just not remotely sure what I should focus on. Is there anything missable in the game? I think that's my biggest worry. I know as far as the ps4 version goes, I think a trophy might be missable, something to do with JoJa I think. Not worried about that. More so the quests or mining or stuff like that. I know certain stuff is limited to seasons but is there anything totally missable? Thanks for the tips though, had no idea there were sheds. :)

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'm not as frazzled as my post sounded. :) I'm just not remotely sure what I should focus on. Is there anything missable in the game? I think that's my biggest worry. I know as far as the ps4 version goes, I think a trophy might be missable, something to do with JoJa I think. Not worried about that. More so the quests or mining or stuff like that. I know certain stuff is limited to seasons but is there anything totally missable? Thanks for the tips though, had no idea there were sheds. :)
My understanding is the JoJa thing is the only real missable, and it's because it's a parallel path to the Community Center stuff.

Retro

There's literally one thing that you can miss, an event with Shane that apparently only happens in your first summer (and I may be wrong, but I believe that's been fixed too since he was made a marriage candidate). That's literally it, everything else is either waiting for you to trigger it or repeats (holidays and such). Quests, mining, etc. is all waiting for when you're ready.

The Joja thing isn't really something you miss (minor spoilers):
you have the option to buy a membership to Jojamart, which is the last straw for the Mayor who decides to sell the land to Joja, and they turn it into a warehouse.
It's simply a choice you get to make, Joja or the Community Center, so that achievement is probably best earned on an alternative playthru just to trigger it.

So the first sprinkler only waters the 4 adjacent compass point tiles?

That's.......not very useful....

Yeah, the first sprinklers are pretty weak; if I use them at all, I use them for long-growing crops just so I don't have to wanter *everything*. The next upgrade hits the adjacent 8 tiles and is much more useful.

Stencil

Is it difficult going from PC controls to console controls?

Played about 80hrs on Mac and want to double dip for PS4 but wondering if the switch in controls will be difficult to get used to...

Amiibro

Popped in to see if the Pro rest issue had been fixed. Leaving disappointed.

Yeah me too. This is a bummer. I showed my four year old daughter the trailer for the game and we have talked about it for about a month now. She hasn't said anything about it for about a week but she was super excited to play together. We can only play on the Pro and I bought this day one right when it released not even expecting critical problems. How did it even get passed certification to sell???

I'm still excited for this game and want to play with her as soon as it's fixed.

Cincaid

Yeah me too. This is a bummer. I showed my four year old daughter the trailer for the game and we have talked about it for about a month now. She hasn't said anything about it for about a week but she was super excited to play together. We can only play on the Pro and I bought this day one right when it released not even expecting critical problems. How did it even get passed certification to sell???

I'm still excited for this game and want to play with her as soon as it's fixed.

I'm not trying to swoop this issue under the rug, but I honestly don't understand how this will hinder you from playing? Or is it that you want to be able to put the machine in rest mode while the game is running?

I'm playing on a Pro (and having a great time with the game), but I always quit my games anyway before putting my machine in rest mode. Or is it something else I'm missing with this bug?

I'm not trying to swoop this issue under the rug, but I honestly don't understand how this will hinder you from playing? Or is it that you want to be able to put the machine in rest mode while the game is running?

I'm playing on a Pro (and having a great time with the game), but I always quit my games anyway before putting my machine in rest mode. Or is it something else I'm missing with this bug?

Is that the only issue with playing on a Pro? That doesn't really seem like much of a problem.

Cincaid

Is that the only issue with playing on a Pro? That doesn't really seem like much of a problem.

There are some minor bugs (which aren't tied to Pro I think), like music cutting off here and there. As far as I know the only issue tied to playing on a Pro is that putting your machine into rest mode is wonky while/after playing.

First beehive setup is complete. 26 beehives + 1 flower.

Nice! I assume this means you don't need a lot of flowers for beehives? They all benefit from a single flower?

Also, where did you get that awesome road schematic from? And do roads get destroyed eventually just like fences?

Edit: Welp, found my answer! :)

TheKeyPit

Banned
There are some minor bugs (which aren't tied to Pro I think), like music cutting off here and there. As far as I know the only issue tied to playing on a Pro is that putting your machine into rest mode is wonky while/after playing.

Nice! I assume this means you don't need a lot of flowers for beehives? They all benefit from a single flower?

Also, where did you get that awesome road schematic from? And do roads get destroyed eventually just like fences?

Edit: Welp, found my answer! :)

Correct. This setup lets you use one single flower for 26 beehives. You can fit in more hives, but then you are not able to walk around anymore :)

heringer

I wish there was a consistent way to discover what people love/hate. There aren't enough hints in the dialogues. Reading in the wiki feels wrong.

TheKeyPit

Banned
In the middle of spring year 2. I'm going to plant some summer fruit trees next. The upper half of my farm should be complete then.

I wish there was a consistent way to discover what people love/hate. There aren't enough hints in the dialogues. Reading in the wiki feels wrong.

You can guess some of it :D Maru, who is obviously into technical stuff, loves batteries as a gift. Linus likes stuff available through foraging; who would've thought.

heringer

In the middle of spring year 2. I'm going to plant some summer fruit trees next. The upper half of my farm should be complete then.

You can guess some of it :D Maru, who is obviously into technical stuff, loves batteries as a gift. Linus likes stuff available through foraging; who would've thought.

Yeah, guessing "liked" itens is generally easy, but "loved" are usually very specific. For instance, Maru loves strawberry, which I found out by accident.

Maybe they could give you a hint of what they loved when you gave them something they liked. This is an issue with every Harvest Moon game though. Of the games I played I think only Rune Factory 3 consistently gives you hints of what people love.

Top Bottom